SVS Sealed Subs... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 817 Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Dr. Geddes said that?

I didnt ask who said it. When you quote something, at least try to follow what was said in the quote i.e when you compare 1 vs 2 subs, do it for the same brand and same model.
Mupi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 817 Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Is that your advice?

I hope you have figured out by now that you have absolutely no credibility in this forum. Most likely it is because all you do is "cut and paste" stuff. For a guy who claims himself to be scientific, you don't back up your arguments with any scientific facts other than cutting and pasting subjective opinion of others. You also say that scientific facts are not necessary to prove a point and you also deny scientific facts or measurements if they are not favorable to your argument.

BTW who the heck is Dr. Geddes. Is he like the "Einstein" of subwoofers? LOL

Next time, at least quote some of his measurements, if he has done any, instead of just his subjective opinions.
Mupi is offline  
post #723 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I hope you have figured out by now that you have absolutely no credibility in this forum. Most likely it is because all you do is "cut and paste" stuff. For a guy who claims himself to be scientific, you don't back up your arguments with any scientific facts other than cutting and pasting subjective opinion of others. You also say that scientific facts are not necessary to prove a point and you also deny scientific facts or measurements if they are not favorable to your argument.
BTW who the heck is Dr. Geddes. Is he like the "Einstein" of subwoofers? LOL
Next time, at least quote some of his measurements, if he has done any, instead of just his subjective opinions.

http://www.gedlee.com/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

 

 

Jay1 is offline  
post #724 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
They dont make subwoofers?
Mupi is offline  
post #725 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Dr Earl Geddes is a renowned acoustic scientist... you see his work quoted by lots of pretty knowledgeable folk. Dr Earl Geddes and Dr Floyd Toole both have a portfolio of influential white papers that are commonly cited.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
post #726 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Their cheapest speaker is $1500/each. No thanks. Why aren't they making a powered sub if they have so much experience? It is one thing to write a lot of theoretical stuff but another thing to make an "affordable" product. Anyway.. outside the topic. SVS SB12 should be good enough for my needs and budget smile.gif
Mupi is offline  
post #727 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I hope you have figured out by now that you have absolutely no credibility in this forum

To be honest, I really don't even think about, not at all. At over 8,000 post and counting, I don't think about it all.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #728 of 817 Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If I also "cut and paste" subjective opinions that I read on the internet, over and over, I would also hit 8000 posts!
Mupi is offline  
post #729 of 817 Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

If I also "cut and paste" subjective opinions that I read on the internet, over and over, I would also hit 8000 posts!

Many of those 8,000 post were accumulated in the display technology forums. There, Dr. Raymond Soniera was the expert I most often cited.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #730 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Many of those 8,000 post were accumulated in the display technology forums. There, Dr. Raymond Soniera was the expert I most often cited.

Not surprised. That's what you do most of the time i.e quote/cite subjective opinions of other people. Just because they have a PhD, it does not make their opinions any less subjective or any more objective than others. The only Raymond I know is Ray Romano of "Everybody Loves Raymond" :-)

When I read a review of a speaker or sub, I care less about all the preamble and the "bla bla bla" the reviewer writes. I go straight to the measurement section.

I have never seen you use objective measurements to back any of your arguments in the sub forum. Stop quoting subjective opinions of other people and your post count would come down over the next 5 years :-)
Mupi is offline  
post #731 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Not surprised. That's what you do most of the time i.e quote/cite subjective opinions of other people. Just because they have a PhD, it does not make their opinions any less subjective or any more objective than others. The only Raymond I know is Ray Romano of "Everybody Loves Raymond" :-)
When I read a review of a speaker or sub, I care less about all the preamble and the "bla bla bla" the reviewer writes. I go straight to the measurement section.
I have never seen you use objective measurements to back any of your arguments in the sub forum. Stop quoting subjective opinions of other people and your post count would come down over the next 5 years :-)

Dr. Soniera is a respected display technology expert. He is equiivalent to what Dr. Geddes is in subwoofer set up, to video display technology.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #732 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Who cares. Opinions are subjective, no matter who they are.
Mupi is offline  
post #733 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Next time you cite Geddes or whoever in this forum, dont just cite subjective opinions. Quote objective tests/measurements.
Mupi is offline  
post #734 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Who cares. Opinions are subjective, no matter who they are.

Whenever you cite expert opinion its considered credible evidence. That is something you need to understand, expert opinion isn't the same as a regular layperson opinion.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #735 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Whenever you cite expert opinion its considered credible evidence. That is something you need to understand, expert opinion isn't the same as a regular layperson opinion.

An expert's opinion is credible only when corroborated by objective test/measurements. Otherwise an expert's opinions is as subjective as anyone's opinion.

Long story short: Stop "cutting and pasting" subjective opinions of any kind without the corresponding objective information and the original context. I don't have anything else to add.
Mupi is offline  
post #736 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

An expert's opinion is credible only when corroborated by objective test/measurements. Otherwise an expert's opinions is as subjective as anyone's opinion.
Long story short: Stop "cutting and pasting" subjective opinions of any kind without the corresponding objective information and the original context. I don't have anything else to add.

An expert's resume is how you determine whether is no his opinion is credible. Anyway, an expert's opinion carry more weight and credibility than a layperson.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #737 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Almost anybody can click and paste another's opinion. What experience can you personally bring to this thread? Is there anything pertaining to bass that you've learned on your own that you can enlighten us with?
mojomike is offline  
post #738 of 817 Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

An expert's resume is how you determine whether is no his opinion is credible. Anyway, an expert's opinion carry more weight and credibility than a layperson.

"Argumentum ad verecundiam"

Look it up.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

craig john is offline  
post #739 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

"Argumentum ad verecundiam"
Look it up.
Craig

It should say: Welcome to the AVS forum where arguments are abound.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #740 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

It should say: Welcome to the AVS forum where arguments are abound.

The trouble with this argument is that only one side has facts. The other believes that ULF is a Nazi plot to damage our very beings. Or something like that. rolleyes.gif
bfreedma is offline  
post #741 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

The trouble with this argument is that only one side has facts. The other believes that ULF is a Nazi plot to damage our very beings. Or something like that. rolleyes.gif

Nonetheless, arguments are abound in the AVS forum. BTW, you really need stop using the "Nazi" word to generate bias against science and facts. We all will agree that Nazis were some real bad folks,however that doesn't mean that did not have advanced science and knowledge.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #742 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Nonetheless, arguments are abound in the AVS forum. BTW, you really need stop using the "Nazi" word to generate bias against science and facts. We all will agree that Nazis were some real bad folks,however that doesn't mean that did not have advanced science and knowledge.

Auditor, it was you who first brought up both paranormal and Nazi experiments in ULF to attempt to substantiate your outlier views on ULF impact to human physiology. In no way was my using that term a reference to anything other than your post on the same topic. Nice try at avoiding your own history, but if you want me to provide links to your original discussion, I'm happy to do the search.

There would be a lot fewer arguments on AVS if you stuck to science and not your personal views of how you believe audio works.
bfreedma is offline  
post #743 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Auditor, it was you who first brought up both paranormal and Nazi experiments in ULF to attempt to substantiate your outlier views on ULF impact to human physiology. In no way was my using that term a reference to anything other than your post on the same topic. Nice try at avoiding your own history, but if you want me to provide links to your original discussion, I'm happy to do the search.
There would be a lot fewer arguments on AVS if you stuck to science and not your personal views of how you believe audio works.

No, I cited some information regarding the Nazi expirementation with infrasounds from a paranormal website. Not that expirimenting with infrasounds belongs in the paranorma field. I think the study of infrasounds, that were conducted by the Nazis, ended up on paranormal website is because the Nazis were also heavily into the occult. However, as I have said, the Nazis also had advanced science, engineering and knowledge.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #744 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^^^^

Bottom line, however you choose to spin it now, is that you did bring Nazi's into the equation in the posts I referred to. So let's not try to take my reference out of context and turn it into something it clearly is not.
bfreedma is offline  
post #745 of 817 Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
post #746 of 817 Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Almost anybody can click and paste another's opinion. What experience can you personally bring to this thread? Is there anything pertaining to bass that you've learned on your own that you can enlighten us with?

No, I'm not that ego driven as to ignore those with advanced knowledge in order to make myself look big.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #747 of 817 Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

^^^^
Bottom line, however you choose to spin it now, is that you did bring Nazi's into the equation in the posts I referred to. So let's not try to take my reference out of context and turn it into something it clearly is not.

I don't think I brought up the subject of Nazis expirementing with infrasounds in this thread. This thread is supposed to be about SVS Sealed Subs, I've tried to stay on that subject. I would like to hear from more SVS sealed sub owners than discuss Nazis and infrasounds in this thread.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #748 of 817 Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Chopin_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The updated model of the SB13 has been posted today -- seems they dropped the previous driver used and are now using a modified Ultra drive. Looks promising...

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb13-ultra

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
Chopin_Guy is offline  
post #749 of 817 Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post

The updated model of the SB13 has been posted today -- seems they dropped the previous driver used and are now using a modified Ultra drive. Looks promising...
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb13-ultra

the previous model used a modified Ultra driver, so it should be the same driver.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #750 of 817 Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well its back up to $1600 regular price. However the finish, looks and or appearance is indeed a upgrade, I guess that somewhat justify the price increase.
Auditor55 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off