AVS Forum banner

Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread

Tags
jtr
176K views 2K replies 156 participants last post by  RMK! 
#1 ·
Here is a Post By Jeff Permanian on the JTR Forum site:

Quote:
The Orbit Shifter LF is currently in development and should be available by mid June. The first are to be displayed in public June 12th.

100db 1w (103db 2.83V) outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

25-150hz +/-3db outdoors, ground plane

30" tall, 22.5" wide, 45" deep (mouth 30" x 22.5" side)

160 lbs

Uses the same amplifier as the Duo, 4000 watts RMS and 7200 watts burst peak. "Low" mode will adjust the subwoofer for flat response down to 20hz.

Output Capablility: (calculated from 4000w, not 7200w peak)

133db average above 25hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

120db at 20hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

103db at 10hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

145db average above 25hz, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

132db at 20hz, outdoors, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

115db at 10hz, outdoors, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

In room numbers will be even higher than the eighth space (corner loaded) calculations.

For best results from two Orbit Shifters, install them along a wall either facing corners of a room, facing each other or, one of each depending on room modes.

Retail - $3599

Direct - $3199

-5% - $3039 (+4)

-10% - $2879 (+8)

The mentioned June 12th (Saturday) initial public demo will be in my HT in California. A pair of Orbit Shifters will be replacing my dual Captivators and all interested parties are welcome to attend. I will be posting a Thread with details in the Area Home Theater Meets Section of the Forum.

Should be interesting ...

See less See more
#977 ·
That's the thing though.. my room is not so sealed 20x20x10..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23755486

You are not looking hard enough. Anyways still an awesome setup and reference to 5 hz and above as long as the room is not enormous. I will have the same displacement in a 1574 cubic foot room! Pop has more as well as others with lots more. Still all Overhead but the room will be the final determination on headroom. I could use one Caps2 and one S1 and have enough for reference to 5hz. I love my room!

#979 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23755486

You are not looking hard enough. Anyways still an awesome setup and reference to 5 hz and above as long as the room is not enormous. I will have the same displacement in a 1574 cubic foot room! Pop has more as well as others with lots more. Still all Overhead but the room will be the final determination on headroom. I could use one Caps2 and one S1 and have enough for reference to 5hz. I love my room!

I am looking appropriately hard.

I know you love your room MK and speaking of headroom, while your 6'6" ceilings give you the SPL levels you like, they would make me feel claustrophobic

#980 ·
Me too until you sit down. Then everything is fine. Just think, the back row riser is worse! It was not my choice for low ceilings I just had to deal with what I had which was a very old basement and house construction. Anyways, Not one person ever said the ceilings were too short after a demo!

BTW, I do think quad Caps2's has the best low end for commercial products. Well, maybe one magico sub would best it

#982 ·
Question regarding the OS LF vs OS LFU. I have limited room behind an AT screen and want to place 2 OS back there. Browsing through Jeff's website and FB page, as well as this thread, it seems both units can be positioned in multiple different ways with equally good results. I understand the LFU's footprint could be smaller if set upright, but the depth (to get it behind a screen) would still be about 23 inches...right? With that said....

1. Which unit would you choose to squeeze behind an AT screen with limited room

2. And how would you position the grill/opening...ie) opening up or out ?

Thanks,

Chad

#983 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23775058

Question regarding the OS LF vs OS LFU. I have limited room behind an AT screen and want to place 2 OS back there. Browsing through Jeff's website and FB page, as well as this thread, it seems both units can be positioned in multiple different ways with equally good results. I understand the LFU's footprint could be smaller if set upright, but the depth (to get it behind a screen) would still be about 23 inches...right? With that said....

1. Which unit would you choose to squeeze behind an AT screen with limited room

2. And how would you position the grill/opening...ie) opening up or out ?

Thanks,

Chad

First, great sub choice that you will never regret.

1. Either one really. Lower extension with the LF so ....

2. Try both orientations for the best response. The position of the amp will limit this as you need the 23" dimension as the depth.

#984 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK!  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23775976

First, great sub choice that you will never regret.

1. Either one really. Lower extension with the LF so ....

2. Try both orientations for the best response. The position of the amp will limit this as you need the 23" dimension as the depth.

RMK....thanks for reply. Doesn't the LFU have the lower extension?

Chad

#985 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23776315

Chad

Yes it does, bigger volume and longer horn path:

OS LFU

Frequency +/-1db* 22-110hz (useful output below 10hz in room)

Sensitivity 97db, 1 meter, 1.41volts, 2 ohm

Useable Output** 133db

Amplifier 4000 watt RMS, 7200 watt burst

Dimensions 50×22.5″ x32″(HxWxD)

Weight 195lbs

OS LF

Frequency +/-1db* 26-110hz (useful output below 10hz in room)

Sensitivity 97db, 1 meter, 1.41volts, 2 ohm

Useable Output** 133db

Amplifier 4000 watt RMS, 7200 watt burst

Dimensions 30″x22.5″ x45″(HxWxD)

Weight 177lbs

#986 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23776315

Chad

Sorry, yes it does Chad. Typo ...

In fact based upon those specs the LFU seems like the no-brainer OS purchase but the slightly smaller LF might fit some needs better.

#989 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/960#post_23782266

So I was on the bfm forum cause I was thinking of picking up plans for the auto tuba when I ran into this article Bill wrote: 18" woofer in a horn

So what's up with that? Someone clue me in because the OS is both a large cone and high amounts of amplification and so is the gjalaborn as far as I know.
that link is not working for me. what does it say?

#992 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785119

Well that's weird. Here try this out:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1130

That is not all thrue. In the TH or FLH design is important to have not to high compression ratio for 18, 21 or 24 inch drivers. Hornresp program formula = driver diaphragm piston area (sq cm) Sd/S2 compression ratio =

#993 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785119

Well that's weird. Here try this out:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1130
now its working. I have never built a horn sub so all I can say is my OS's sound fantastic. Maybe it takes a really good horn builder to use the 18in driver in a horn. Maybe Jeff is going beyond conventional wisdom I don't know but the statement never use an 18 in a horn sub doesn't seem clear to me since the OS is considered by most, one of the best subs out there.

#994 ·
Here is a quote, "As for eighteens, forget about it. Aside from the fact that they are very vulnerable to damage with high power inputs, they just don't work well in horns. Horn loaded cabinets get low extension via a long path length; an eighteen takes up so much room inside the cabinet that there's not enough room left over for a long horn. Eighteens are only used by those who don't understand how horns work, or those selling their horns to those who don't understand how horns work."

Too bad Jeff isn't on the forums to reply to this!

#995 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785595

Here is a quote, "As for eighteens, forget about it. Aside from the fact that they are very vulnerable to damage with high power inputs, they just don't work well in horns. Horn loaded cabinets get low extension via a long path length; an eighteen takes up so much room inside the cabinet that there's not enough room left over for a long horn. Eighteens are only used by those who don't understand how horns work, or those selling their horns to those who don't understand how horns work."

Yeah, also try telling that to Josh Ricci who also designed the Gjallardhorn sub.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45&mset=42

Which has crazy output too.

#997 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785595

He probably don't need too. He's speakers and subs speak for themselves
. And almost everyone on this forum knows JTR's are solid built with output and quality sounding. Wow, I said that with confidence even though I havn't even heard any of the JTR line up. Well, I will soon..

#998 ·
Btw, how long has the OS been out? After reading through this thread when I was thinking of going with dual OS. I never came across reading about a failed OS. And don't forget about all those GTG's when those bass heads took the OS to insane levels and still not one driver failure..

#999 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785769

Btw, how long has the OS been out? After reading through this thread when I was thinking of going with dual OS. I never came across reading about a failed OS. And don't forget about all those GTG's when those bass heads took the OS to insane levels and still not one driver failure..

OS LF since may, 2010

OS LFU since january, 2012

#1,000 ·
Yea that's why I'm confused after reading that post because my os seems to function far greater than I could ever push it to.

The things said in that post that sticks out to me are: 1) large drivers don't work good in horns. My os has an 18 and at least I think they work good. 2) large drivers are vulnerable to high power in a horn. Since when has 4k watts been anything but high power? Though maybe this part does not fall in that category since I think Jeff uses limiters?

#1,001 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed  /t/1247005/official-jtr-orbit-shifter-subwoofer-thread/990#post_23785769

Especially those drivers that are used in the countless venues that go on for extended periods of time. They don't dig deep like for HT use, but they are belting out high SPL's.

Im not sure if they are the exact same driver in the pro models, but im sure they are produced by the same quality manufacture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.