post #91 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

From 38hz on up the Growler Duo and Orbit Shifter are within a couple of db of each other. Below that the displacement advantage of the OS takes over.

True and that is what is amazing about the OS. It goes very low yet maintains the clarity and "slam" of the upper bass frequencies. This weekend, I did the most extensive music listening I have done since getting the OS's. I have never heard such clarity from bass notes (standup and electric) and the kick drum is just perfect.

This sub (Orbit Shifter) is just silly good and the size is one of the reasons but also, it's biggest liability in most rooms.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 84
That's great to hear! Nothin worse then venturing out to the extreme, hoping to be wowed, and end up making a lateral move or slight improvement at best. Congrats
post #93 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

From 38hz on up the Growler Duo and Orbit Shifter are within a couple of db of each other. Below that the displacement advantage of the OS takes over.

This is how I understand the comparison as well. It should be noted that the Duo and the OS can produce around 135db at these higher frequencies. The output delta between the two increases as you go lower, but both look to have pretty meaningful output down to 15hz or lower.

It will be interesting to see how the OS and the Duo stack up against each other as more of these start shipping out the door.

RMK! Do the OS' have the "Low" mode vs "Regular" mode to tune it? I'm interested in hearing if there are any distinguishable differences between the two modes and if you take advantage of one mode over the other for specific applications.
post #94 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe67 View Post

This is how I understand the comparison as well. It should be noted that the Duo and the OS can produce around 135db at these higher frequencies. The output delta between the two increases as you go lower, but both look to have pretty meaningful output down to 15hz or lower.

It will be interesting to see how the OS and the Duo stack up against each other as more of these start shipping out the door.

RMK! Do the OS' have the "Low" mode vs "Regular" mode to tune it? I'm interested in hearing if there are any distinguishable differences between the two modes and if you take advantage of one mode over the other for specific applications.

No, the OS is a single mode HT sub (not something you would want to lug around ).

The GD's are pro and HT hence the switchability.

HToM

post #95 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RMK - once I heard a single GD I realized how over the top your setup must sound

I listened to some music yesterday with two of my favorite tracks for bass. The impact and slam was really good - sounds very clean and drums hit you in the chest. Again my comparison is GD vs SVS Pb13+PB12/2 together. I will run Audyssey and check the FR with REW this week.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #96 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hack,

Have you had a chance to listen to some low LFE content in movies? Wondering if you feel you are missing something compared to your SVS combo?
post #97 of 120 Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
I dont find anything missing compared to the previous SVS combo - though they have been in a different room, I can tell that the GD alone is much more impactful than that combo.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #98 of 120 Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM

My Duo has landed!

I will post more detailed comments after I spend more time with it, but so far I am very impressed. I don't have a lot of experience with prodigious bass sub 30hz, so it's going to take a little getting used to. The impact is just unreal.

So far, I have run a few sweeps with a tone generator starting at 10hz and I can tell you that there is definitely usable output at that level.

Everything in my basement/media room shakes somewhere around 22-25hz...
post #99 of 120 Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nice.. can't wait to hear your feedback!
post #100 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM

- I will provide more detailed feedback after I get a chance to spend more time with it, but thus far the Duo continues to impress.

I had initially had the volume on the Duo set to 0, which is the highest (unbeknown to me), and calibrated using Audyssey. The level ended up being set at -14db or so and in some circumstances it would totally overpower my 3 T12HT's at lower volumes. IE - my entire basement shook like mad watching the Pulse server room scene at -45! Since then I have turned the Duo amp dial to about half way and have re-run Audyssey which placed the volume at -2.5db. This seems to mesh a lot better and so far the results are pretty stunning. Talk about effortless room pressurization, I am amazed at the combination of power and speed.

The first movie my wife and I watched with the Duo installed was Michael Jackson's - This is it. Neither of us had seen it yet. Wow... The audio was amazing. The audio track had a few bass/kick drum sections which were powerful and fast with the deep notes disappearing completely between beats, thriller comes to mind as a good example.

RMK - Have you watched This is It yet with your OS'?
post #101 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM

- Another quick note on this subwoofer, JTR is having a sale on the Growler Duo:

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4761272

The title says "Growler Duo $2299 thu July 4th." If anyone is on the fence about picking one of these up, you should definitely take this into consideration.

Now I have to think about whether I should pick up another one...
post #102 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I would definitely get one only if my room allowed. I have been playing around with location of a single sub (SVS PC12+), and the 4-5 locations that I am "allowed" to put a sub always have a null. It is only when I have 2 subs placed in the back of the room that it is decent enough and not have any nulls... 2 Duo with about ~5000 is not something I can afford right now. Maybe when my kid grows older and I can finally get a dedicated room
post #103 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Leffe67 what's the crossover point between the DUO and your Triple 12s?
post #104 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Leffe67 what's the crossover point between the DUO and your Triple 12s?

I'm currently crossing them at 60hz. Audyssey had my LCR set at 40hz, but I manually changed them to 60hz.
post #105 of 120 Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

- I will provide more detailed feedback after I get a chance to spend more time with it, but thus far the Duo continues to impress.

I had initially had the volume on the Duo set to 0, which is the highest (unbeknown to me), and calibrated using Audyssey. The level ended up being set at -14db or so and in some circumstances it would totally overpower my 3 T12HT's at lower volumes. IE - my entire basement shook like mad watching the Pulse server room scene at -45! Since then I have turned the Duo amp dial to about half way and have re-run Audyssey which placed the volume at -2.5db. This seems to mesh a lot better and so far the results are pretty stunning. Talk about effortless room pressurization, I am amazed at the combination of power and speed.

The first movie my wife and I watched with the Duo installed was Michael Jackson's - This is it. Neither of us had seen it yet. Wow... The audio was amazing. The audio track had a few bass/kick drum sections which were powerful and fast with the deep notes disappearing completely between beats, thriller comes to mind as a good example.

RMK - Have you watched This is It yet with your OS'?

Yes I have ... several times and it sounds fantastic. The kick drum is by far the best I have ever heard (Billie Jean is amazing). That little () 4kw amp provides a lot of punch, no?

HToM

post #106 of 120 Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Yes I have ... several times and it sounds fantastic. The kick drum is by far the best I have ever heard (Billie Jean is amazing). That little () 4kw amp provides a lot of punch, no?

Yes, the kick drums in certain songs were just awesome. So crisp, with just the right mount of force as to not overpower. I had a huge grin on my face!

My wife actually admitted she thought it was amazing too (she doesn't like to encourage my hobby).
post #107 of 120 Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

My wife actually admitted she thought it was amazing too (she doesn't like to encourage my hobby).

Is there one that does?
post #108 of 120 Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Not married but any woman that's ever been over has appreciated the improvement in sight and sound. It's the tearing up of the room they usually aren't a fan of. Keep it stealth and your hobby will go under the radar
post #109 of 120 Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

drhack or Leffe67, any REW graphs?
post #110 of 120 Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

drhack or Leffe67, any REW graphs?

Sorry Fight, I have not yet set up and run REW. I actually have everything I need, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Between work, wife and my 1yo son I have been unusually busy the last couple months.

Honestly, since I received my Duo and the Slanted 8's to round out my JTR 5.1 setup, things have sounded so good that I haven't had the motivation to tweak it much yet. That being said, I definitely have a room mode at 22hz to 24hz that makes my whole house shudder... I'll eventually need to take care of that, but it's a relatively narrow band, so it doesn't bother me all the time.

I haven't been as active around here since I received the Duo, but don't get the impression that's because i'm not happy with it, quite the contrary, I have been spending my free hours listening to music and watching movies on a setup I really couldn't be much happier with. The responsiveness of the JTR speakers, including the Duo, is out of this world. I am still surprised at how quickly the speakers can jump to high SPL and retreat, with no harshness at all.

It will be interesting when Jeff posts the charts comparing the Duo to the OS. Both will handle the mid-bass range with authority and the OS will dig deeper, but the Duo will take up less space and is a bit less expensive. I get more output than I need down to (at least) 10hz, (which is where the REW sweep starts), and above that, the Duo is probably about 5x more capable than I will use it for in my space.
post #111 of 120 Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks Leffe67! Now, you got me itching for upgrade to all-JTR! Oh.. my wife is going to kill me...
post #112 of 120 Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unfornately, the only in room (drhack) measurement I have is after Audyssey with the dynamic eq and volume engaged, at low volume so the bass was boosted. Audyssey did to a good job averaging the three listening positions.
post #113 of 120 Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
post #114 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Forgive my ingnorance but do you just run a SUB OUT Standard Subwoofer Cable from your AVR to the Growler Duo?

I have and Intregra AVR with 2 SUB OUT.

One for Growler and One for other LF Sub?

Just not sure how to deal with Pro Style Subs

Thanks
post #115 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE View Post

Forgive my ingnorance but do you just run a SUB OUT Standard Subwoofer Cable from your AVR to the Growler Duo?

I have and Intregra AVR with 2 SUB OUT.

One for Growler and One for other LF Sub?

Just not sure how to deal with Pro Style Subs

Thanks

You will need a rca to xlr converter
post #116 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

You will need a rca to xlr converter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This worked for me. If you get a ground hum, you can cut the grounding pin. Since the connector can be taken apart, it's super easy.

I am still really enjoying my Duo, it rocks hard.
post #117 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you. I will probably need a Female RCA to XLR Male as I already have the RCA Cable ran through the wall.
post #118 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I will probably need a Female RCA to XLR Male as I already have the RCA Cable ran through the wall.

A simple $1.99 RCA coupler will do the trick. I actually used a monoprice wall plate which has a built in coupler, either will work and are simple and cheap.
post #119 of 120 Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

You have a link?

Thank you
post #120 of 120 Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:

You have a link?

Thank you

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...ract_desc=null

There you are. You can get these about anywhere, best buy or radio shack.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page