Emotiva Ultra Subwoofers - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow! and you guys gave me crap because of mt "black trim" comments in the other thread!
Can't decide between the 12 and the 10.....
Decision decisions...
Best,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I say go with the 12 if budget and space permit. How much peak SPL you think you usually need when playing movies?

I figure I don't play at the volumes some of you "wilder" folks do, so the 10 seemed fine for my needs. I would guess the 12 comes closer to the reference level ideal of 115 dB than the 10 does.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #273 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to check the fuse on this thing? I see it in the electrical plug area but not sure how to open it. I just got my sub and hooked it up today... was working for a little while and then quit. The light is still lit up on the back but not sure if that means anything. I've also run the test tone on my Yamaha as well as changed the cord.
post #274 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_ck View Post

Does anyone know how to check the fuse on this thing? I see it in the electrical plug area but not sure how to open it. I just got my sub and hooked it up today... was working for a little while and then quit. The light is still lit up on the back but not sure if that means anything. I've also run the test tone on my Yamaha as well as changed the cord.

Ok figured it out. Just pry at it with a flat head. Got it out and the single wire in the fuse is intact. This is not good. Not sure what else it could be.
post #275 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Ok figured it out. Just pry at it with a flat head. Got it out and the single wire in the fuse is intact. This is not good. Not sure what else it could be.

Fixed. The sub only engages when my Yamaha is in certain modes like "7ch Stereo". Please forgive me, this is my first receiver.
post #276 of 703 Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Fixed. The sub only engages when my Yamaha is in certain modes like "7ch Stereo". Please forgive me, this is my first receiver.

"When all else fails, read the manual!"
post #277 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Plugged it in and guess what! No Sound! Hmmmm thats weird... Maybe I have a bad connection somewhere (I had no sub before) Tested sounds in windows 7 sound configuration and sure enough the sub works, play music or a movie and no output to the sub...

Google -> Driver big for windows 7. But what? How can that be? I have Win 7 and the same sound card in my office with the logitech z5500's hooked up and it works fine.

Couple hours playing with things updating drivers etc. Suddenly Bam! The sub is working. Not very impressive though. I thought to myself that the Logitech 10" speaker was about 3 times as loud, granted it was in a large bedroom before, but it has been in 3 rooms now and always been much louder than I'm getting out of this much more expensive woofer. Heck the entire surround setup was only $240, and while its no HT, when imaged properly it sounds quite good.

Moved it to the other side of the room, and the woofer really woke up. Tested it for low frequency response with some 3-6 mafia late night tip, nad it really pressurized the room. Now it's nothing like the 2 10's in my truck running off 1000+ RMS but not too bad either, maybe just as clean sounding as my 10's but I'm not sure yet.

I'm pretty sure the other end of my living room is going to be even better, but I don't have my 50 foot RG6 cable yet. Right now it is on the more open side that opens into the hallway, dining room and kitchen, the other side has 3 walls But we will have to wait and see. Honestly tempted to pickup a second one, although I do wonder know an epik legend would compare to having 2 of these? Any advantage to putting 2 of these in opposing corners?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...34&postcount=6
post #278 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 AM

as with ANY subwoofer in ANY room....PLACEMENT is the first and foremost key in getting it to sound good. Then EQ'ing it properly. I learned this lesson all too long ago, when I would drop a new sub in the old spot. I would then go "WTF, this sounds like crap."
Do the sub crawl and see where it sound best and also if it sounds good where you plan on putting it. In my upstairs living room there are only a few spots where I can put the sub without getting served divorce papers. If the sub does not work in one of these spots, it must go. (or I do).
Downstairs in my room I can do whatever I want. Such are the lives of some married people.
I also ordered a couple subs off of Overstock last night when the cashback was at 30%, so I will have a fe options now..
I am thinking the Emo 10" should suffice in the living room..
Best,
Chris
post #279 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

Plugged it in and guess what! No Sound! Hmmmm thats weird... Maybe I have a bad connection somewhere (I had no sub before) Tested sounds in windows 7 sound configuration and sure enough the sub works, play music or a movie and no output to the sub...

Google -> Driver big for windows 7. But what? How can that be? I have Win 7 and the same sound card in my office with the logitech z5500's hooked up and it works fine.

Couple hours playing with things updating drivers etc. Suddenly Bam! The sub is working. Not very impressive though. I thought to myself that the Logitech 10" speaker was about 3 times as loud, granted it was in a large bedroom before, but it has been in 3 rooms now and always been much louder than I'm getting out of this much more expensive woofer. Heck the entire surround setup was only $240, and while its no HT, when imaged properly it sounds quite good.

Moved it to the other side of the room, and the woofer really woke up. Tested it for low frequency response with some 3-6 mafia late night tip, nad it really pressurized the room. Now it's nothing like the 2 10's in my truck running off 1000+ RMS but not too bad either, maybe just as clean sounding as my 10's but I'm not sure yet.

I'm pretty sure the other end of my living room is going to be even better, but I don't have my 50 foot RG6 cable yet. Right now it is on the more open side that opens into the hallway, dining room and kitchen, the other side has 3 walls But we will have to wait and see. Honestly tempted to pickup a second one, although I do wonder know an epik legend would compare to having 2 of these? Any advantage to putting 2 of these in opposing corners?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...34&postcount=6

posted this in your thread as well, but you get a 3-6 db increase, but the best benefit is that it evens out the overall frequency response in the room and helps eliminate nulls which IMO is well worth it.

I am starting with 1 SV PC-12NSD which should be more than enough and then going duals to even out the response. I get more db that a single PC-12+ and a smoother overall bass response throughout the room. I think that is a win-win

Also heard rumors the sale prices on these stop on the 18th so might want to hop on it soon.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #280 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 AM

Not a rumor, emotiva has it posted that the sale ends Sunday. Already have two ultra 12's and a pair of UAC 6.2's and decided to order another pair of 6.2's while the sale is still on to finish my 7.2 setup.
post #281 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

posted this in your thread as well, but you get a 3-6 db increase, but the best benefit is that it evens out the overall frequency response in the room and helps eliminate nulls which IMO is well worth it.

I am starting with 1 SV PC-12NSD which should be more than enough and then going duals to even out the response. I get more db that a single PC-12+ and a smoother overall bass response throughout the room. I think that is a win-win

Also heard rumors the sale prices on these stop on the 18th so might want to hop on it soon.

I used to worry about "evening out" the response and taming nulls through out my room until one day I had an epiphany! I don't wander around my room when I am watching a movie (or tv)! So I said, "screw it" and only concentrate on getting it to sound good in the seats! I had a friend the other day who came over and thought my bass was weak when he walked downstairs. I had him sit down and ran the same scene again, and he was like "WTF, did you just turn on the subs?"
post #282 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Liked: 12
Received a pair of Ultra 12s yesterday & just finished setting them up in the basement theater. Demoed "Terminator Salvation" after dialing them in. All I can say is that for the money, I can't imagine that there is a better deal available anywhere for a pair of subs. They absolutely blew me out of my seat. Prodigous low end output, incredible dynamics, & unbelievable slam for the money. The way they pressurize the room is phenomenal. I immediately went upstairs to listen to the same scenes in my main theater with dual Epik Empires, & was even more impressed by what I'd heard from the Ultras. Thank you again Emotiva, for another amazing product at an unbelievable price.
post #283 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Add me to the list! Just orderd one Ultra 12 for my apartment.. This will complement my 340se's across the front. Haven't met my neighbors yet but something tells me I will soon. :-)
post #284 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Well my one week old Emotiva sub has already gone. It keeps blowing fuses at power on .
post #285 of 703 Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Well my one week old Emotiva sub has already gone. It keeps blowing fuses at power on .

That sucks, hopefully they will ship you out a replacement real quick.
post #286 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just ordered a second Ultra 10 for the new bedroom. Should be here sometime next week.
post #287 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

I used to worry about "evening out" the response and taming nulls through out my room until one day I had an epiphany! I don't wander around my room when I am watching a movie (or tv)! So I said, "screw it" and only concentrate on getting it to sound good in the seats! I had a friend the other day who came over and thought my bass was weak when he walked downstairs. I had him sit down and ran the same scene again, and he was like "WTF, did you just turn on the subs?"

While I think with 2 it would even out the spots, I have it fairly well adjusted now and it shakes my couch decently. Apparently the opposite corner is where the base seems to be the strongest (probably 6db gain there) so it's working out well. I think 2 might be overpowering the rest of my system so I will be happy with just one. However I'm convincing my dad to get one as well so I could at some point end up with 2 again later if it does not work out well for him or if he wants something different, or maybe he would be willing to part with it later should something else come along. Anyways I think it is a great value, the subs in my truck are very clear, but the emotiva can certainly keep up considering the space it has to fill. The 1000-1200 watts in my truck really pressurizes the cab and do so very cleanly (2 sealed 10's probably pushing about 500-600RMS cause I have the amp turned way down) but the emotiva does very well for the space it has to work with. I do wonder if packing it with polly fill would bring out a little more low frequency response? Of course comparing it to car audio isn't fair in any way, space, power, imaging etc, they were super good deal on the woofers for my truck and amp etc, but it still comes out to a bit more than the emotiva cost me.

Quote:

Have you tried plugging it into another outlet? If the outlet has a voltage problem it may try to pull more current to compensate and pop the fuse. If thats not the case I'm sure emotiva will take care of you, but problems are always annoying.
post #288 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post

Received a pair of Ultra 12s yesterday & just finished setting them up in the basement theater. Demoed "Terminator Salvation" after dialing them in. All I can say is that for the money, I can't imagine that there is a better deal available anywhere for a pair of subs. They absolutely blew me out of my seat. Prodigous low end output, incredible dynamics, & unbelievable slam for the money. The way they pressurize the room is phenomenal. I immediately went upstairs to listen to the same scenes in my main theater with dual Epik Empires, & was even more impressed by what I'd heard from the Ultras. Thank you again Emotiva, for another amazing product at an unbelievable price.

Are you saying you prefer the Emotiva Ultras over the Epik Empires? If that is true, that is quite a statement.
post #289 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully78 View Post

I just posted what the manual says, but what you say makes sense.

So I have a Onkyo 608 that runs 7.2 with two individual sub outputs, if I run a "y" from each out put I should have better response from both of my Ultra 12's?

Acutally in the PDF manual on their site it also says this on page 13-

Note: Both RCA inputs (5.) on your Ultra Subwoofer are summed inputs. Either can be used for a single output to single input connection. If you are using a multi‐channel audio‐video processor that has Left and Right Subwoofer outputs, connect both outputs to the subwoofer inputs for a summed connection..

Is left and right subwoofer outputs the same as 2 subwoofer outputs? Would it still provide a summed connection?
post #290 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

Are you saying you prefer the Emotiva Ultras over the Epik Empires? If that is true, that is quite a statement.

I interpret it as he meant that he was even more impressed with the Ultras after hearing how well they sounded in comparison to the Empires... but not necessarily that they were better than the Empires.
post #291 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I interpret it as he meant that he was even more impressed with the Ultras after hearing how well they sounded in comparison to the Empires... but not necessarily that they were better than the Empires.

What I meant was that the dual Ultra 12s in a 15x15x8 basement provide an incredible amount of clean, accurate, bass definition and slam; a palpable, in your chest pounding, tight and potent. They are probably too much for that room, but I love 'em. The way they pressurize the room is extremely effective.

My dual Epik Empires, in a 32x15x7 room that's open to a stairwell, a bedroom, & a hallway, cannot pressurize the room to the same extent, which isn't surprising, given the space they have to contend with. I probably need quads to achieve the same effect as I get in the basement. The Empires sound fantastic in this room, & measure flat to about 15Hz, using an SMS-1 & an AntiMode 8033, they just can't provide the "feel" that the Ultras hit you with in the basement, which is why I've got 11 Aura Bass Shakers in the seating area.
post #292 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Thought this was a funny pic I just took of the setup. MFW-15 on right and Emo 12 on left, pic doesn't even do it justice. I keep calling my Emo a 10" because it's so damn small!.
LL
post #293 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

I just bit on the 12". We just got new furniture in our living room and the SVS 25-31PCi got banished to the basement HT. I really wanted a smaller SV sub, but couldn't get the wife up to the pricepoint. At $359 this sub seems like a great value and the reviews were convincing. Looking forward to trying it out.
post #294 of 703 Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Well I bit on the Ultra 12. Will have a Velodyne CHT-10 to compare it to as that is the retired HT sub. Currently borrowing a Velodyne DD12 so it will get to go up against a much bigger and more expensive sub of similar size. Albeit not having an EQ I expect to do quite well...hopefully.
post #295 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post

Given all that I have read about the Ultra series of sub-woofers - granted there is not that much on them - I think it will be an adequate replacement for the HSU STF-2. Going from a down firing sub to straight ahead is probably the biggest change I will need to grow accustom to. Emotiva has very good return policy and really back up their products well so if I am not satisfied, back it goes. I am just not happy to spend $270 yesterday when I have a backlog of other components on my wish list.

How does the Ultra 10 compare to the Hsu STF-2?
post #296 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Bass doesn't care if its down-firing or front-firing.

Either way, extension wise, the HSU should beat the Emo all day.
post #297 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Well it looks like the sale is over on the Ultra 12, back to $599. The Ultra 10, however, is still on sale for $289.
post #298 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

I have to agree. I had the STF-1 and for an 8 inch it had amazing extension.. I gave my brother that sub for a wedding gift (his wife loves me) and ordered the Ultra 12.. It will be interesting to see the differences between the two.
post #299 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

That sucks, hopefully they will ship you out a replacement real quick.

Yeah just called them and they took care of me. Customer Service seems really good.
post #300 of 703 Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Agreed, the STF-2 should beat out the Ultra 10 pretty easily. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ultra 12 can extend lower than the HSU in-room - some owners are getting extension down to the claimed 22Hz in room. The STF-2 might still have the edge in overall output though - not sure since I haven't heard the HSU in my room.

As far as the Ultra 12 vs STF-1... I think that's an easy win the the Ultra-12.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page