This is to anyone who is using a PS3 as a BD/DVD Player and a AVR for surround sound. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is to anyone who is using a PS3 as a BD/DVD Player and a AVR for surround sound.

I need some help here. I was watching Iron Man tonight and noticed there wasn't much LFE on the opening scene when the Hummer in front of Tony Stark's was blown up. So I changed my Audio Output setting in the PS3, and this is what I found out.

This is the menu structure of the PS3:
Settings; Sound Settings; Audio Output settings; HDMI; Auto or Manual

On Auto, mine was set to:
Linear PCM 2 ch 44.1 Khz, and
Linear PCM 2 ch 48 Khz

If you change it over to Manual this is your options:
Dolby Digital 5.1 ch
DTS 5.1 ch
Linear PCM 5.1 and 7.1 ch @
44.1 Khz
88.2 Khz
176.4 Khz
48 Khz
96 Khz
192 Khz

What I realized was that if I changed the setting manually to anything with the (.1) other than the 2 ch Auto setting I got a lot more LFE. I watched the same scene in Iron Man and felt the explosion this time. The only problem was, I wasn't getting any sound out of my two rear channels. I am running a 7.1 channel system. I changed the PS3 settings from 5.1 to 7.1, and still no sound out of the two rears. All 7.1 channels were lighting up on my Yamaha RX-V1800 showing they were getting a signal. Any ideas what is going on? I read through the PS manual, but all it says is Sony recommends you use the Auto Setting unless you are using a optical cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Thats funny, cause I'm pretty sure the PS3 has the latest decoders for dolby true HD and DTS HD if I'm not mistaken. Its gotta be something in your system settings.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post

Thats funny, cause I'm pretty sure the PS3 has the latest decoders for dolby true HD and DTS HD if I'm not mistaken. Its gotta be something in your system settings.

Any ideas what settings I could look at? This is not the PS3 slim either. It is the 80g Fat one

The only other setting I found was Bitstream or PCM setting. If you change it over to Bitstream it says you may loose some audio...
post #4 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My PS3 is set to "auto" running through my Denon 3808 and it works flawlessly. I'm getting all of the available 5.1, 7.1, and PCM options etc.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You should set it to Linear PCM 7.1
post #6 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

You should set it to Linear PCM 7.1

I tried the PCM 7.1, 44.1 Khz and the 7.1 48 Khz together, but no sound was coming out of the two rear channels. Does anyone know what all the different Khz ratings are for?
post #7 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM

I know this may sound stupid but is the movie you are trying to play full 6.1 or 7.1? If not you are going to have to use one of the listening modes to use all 7 channels.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Liked: 12
Turn DRC off on the PS3. You shouldn't have to mess with the other settings.
post #9 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 439
You should have it set to auto(it will select all the choices) and then set your hdmi to PCM as it can't send bitstream hd audio. Make sure the source is 7.1 because if not you will have to select prologic2x or z or whatever to get the rear channels to come on.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocDoc View Post

I tried the PCM 7.1, 44.1 Khz and the 7.1 48 Khz together, but no sound was coming out of the two rear channels. Does anyone know what all the different Khz ratings are for?

Ironman is 5.1 There shouldn't be any sound coming from the rear speakers.
post #11 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj81 View Post

Ironman is 5.1 There shouldn't be any sound coming from the rear speakers.

You usually want the PS3 to send 5.1 LPCM and let your receiver matrix it to 7.1 with PLII.
post #12 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 View Post

I know this may sound stupid but is the movie you are trying to play full 6.1 or 7.1? If not you are going to have to use one of the listening modes to use all 7 channels.

Iron Man is 5.1 True HD, and I tried playing through different decoders on the AVR, but still no sound out of the rears. Yamaha calls it Cinema DSP.
post #13 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

You usually want the PS3 to send 5.1 LPCM and let your receiver matrix it to 7.1 with PLII.

Do you know at what Khz? Are you saying change the decoder on the receiver to PLII will convert the 5.1 from the PS3 to 7.1?
post #14 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 439
The PS3 will only send out 7.1 PCM if the source was encoded with it. Ironman is 5.1 so the PS3 will send out 5.1 pcm. Your receiver will get this info and then send it out in the way you tell it to. Prologic II does not do 7.1 I believe, you need prologic IIx or better(I could be wrong). THX ultra 2 and dts neo will turn the back channels on as well.
post #15 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

The PS3 will only send out 7.1 PCM if the source was encoded with it. Ironman is 5.1 so the PS3 will send out 5.1 pcm. Your receiver will get this info and then send it out in the way you tell it to. Prologic II does not do 7.1 I believe, you need prologic IIx or better(I could be wrong). THX ultra 2 and dts neo will turn the back channels on as well.

Okay. I put in on PCM 7.1, and the only way I can get sound out of the rear speakers is when it is on 7 channel stereo where all the speakers are playing the same signal. Do you have a 7.1 setup? Thanks for the help.
post #16 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

I got a fat PS3 and a Yamaha Rx-v465. Just do this make sure its on straight mode, surround decoder PLIIx/z whatever... by going on the extd surround section.
post #17 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This may sound like a silly suggestion, but do you have the latest firmware installed for your ps3? If not then GET IT! AND NOW!!! Tons of updates have come out over the years.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #18 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

This may sound like a silly suggestion, but do you have the latest firmware installed for your ps3? If not then GET IT! AND NOW!!! Tons of updates have come out over the years.

Yes I have the latest firmware. I am running it wireless, so not problems with updates. I went into the PS3 settings and checked ALL the boxes for the Manual sound output. Still no sound out of the two rears. I popped in Rambo (The only 7.1 movie I have) and it played through all the channels. So pretty much all my 5.1 movies don't play on all 7 speakers/ unless I am missing something else here??? My question is, If I got a dedicated BD player connected to my AVR, would I still have this same problem?

Thanks for all the help and advise guys.
post #19 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Yes I have the latest firmware. I am running it wireless, so not problems with updates. I went into the PS3 settings and checked ALL the boxes for the Manual sound output. Still no sound out of the two rears. I popped in Rambo (The only 7.1 movie I have) and it played through all the channels. So pretty much all my 5.1 movies don't play on all 7 speakers/ unless I am missing something else here??? My question is, If I got a dedicated BD player connected to my AVR, would I still have this same problem?

Thanks for all the help and advise guys.

You will have this with problem with a dedicated BD player. This should be reciever setting as stated above.

The only thing i can think of is try and do a factory reset on the ps3. Then try the auto setting again for video and audio output. Make sure it is outputing the correct formats then try the settings on the reciever again
post #20 of 36 Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

I got a fat PS3 and a Yamaha Rx-v465. Just do this make sure its on straight mode, surround decoder PLIIx/z whatever... by going on the extd surround section.

Do as suggested here. I used to have a ps3 for blu rays till the damn thing died on me. I have a Yamaha RXV-663. With that setup I had the ps3 set for LPCM, and NOT Bitstream.

On the receiver I have always had the surround decoder as Spectacle.

Also do the following...

1. Hit the AMP button your receiver remote.
2. Hit the Menu Button on your receiver remote.
3. Select Manual Input.
4. Select Sound Menu
5. Select Dynamic Range, set this to MAX
6. Hit the RETURN button on your remote.
7. Select EXTD Surr. in the Menu.
8. Change this setting to EX/ES
9. Hit RETURN button on your remote.
10. Select Option Menu.
11. Select Memory Guard, set this to ON
12. You're done in the MENU, so hit MENU on your remote to exit.

The purpose of setting MEMORY GUARD to ON, is to ensure that your settings get saved. Any time you decide to change any settings here, you will need to turn this OFF, and then back ON again to save the settings.

Do all these things as I suggested and you will now be able to get 7.1 surround sound or at least you should.

To know for sure if you do, on your receiver, look for the following lights to be on...

There will be lights representing your speakers. What these lights inform you of is NOT what speakers are actually playing sound. These lights are to inform you of the material being played. IE If you are playing a 5.1 source material then you will have the standard 5.1 speakers lit.

Now to know for sure you are getting complete surround sound from all 7.1 speakers, look for the light display that shows the little half circular lights. That's the best way I know how to describe them. (Sorry)

If you truly are getting 7.1 matrixed sound, then you will have a top half circle, a left half circle, a right half circle, and a bottom half lit circle.
These half circles represent sound stages I guess you could say.

If you were only getting 5.1 surround sound then the side half circles would be missing.

Hopefully I explained all this correctly, and if I did and you do all this you should be good to go.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #21 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

What he said. You should use PLIIx to matrix the rear channels. Provided you do have the PS3 configured correctly, your issue has something to do with the receiver not the PS3. It is your AVR that will convert the 5.1 audio track into 7.1, not the PS3. It is possible, though, that your particular AVR cannot apply PLIIx to 5.1 PCM in order to matrix the rear channels. Some can't.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #22 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Turn DRC off on the PS3. You shouldn't have to mess with the other settings.

Yep. Some early copies of Iron Man have a flag that turns on Dynamic Range Control on PS3s and some receivers. Turn the option to Off manually and it's fine.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Yes, you don't want the receiver to "receive" 7.1 LPCM from the PS3, because the back two channels are empty. Since the receiver thinks it's getting 7.1, it won't matrix to 7.1

You need the PS3 to send LPCM 5.1 for 5.1 lossless titles, and set your Yamaha to Dolby Pro Logic IIx surround processing mode (it does have it).

Also, like I said, make sure DRC is off.
post #24 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do as suggested here. I used to have a ps3 for blu rays till the damn thing died on me. I have a Yamaha RXV-663. With that setup I had the ps3 set for LPCM, and NOT Bitstream.

On the receiver I have always had the surround decoder as Spectacle.

Also do the following...

1. Hit the AMP button your receiver remote.
2. Hit the Menu Button on your receiver remote.
3. Select Manual Input.
4. Select Sound Menu
5. Select Dynamic Range, set this to MAX
6. Hit the RETURN button on your remote.
7. Select EXTD Surr. in the Menu.
8. Change this setting to EX/ES
9. Hit RETURN button on your remote.
10. Select Option Menu.
11. Select Memory Guard, set this to ON
12. You're done in the MENU, so hit MENU on your remote to exit.

The purpose of setting MEMORY GUARD to ON, is to ensure that your settings get saved. Any time you decide to change any settings here, you will need to turn this OFF, and then back ON again to save the settings.

Do all these things as I suggested and you will now be able to get 7.1 surround sound or at least you should.

To know for sure if you do, on your receiver, look for the following lights to be on...

There will be lights representing your speakers. What these lights inform you of is NOT what speakers are actually playing sound. These lights are to inform you of the material being played. IE If you are playing a 5.1 source material then you will have the standard 5.1 speakers lit.

Now to know for sure you are getting complete surround sound from all 7.1 speakers, look for the light display that shows the little half circular lights. That's the best way I know how to describe them. (Sorry)

If you truly are getting 7.1 matrixed sound, then you will have a top half circle, a left half circle, a right half circle, and a bottom half lit circle.
These half circles represent sound stages I guess you could say.

If you were only getting 5.1 surround sound then the side half circles would be missing.

Hopefully I explained all this correctly, and if I did and you do all this you should be good to go.

Okay, I will try this when I get home this evening. Were you running 7.1 with the PS3 with this configuration?

I am confused about one thing. People are saying to turn the Dynamic Range to off, but you said to: "Select Dynamic Range, set this to MAX". I know Yamaha's are a little different though.
Thanks again fo the help.
post #25 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, you don't want the receiver to "receive" 7.1 LPCM from the PS3, because the back two channels are empty. Since the receiver thinks it's getting 7.1, it won't matrix to 7.1

You need the PS3 to send LPCM 5.1 for 5.1 lossless titles, and set your Yamaha to Dolby Pro Logic IIx surround processing mode (it does have it).

Also, like I said, make sure DRC is off.

Thanks Gator. I turned the DRC off last night, but noticed no difference. Should I select all the PCM 5.1 Khz settings then? What ones are you using?
post #26 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I will try this when I get home this evening. Were you running 7.1 with the PS3 with this configuration?

I am confused about one thing. People are saying to turn the Dynamic Range to off, but you said to: "Select Dynamic Range, set this to MAX". I know Yamaha's are a little different though.
Thanks again fo the help.

Yup I was running 7.1 with my ps3 and my RXV-663. Doing what I said in my earlier post always worked for me and I just leave it that way and it works flawlessly

When I say MAX that's the option that's listed in there, which is basically off. MAX as in maximum Dynamic Range.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #27 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just make sure your PS3 is set to output LPCM over HDMI, then leave it in "auto" and your golden. Any problems you encounter from that point are likely AVR related.
post #28 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yup I was running 7.1 with my ps3 and my RXV-663. Doing what I said in my earlier post always worked for me and I just leave it that way and it works flawlessly

When I say MAX that's the option that's listed in there, which is basically off. MAX as in maximum Dynamic Range.

I tried your settings on my Yamaha and on the PS3 I selected all the Audio formats, and it WORKED! Now I am getting sound out of all the channels, and there is LFE that were not there when it was set to the "Auto PCM 2 ch" setting. The lights on the receiver light up per the signal that is being sent to it, but all channels are playing. The DTS doesn't light up anymore, not sure why. I have it on the ES/EX just like you said. I probably read that a dozen times in the manual, but didn't pay close enough attention to it. I can't thank you enough, and all the others for the advise! That is why this forum is so awesome and very helpful!
post #29 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried your settings on my Yamaha and on the PS3 I selected all the Audio formats, and it WORKED! Now I am getting sound out of all the channels, and there is LFE that were not there when it was set to the "Auto PCM 2 ch" setting. The lights on the receiver light up per the signal that is being sent to it, but all channels are playing. The DTS doesn't light up anymore, not sure why. I have it on the ES/EX just like you said. I probably read that a dozen times in the manual, but didn't pay close enough attention to it. I can't thank you enough, and all the others for the advise! That is why this forum is so awesome and very helpful!

NP! Glad you finally got it working. Don't worry about the other lights on your receiver lighting up. The only 1's that matter are the ones I referred to earlier. Since the PS3 is set LPCM this is to be expected.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #30 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Just make sure your PS3 is set to output LPCM over HDMI, then leave it in "auto" and your golden. Any problems you encounter from that point are likely AVR related.

Thanks BRAC, but when I left the PS3 on "AUTO" it selected PCM 2 ch @ 44.1 and 48 Khz, and I was not getting much LFE. I played movies that I knew had great explosions, but heard nothing. When I switched it manually over to any setting with .1 (Like 5.1, or 7.1) I got the LFE, but no sound out of the two rear channels. That was a setting on my AVR that needed to be changed, and thanks to Yadfgp I found out what I need to change on my receiver. If yours is set to PCM 2 ch, do yourself a favor, and try what I am saying. You might notice a BIG difference.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page