Emotiva Ultra Subwoofers - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 703 Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume that you had to pay for shipping for the repair. That gets expensive when you do it twice! I assume that they paid shipping back?

UL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 703 Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight1 View Post

I assume that you had to pay for shipping for the repair. That gets expensive when you do it twice! I assume that they paid shipping back?

UL

I had to pay to ship it back to them the first time, they paid the shipping both ways the second because it blew within two weeks of the first repair so I do appreciate their top notch customer support it just makes me a little leery of this sub.
As a side note I rarely use the sub, I have a small HT room, keep the gain at just under half and Audessey EQed it at -10 so no I'm not over stressing the sub in case that came into question.
post #543 of 703 Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 AM

I like the Ultra for music but let's face it; it doesn't shake the house as well as an equivalently powered and priced ported sub. For mainly HT, there are many other good choices too. There is shake and there is shake and to each might mean something else. Not enough low-end extensions to produce the deep rumbles found in many movies although I find the price worth paying to get less boomy with music. A stronger amp will make a big improvment. It is what it is and that it's a good sub overall.
post #544 of 703 Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobhano View Post

I like the Ultra for music but let's face it; it doesn't shake the house as well as an equivalently powered and priced ported sub. For mainly HT, there are many other good choices too. There is shake and there is shake and to each might mean something else. Not enough low-end extensions to produce the deep rumbles found in many movies although I find the price worth paying to get less boomy with music. A stronger amp will make a big improvment. It is what it is and that it's a good sub overall.

And the ported sub equivalently powered and priced likely does not blend as well with small satellites leaving a frequency gap. And room extension can affect either sub type positively or negatively - hard to tell unless you try and then measure. And the ported sub won't roll as naturally sounding in the low end. And the ported sub is probably larger. And... and... etc.

It's good to point out trade offs of both "sides" (there certainly are plenty of trade-offs made in choosing a sealed sub as you've pointed out) as we don't always know all the factors that go into how each person selects a sub.
post #545 of 703 Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Liked: 12
The Ultra 12 is $499 now. Not such a great deal anymore.
post #546 of 703 Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

The Ultra 12 is $499 now. Not such a great deal anymore.

It'll be back.
post #547 of 703 Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM

At $499, the Epik Legend is the choice in my opinion....

UL
post #548 of 703 Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Part of my attraction to the Ultra 10 was the intro price of under $300. It's not as great of a steal at it's current price But I bought the second one on sale, free shipping as I already had one.

In my case, living in an apartment, maybe it's better it does not extend much lower. If I was in a house, I would probably explore other options than the Ultra 10. I don't know how much lower the 12 goes. But you see all these pretty reasonably priced Hsu models that can go pretty low.

The $400 to $500 subwoofer market seems pretty tight.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #549 of 703 Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
agreed.

the ultra 10 is a very nice sub (< $300) when pair with decent small speakers (Klipsch RF-3s). however, when i moved them to my dedicated theater room with big speakers, 15 woofers, it could not keep up. i am now building two 15" subs.
post #550 of 703 Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

It'll be back.

Do you have any idea when, or are you just hypothesizing? I was going to purchase the 12" until its price rose.

Thanks!
post #551 of 703 Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey everybody! I just placed an order for the Emotiva Ultra 10 sub, which will be accompanying a Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver, Pioneer FS-51 tower speakers, C21 center channel, and a pair of BS21 surrounds that I also all just ordered. I just have a couple of questions about phase and crossover.

1. I have read the Emotiva Ultra 10/12 owner's manual, and if my understanding is correct I should set the Low Pass Filter to "bypass" because crossover frequency will be handled in the reciever. Is that correct? And if that is not correct, then what should I set crossover frequency to? For reference, the specs for those Pioneer speakers can be found here.

2. Secondly, as I understand it I should leave the phase set to 0 unless the sub seems distant or unintegrated with the other speakers. Is that also correct?

3. I intend to use the 521-K's MCACC feature; does MCACC simply adjust the volume level of your speakers, or does it also configure crossover and phase?

Thanks Emotiva owners!

Click here for my home theater setup
post #552 of 703 Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Hey everybody! I just placed an order for the Emotiva Ultra 10 sub, which will be accompanying a Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver, Pioneer FS-51 tower speakers, C21 center channel, and a pair of BS21 surrounds that I also all just ordered. I just have a couple of questions about phase and crossover.

1. I have read the Emotiva Ultra 10/12 owner's manual, and if my understanding is correct I should set the Low Pass Filter to "bypass" because crossover frequency will be handled in the reciever. Is that correct? And if that is not correct, then what should I set crossover frequency to? For reference, the specs for those Pioneer speakers can be found here.

2. Secondly, as I understand it I should leave the phase set to 0 unless the sub seems distant or unintegrated with the other speakers. Is that also correct?

3. I intend to use the 521-K's MCACC feature; does MCACC simply adjust the volume level of your speakers, or does it also configure crossover and phase?

Thanks Emotiva owners!

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Mcacc handles the volume at different frequencies as well as crossover and phase as well. Initially your speakers will be set to large by Mcacc after calibration thus eliminating bass management of the sub and leaving your mains to handle bass duties. Be sure to set you main speakers to small and cross them over at 80hz for starters after performing Mcacc.
post #553 of 703 Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Thinking about adding one of these to supplement my DefTech Trinity. Thoughts?
post #554 of 703 Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetHT View Post

I had the same issue with my Ultra 10, twice. The customer service was great, but now I have little faith in my sub. Other than that it sounds good.

My 10 stopped working this weekend, bought in November. Power light is on but I can't get anything out of it. Emailing support now.
post #555 of 703 Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Mcacc handles the volume at different frequencies as well as crossover and phase as well. Initially your speakers will be set to large by Mcacc after calibration thus eliminating bass management of the sub and leaving your mains to handle bass duties. Be sure to set you main speakers to small and cross them over at 80hz for starters after performing Mcacc.

Thank you for answering all of my questions, kesando. I'm relieved to know I'm at least starting to comprehend all of this audio stuff.

post #556 of 703 Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozeltf View Post

My 10 stopped working this weekend, bought in November. Power light is on but I can't get anything out of it. Emailing support now.

amp probably died.

sent mine in last month to replace the amp.
post #557 of 703 Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM

I have a question about the 10" vs 12"...

My room is 12x12x8. The subwoofer will be 3 ft away from me, either on the side of my desk or under it; 60" 150lbs wood desk and carpeted floor. I use mostly low/medium volumes because I value my hearing. Would the 10" suffice and save me $200? I'm 90% concerned about music; I actually dislike my local IMAX movie theaters because they have ridiculous LFE effects...
post #558 of 703 Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwenty View Post

I have a question about the 10" vs 12"...

My room is 12x12x8. The subwoofer will be 3 ft away from me, either on the side of my desk or under it; 60" 150lbs wood desk and carpeted floor. I use mostly low/medium volumes because I value my hearing. Would the 10" suffice and save me $200? I'm 90% concerned about music; I actually dislike my local IMAX movie theaters because they have ridiculous LFE effects...

Back before I moved, I had a single Ultra 10 in a room the same size. It was more than enough bass anyone would want. Then I got the second, and it was even crazier. I think a single ten would do great in there.
post #559 of 703 Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM

I've been eyeing an Ultra 10 for some time now waiting for the price to go lower. All this time failing to realize that Emotiva has a B-stock / Factory Renewed section. $20 bucks off isn't as much of a markdown as you'd like to see on a refurb (and it's the older finish which may not please some), but enough for me to finally pull the trigger. My uber-budget setup is now:

Pioneer BS41 bookshelfs - $79.99 shipped
Onkyo SR-508 amp - $159.xx Shipped
Emo Ultra 10 sub - $279.00 Shipped

With so few options for a cheap musical sub, it's been impossible to find as stupidly good pricing as I got an the speakers/amp. I just hope the sub being in a different league then the rest of the system doesn't mean they won't play nice together.
post #560 of 703 Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Liked: 11
The Ultra 12 is on sale for $429 w/free shipping, $399 if you buy two!
post #561 of 703 Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Ugly View Post

I just hope the sub being in a different league then the rest of the system doesn't mean they won't play nice together.

I just got the Emotiva Ultra 10 last week, along with a Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver, Pioneer BS21 bookshelves, and Pioneer C21 center channel. On Monday the Pioneer FS51 floor standing speakers will arrive, and the BS21s will move to the back as the surrounds. But in the meantime for the weekend I'm running them in the front. I can tell you that even the cheaper BS21s blend seamlessly with the Emotiva sub. After running MCACC, I literally cannot tell where the speakers end and the sub begins, and music sounds very nice. So don't worry

post #562 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Lovin the emo 10 so far... Exactly what I was looking for, very musical sub. Will get a second and stack them when I get the chance. I am using it in a small room, has a tight punchy feel with solid lows into the mid 20's, have it crossed over at 90hz.
post #563 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM

I don't think this is going to happen but I'd love to hear someone compare one of the Emo10s with the Rythmik 12s in terms of musicality/accuracy and quickness in the transients. I'm sure the Rythmik extends lower and play louder but for music, if the Emo 10 is as musical, then that would work just as well as most music does not extend below 20s if that.

UL
post #564 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I don't think this is going to happen but I'd love to hear someone compare one of the Emo10s with the Rythmik 12s in terms of musicality/accuracy and quickness in the transients. I'm sure the Rythmik extends lower and play louder but for music, if the Emo 10 is as musical, then that would work just as well as most music does not extend below 20s if that.

UL

One thing that we often overlook is that the study of bass extension requirement was based on 1) stationary signal, and 2) no reverberance in the recording. That was how they came to the conclusion that the sub only need to extend to 40hz or something similar. But in reality, stationary signal is not music. The music is comprised of constant changing signals. To fully capture the changing of the signal to preserve the musicality, we need wider bandwidth than the stationary signal. Wider bandwidth (and hence bass extension down to below 20hz or even lower) can also preserve the reflection of the sound energy around the instrument and performer and give you better idea of the presence of the instrument and environment they are in. The most obvious example is solo violin, I am not sure if you are a fan of solo violin. They don't even have significant energy below 80hz. So literally you can turn off sub and use front speakers set to "small". You can compare the sound with sub and without sub, the most significant difference is the sense of the "body" and "presence" of the violin. Of course, with a lesser sub, it actually makes the instrument bloated and slow.
post #565 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

LOL Rythmik, you're in the Emotiva thread. DO you have a software that pops up to let you know when Rythmik shows up on any thread? Thanks for the info.

UL
post #566 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

LOL Rythmik, you're in the Emotiva thread. DO you have a software that pops up to let you know when Rythmik shows up on any thread? Thanks for the info.

UL

Sorry to invade this thread. But I felt compelled to make a comment as I have seen many similar remarks.

There is no magic software. All I did is search the keyword Rythmik and see if there is something I can clarify. I do learn try to be as objective and just stay on the subject.
post #567 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Nah, no invasion. Its all about info sharing....

Yes, I'm aware that there are much lower tones being produced beyond just the lowest fundamental of a musical instrument.

UL
post #568 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

One thing that we often overlook is that the study of bass extension requirement was based on 1) stationary signal, and 2) no reverberance in the recording. That was how they came to the conclusion that the sub only need to extend to 40hz or something similar. But in reality, stationary signal is not music. The music is comprised of constant changing signals. To fully capture the changing of the signal to preserve the musicality, we need wider bandwidth than the stationary signal. Wider bandwidth (and hence bass extension down to below 20hz or even lower) can also preserve the reflection of the sound energy around the instrument and performer and give you better idea of the presence of the instrument and environment they are in. The most obvious example is solo violin, I am not sure if you are a fan of solo violin. They don't even have significant energy below 80hz. So literally you can turn off sub and use front speakers set to "small". You can compare the sound with sub and without sub, the most significant difference is the sense of the "body" and "presence" of the violin. Of course, with a lesser sub, it actually makes the instrument bloated and slow.

From experience I can attest to the extra presence added to music from a sub capable of sub 20hz bass. Its nice to be able to feel the music in addition to hearing it thus making it seem more like a live performance.

In the case of the Ultra 10 vs. Rythmik F12, The Ultra 12 would be a more suitable sub for comparion due to its superior extension over the 10. Add the SVS SB12nsd and ED A3s 500 and you have a nice sealed sub shootout.
post #569 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalan View Post

Do you have any idea when, or are you just hypothesizing? I was going to purchase the 12" until its price rose.

Thanks!

As of yesterday =)
post #570 of 703 Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I just got the Emotiva Ultra 10 last week, along with a Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver, Pioneer BS21 bookshelves, and Pioneer C21 center channel. On Monday the Pioneer FS51 floor standing speakers will arrive, and the BS21s will move to the back as the surrounds. But in the meantime for the weekend I'm running them in the front. I can tell you that even the cheaper BS21s blend seamlessly with the Emotiva sub. After running MCACC, I literally cannot tell where the speakers end and the sub begins, and music sounds very nice. So don't worry

Thanks! That made me even more impatient to have this thing shipped. Thank the audio gods that Nashville → Chicago is only two days.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page