Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all!
I've been reading AVS for years and decided to join as I placed my order for the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU today!
Have noticed there are lots of people in my neck of woods on these forums, nice to meet all of you and thanks for all the information over the years.
JT78681 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Hey all!
I've been reading AVS for years and decided to join as I placed my order for the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU today!
Have noticed there are lots of people in my neck of woods on these forums, nice to meet all of you and thanks for all the information over the years.
Congrats to you and I'm sure you will be impressed. I don't have one but I am full JTR and I'd have at least 2 of these if I could fit them.

Nabs17
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM

Sounds like the Orbit Shifters come with a sickness that can only be cured by getting more of them.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Sounds like the Orbit Shifters come with a sickness that can only be cured by getting more of them.
congrats on the purchase. When I got the first OS I swore I would never need another. Getting more of them is more about room smoothing than it is more output in most home spaces of reasonable size. The extra headroom is just icing on the cake. Look forward to hearing your impressions. Are you movies and music or heavily weighted towards one or the other?
Nabs17 and Freakquency like this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
congrats on the purchase. When I got the first OS I swore I would never need another. Getting more of them is more about room smoothing than it is more output in most home spaces of reasonable size. The extra headroom is just icing on the cake. Look forward to hearing your impressions. Are you movies and music or heavily weighted towards one or the other?

Doesn't matter since the OS is impressive for both [emoji1]
Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 209
^couldn't agree more. Just curious

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 06-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
My basement is 17,000 cubic feet of volume wide open right now, got to get to work building my audio/home theater room. I'm probably 75/25 music/movies, I like to crank it loud as I want to feel the music as you would at a live show, body impact tactile is what I like. My SVS SB13-Ultra I currently have does virtually nothing other than shake the duct work in the basement, there is no feel to it. Most of the metal I listen to has the kick drum frequencies either at 60 or 80 hz. The SVS driver moves a lot but is well beyond its limits in such a large space, just does not displace enough air to the feel impact.
Was going to go diy but I work 7 days a week so I just don't have the steam to get it done.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
My basement is 17,000 cubic feet of volume wide open right now, got to get to work building my audio/home theater room. I'm probably 75/25 music/movies, I like to crank it loud as I want to feel the music as you would at a live show, body impact tactile is what I like. My SVS SB13-Ultra I currently have does virtually nothing other than shake the duct work in the basement, there is no feel to it. Most of the metal I listen to has the kick drum frequencies either at 60 or 80 hz. The SVS driver moves a lot but is well beyond its limits in such a large space, just does not displace enough air to the feel impact.
Was going to go diy but I work 7 days a week so I just don't have the steam to get it done.
DJs use just one OS pro for high school dances...that should give you an idea the realm the shifters live in. You'll love how much you can crank the ULF for music...you won't be able to stay in the same room without fear.
Nabs17, DRC3 and Freakquency like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 06-03-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
DJs use just one OS pro for high school dances...that should give you an idea the realm the shifters live in. You'll love how much you can crank the ULF for music...you won't be able to stay in the same room without fear.

Yes I did many hours of reading before I made my decision, first started looking at pa subs but still need some low end for the movies.
I listen at over 100db sustained with Paradigm Studio 100 v5s so the shifter should really add to the experience.
asoofi1 and lbrown105 like this.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I did many hours of reading before I made my decision, first started looking at pa subs but still need some low end for the movies.
I listen at over 100db sustained with Paradigm Studio 100 v5s so the shifter should really add to the experience.

Great, looking forward to see pics and hear your impressions once the shifter arrives...the suspense of waiting is exciting as hearing it for the first time.
Freakquency likes this.

current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For an OS LFU, with the mouth facing forward toward an AT screen, how far away from the screen/velvet should the mouth be? Can it be right next to it? Would you see movement with it that close?

Thanks...Chad
Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff View Post
For an OS LFU, with the mouth facing forward toward an AT screen, how far away from the screen/velvet should the mouth be? Can it be right next to it? Would you see movement with it that close?

Thanks...Chad

It won't move the screen like you might think. Is the screen height going to be reaching down to floor level?...mouth is about 22" in height and may clear your screen. Is it a large stage where you'll have about 8-12" of clearance behind the sub?...the amp and cables will be back there if you go with the mouth facing seats orientation....just trying to understand why you want/have to face mouth fwd.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It won't move the screen like you might think. Is the screen height going to be reaching down to floor level?...mouth is about 22" in height and may clear your screen. Is it a large stage where you'll have about 8-12" of clearance behind the sub?...the amp and cables will be back there if you go with the mouth facing seats orientation....just trying to understand why you want/have to face mouth fwd.
The theater will be limited by width as the LCR's I ended up getting are 30 in wide, so the only way to get 2 OS's in there would be to face them mouth towards screen.

The other option would be to get 3 Caps, two behind the screen and 1 in back.

I could also do 1 OS in front and 1 in back too, but I think the size of the OS sideways (32 in) would push my center channel off center.

Thanks for your reply,
Chad
Old 06-14-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuff View Post
The theater will be limited by width as the LCR's I ended up getting are 30 in wide, so the only way to get 2 OS's in there would be to face them mouth towards screen.

The other option would be to get 3 Caps, two behind the screen and 1 in back.

I could also do 1 OS in front and 1 in back too, but I think the size of the OS sideways (32 in) would push my center channel off center.

Thanks for your reply,
Chad
Gotcha.

If mouth faces forward and you have the LCR taking up rest of the space, do you have enough space to still reach behind to get to the sub's amp? The depth becomes about 32" inches...but it can be doable. Set the gain and just push into place...but if you need to adjust anything on the sub, the os is a stubborn beast who doesn't like to move.

I don't know how tall or at what height you want the LCR to sit, but you could use LF OS and set it below the left and right speakers and put the LR on top of the subs with padding or just make a shelf if making a false wall. Or lay the LFU on its side with mouth forward.

Do you have a diagram or picture of the space you can share? You could also draw up some simple objects in Sketchup for exact dimensions of the speakers, subs, and the room/placement area and move things around to see how it will look.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 PM

It's been a few weeks since I placed my order for my OS LFU , getting closer , can't wait!
I've had some time to think about my theater room and have decided to go about 13x20 ish with an a t screen from Seymour AV. I went the diy route with some Center Stage XD, since the screen is acoustically trasnparent I can space the speakers a lot easier and have a bigger screen. The screen will be 120" wide. It will be nice to also get rid of the horizontal center channel, something just doesn't sound right to me when they are horizontal.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's been a few weeks since I placed my order for my OS LFU , getting closer , can't wait!
I've had some time to think about my theater room and have decided to go about 13x20 ish with an a t screen from Seymour AV. I went the diy route with some Center Stage XD, since the screen is acoustically trasnparent I can space the speakers a lot easier and have a bigger screen. The screen will be 120" wide. It will be nice to also get rid of the horizontal center channel, something just doesn't sound right to me when they are horizontal.
You posted at the right time...since you're getting one LFU...and I had a relevant experience. Last night I demo'd the dual shifters for a visitor...and it was fun. Afterwards, I went to take off the wires off the shifters to use on some trial subs, and I found out one of the shifters hadn't even been plugged in. Then I recalled I was making some gain adjustments a couple of weeks ago and had to remove the cable to grip the gain...and I forgot to plug the RCA back into the second os...

Even with one shifter going, I was in a non-MLP seat and I was thinking...oh, cool...there's that smoothing benefit....and the entire time...it was just a lone OS LFU rocking my world...more specifically, the John Wick club scene world

Btw, save some money...go with the Elite AcousticPro screen from Amazon.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You posted at the right time...since you're getting one LFU...and I had a relevant experience. Last night I demo'd the dual shifters for a visitor...and it was fun. Afterwards, I went to take off the wires off the shifters to use on some trial subs, and I found out one of the shifters hadn't even been plugged in. Then I recalled I was making some gain adjustments a couple of weeks ago and had to remove the cable to grip the gain...and I forgot to plug the RCA back into the second os...

Even with one shifter going, I was in a non-MLP seat and I was thinking...oh, cool...there's that smoothing benefit....and the entire time...it was just a lone OS LFU rocking my world...more specifically, the John Wick club scene world

Btw, save some money...go with the Elite AcousticPro screen from Amazon.
The fact that one could fool you , definitely supports the reputation the LFU has.

I went local for the screen material since Seymour AV is only a half hour from my business , nothing like talking in person to someone who is as dedicated to their business as you are to your own. I was stoked when I found out they were so close to me, Jon answered a lot of technical questions with ease, great people there!

Tags
Jtr