Bic VK-12 OR Bic PL 200 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: VK 12 OR PL 200
VK 12 0 0%
PL 200 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Witch one should I get the BIC VK 12 OR the BIC PL 200? I watch movies listin to music and game ounce in a while. At first I had my mind set on a Bic f12 then I wanted something a little more better with more bass then the F12..
Sam1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have not heard the F12, but I did a comparison of my PL-200 to my $750.00 sub...on this page here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18387309
mechx is offline  
post #3 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wwinkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: northern virginia
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Several individuals who have had both the F12 and Pl-200 indicate that the Pl-200 is clearly better. I am not aware of a direct comparison between the VK-12 and Pl-200.

I would get the Pl-200.
wwinkler is online now  
post #4 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 AM
 
diamonddelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The VK-12 is like the red headed step child of the BIC family. Everytime I or someone has asked for info on this sub, all we get is a mention of the F-12 or the PL-200.

No one EVER comments on the VK-12. It's like all VK-12 owners just don't want to talk about this sub after purchasing it.
diamonddelts is offline  
post #5 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Mighty_Quad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i use 2 PL-200s in a 15x27x11 room which doubles as the dining room with 4 openings and a pass thru to the kitchen. the duak PL-200s easily fill the room, shake the rafters pretty well and rattle dishes in the kitchen. that part is fun. oh....yeah, itll play musical notes well too if you care.

ive not heard the VK-12 but the PL-200 for me, was absolutely the correct choice.
Mighty_Quad4 is offline  
post #6 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post

I have not heard the F12, but I did a comparison of my PL-200 to my $750.00 sub...on this page here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18387309

Yes I have seen that thread i think I have read every thread About the PL 200 lol. Its just hard to judge everyones opinion on it when there is not a direct comparison between the 2.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post

The VK-12 is like the red headed step child of the BIC family. Everytime I or someone has asked for info on this sub, all we get is a mention of the F-12 or the PL-200.

No one EVER comments on the VK-12. It's like all VK-12 owners just don't want to talk about this sub after purchasing it.

I know Tell me about it I have found very very few threads/reviews on the VK12.



In any case the Bic PL 200 Can be shipped brand new for $279.99
The Bic Vk 12 Brand new for 259.99
The Bic F 12 For 185.00 Shipped brand new.

It comes down to is the $95 more justifyed going with the BIC PL 200 Over the BIC F12.. I Wish i can get some more info on the BIC VK 12.
Sam1234 is offline  
post #7 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump
Sam1234 is offline  
post #8 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Samsung-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PL-200, only based on what I have heard. I haven't gotten mine yet to comment on it.
Samsung-Guy is offline  
post #9 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM
 
diamonddelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

Yes I have seen that thread i think I have read every thread About the PL 200 lol. Its just hard to judge everyones opinion on it when there is not a direct comparison between the 2.



I know Tell me about it I have found very very few threads/reviews on the VK12.



In any case the Bic PL 200 Can be shipped brand new for $279.99
The Bic Vk 12 Brand new for 259.99
The Bic F 12 For 185.00 Shipped brand new.

It comes down to is the $95 more justifyed going with the BIC PL 200 Over the BIC F12.. I Wish i can get some more info on the BIC VK 12.

The main knock on the VK-12 is it's meaningless price point. It's significantly higher than the F12 yet only a few bucks away from Bic's flagship sub. So it forces most people to either choose between saving money and going with the F-12 or giving up more dough for the flagship PL-200.

There is no reason to purchase the VK-12 when you might as well spend the extra $20 in tha price range and get the flagship PL-200.

So my advice to you is if you are on a super tight budget then go for the F12. If you can afford to pay more than $250 for a sub then by all means get the PL-200. It would make NO sense to get the second best sub in the lineup when you can have the best for a few bucks more.
diamonddelts is offline  
post #10 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Samsung-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

The main knock on the VK-12 is it's meaningless price point. It's significantly higher than the F12 yet only a few bucks away from Bic's flagship sub. So it forces most people to either choose between saving money and going with the F-12 or giving up more dough for the flagship PL-200.

There is no reason to purchase the VK-12 when you might as well spend the extra $20 in tha price range and get the flagship PL-200.

So my advice to you is if you are on a super tight budget then go for the F12. If you can afford to pay more than $250 for a sub then by all means get the PL-200. It would make NO sense to get the second best sub in the lineup when you can have the best for a few bucks more.

Well said.
Samsung-Guy is offline  
post #11 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

The main knock on the VK-12 is it's meaningless price point. It's significantly higher than the F12 yet only a few bucks away from Bic's flagship sub. So it forces most people to either choose between saving money and going with the F-12 or giving up more dough for the flagship PL-200.

There is no reason to purchase the VK-12 when you might as well spend the extra $20 in tha price range and get the flagship PL-200.

So my advice to you is if you are on a super tight budget then go for the F12. If you can afford to pay more than $250 for a sub then by all means get the PL-200. It would make NO sense to get the second best sub in the lineup when you can have the best for a few bucks more.

Agree 100% with you.. Bottom line is the $95 Extra for the BIC PL 200 worth it, I really want the most bass I can get for my dollar so if that means the BIC PL 200 is going to output alot more bass then the BIC F 12 then it would be worth it. But I dont want to spend that extra $95 if there is not that much of a difference.
Sam1234 is offline  
post #12 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Samsung-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

Agree 100% with you.. Bottom line is the $95 Extra for the BIC PL 200 worth it, I really want the most bass I can get for my dollar so if that means the BIC PL 200 is going to output alot more bass then the BIC F 12 then it would be worth it. But I dont want to spend that extra $95 if there is not that much of a difference.

But again, you are talking more like $40 or $50, not $100. For $40, even a 10% increase in performance would be worth it to me. Second best vs top of the line for any given company, $50 is easily justifiable to me.
Samsung-Guy is offline  
post #13 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 01:11 PM
 
diamonddelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

Agree 100% with you.. Bottom line is the $95 Extra for the BIC PL 200 worth it, I really want the most bass I can get for my dollar so if that means the BIC PL 200 is going to output alot more bass then the BIC F 12 then it would be worth it. But I dont want to spend that extra $95 if there is not that much of a difference.


I think it depends on what kind of speakers you have at this time. If you have speakers with at least average low end response down to 40hz or below then you might be able to get away with the F-12 and be satisfied. But if you have speakers that do not even go below 50hz and you plan to have you subwoofer take the brunt of the lows at a higher crossover point it is never, ever recommened that you skimp on your subwoofer.

Since it alone will complete the low end portion of your system. If you have the money go for the PL-200. Trying to save money on your subwoofer could lead to disappointment and more money to upgrade down the road.
diamonddelts is offline  
post #14 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Member
 
dacdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Quad4 View Post

i use 2 PL-200s in a 15x27x11 room which doubles as the dining room with 4 openings and a pass thru to the kitchen. the duak PL-200s easily fill the room, shake the rafters pretty well and rattle dishes in the kitchen. that part is fun. oh....yeah, itll play musical notes well too if you care.

ive not heard the VK-12 but the PL-200 for me, was absolutely the correct choice.

Hey quad, was curious if you always had 2? I mean did you start with 1 pl-200 and go to 2. I am just wondering if theres a big difference adding a second one, I am really on the fence about buying another one or just sticking with one
dacdd is offline  
post #15 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

But again, you are talking more like $40 or $50, not $100. For $40, even a 10% increase in performance would be worth it to me. Second best vs top of the line for any given company, $50 is easily justifiable to me.

Its $85 more.. The Bic F12 is $185 and the BIC PL-200 $270
Sam1234 is offline  
post #16 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I think I am going to get the BIC F12 and see how I like it if I feel that I want more PUNCHY bass then I well return it and get the BIC PL-200. I think thats the best thing to do considering no one has tried both of them and experienced both sounds.
Sam1234 is offline  
post #17 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

Well I think I am going to get the BIC F12 and see how I like it if I feel that I want more PUNCHY bass then I well return it and get the BIC PL-200. I think thats the best thing to do considering no one has tried both of them and experienced both sounds.

How are you going to try the F12 and just return it if you don't like it? I don't know if any of the BIC retailers will let you just return a sub for no reason. As far as information goes, I believe you got pretty much all you're going to get. BIC subs don't have a huge following on here.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #18 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

How are you going to try the F12 and just return it if you don't like it? I don't know if any of the BIC retailers will let you just return a sub for no reason. As far as information goes, I believe you got pretty much all you're going to get. BIC subs don't have a huge following on here.

Well if it does not sound good then something must be wrong with it. And if anything is wrong with the sub any retailers well allow me to return it.
Sam1234 is offline  
post #19 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

Well if it does not sound good then something must be wrong with it. And if anything is wrong with the sub any retailers well allow me to return it.

Or if it doesn't sound good it's the buyer who maybe has high expectations for a lower priced sub or possibly the buyer is using it in a room that will not be adequate for a lower priced sub. Regardless, you'll have to pay return shipping so that will be like $50. In the end that $50 could have been used towards the higher priced sub that will make you much happier. It's your money though.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #20 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Or if it doesn't sound good it's the buyer who maybe has high expectations for a lower priced sub or possibly the buyer is using it in a room that will not be adequate for a lower priced sub. Regardless, you'll have to pay return shipping so that will be like $50. In the end that $50 could have been used towards the higher priced sub that will make you much happier. It's your money though.

I really would like to know if there is a BIG difference in the BIC F12 VS the BIC PA-200
Sam1234 is offline  
post #21 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

I really would like to know if there is a BIG difference in the BIC F12 VS the BIC PA-200

The F12's amp is rated at 150 watts RMS and the PL-200 is rated at 250 watts RMS. That's a big jump and that will give you plenty of headroom. That right there is worth the price difference IMO. Also the PL-200 will dig a little lower (22Hz opposed to 25Hz on the F12).
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #22 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

The F12's amp is rated at 150 watts RMS and the PL-200 is rated at 250 watts RMS. That's a big jump and that will give you plenty of headroom. That right there is worth the price difference IMO. Also the PL-200 will dig a little lower (22Hz opposed to 25Hz on the F12).

Would I feel the difference in bass? In terms of how punchy it gets?
Sam1234 is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With 100 more watts of power of course you will. I have never heard either sub(have the PL-200 being delivered of Tuesday) but just going by the specs the PL-200 blows it away. Did you bother to read Mecx's review on the PL-200? He compared it to a sub costing almost double and it blew it away. What size room are you going to be placing your sub in?
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #24 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

With 100 more watts of power of course you will. I have never heard either sub(have the PL-200 being delivered of Tuesday) but just going by the specs the PL-200 blows it away. Did you bother to read Mecx's review on the PL-200? He compared it to a sub costing almost double and it blew it away. What size room are you going to be placing your sub in?

I have read so many things on its hard to tell you. You have a link to it?
Sam1234 is offline  
post #25 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

I have read so many things on its hard to tell you. You have a link to it?

What size is your room? Will you answer that please. That will make it easier to recommend one over the other. Look on the BIC website to compare models.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #26 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

What size is your room? Will you answer that please. That will make it easier to recommend one over the other. Look on the BIC website to compare models.

About 35x25
Sam1234 is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

About 35x25

Well with a room that big I do believe it eliminates both subs. That's a huge room for a budget sub. You're going to have to increase your budget and get a much much more powerful sub.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #28 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Well with a room that big I do believe it eliminates both subs. That's a huge room for a budget sub. You're going to have to increase your budget and get a much much more powerful sub.

I dont care to fill the whole basement I just want to fill the area I am going to be in witch is about 15x15
Sam1234 is offline  
post #29 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

I dont care to fill the whole basement I just want to fill the area I am going to be in witch is about 15x15

You don't understand. When you have all that open space you can't just fill a particular space. You just can't expect to fill only 15x15 in a 35x25 room. You're fooling yourself if you think you can. You will be unhappy with both of those subs. They'll sound like crap in that cavern. Why don't you post a seperate thread asking if you can fill only part of a big room with a cheap sub and see what other members say. I guarantee every member will say no.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #30 of 65 Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sam1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

I dont care to fill the whole basement I just want to fill the area I am going to be in witch is about 15x15

EDIT: Theres a wall then LCD/Computer against that and we sit in that area when were watching TV etc.. the rest is just open space.
Sam1234 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off