Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave888 View Post

damn, this sale sure is tempting...

considering 2 Ultra Sub 12 vs 1 epik empire... hmmmm

That's two 12" drivers vs two 15" drivers?
post #93 of 703 Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

That's two 12" drivers vs two 15" drivers?

yea

but dual 12s that can be moved around the room individually for optimal placement
post #94 of 703 Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 View Post

THat sub really wont give you much extension beyond 25-30hz on its own, if your just running one, find a corner to place it in to help accentuate room gain. And you shouldn't be jacking the 25hz frequency slider on the Onkyo either. Remember, for every 3db boost you need to double the power, jacking the low frequency on a subwoofer is a goodway to clip the amp and overdrive the sub real easy. The Ultra plate amp doesnt have much headroom to begin with. If you want better low frequency extension, buy a larger sub or get a second Ultra 12. If you just want to smooth the sub out, then try different placement areas in the room first to see where you get the smoothest responses and then use the sub EQ on the Onkyo to tame out the bumps ONLY(in other words reduce the sliders at the frequency adjustments). You should never add more than 1-2db of boost, your better off making cuts to smooth things out.

Solid advice to be sure, but the whole post was based on quick findings. Like I said I didn't have time to integrate the sub fully using audyssey or the BFD 1124 I have lying around. Fact is cuts would be much better and as I am able to get the sub past 115 dB easy in my room, making cuts across the board are necessary to get it to play nice with the rest of my speakers anyway.

As for extension, after finding a better placement for the sub and running audyssey and initially playing around with the BFD, 22Hz should be easy. Just waiting on a calibrated mic for better measurements.

Initial impressions from that post may seem lackluster, but fact is, I didn't have the sub long enough to get it settled. I wish I was a professional and had a whole day to dedicate to a single piece of gear, but I am not. I don't think it matters which sub you get, you have to spend time integrating to get it to perform optimally and that wasn't the case for my original post.
post #95 of 703 Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

There is an Emotiva Ultra sub sale announced.
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=subwoofeers&action=display&thread=11815

Also, if you already purchased you get a refund.
I called and they are mailing me a check for my prior Ultra 10 purchase.

Mike

Oh right on. So do I need to e-mail them and ask? Because I bought one on the 27th when they were $349.
post #96 of 703 Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendation here? Need some advice on getting either 2 ultra 10's or 1 ultra 12. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thxs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitlin View Post

What to buy?

Need some advice. Want to take of advantage of the current promotion and was considering either 2 10 or 1 12 for a condo setting open room layout which includes living room, dining, and kitchen total of 3800 cubic ft area for 50/50 music + movie. Any suggestion here?? TIA!

post #97 of 703 Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM

^^^

Bueller? Anyone? Bueller....Bueller.....
post #98 of 703 Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Two 12's would be better than either of those options....just sayin'.
post #99 of 703 Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Got the notification that my 12 has shipped. Should be here on Thursday if all goes well.

Looking forward to it

Up Up Down Down L R L R B A Start
post #100 of 703 Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Oh right on. So do I need to e-mail them and ask? Because I bought one on the 27th when they were $349.

I think it is automatic, but I would watch for it!

Mike
post #101 of 703 Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I think it is automatic, but I would watch for it!

Mike

I sent them an e-mail hinting at how it would have been nice to have waited one more day for me to order the sub!

Either way, It comes this Thursday.
post #102 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 AM

OmnigamerOmega -- just curious if you've had a chance to listen to the sub.
post #103 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 AM

I pulled the trigger on the Ultra 12 on Wednesday, it should be here (Mexico) on Tuesday, this will be my first "real" sub so I can't give you much comparison or expert opinion

Glory Glory Man United
post #104 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

SO i got it yesterday, and plugged it in my PC system here at work just to test and make sure it is good to go. My goodness. I have a custom made 8" sub here, and it is clean and goes to about 30Hz. It has NOTHING on this Ultra 10. WOW. Very excited to get this thing integrated into my bedroom system and let the blu-ray's fly!
post #105 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just got my Ultra 12 yesterday. I placed it in the same location I previously had my Mirage Prestige S10 (front right corner), and level matched it with my speakers using the AVR's (Denon 1910) test tones and Aperion analog SPL meter.

I played with the phase but settled with it back at 0. I haven't done any further fine tuning yet - ie. no Audyssey.

I was surprised by the amount of output. Overall, I think it's a little punchier than the Prestige S10, and definitely has more output compared to the S10 with one port plugged (had to run it this way due to room peaks created by corner loading). I'm only running the gain at about 8-8:30 o'clock - so a little less than 1/4.

As far as SQ, I think they're about the same, but need a little more time to determine. The Ultra is tight and clean sounding, but still gets a tiny bit sluggish on rapid double bass (used All that Remains "Overcome" CD to test this). I don't think it's any worse that the Prestige here, but not decidedly better - at least not under these conditions.

I think the corner placement is an issue for either sub, sealed or ported, and I'm going to need some EQ to really clean everything up. Overall though, just plopping the Ultra 12 here, and level matching, it does sound pretty dang clean.

I have one main gripe, and it's cabinet build quality. There is definitely a fair amount of cabinet wall flexing during playback. I just don't think it's braced as well as it should be. The cabinet of the Prestige S10 is more inert than that of the Ultra 12. But it's a budget sub, so I supposed one can't expect rock solid, dead cabinets.

So far, I am pleased with performance. I will give the sub a good audition, and run Audyssey to dial in the system better. Unfortunately, I have no other placement options, so I have to make due with corner placement. I'm not 100% sure I'll keep it, but there is a fair chance it'll stay.
post #106 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I just got my Ultra 12 yesterday. I placed it in the same location I previously had my Mirage Prestige S10 (front right corner), and level matched it with my speakers using the AVR's (Denon 1910) test tones and Aperion analog SPL meter.

I played with the phase but settled with it back at 0. I haven't done any further fine tuning yet - ie. no Audyssey.

I was surprised by the amount of output. Overall, I think it's a little punchier than the Prestige S10, and definitely has more output compared to the S10 with one port plugged (had to run it this way due to room peaks created by corner loading). I'm only running the gain at about 8-8:30 o'clock - so a little less than 1/4.

As far as SQ, I think they're about the same, but need a little more time to determine. The Ultra is tight and clean sounding, but still gets a tiny bit sluggish on rapid double bass (used All that Remains "Overcome" CD to test this). I don't think it's any worse that the Prestige here, but not decidedly better - at least not under these conditions.

I think the corner placement is an issue for either sub, sealed or ported, and I'm going to need some EQ to really clean everything up. Overall though, just plopping the Ultra 12 here, and level matching, it does sound pretty dang clean.

I have one main gripe, and it's cabinet build quality. There is definitely a fair amount of cabinet wall flexing during playback. I just don't think it's braced as well as it should be. The cabinet of the Prestige S10 is more inert than that of the Ultra 12. But it's a budget sub, so I supposed one can't expect rock solid, dead cabinets.

So far, I am pleased with performance. I will give the sub a good audition, and run Audyssey to dial in the system better. Unfortunately, I have no other placement options, so I have to make due with corner placement. I'm not 100% sure I'll keep it, but there is a fair chance it'll stay.

Good write up.
I thinks it is clear that these are budget subs, so some factors may not be up to what a higher priced sub would offer - eg fit/finish.
But I'm satisfied with my Ultra 10.
Mike
post #107 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Unfortunately there was a small shipping mishap and my order was delayed one day, but I have it on hand and hooked up now. I'll be playing around with it after I get home from work and throughout the weekend. I don't have an SPL meter, nor do I have exquisite ears, but I'll do my best to put it through its paces and give some comments on it.

In an unrelated note, my Mitsu HC3800 PJ arrived today as well, so this is going to be a very fun weekend

post #108 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got an Ultra 12 coming Monday. Couldn't pass up the deal. Fact is, I'll be using it as a mid-bass module as an addendum to my Epik Phoenix (18" driver, down ported).

Be interesting to hear how it does, not as a main SW, but as an auxiliary SW.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #109 of 703 Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Even Thiel's top of the line speakers are made in China. The Chinese will build to whatever quality is required. Most of the speaker industry farms out to China, not just Emotiva.

Triad builds em in Portland Oregon. That's good ole USA. But their prices are 4x(?) higher than Emo's, so no free lunch.
post #110 of 703 Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Well, I've had a bit of time to spend with it now, and I have to say that I am extremely satisfied. I noticed a big difference in bass when I initially upgraded to my Dali Ikon 2s as fronts from a junky HTIB set (they dip to about ~43 Hz), and this well exceeds that difference in improvement.

I calibrated everything with Audyssey and messed with phase enough to get it about right, and I really am quite satisfied. It gives everything a lot more presence, between music and movies etc. I've put it through some power metal, classical/orchestral, and even some techno/electronica and for the most part it responds tight and clean, as Alphaii pointed out. There's still a bunch to change up yet to get it just right, though. Watched through several portions of Dark Knight, and the bass seemed to be what it needed to be.

All that said, take my words with a grain of salt. This is my first sub, after all, so I don't have any experience to compare it against. My HT setup is also decidedly on the "cheaper" side (I'm just a poor grad student, after all), but I've brought it up using a lot of help from these forums.

For reference, this is my current setup:

-14x15x10 room
-Denon AVR 2310CI receiver
-Dali Ikon 2
-Emotiva Ultra 12
---Volume at roughly 1/3
---Phase at ~100*
---LPF off; set in receiver
---Crossover set at 60 Hz

post #111 of 703 Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Finally got this thing in and calibrated. Have only played some hip-hop music wise and the bass is hitting much cleaner than the Wharfedale. Gonna play a movie tonight and really put it to the test.
post #112 of 703 Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 PM

I pulled the trigger on the Ultra 10 despite a relative lack of reviews and measurements. My current sub has died (gain knob/amp issues), but that's not a big deal since it was the 10" Paradigm CT90 sub. I expect this is still a decent upgrade once I get the Behringer dialed-in and Audessey re-run.
post #113 of 703 Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM

I ordered the Ultra 12. I hope it is everything I am expecting. If not I guess I can return it and try something else. That would be a pain to have to ship it back though.
post #114 of 703 Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

So i watched District 9 last night and all I can say is WOW. Thing shook my BED and made the closet doors rattle. My last sub didn't even come close to doing that.

WELL worth the $300 price tag.
post #115 of 703 Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM

What I'm enjoying most with it so far is not the powerful big bass for explosions etc (not to say that it's bad for that; I just haven't had the time to run it through many movies yet) but rather the more subtle sustained bass in music and ambient tracks. The sub gives a whole new sense of substance to everything, it just makes me feel good inside to listen to it.

post #116 of 703 Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I think they need to keep the price tags for these subs where they are, because I am not 100% sure they are going to be cost effective at a higher price with so many other ID sub companies doing the same price, but most likely better performance.
post #117 of 703 Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got the Ultra12 delivered (missing a power cord, which EMO sent to me post haste).

My room is about 2500 cu ft. So average, to larger than average HT room.

I'm running Onix Rockets all the way around in a 7.1 config. Had an Epik Phoenix in the mix, but pulled it out just to see what the Ultra 12 could do on its own.

In short, the Ultra 12 is a very nice sub. It's built well. Weight and size comparison to my Phoenix really isn't fair. The Phoenix absolutely dwarfs it. But, a nice 14" square cube with a quality driver, quality build, quality electronics? Very nice job by Emotiva. I was wondering about the weight (again, the Phoenix would squash it like a grape). My worries were unfounded. Put on the (included) feet and this sub anchors down and pumps out some prodigious LFE. LFE in the 25Hz-30Hz and up range is rendered with authority and with no "floppy" overhang. It's tight and musical, too. Played a BD that had broke my previously owned HSU VTF3, Serenity. The Ultra 12 handled it, with ease. "Brothers in Arms" DVD-A ("Money for Nothing" track, in particular) has a drum intro that will stress lesser low end speakers. Again, the Ultra 12 attacked it hard, and cleanly. Impressive.

The Ultra 12 won't reach into that sub 20 Hz range. And, if you've got a huge room, you probably want to go with duals (or quads) to get the last word in SPL and smoothness. But, for a medium sized room, or coming from an "old" sub, or a sub that may be feeling substandard in the size dept (talking those old 8", 10" and some 12" subs), the Ultra 12 seems to me to be a performance vs value leader. In short, very hard to beat for the money. I mean, $399 + free shipping? Free trial? Hard to really go wrong.

For those who are curious, adding the Epik Phoenix back into the mix with the Ultra 12 (which is the reason I bought it to begin with), well......my LFE was just bumped up to a much higher level that even I was surprised by. The Phoenix getting down real low, and putting out impressive SPL, with the Ultra 12 doing tight duty higher in the Hz range.

I'm sure I might be able to get better performance, but I don't think I'd be able to do it without adding quite a bit to my LFE investment.

I'm pleased, if you couldn't tell.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #118 of 703 Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM

I finally got my Ultra 12 set up and have tried it out enough to form some opinions on it. First off, it is too much for my small room (13x11x8). I should have bought the Ultra 10. Oh well I have room to expand I guess. The sub sounds nice and looks good also. I am pleased so far and will continue to fool around with settings and things to tweak it if I can. If anyone is thinking of getting one, I would say go for it now while it is still on sale.
post #119 of 703 Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM

It's on "super sale" for 10% off the already on sale prices (the 10 is $269 and the 12 is $359). Wish I'd have waited another week or so before ordering! I'll be setting up my Ultra 10 on Father's Day.
post #120 of 703 Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM

I was thinking about purchasing the Ultra 12. Can anyone that owns the sub tell me about the front grill? I have an 18 month old boy that likes to poke things. Is the grill a hard plastic with holes in it or just a soft piece of cloth that doesn't offer much protection?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page