Battle of the $800 subwoofer - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you were going to buy this a $800(ish) sub, which would it be?
Epik Empire 0 0%
HSU VTF-3 MK3 0 0%
Elemental Designs A5-350 0 0%
Elemental Designs A7S-450 0 0%
Other: i.e. Rythmic, SVS, etc. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, so after spending way more time reading on these forums than I wanted to and waiting for the all important green light from my wife, I'm ready to buy a sub. As many people on these forums, I would like to stay in the $800ish range. My room is approx. 23'x13'x8' with two openings to a small dining area and a hallway. 85/15 HT/Music. Anyways, I thought I'd throw in a poll for fun with the subs I'm considering. I know there are other subs in the price range Im looking at and for those I will have a "other" option for the poll, however, I'm pretty set after all of the reading I've done on the options I am looking at. I should add that Epik is within driving distance to my home, however, the ED includes shipping.... anyways, any comments would be appreciated.
I currently have
Def Tech 7002s
Def Tech C/L/R 2500
Def Tech BPX Rears
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Thanks!
p.s. I know there is a typo in the poll but it won't let me change that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I also am a neighbor of Epik as well. You really should try the Empire for $799. You can drive there and pick it up. You have 30 days to decide whether you like it or not. If not, you drive it back for a full refund and try out something else. What do you have to lose?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I also am a neighbor of Epik as well. You really should try the Empire for $799. You can drive there and pick it up. You have 30 days to decide whether you like it or not. If not, you drive it back for a full refund and try out something else. What do you have to lose?

Good point, but to be perfectly honest, I don't have alot to base the comparison on except the supercubes I've heard played in the local HT stores... that's why I rely so much on personal testimonials from people who have been doing this much longer than I have.

BTW: I have wood floors in the my HT room. Are the Auralex products worth buying? Also, for something the size of the Empire, would I need to buy more than one Gramma or subdude?
Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Not sure if $800 is your maximum budget but with a room that size I would consider a dual sub setup which will give you a nice even bass response. Also if you are a handy person I would recommend this kit from eD which is the same as the A7s-650.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=849
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

BTW: I have wood floors in the my HT room. 1) Are the Auralex products worth buying?

Also, for something the size of the Empire, 2) would I need to buy more than one Gramma or subdude?

1) Yes, well worth it, especially if room is other than a basement.

2) Maybe, but it is easy to calculate using the on-line Auralex dimensions to compare to the sub's dimensions.

Wish I was contimplating a $800 sub!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

SACD Collection: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7966/1
post #6 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an Ed A5-350 and its fantastic. Isn't the Epic dynasty not even out yet? Really can't go wrong with any of those ID companies though I've only heard good things
post #7 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

I have an Ed A5-350 and its fantastic. Isn't the Epic dynasty not even out yet? Really can't go wrong with any of those ID companies though I've only heard good things

The Epik Dynasty has been out for about a year now and is likely no longer being produced. The OP has the Epik Empire on his list though and yes, it has already been released and has shipped to several already.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

Not sure if $800 is your maximum budget but with a room that size I would consider a dual sub setup which will give you a nice even bass response. Also if you are a handy person I would recommend this kit from eD which is the same as the A7s-650.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=849

Unless I go much cheaper on the sub, i can't swing a dual set up for now, and I think I would enjoy the one sub just as much for the time being.. I can always add another later.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

You could pickup two A2-300s and come in under your budget.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page