Emotiva Ultra Subwoofers - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 703 Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Do you live very close to a cell or radio tower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 703 Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

I am looking @ going from a MFW15 to the Ultra 12" .

I want something smaller in size. So will I feel the difference? Bigger woofer to me is not always better (in general) so coming from a 15"-sub to a 12"-sub.... I can justify. Would the Ultra 12 be a good one to come down from the MFW15?

No, a properly working MFW-15 is a monster ported sub with a bigger cone. You'll probably be very disappointed with the output going down to an Ultra-12 ( which when not on sale is a horrible buy considering its price-range ).
post #363 of 703 Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM

out of curiousity, how are you all hooking your ultra 12 up to your avr? I have an Onkyo 807 so my option is only sub/coax/rca style cable. Does it behoove me to buy a dual-to-single style cable so that it can be connected in "summed" fashion vs unbalanced.

I tried connecting both sub-out's to both inputs on the Ultra 12 just to see what happened. It sounded much louder and muddy, so I quickly removed the erroneous cable.

now with more pops n thuds
post #364 of 703 Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by propboyblu View Post

out of curiousity, how are you all hooking your ultra 12 up to your avr? I have an Onkyo 807 so my option is only sub/coax/rca style cable. Does it behoove me to buy a dual-to-single style cable so that it can be connected in "summed" fashion vs unbalanced.

I tried connecting both sub-out's to both inputs on the Ultra 12 just to see what happened. It sounded much louder and muddy, so I quickly removed the erroneous cable.

What you did is the same as using a y-cable, since dual sub outs on the AVR are the same signal. You'd prolly need to reduce the sub's gain to compensate and re-calibrate the system for the increased input level.
post #365 of 703 Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 AM

I had a cheap Y cable I found and used that on the end of the coaxial RCA. I haven't tried it yet with just one input. It sounds fine to me, so you probably do need to re-adjust. My Pioneer AVR set the sub at down at max -12db with the gain at half (straight up)
post #366 of 703 Old 08-28-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHayes View Post

I had a cheap Y cable I found and used that on the end of the coaxial RCA. I haven't tried it yet with just one input. It sounds fine to me, so you probably do need to re-adjust. My Pioneer AVR set the sub at down at max -12db with the gain at half (straight up)

Redo it with the sub gain to 9:00 and you then should come in around -6 to -8 on the receiver. A -12 gives you no where to go with the receiver sub adjustment.
post #367 of 703 Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Quick review for the Ultra 12, by me.

I did some final tuning with MCACC, after turning the speakers to "small", and making the x-over point 80hz. I defeated the LPF on the Ultra12, and used the LFE out of the Pioneer Elite VSX-21txh. Even with the gain at about half, MCACC turned the input level down -1.5db. This is in a 6000 cubic foot room, with the subwoofer about 17' from the main listening position. To test the results, I popped in Avatar. The subwoofer is connected to the AVR via a 20' long RG-6 cable, plugged directly in to the white terminal.

The results were pretty remarkable for a sealed 12" sub in such a large room. The sub got way down low with the helicopter tracks, and remained very tight, not "muddy" at all. The bass was able to make good impact to the chest, even in this size room. I am very surprised, but delighted with the results. I chose this sub because I live in a shared building, and did not want to be too obnoxios (I was previously considering an Epik Empire). I still find that there is ample headroom should I want to get silly (and upset the MCACC gods).

I am more than happy with the results from my sale priced Ultra12, yet would not be upset if it had been full priced (so long as no one else got it at $399 or $359). If you're in the market for this type of sub, keep checking Emotiva's website over the weekend for their big Emofest sale.
post #368 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

Quick review for the Ultra 12, by me.

I did some final tuning with MCACC, after turning the speakers to "small", and making the x-over point 80hz. I defeated the LPF on the Ultra12, and used the LFE out of the Pioneer Elite VSX-21txh. Even with the gain at about half, MCACC turned the input level down -1.5db. This is in a 6000 cubic foot room, with the subwoofer about 17' from the main listening position. To test the results, I popped in Avatar. The subwoofer is connected to the AVR via a 20' long RG-6 cable, plugged directly in to the white terminal.

The results were pretty remarkable for a sealed 12" sub in such a large room. The sub got way down low with the helicopter tracks, and remained very tight, not "muddy" at all. The bass was able to make good impact to the chest, even in this size room. I am very surprised, but delighted with the results. I chose this sub because I live in a shared building, and did not want to be too obnoxios (I was previously considering an Epik Empire). I still find that there is ample headroom should I want to get silly (and upset the MCACC gods).

I am more than happy with the results from my sale priced Ultra12, yet would not be upset if it had been full priced (so long as no one else got it at $399 or $359). If you're in the market for this type of sub, keep checking Emotiva's website over the weekend for their big Emofest sale.

My Yamaha receiver (YPAO) keeps setting the sub to -10db. I have the gain set to just under half, yet it still comes in with it as low as possible.

I'm manually going in and overriding the gain and putting it to -6 or -4 or somewhere around that. The bass is pretty good, but I feel like it could be hitting a bit harder. Do I need to change some setting so the YPAO sets it correctly?

I'm lost on this.
post #369 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

My Yamaha receiver (YPAO) keeps setting the sub to -10db. I have the gain set to just under half, yet it still comes in with it as low as possible.

I'm manually going in and overriding the gain and putting it to -6 or -4 or somewhere around that. The bass is pretty good, but I feel like it could be hitting a bit harder. Do I need to change some setting so the YPAO sets it correctly?

I'm lost on this.

Yes, turn down the gain on the sub and run YPAO again till it comes out close to or "0". Then you can later bump it up if you like. YPAO balances all channels so if the sub is too hot it will raise the other channels too. -10db is a clear sign that the sub is too hot.
post #370 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Yes, turn down the gain on the sub and run YPAO again till it comes out close to or "0". Then you can later bump it up if you like. YPAO balances all channels so if the sub is too hot it will raise the other channels too. -10db is a clear sign that the sub is too hot.

what do you mean by too hot?
post #371 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what do you mean by too hot?

You're running the gain on the subwoofer too high, lower it so the YPAO gets you close to +0 after auto-setup. Then adjust to taste.
post #372 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN_plyR View Post

You're running the gain on the subwoofer too high, lower it so the YPAO gets you close to +0 after auto-setup. Then adjust to taste.

ok, when you say adjust to taste, are you referring to the gain on the sub, or the db level within YPAO?
post #373 of 703 Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM

I'm strongly considering ordering an Emo 10 primarily because I don't have a lot placement options in the room.

Right now the only place I can really put the sub in a corner on top of a cabinet. The cabinet is built into the wall and is very sturdy. However, I'm still worried that it may make the cabinet rattle. I guess I could always buy one and try it out, but if the rattling is very likely to be an issue, I'd just rather not buy it.

If rattling is an issue would putting some the sub on top of some sort of foam or padding be likely to solve the problem.
post #374 of 703 Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok, when you say adjust to taste, are you referring to the gain on the sub, or the db level within YPAO?

I'd use the sub's gain for adjusting to taste, just remember what you did in case you need to run YPAO again. But it really doesn't make any difference.
post #375 of 703 Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

I'm strongly considering ordering an Emo 10 primarily because I don't have a lot placement options in the room.

Right now the only place I can really put the sub in a corner on top of a cabinet. The cabinet is built into the wall and is very sturdy. However, I'm still worried that it may make the cabinet rattle. I guess I could always buy one and try it out, but if the rattling is very likely to be an issue, I'd just rather not buy it.

If rattling is an issue would putting some the sub on top of some sort of foam or padding be likely to solve the problem.

I got the Emotive Ultra 10 a couple of weeks ago to replace a Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 10. Just before the replacement I played the pods emerging scene from War of The Worlds at volume to shake the floors, made the swap, ran Audessey setup on my Onkyo 606, then played the scene again. In both cases the floor shook throughout the scene but the Emo made a clearer sound than the BassCube. I like it fine!
For you, placement will be a problem for any sub, but the 10 should rattle things less than the 12. Some is up to you for the volume you listen at.
post #376 of 703 Old 09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

Just don't place it at the half way point up and down. A third from the top or bottom is OK. Then again, it will depend on how big the room is.
post #377 of 703 Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

I got the Emotive Ultra 10 a couple of weeks ago to replace a Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 10. Just before the replacement I played the pods emerging scene from War of The Worlds at volume to shake the floors, made the swap, ran Audessey setup on my Onkyo 606, then played the scene again. In both cases the floor shook throughout the scene but the Emo made a clearer sound than the BassCube. I like it fine!
For you, placement will be a problem for any sub, but the 10 should rattle things less than the 12. Some is up to you for the volume you listen at.

How big is your room?
post #378 of 703 Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

How big is your room?

About 18' x 12' with the viewing area across the width in the right 70% of the room and the sub placed beside the sofa near the right rear corner of the room.
post #379 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 AM

Does anyone have two of these hooked up? Preferably the 12", but I'm curious to know what sort of improvements were noticed. Thanks
post #380 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does anyone have two of these hooked up? Preferably the 12", but I'm curious to know what sort of improvements were noticed. Thanks

I've got 2 Ultra 12s in a 15x15x8 basement. They are overwhelming in that room. I think 1 would have been enough, but at the sale price, I had to get 2. May move 1 into my bedroom. I've also got 2 Epik Empires in a 32x15x8 room.
post #381 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post

I've got 2 Ultra 12s in a 15x15x8 basement. They are overwhelming in that room. I think 1 would have been enough, but at the sale price, I had to get 2. May move 1 into my bedroom. I've also got 2 Epik Empires in a 32x15x8 room.

how do they stack up to the 2 Empires?

My room is 23x19x9, 1 isn't cutting it.
post #382 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

how do they stack up to the 2 Empires?

My room is 23x19x9, 1 isn't cutting it.

I really have no idea. I've never compared them in the same room with the same equipment. The Empires are set up with a Velodyne SMS-1, Audyssey Multi EQ, & an AntiMode 8033. The room is open to 2 hallways & another 15x10x8 room. They do an excellent job, 80% music, 20% HT. The Ultras were only level matched and stacked, but in a sealed room < 1/2 the size, they're incredible. If I had it to do over again, I think I would go for 5 Ultra 12s (at the original sale price of $359 ea.) The Empires were $1780 delivered, the Ultras $718 delivered.
post #383 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM

For those interested, I emailed Emotiva in regards to their next sale. I was told that in November there will be an annual sale, so people who are on the fence about purchasing a 12" sub may want to hold off until then. I'm not sure I can recommend this sub at $599, but at $359, it's a no brainer.
post #384 of 703 Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

For those interested, I emailed Emotiva in regards to their next sale. I was told that in November there will be an annual sale, so people who are on the fence about purchasing a 12" sub may want to hold off until then. I'm not sure I can recommend this sub at $599, but at $359, it's a no brainer.

Thanks for the information on the sale. I just need to offload some equipment I've recently replaced and upgrade my sub!
post #385 of 703 Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My FIL picked up an Ultra 12 while his Velodyne was being repaired. He prefers the Velodyne, but has kept the Ultra 12 for now to maybe use as a second sub one day. I mentioned something to him about comparing it to my current sub, an Eosone RSP 910. He told me to take it home and use it so, of course, I obliged!

WOW!!! What a difference! It was like going from no sub at all to having a sub. I couldn't believe the difference. The footprint isn't much bigger so WAF is OK with it. She also noted how much better it sounds! I use Eosone RSF600 towers and a Def Tech C1 center, along with 2 Eosone satellites from the RSS702 package. I'm running a Denon AVR-3802 and manually adjusted each channel with a RadioShack SPL meter.

During music the Ultra 12 is smooth and blends right in. It always seems effortless. I listen to a wide variety of music and everything sounds so much better with the Ultra 12. I played the intro from Aerosmith's Flesh off the Get a Grip CD and was immediately taken back to my car stereo days. I couldn't believe I was achieving these same results in my family room! It is quite large and open to several other rooms. 15x20 with 13.5 feet ceilings, open to the foyer, dining room, and kitchen as well as two hallways. But the Ultra 12 fills the space just fine.

For movies I tried a couple of favorites. Dark Knight was one of the first ones. Now I understand why everyone talks about the hospital scene! I was very underwhelmed with my Eosone when I played it for the first time, but not with the Ultra 12! I also rewatched some scenes from Transformers and before I knew it I was an hour into the movie. It was like watching it for the first time all over again.

I have no idea when my FIL will want this sub back, but I know that when he decides to take it back I will be ordering something to replace mine.

Quote:

Thanks for the info! That may be my queue to pick one up!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #386 of 703 Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Any guesses on how much Emotiva will sell their 12" subs during the next sale? I hear they will go on sale over the holidays.

I am racking my brain between a HSU STF-2 and the Emotiva 10". If the Emotiva 12" will drop back down to 359, I will surely pick one up. i just want really clear base extension.

Room size around 15' x 15'
Energy RC30's L/R
Energy RCmini CC Center
Energy RC-10 Rears

Denon 1910 receiver
post #387 of 703 Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The 10" just went on sale for $289 shipped.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #388 of 703 Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

The 10" just went on sale for $289 shipped.

waiting for the 12 to go on sale!
post #389 of 703 Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

waiting for the 12 to go on sale!

same here. hopefully it'll go to $359 again, then I'll definitely be picking up a 2nd.
post #390 of 703 Old 10-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Hello, I'm in the market for a subwoofer for a small room (a dorm a little under 1500 cubic feet) and I have about $300 to spend, which is what brought me to this thread. I saw that the 10" was on sale for $289, and I was wondering if this sub would be recommended to suit my needs.

My primary uses are 80/20 movies/music. The music covers a wide range, but mostly rock and orchestral. As previously mentioned, I'm in a dorm, so that dictates my listening habits. I tend to only crank it up occasionally on weekends when no one will mind. Of course I'm not planning on staying in a dorm forever, so when I do move on, I'd like for the sub to be able to make the transition to a slightly larger space.

I hope this isn't too off topic for the thread, but I was just wondering what your opinions would be on the Emotiva sub for my setup. I've seen recommendations for the BIC H100 and the eD A2 (a little over my budget, but could be pushed if the recommendations were strong enough).

Also, for reference, my setup is an old Harman Kardon AVR230 amp, Infinity Primus P162 LR, PC250 center, and SS2001 surrounds.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page