Emotiva Ultra Subwoofers - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 703 Old 06-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arondee View Post

I was thinking about purchasing the Ultra 12. Can anyone that owns the sub tell me about the front grill? I have an 18 month old boy that likes to poke things. Is the grill a hard plastic with holes in it or just a soft piece of cloth that doesn't offer much protection?

The frame is plastic but nothing in the middle to prevent small fingers from poking through the cloth cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 703 Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My HSU STF-2 -which I loved - died today and to fix it would cost nearly $150 has forced me to buy a new sub today. So, I decided to go with the Ultra-10. I hope it it was a good decision. The price was great on Emotiva site and they are known for offering high quality products at low prices.
post #123 of 703 Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post

My HSU STF-2 -which I loved - died today and to fix it would cost nearly $150 has forced me to buy a new sub today. So, I decided to go with the Ultra-10. I hope it it was a good decision. The price was great on Emotiva site and they are known for offering high quality products at low prices.

Hmm. Pretty different kinds of subs, Hsu being ported and the Emotiva being sealed. I suspect the Emotiva won't hit the lows as well in movies, though it'll like "blend" better with your system if you have small satellites (rolloff isn't as steep).

I just set up my Ultra 10 this morning, coming from a ~$150 ported sub (Paradigm Cinema 90 10"). In my case, it's a definite upgrade. Not a ginormous upgrade, but noticeable - the Ultra actually reaches 23Hz in my room before starting to roll off, whereas the Paradigm reached down to a mighty *cough* 38Hz... which makes it more of a mid-bass module to add punch rather than much of a sub.

post #124 of 703 Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Given all that I have read about the Ultra series of sub-woofers - granted there is not that much on them - I think it will be an adequate replacement for the HSU STF-2. Going from a down firing sub to straight ahead is probably the biggest change I will need to grow accustom to. Emotiva has very good return policy and really back up their products well so if I am not satisfied, back it goes. I am just not happy to spend $270 yesterday when I have a backlog of other components on my wish list.
post #125 of 703 Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Given all that I have read about the Ultra series of sub-woofers - granted there is not that much on them - I think it will be an adequate replacement for the HSU STF-2. Going from a down firing sub to straight ahead is probably the biggest change I will need to grow accustom to. Emotiva has very good return policy and really back up their products well so if I am not satisfied, back it goes. I am just not happy to spend $270 yesterday when I have a backlog of other components on my wish list.

I strongly prefer downfiring subs over front or side firing subs. It's a shame most of today's subs are front firing. They look so plain to me. Nothing like having a high powered woofer pointing directly at the floor ready to pound at a moment's notice.

P.S. to those who are going to hit me with the tech stuff....

Yes I know that bass is omnidirectional and there are other design details that carry much more weight than what direction the woofer is firing. But that does not change my personal preference for downfiring designs. I love downfiring ported subs for HT and front firing sealed subs for music.
post #126 of 703 Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sorry, I have to ask what sounds different?

I have designed both, there is no difference in sound.

Personally, I like front ported front firing to FEEL the rush of air during the biggest impact scenes. That is definitely something different then from down firing.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #127 of 703 Old 06-20-2010, 08:12 PM

With the current sale the HSU STF-2 is around the same price as the Ultra 12. Which do you guys think is a better option for home theater use?
post #128 of 703 Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

With the current sale the HSU STF-2 is around the same price as the Ultra 12. Which do you guys think is a better option for home theater use?

Frankly, lots of variables to answer that question..room size and shape, sub placement, listening levels, etc.

While I was never able to "A-B" my old VTF3 and the current Ultra 12, I'd take the Ultra 12. Understand, that I only listened to the Ultra 12 for a couple of days before I also added my Epik Phoenix to the mix.

So, there's one very subjective opinion.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #129 of 703 Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So this may be an odd request but I am planning to delve into the small sealed scene and see how I like it. Moving into my new house comes with space requirements in the living room unfortunately...and well extra seating takes precedence over my need for foundation shaking bass.

With that said, I am looking at the Ultra 12 seeing it's price is very attractive, or a MartinLogan Abyss (used most likely but >$500). I have a few more expensive options being considered but these two above are at the top of the list currently. Wondering if anybody has possibly heard or had a chance to compare the two? They are very similarly sized and have similar power output and specs. Obviously doesn't tell the whole story but if anybody has any insight on the two I would appreciate hearing it.
post #130 of 703 Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Just received (in about 3 business days no less) and hooked up my Ultra 12 to my Onkyo 807, which is powering Quad 22L's for 2-channel listening.

Did some quick tweeking, threw on the James Taylor CD, and am now enjoying a mellow break-in. Pretty impressed so far. Going to go easy on the sub for a few days before I run Audyssey and give it the 5.1 challenge. It's quite lovely how much richer the bass guitar and cello are compared to straight 2-channel listening.

now with more pops n thuds
post #131 of 703 Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by propboyblu View Post

Just received (in about 3 business days no less) and hooked up my Ultra 12 to my Onkyo 807, which is powering Quad 22L's for 2-channel listening.

Did some quick tweeking, threw on the James Taylor CD, and am now enjoying a mellow break-in. Pretty impressed so far. Going to go easy on the sub for a few days before I run Audyssey and give it the 5.1 challenge. It's quite lovely how much richer the bass guitar and cello are compared to straight 2-channel listening.

Don't go easy n it.

Crank it up and get it rocking.......

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #132 of 703 Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Just got my Ultra 12 inch this morning. It's all plugged in and ready to go but the wife works nights so she's sleeping. Anyone vote for a rude awakening?
post #133 of 703 Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just got my Ultra 12 inch this morning. It's all plugged in and ready to go but the wife works nights so she's sleeping. Anyone vote for a rude awakening?

Sure, but I'm sure you have an idea what the reaction will be. Let us know how it goes with the sub (and the wife too).
post #134 of 703 Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB426 View Post

Sure, but I'm sure you have an idea what the reaction will be. Let us know how it goes with the sub (and the wife too).

Yeah, I don't want the sub going out the window. I guess I should wait until she wakes up at 4.
post #135 of 703 Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Ultra 12 is on sale for $359 shipped.
post #136 of 703 Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Ultra 10 is on sale also, as well as almost everything Emotiva sells. They started a "4th of July" sale about a week ago, so presumably the sale will be going on for another week or so.

I'm about 90% of the way towards pulling the trigger on the Ultra 12, I've just been debating wether I could build a sub with the same performance for cheaper. Seems like it would be tough to do at $359 with free shipping, but I don't know enough about diy...
post #137 of 703 Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Wouldn't you know it, Emotiva ships there products out via FedEx - signature required. Ahhh!!!! I missed the driver 3Xs this past week. I am going to have to take off from work early this Monday to be there to sign for the darn thing. I wish Emotiva offered the option of signing the tag with the instructions to just leave the package at the door. It would make my life so much easier. Should I not be able to be home on Monday, FedEx holds the thing for a week at one of their facilities which is across town and not easy to get to. But here is the real kicker, they are only open M-F and not Saturdays. So, one way or another I will have to miss some work. This is a bit frustrating.
post #138 of 703 Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't you know it, Emotiva ships there products out via FedEx - signature required. Ahhh!!!! I missed the driver 3Xs this past week. I am going to have to take off from work early this Monday to be there to sign for the darn thing. I wish Emotiva offered the option of signing the tag with the instructions to just leave the package at the door. It would make my life so much easier. Should I not be able to be home on Monday, FedEx holds the thing for a week at one of their facilities which is across town and not easy to get to. But here is the real kicker, they are only open M-F and not Saturdays. So, one way or another I will have to miss some work. This is a bit frustrating.

Try just signing a sticky note and leave it on the front door with directions to leave the delivery. I do this all of the time. You will just have to take responsibility if the sub goes missing.

Just saw they say "Direct Signature" so I don't know if this will work or not. I have always gotten away with signing a note for everything that required a signature.
post #139 of 703 Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Well I got my Ultra 12 and after 3 days I'd like to give my experience. This is going to be the least technical review ever written by a techie software engineer.

I moved up from an 8 inch JBL with a 100 watt amp. There was a noticeable difference in sound quality before I even turned it on.

I placed the sub in the right corner behind my main speakers to start things out. Then I ran it through MCACC with my Pioneer 1019 and was very unhappy because it made me turn the sub down to about 1/8 power before it would continue and even then Pioneer set it to -9 DB. I changed my main speakers to small because MCACC loves to call bookshelves large and popped in Method Man Tical 2000 to test out the initial configuration.

The vocals of Perfect world hit my ear like a knife and the bass punched me in the chest like my 18 month old son or a Nick Diaz jab, whichever is less. Inside I cried a little.

I went back to MCACC and turned the DB on my sub from -9 to +4. Then I moved the gain knob on the sub up to about 1/2 power. The initial bass from Judgment day shook a painting off the wall and turned another sideways in a bathroom across the house. I heard a muffled explicit from my wife in the bedroom. Then I popped in 'Up' on Blu-Ray and played through the thunderstorm in the ship on the PS3 with the 18 month old watching. When the thunder struck he fell out of his chair and ran to grab my leg. Now he's scared of that movie. I'm happy.
post #140 of 703 Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I used to think this way as well. Until I ordered a sub that was left at my front door at 10:15 a.m and was gone before I got home for lunch at 11:15 a.m. If this ever happens to you it is a HUGE pain to get reimbursed for your loss. Think 2 months with Fedex claims process.

I know it's a pain in the ass to have to sign for a unit but just think of the contrary. Imagine coming home to find out that your sub which is labeled as "delivered" is no where to be found. No one believes you. And no one really wants to deal with you via claim. Also Paypal will wash their hands of the situation and reject any claims for this incident due the tracking # stating "item delivered" even if it's left at your front door.

The moral of this story. Be careful what you wish for.
post #141 of 703 Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Ultra 12 is on sale for $359 shipped.

Wow, being that they're a sealed design, bass drops off a bit sooner than a ported design, so having multiples is a must, and that price is low enough that there's no excuse NOT to buy at least two. Four would be best, putting on in each corner of the room, so long as your able to accurately adjust time delay for each of them.

YID DIY
post #142 of 703 Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

and that price is low enough that there's no excuse NOT to buy at least two. .

Exactly, ordered my two!!
post #143 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 AM

How would one of these compare to a BIC Acoustech PL-200 ? That is the sub I'm looking at right now since I'll be getting the full Acoustech surround setup.

Is the PL going to be a lot louder because it's ported? Go deeper? Help me make a decision!!! Any advantage with the Ultra over the PL200? Flatter response?

What if I ran both, would that sound bad having both a ported and sealed sub?
post #144 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Liked: 14
Ordered the Ultra 12 earlier today. Just got a confirmation e-mail that it has shipped. Wow, 3 hours from order to shipped, that's service!
post #145 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

Ordered the Ultra 12 earlier today. Just got a confirmation e-mail that it has shipped. Wow, 3 hours from order to shipped, that's service!

Yep, ordered yesterday, shipped today, delivery tomorrow. Great Service.
post #146 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM

It came double boxed. About 1/2 the size of the HSU-stf. Sounds pretty good. All in all, it looks and feels well built. I am happy with the purchase.
post #147 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

It came double boxed. About 1/2 the size of the HSU-stf. Sounds pretty good. All in all, it looks and feels well built. I am happy with the purchase.

Cool, I told the wife she is not allowed to leave the house until taking delivery tomorrow. Good thing she is a teacher and is out for the summer. Now she can sit and wait for my new toys
post #148 of 703 Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Liked: 34
The Supercube 2 sounds too boomy, so I am not overly impressed. Would the Ultra 12 be a better option? I can take the SC back to BB. With the money, I could even buy 2 Ultra 12's.

Would that be a better option?
post #149 of 703 Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM

would the ultra 12 be a benefit with a pair of DefTec BP7001SC's...was thinking of adding a sub and maybe a XPA-3 amp to my 3808CI....thanks
post #150 of 703 Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The Ultra 12's (especially duals) will work much better than a supercube. There's no real substitute for size. The supercubes are more aimed toward very small rooms where space is at a premium. They do what they are designed to do very well, but they just can't put out enough to fill a larger room.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page