Does the subwoofer stay on all the time (24x7)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI - I just upgraded my family room from a 2.1 system (unpowered sub) to a 5.1 system (powered Sunfire HRS-8). However, my wife and I watch maybe one movie a week. The rest of the time the main receiver is off, or in 2ch "CD" mode (playing the comcast music channel distributed from a remote cable box).

Point is, I only use the sub a few hours a week, so should i leave it on all the time? I understand it goes into a <100W "standby" mode, but 0W is obviously better. I'm also concerned about some sort of stray electrical event or something causing unneeded damage.

Alternately, if I turn it off, will that confuse the receiver (Onkyo SR-607), so that it won't drive the sub when I turn it on?

Do most people just leave their subs powered?

Thanks!
/j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I leave mine on all the time, but I use it more often than you.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I like bluesky listen more often then you, so a simple power strip like this

and you can turn it off when you are not using it.

It will not cause any problems with your AVR.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 08:42 AM

your sub should have a auto switch on the back,if it does,switch to auto and the only time it will kick in is when your watching a movie or music. auto mode is like stand by.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

your sub should have a auto switch on the back,if it does,switch to auto and the only time it will kick in is when your watching a movie or music. auto mode is like stand by.

I quit using auto turn on because I found it to not be reliable. I listen to a wide variety of music in addition to movies. I have a collection that ranges from 60's rock to classical orchestral to Baroque organ to Renassaince dance. Most of the older dance music does not have much in the way of deep bass, and what it does have was not enough to trigger the auto on to the sub. You didn't know you were missing anything until you turned the sub on. So I just leave it on all the time now and I don't have to worry about missing anything.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

I quit using auto turn on because I found it to not be reliable. I listen to a wide variety of music in addition to movies. I have a collection that ranges from 60's rock to classical orchestral to Baroque organ to Renassaince dance. Most of the older dance music does not have much in the way of deep bass, and what it does have was not enough to trigger the auto on to the sub. You didn't know you were missing anything until you turned the sub on. So I just leave it on all the time now and I don't have to worry about missing anything.

If the LFE signal is not strong enough then yuo need to use a "Y" splitter on the sub unless youi only have one RCA plugin for the LFE. the youi need to boost the LFE signal at the reciever by .05 or 1.0. I know youi can do this with MCACC but i don't know how to with Audyssey (and i have Audyssey).

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

If the LFE signal is not strong enough then yuo need to use a "Y" splitter on the sub unless youi only have one RCA plugin for the LFE. the youi need to boost the LFE signal at the reciever by .05 or 1.0. I know youi can do this with MCACC but i don't know how to with Audyssey (and i have Audyssey).

Bill

Yes, I know how to do it and no, there is no need to do it. My sub trim level with Audyssey is -3 dB. Right where it needs to be. I am talking about very low level, almost inaudible bass on the Renassaince dance music.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page