Do you have your sub in front or behind you? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Noel Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the traditional design is in front-right or front-left but I'm considering putting my new sub (STF-2 on the way) on the same far back wall my couch is on. (In the back right corner right under my right surround)

Since my couch, my surrounds, and my sub will all be on the far back wall with me does this lead to bad mojo? Or will I enjoy the corner's bass effects?

(My old sub was next to the TV on the left and it sounded awright. But this new HSU should blow away my old sub)
Noel Goodman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reecew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wichita, KS area
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sub placement is trial and error. There is no "standard" place to put it. Try all your palcement options and whatever sound best go for it. I personally have my sub in the right rear corner of my room and thats the "best place" for mine. I tried several options measuring the output of each before settling on it. So try it out if it sounds better then go for it if not put it somewhere else.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
reecew is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,122
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My sub is in the back of the room next to my couch. For me it was the only place I had left in the room to place it. It has worked out pretty good so far. But if you have more then one option I would try a few and see which gives the best result.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Noel Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys, I was wondering if hearing the bass behind/next to you would sound significantly different than right in front of you and if I would like it.

I'm going to experiment some but unless it sounds horrible I'm going for a rear set up. Thanks.
Noel Goodman is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
monomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: up north
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Your "bad mojo" is having the couch against the back wall... you are just asking for unresovable FR issues by sitting right at a room boundary. Also you need some distance from your surrounds to get the proper effect. If possible try to set the couch (listening positions) about a third of the way into the room and then experiment with any sub placement options.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
monomer is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Your "bad mojo" is having the couch against the back wall... you are just asking for unresovable FR issues by sitting right at a room boundary. Also you need some distance from your surrounds to get the proper effect. If possible try to set the couch (listening positions) about a third of the way into the room and then experiment with any sub placement options.

38% from the back wall and that can change due to openings into the room.

Bill
bsoko2 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lalakersfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Experiment as much as possible. I've tried nearfield and rear placement and it doesn't work for me at all...way too easy to pinpoint where the sub is, even after careful (read: not hot) calibration and EQ. This was with an 80hz crossover - perhaps with very capable main speakers crossed over at 40hz it might be be an issue. Others don't seem to have this problem and love the added impact of nearfield placement. Monomer also has a good point about your seating position. Sitting against the rear wall will often result in boomy bass as well as poor imaging due to reflections off the back wall. You'd be surprised how big an improvement can be had from proper seating placement.
lalakersfan34 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Noel Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah nothing doin' fellas. My living room is a giant skinny rectangle.

My theater is set up in the left corner by the front door of the house.

The other side of my rectangular living room is opening to the kitchen.

The dimensions are like 12 feet across 25 feet long (8 feet high)

Now I do postion the couch 6-7 feet from the corner wall. (Where the sub will go/where my right rear surround is)

The left surround is also 6-7 feet to my left on a swivel wall mount so it aims at my ear. (About 5 inches higher than my ear)

That's about all I can do.
Noel Goodman is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Noel Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think placement right alongside my couch would be better than a corner placement?
Noel Goodman is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lalakersfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you take any pics of your room so we have a better idea of what you're working with? Your description helped a little, but a picture really is worth a thousand words sometimes . If pictures aren't possible, a diagram could also help.
lalakersfan34 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,122
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I agree. If you can take some pictures or even a simple diagram it would be great. I know that the person who set up my sub wanted to put it in the front corner but the sub reacted to much with my TV. I think he played around with the distance setting in my preamp to also try and get it to sound its best. Sort of fooling the sub into thinking it was in a different spot. That may be an option as well if you place it in the back of the room next to you.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

MIkeDuke is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ralarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Goodman View Post

I know the traditional design is in front-right or front-left but I'm considering putting my new sub (STF-2 on the way) on the same far back wall my couch is on. (In the back right corner right under my right surround)

Since my couch, my surrounds, and my sub will all be on the far back wall with me does this lead to bad mojo? Or will I enjoy the corner's bass effects?

(My old sub was next to the TV on the left and it sounded awright. But this new HSU should blow away my old sub)

Both, best option, IMHO, is two sub woofers.

Cheers
Ralarcon is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have mine behind me. Like others have said, there is no right answer. Just depends on the room. In my room, what I found is behind me gives me a flat response across my entire couch. Up in the front of the room, I get widely varying frequency responses in different seats across the couch.
Redskin is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do people find any odd tactile feelings when the sub is behind them?

I have read that sometimes it feels odd for the bass to be felt behind you when the action is in front of you.
goonstopher is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reecew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wichita, KS area
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Do people find any odd tactile feelings when the sub is behind them?

I have read that sometimes it feels odd for the bass to be felt behind you when the action is in front of you.

Well i think my sub is a different situation than most. I am running a DIY horn. Horns are alot less directional to begin with than your conventional ported or sealed designs. My whole room shakes from all angles is very hard to explain. The best way to say is the bass swallows you. If i blind folded anyone and put them in the LP and demoed the sub it would be very hard for them to tell me where the sub was if they could even guess. So my answer is absolutely not. The only oddess is the awesomeness of the bass

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
reecew is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
uni_panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hear people talk about near field placement from time to time. What is the advantage of this? I'm pretty much a rookie but I lurk these forums all the time trying to learn. I realize room accoustics will play a huge part and also even room layout but for discussions sake if you were to have a great response from your sub you shouldn't ever be able to tell at all if it is in front of you, behind you, near you, or away from you should you? Real world applications may indeed restrict you from certain areas as you might be able to tell that the sound is in fact directional but given a "perfect room" you shouldn't be able to tell where the sub is no matter where you placed it correct?
uni_panther is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reecew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wichita, KS area
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

I hear people talk about near field placement from time to time. What is the advantage of this? I'm pretty much a rookie but I lurk these forums all the time trying to learn. I realize room accoustics will play a huge part and also even room layout but for discussions sake if you were to have a great response from your sub you shouldn't ever be able to tell at all if it is in front of you, behind you, near you, or away from you should you? Real world applications may indeed restrict you from certain areas as you might be able to tell that the sound is in fact directional but given a "perfect room" you shouldn't be able to tell where the sub is no matter where you placed it correct?

Correct. And thats why everytime someone brings up placement the majority answer is play with your options. Whatever sounds best to you do that. Not every room is created equal nor is every position. So what works for me or you may be horrible for others.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
reecew is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

Correct. And thats why everytime someone brings up placement the majority answer is play with your options. Whatever sounds best to you do that. Not every room is created equal nor is every position. So what works for me or you may be horrible for others.

Nearfield is meant to take room effect out of the picture to an extent.
goonstopher is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off