Sub for Orbs: Velodyne vs. Polk vs. Infinity vs. Definitive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
studioboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm a noob looking for a subwoofer to pair with a new set of Orbs since they have no bass at all. Mostly for HT use, not music. The subwoofer that they usually pair with the speakers is their own: 8", 200 watts / 400 watts dynamic, 40-160 Hz.

The price for the Orb sub is $300, and I'd like to try to get something better in the same price range ($300-400). I live in an apt--room is 2900 cubic ft. I've narrowed it down to these options:

(1) Velodyne... either:
(a) Impact Mini (8", 180 watts / 300 watts dynamic, 38-140 Hz / adjustable 50-200 Hz)-$299. Strangely, Impact Mini has better specs than the Impact 12
(b) Impact 12 (12", 165 watts / 275 watts dynamic, 29-140 Hz / 50-200 Hz crossover)-$369.
(c) DEQ8R (8", 180 watts / 360 watts dynamic, 17-240 Hz (overall) / 32-120 Hz)-$449.

(2) Definitive ProSub 800 (8", 300 watts, 20-150 Hz / 40-150 Hz crossover)-$399.

(3) Infinity PS212 (12", 400 watts / 700 watts dynamic, 25-150 Hz)-$319.

(4) Polk
(a) MicroPro 1000 (8", 1200 watts / 2400 watts dynamic, 22-200 Hz)-$449.
(b) Polk PSW505 (12", 300 watts / 460 watts dynamic, 23-160 Hz)-$249.

Any recommendations GREATLY appreciated.
studioboss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Member
 
hi2udavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd narrow down to the Velodyne 8" or the Definitive.
hi2udavid is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
cornhulio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk subs do not have a good reputation: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1206041

Others to look at are BIC, PA, HSU, Epik, SVS, eD, etc.

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
cornhulio is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
studioboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio View Post

Others to look at are BIC, PA, HSU, Epik, SVS, eD, etc.

Looked at Hsu, SVS and BIC. Hsu and SVS are out of my price range... BIC--I couldn't even figure out which models were current or not. Will look at Epik and eD since I never heard of them.

Thanks to both you guys for the recommendations
studioboss is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioboss View Post

Hey guys,

I'm a noob looking for a subwoofer to pair with a new set of Orbs since they have no bass at all. Mostly for HT use, not music. The subwoofer that they usually pair with the speakers is their own: 8", 200 watts / 400 watts dynamic, 40-160 Hz.

The price for the Orb sub is $300, and I'd like to try to get something better in the same price range ($300-400). I live in an apt--room is 2900 cubic ft. I've narrowed it down to these options:

(1) Velodyne... either:
(a) Impact Mini (8", 180 watts / 300 watts dynamic, 38-140 Hz / adjustable 50-200 Hz)-$299. Strangely, Impact Mini has better specs than the Impact 12
(b) Impact 12 (12", 165 watts / 275 watts dynamic, 29-140 Hz / 50-200 Hz crossover)-$369.
(c) DEQ8R (8", 180 watts / 360 watts dynamic, 17-240 Hz (overall) / 32-120 Hz)-$449.

(2) Definitive ProSub 800 (8", 300 watts, 20-150 Hz / 40-150 Hz crossover)-$399.

(3) Infinity PS212 (12", 400 watts / 700 watts dynamic, 25-150 Hz)-$319.

(4) Polk
(a) MicroPro 1000 (8", 1200 watts / 2400 watts dynamic, 22-200 Hz)-$449.
(b) Polk PSW505 (12", 300 watts / 460 watts dynamic, 23-160 Hz)-$249.

Any recommendations GREATLY appreciated.

The Impact Mini uses a 6.5" driver and 8" passive radiator, not an 8" driver.

Not sure why you think it has better specs than the Impact 12. The 12 has extension to 29Hz, whereas the Mini is -3dB at 38Hz. Not only will you get better extension with the 12, but you'll also get alot more output than the Impact Mini.

The amplifier in the Impact 12 is lower power b/c the sub is a ported design, which is more efficient than the compact passive radiator design of the Mini, and it's likely that the 12" driver itself is more efficient than the 6.5" driver used in the Impact Mini.
alphaiii is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Since you're looking for a sub for predominantly HT use.... there are a couple eD subs in your price range that will kill anything in your list in both output and low end extension.

What they won't win is a beauty contest or an award for compact size.
alphaiii is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
vardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: down by the river in a van in kalifornia
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think this HSU STF-2 is in your price range. 10"woof rated down to 25hz, $356
delivered. Worth a consideration.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

vardo
vardo is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,635
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Get the STF2, I used to have one myself. Very good sub for the money. The difference between Hsu and the others is that Hsu is not lying on their performance specs, or exaggerating their technical specs. Elemental Designs would be good also. The BIC Acoustech PL-200 would be good also.

Deftech's claimed performance specs are absurd. Polks claims are nonsense as well. The velodynes would be pretty sorry sounding subs for anything but a computer sound system- little 8" driver subs are for women who can't stand the sight of a black box that goes boom. Of the ones you listed, I would go for the Infinity, but I wouldn't expect too much out of it. In your price point, I would much rather have a sub from Hsu Research, BIC Acoustech, or Elemental Designs.
shadyJ is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
studioboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

I think this HSU STF-2 is in your price range. 10"woof rated down to 25hz, $356
delivered. Worth a consideration.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Great recommendation. Thanks!

One issue though... The Orbs recommend a crossover between 100-120 Hz, and it seems like the HSU tops out at 90 Hz so I don't think it's a match. But I'm a complete novice, so please let me know if I am right on this.

And thanks again to everyone on the forum...
studioboss is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
vardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: down by the river in a van in kalifornia
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just leave the crossover on the stf-2 to off, and use the crossover from your AVR
(if possible) set to 100hz to sub. This localizes the sub somewhat (above 80 hz introduces some sounds other than bass, or so it is said)....but it is very liveable
in my experience.

Vardo
vardo is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
jedi.night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just stick with the orb subwoofer, it's excellent to begin with and matches the frq of the tiny orbs. unless you can afford an HSU, SVS or Rythmik etc.

I would say the orb sub specifically meets the needs of their setup, and is better than most of the subs you listed.


I speak from experience as I own and orb 5.1 setup.
jedi.night is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
studioboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

just stick with the orb subwoofer, it's excellent to begin with and matches the frq of the tiny orbs. unless you can afford an HSU, SVS or Rythmik etc.

I would say the orb sub specifically meets the needs of their setup, and is better than most of the subs you listed.


I speak from experience as I own and orb 5.1 setup.

My concern is that I saw some negative posts about their sub on the forums, including that it only has a 1 year warranty and that it dies shortly thereafter. Most other subs have warranties that run several years so their sub seemed like a gamble to me...
studioboss is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Another vote for the STF-2. If you can't swing the extra $50, the STF-1 is on sale for under $300 shipped.
rnatalli is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off