Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1351 of 1359 Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
@yosh7 ....now that you've sold your subM's....did you end up getting dual OS's?
Man, it was close! I had emailed and called Jeff and he completely lived up to his excellent reputation. I had a list of questions and concerns and he addressed them very patiently. It ultimately came down to aesthetics and also the worry and conquest of missing out on <20HZ material.

I ended up going with three custom dual opposed 18" sealed subs (6 total 18" drivers) that are being made by Jeremy with Reaction Audio. I am hoping they give me the output above 20HZ (the nice tactile chest thump) along with the ULF that I just didn't want to give up on. I realize that Cap S2's were also an option and they too were on my short list of: 1. Orbit shifter lfu's 2. Custom Reaction Audio dual opposed sealed 3. Cap S2 4. DIY. 5. Waiting for the Submersive XL's to become a reality. Being very familiar with the sound of the sealed, dual opposed design of the SubM's that I sold, I felt it was a logical evolution to go with a similar design with larger drivers, more drivers, and more output.

Thanks to all of the advice of the JTR experts on this thread!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1359 Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Congrats on your purchase. I actually came across this while looking in the reaction audio sub thread.

Nabs17
post #1353 of 1359 Unread Today, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have considered an Orbit Shifter since I could hide it behind a screen wall and I'm looking for 99% movie use. However, if I wanted a balancing sub in the back of the room, I wouldn't want another Orbit Shifter back there...since it looks like it was created by the Borg. Are people balancing an Orbit Shifter with a different...more attractive sub? What would work back there?
post #1354 of 1359 Unread Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
I have considered an Orbit Shifter since I could hide it behind a screen wall and I'm looking for 99% movie use. However, if I wanted a balancing sub in the back of the room, I wouldn't want another Orbit Shifter back there...since it looks like it was created by the Borg. Are people balancing an Orbit Shifter with a different...more attractive sub? What would work back there?
How big is your room and is it be sealed or open?

You won't need more than one, but if you want two, both can go behind the screen. The OS can go so loud, balance is not what my concern when I've just run one in my room.

But if you want nearfield, you could get the non-LFU version and lay it behind the sofa...less obtrusive. At least you'll know it can keep up with each other.

My preference is two LFU behind screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #1355 of 1359 Unread Today, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
How big is your room and is it be sealed or open?

You won't need more than one, but if you want two, both can go behind the screen. The OS can go so loud, balance is not what my concern when I've just run one in my room.

But if you want nearfield, you could get the non-LFU version and lay it behind the sofa...less obtrusive. At least you'll know it can keep up with each other.

This will be for a new house build that should begin in April. The room will be sealed. Attached is an initial sketch. The room will be 25L X 17W X 10H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	585593  
post #1356 of 1359 Unread Today, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

I would definitely prefer behind the screen. When I model my room dimensions with REW, a rear sub seems to improve things...but that is just a computer model without actual testing.
post #1357 of 1359 Unread Today, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
This will be for a new house build that should begin in April. The room will be sealed. Attached is an initial sketch. The room will be 25L X 17W X 10H
Two subs placed between LCR...like so...
L--OS-C-OS--R

Keep each OS LFU about 12-18 inches away from the center speaker...it will give clean bass without boominess from side walls.

You might as well start with two shifters to save not only shipping, but curiosity will get the best of you later if you don't get both now. On the flip side, one will be plenty for 99% of the population and you can spend the 3k on other HT necessities...always can add another later.

Also, may want to ask on the JTR thread if anyone living within a couple hours of you has dual os to demo...let your ears decide.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #1358 of 1359 Unread Today, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Placing the OS LFU near wall will act as additional horn path which can increase output some on the low end. Best to measure because in some set ups it will be better corner loaded and in some better as assofi1 described. Depends on room acoustics. In my room corner loaded was better.

as far as balancing the OS with other subs, I have had multiple configurations and when I had one OS LFU I was running it with an Epik empire and two velodyne SC-12's sealed subs. The main issue is different phase repsonses over the frequency range but it can be done with some systematic measuring and tweaking of independant time delay, XO type and slop and phasing.

When I went to all OS LFU the job became easier because the all have almost identical FR and phase alignment.

If the room needs different subs, then get a mini DSP balanced 2x4, measure with REW and you will be amazed what you can achieve.

good luck
asoofi1 likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #1359 of 1359 Unread Today, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
I currently have ONE OS LFU which is placed nearfield to my bed.. and 2 x HSU 15 inch subs... It always sounds better with all 3 subs turned on vs just the LFU... but not necessarily 'louder'.. just smoother and better.. that's as best as i can describe it.. with just the 1 LFU, you get as loud as most ppl would ever want, but something's missing for me.. like i feel it's 'too hot' or 'not as balanced or smooth'... the sealed subs sort of add in the missing parts... .and balances everything out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jtr