post #181 of 703 Old 07-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercrazed View Post

Thanks for the info on the shirt...

Man I'm really impressed by the sub, for the size and the price it's a win-win...

Anybody interested in a good deal on a MFW-15?

Pioneercrazed, Just curious as to how the Emotiva Ultra 12 compares to the MFW-15. Why you chose the Ultra 12 over the MFW-15? I was looking into an getting an Ultra 12 but was able to get a used MFW-15 for a decent price. The MFW-15 has been good so far, just didn't realize how big it was (its huge). Since the Ultra was one of my choices at the time, it would be good to hear your thoughts about the two. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 703 Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
pulled the trigger on the sub 10 to go with my klipsch rf-3 setup.

replacing onkyo 10" htib sub. hopefully i will hear (feel) the difference.
post #183 of 703 Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM

smokarz: Lemme know what you think of it with your RF-3 setup, I'm getting mine (hopefully it arrives tomorrow), to go with my RB35/RC35 setup.
post #184 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

pulled the trigger on the sub 10 to go with my klipsch rf-3 setup.

replacing onkyo 10" htib sub. hopefully i will hear (feel) the difference.

Its not even a comparison. That Onkyo was holding back your HT experience ten fold.
post #185 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy207 View Post

Pioneercrazed, Just curious as to how the Emotiva Ultra 12 compares to the MFW-15. Why you chose the Ultra 12 over the MFW-15? I was looking into an getting an Ultra 12 but was able to get a used MFW-15 for a decent price. The MFW-15 has been good so far, just didn't realize how big it was (its huge). Since the Ultra was one of my choices at the time, it would be good to hear your thoughts about the two. Thanks

In similar environments, there is no way in heck an emo 12 will outperform a properly working mfw-15. Just...no.....way..
Please note, I did add the caveat "properly working" for the mfw-15...
just my 2 cents..
best,
Chris
post #186 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Its not even a comparison. That Onkyo was holding back your HT experience ten fold.

i do hope so.....it cost two and a half benjamins. my daughter's week worth of daycare. lol
post #187 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Liked: 11
I'm so tempted to get one of these, would it be better than what I currently have? (Nothing?) it does look like the finish and style would match my Polk Monitor 70's?

I'm not sure how the balanced input works, my Receiver is old school and only has analog inputs, it has some sort of output that resembles and RCA only I think it is different, ill have to double check when I get home.

Some of my favorite speakers use thick treated paper cones, but I'm wondering about the cones on these Emotivas? The only problem with paper cones is that they can fold if pushed really hard in SPL woofers. Other than that it has great properties for a speaker, stiff and light weight.
post #188 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Don't worry the subs have normal RCA inputs as well. And I don't think the paper cone thing is anything to worry about. These aren't car subwoofers that are subject to high heat/humidity from the outdoors. I'm sure if something happened to them Emotiva would take care of you, from what I've read they have a great warranty and customer service. If you go with a 12 or even a 10 you'll have way better bass than the polk subs offer. They are great bang for the buck. I'd say get the 12, should work fairly well in your room, or get 2 if you are feel like it. I was going to go with two, but my room has big vaulted open ceilings open to the kitchen/dining room/hall etc. Now I'm thinking the DIY route with a ported 15" with a quality driver. The 12 emotiva would be great for music and goes deep too.

Holy cow, I had to do double take. How have you been Justin? Fry any LEDs lately? Man, I've been away from CPF for too long.
post #189 of 703 Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacHayes View Post

Don't worry the subs have normal RCA inputs as well. And I don't think the paper cone thing is anything to worry about. These aren't car subwoofers that are subject to high heat/humidity from the outdoors. I'm sure if something happened to them Emotiva would take care of you, from what I've read they have a great warranty and customer service. If you go with a 12 or even a 10 you'll have way better bass than the polk subs offer. They are great bang for the buck. I'd say get the 12, should work fairly well in your room, or get 2 if you are feel like it. I was going to go with two, but my room has big vaulted open ceilings open to the kitchen/dining room/hall etc. Now I'm thinking the DIY route with a ported 15" with a quality driver. The 12 emotiva would be great for music and goes deep too.

Holy cow, I had to do double take. How have you been Justin? Fry any LEDs lately? Man, I've been away from CPF for too long.

Wow Isaac, how have you been man? I don't get on CPF much either, but I tend to stop in around X-mas time every year for some reason. Bought a house so now I have to get some real equipmet. Haven't fried any LED's for a a while now either hah. Anyways, didn't expect to see you on here let alone replying to my post, nice!

Checked the receiver and it is just a regular RCA. So would I need a splitter or would that be pointless?

Screw it I bought one. I have high expectations for this not too expensive woofer though. I could not resist with the fact that there is free shipping, good price, looks like it is quality built from the pictures, and the plain square style of the box and color appears to be a direct match for my Polk Monitor 70's and 40's.
post #190 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Been busy, life has been crazy lately. I just bought a house too. Finally have space for my projects & project cars. Things are a mess, need to get some shelves so I can sort through things and get stuff off the floor in the garage/etc. Have lots of little projects too to do to the house. Home theater is one of them. I'm thinking of going with the lc-60e88un sharp tv, BIC acoustec PL-28,89,66's for speakers, and probably one of the pioneer elite receivers with the bigger power supply. Sub plans right now are a 5 cuft slot ported box with an exodus tempest 15" ported to 20hz. On the LED side I still have 5 cree XR-E's to build into a HA 3C mag.. LOL The SST-90 looks tempting though at 30watts single LED...

For your sub, you'll want to use both RCA inputs on it as that will give you more output I believe from what I've read. go to www.monoprice.com enter in 6261 in the search, then plug that into the sub and your RCA male cable into that. If you go with 2 subs later, then pick up a # 663 (.55 cents!) to keep on hand (as well as another 6261). Plug the 663 into the back of the receiver then for the dual subs.. That site has lots of cheap cabling, I plan to get all my stuff from there. Do keep in mind the 6261 splitter is shielded and is pretty stiff/hard to bend from the reviews. Another option is to use the 663 into the receiver and plug dual RCA's from that to one sub. You'd need 2 more 663's and 2 more RCA cables if you had another sub of course.

Did you get the 12 or the 10? Do let us know how it does! They do look nice and compact. Pretty handsome without being too flashy. Should blend in with any equipment really. I need to save money, but I'm tempted to get one just to see how it performs. I've thought about getting just the 10" as it's cheaper and using it in the bedroom or something.
post #191 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

i just ordered the Ultra 10.

do you really need the 6261 plug from monprice?

do both RCA connectors on the sub needs to be plugged?

can anyone else confirmed?
post #192 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Been busy, life has been crazy lately. I just bought a house too. Finally have space for my projects & project cars. Things are a mess, need to get some shelves so I can sort through things and get stuff off the floor in the garage/etc. Have lots of little projects too to do to the house. Home theater is one of them. I'm thinking of going with the lc-60e88un sharp tv, BIC acoustec PL-28,89,66's for speakers, and probably one of the pioneer elite receivers with the bigger power supply. Sub plans right now are a 5 cuft slot ported box with an exodus tempest 15" ported to 20hz. On the LED side I still have 5 cree XR-E's to build into a HA 3C mag.. LOL The SST-90 looks tempting though at 30watts single LED...

For your sub, you'll want to use both RCA inputs on it as that will give you more output I believe from what I've read. go to www.monoprice.com enter in 6261 in the search, then plug that into the sub and your RCA male cable into that. If you go with 2 subs later, then pick up a # 663 (.55 cents!) to keep on hand (as well as another 6261). Plug the 663 into the back of the receiver then for the dual subs.. That site has lots of cheap cabling, I plan to get all my stuff from there. Do keep in mind the 6261 splitter is shielded and is pretty stiff/hard to bend from the reviews. Another option is to use the 663 into the receiver and plug dual RCA's from that to one sub. You'd need 2 more 663's and 2 more RCA cables if you had another sub of course.

Did you get the 12 or the 10? Do let us know how it does! They do look nice and compact. Pretty handsome without being too flashy. Should blend in with any equipment really. I need to save money, but I'm tempted to get one just to see how it performs. I've thought about getting just the 10" as it's cheaper and using it in the bedroom or something.

Yea, man I love monoprice, almost local to me too. I have a nice wiring project to run some Cat6 into the living room, right now the cable is tapped to the floor for my media center PC. Mono price is cheap but my order is going to be well over $200 still. the HTPC is running Media Portal using the MyTVSeries and Moving Pictures for movies. Data Stored on WHS server in the office. If your serious about HT, Media center is the way to go. I'm on a tighter budget than you are, but so far I got 2 Polk Monitor 70's a CS2 center and 2 Monitor 40's for rears and now I have an Emotica 12" on the way. Using an old receiver I had from back in Highschool that has only 1 set of 5.1 RCA inputs lol. But hey with media center, I only need one set of inputs for 5.1! So far the entire setup has cost me under $1000 and should sound quite good. The monitor 70's actually get fairly low without a woofer, so they should blend in well. I just need to find some software for my sound card I am using for decoding to cross over the speakers and clean it all up. Of course I'm still not sure how I'm going to wall mount my monitor 40's and more importantly I don't know how I will get wires to them.

I kind of want to put the sub in the corner between the 2 couches, but running a long RCA or Coax line to it might prevent me from locating it there. Planning to tuck all the wires in between the wall and the tack strip for the carpet, so even with 16ga it would be a tight fit and VERY time consuming.

The finish looks like it matches these quite well, especially with the square corners http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-015-_-Product
post #193 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

i just ordered the Ultra 10.

do you really need the 6261 plug from monprice?

do both RCA connectors on the sub needs to be plugged?

can anyone else confirmed?

No you do not have to use both inputs if your receiver has a singe LFE/sub out.

From manual.
5. RCA/Unbalanced subwoofer inputs
Using a female to male balanced cable, connect
the balanced subwoofer output on the preamplifier (male connection) to the balanced subwoofer input on the subwoofer (female connection).
RCA/Unbalanced connections (4. 5.) may be used if the preamplifier does not have a balanced subwoofer output.
Note: Both RCA inputs (5.) on your Ultra Subwoofer are summed inputs. Either can be used for a single output to single input connection. If you are using a multi‐channel audio‐video processor that has Left and Right Subwoofer outputs, connect both outputs to the subwoofer inputs for a summed connection.
post #194 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Gib

I just received my Ultra Sub 12 yesterday. My wife was concerned about the large box and watched as I unpacked it til I could prove it was actually quite small. I haven't been able to play it because I am waiting for my receiver to arrive but the packaging and build quality seem very good (even at only 38lbs).

A few people have mentioned the cone as being paper. According to Emotiva literature it is made of para-aramid fiber (of which the most common example is Kevlar) so it is not wood pulp based paper. Maybe you are lumping all fabric based cones into the "paper" category? In any case the driver seems quite solid with a strong rubber surround. It seems stiffer and stronger than my old Velodyne F1200.
post #195 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM

How would the Ultra 12 compare with subs just above and below it's current price of $359? I was looking at the BIC PL-200 ( prolly will not be going with that though). I was also looking at the svs pb10-nsd $450 or the vtf-2 mkII used for $300 or the vtf-2 mkIII for $550... This will be used about 40/60 music/ht. My living room is only about 12x14 with vaulted cealings and opened to the dining/kitchen area....

PS- I am upgrading from the ONKYO sub so I assume anything would be a huge improvement, I hope.
post #196 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully78 View Post

No you do not have to use both inputs if your receiver has a singe LFE/sub out.

Note: Both RCA inputs (5.) on your Ultra Subwoofer are summed inputs. Either can be used for a single output to single input connection. If you are using a multi‐channel audio‐video processor that has Left and Right Subwoofer outputs, connect both outputs to the subwoofer inputs for a summed connection.

It should be noted here that in the traditional sense of "summed", using a Y-cable to connect a single line to both inputs should increase your sub's level by about 3db. This would allow you to decrease the sub amp's level and provide more headroom. Since Emotiva has taken the trouble to specify a summed input, I'd assume that the above will apply. The difference may be academic, but it's worth noting.
post #197 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It should be noted here that in the traditional sense of "summed", using a Y-cable to connect a single line to both inputs should increase your sub's level by about 3db. This would allow you to decrease the sub amp's level and provide more headroom. Since Emotiva has taken the trouble to specify a summed input, I'd assume that the above will apply. The difference may be academic, but it's worth noting.

I just posted what the manual says, but what you say makes sense.

So I have a Onkyo 608 that runs 7.2 with two individual sub outputs, if I run a "y" from each out put I should have better response from both of my Ultra 12's?
post #198 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Justin yeah you'll be fine. Honestly if the sub doesn't match I don't think it's that big of a deal IMO as long as the other main speakers all match in looks. My DIY sub won't match at all, but it won't be next to the speakers it will be in a corner. If it was next to the other speakers I might want duals just to keep it symmetrical

Does anyone have a close up photo of the cone? I is it woven or paper in appearance? I can't tell from the photos on the site if the back side of the cone is pulp or not. It could be a pulp+fiber reinforced. I have to admit I like a rubber surround + poly or metal cone myself as far as looks, but I know that performance and the sub lasting are not dictated by one type of material, but rather the quality of how that material is put together and implemented.
post #199 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully78 View Post

I just posted what the manual says, but what you say makes sense.

So I have a Onkyo 608 that runs 7.2 with two individual sub outputs, if I run a "y" from each out put I should have better response from both of my Ultra 12's?

That's backwards, I was referring to an amp with 2 inputs. AFAIK, the 2 outputs on your AVR are just a hardwired Y in the first place. Putting a Y on that will have no effect.
post #200 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Yea I want to put it int eh back rear corner between the 2 couches where I have wasted space, but I have no idea how I would get the audio cable run all the way over there until the house needs a new roof (then I could drop some lines down). I might do the rear speakers in the baseboard maybe I could fit the RCA in there too?
post #201 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

That's backwards, I was referring to an amp with 2 inputs. AFAIK, the 2 outputs on your AVR are just a hardwired Y in the first place. Putting a Y on that will have no effect.

But he has 2 ultra 12's?
post #202 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

But he has 2 ultra 12's?

Got it, I missed the reference, he was asking about running each output to one sub with a Y at the sub. It wouldn't matter, you could do the same thing with one AVR output. It's easy enough to check with any 2-input sub. Just removing one side of the Y should cause a 3db (this is audible) drop in output if the amp is summing the inputs.
post #203 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Justin, is it as slab home or can you drill down and run the stuff over the basement ceiling?
post #204 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorton007 View Post

How would the Ultra 12 compare with subs just above and below it's current price of $359? I was looking at the BIC PL-200 ( prolly will not be going with that though). I was also looking at the svs pb10-nsd $450 or the vtf-2 mkII used for $300 or the vtf-2 mkIII for $550... This will be used about 40/60 music/ht. My living room is only about 12x14 with vaulted cealings and opened to the dining/kitchen area....

PS- I am upgrading from the ONKYO sub so I assume anything would be a huge improvement, I hope.

anybody care to chime in?
post #205 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM

snorton, the BIC could possibly be louder, since it's ported, and close to the same watts. That is if the driver is in the same league as the ultra. But it won't be as good for music that's for sure. The SVS I'm not sure, I've heard that they are pretty good for music, and being a 10 but ported should be slightly louder too. This is all just speculation as far as loudness goes. But if you are going to spend more than the BIC, then go with the Emotiva or the SVS. The emotiva will probably be better for music being sealed and the SVS will probably be louder due to being ported. How much and what matters to you is up to you. The SVS won't sound bad for music, but comparing them sealed tends to always win mind you.
post #206 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Justin, is it as slab home or can you drill down and run the stuff over the basement ceiling?

It's a slab home, with plaster walls, baseboard install seems easiest, but it's kind of not that easy either. I might just pickup a 50 foot RCA from monoprice for $10 to see where it sounds best and go from there. I might be able to route into the plaster and runt he wires under the baseboard, or add some crown molding and fish it up the wall. I guess I'll have to end up with 2 seperate orders from monoprice, no matter how I do it.

Quote:

Got it, I missed the reference, he was asking about running each output to one sub with a Y at the sub. It wouldn't matter, you could do the same thing with one AVR output. It's easy enough to check with any 2-input sub. Just removing one side of the Y should cause a 3db (this is audible) drop in output if the amp is summing the inputs.

Can someone that owns the sub please try this out to verify?
post #207 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:

snorton, the BIC could possibly be louder, since it's ported, and close to the same watts. That is if the driver is in the same league as the ultra. But it won't be as good for music that's for sure. The SVS I'm not sure, I've heard that they are pretty good for music, and being a 10 but ported should be slightly louder too. This is all just speculation as far as loudness goes. But if you are going to spend more than the BIC, then go with the Emotiva or the SVS. The emotiva will probably be better for music being sealed and the SVS will probably be louder due to being ported. How much and what matters to you is up to you. The SVS won't sound bad for music, but comparing them sealed tends to always win mind you.

Thats my take and that is as good as anyone could have stated it whom does not own both, or at least have both available for testing. Snorton since you said 40/60 I'd go with a sealed 12 over the ported 10. Then, if your not happy with the output you could always add a second Emotiva sealed 12 later without hurting SQ. Thats my plan anyways
post #208 of 703 Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
How would the Ultra sub 12 compare to the polk PSW505? or the eD A2-300? I am running Monitor 70's for fronts, monitor 60s for rear and a CS2 for the center. I listen to music 20% and HT 80%. I will be powering everything with a Denon AVR-1910

Thanks

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #209 of 703 Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

How would the Ultra sub 12 compare to the polk PSW505? or the eD A2-300? I am running Monitor 70's for fronts, monitor 60s for rear and a CS2 for the center. I listen to music 20% and HT 80%. I will be powering everything with a Denon AVR-1910

Thanks

It should be a step up from the Polk PSW505. And for music it will most likely have bettter SQ than teh A2-300. However for HT I believe the A2-300 will be king due to is ability to dig significantly lower in hz than either of the other two subs listed.
post #210 of 703 Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Well, the Ultra 10 got here this week- and I am VERY happy with it so far.

It blends in nicely with my RB35/RC35 (I set them to SMALL and the crossover to 60hz)

I can't wait to see what my wife thinks of it, when she gets back from her mini-vacation.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page