Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #1591 of 1601 Old 02-04-2016, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post
I just sent this e-mail to Jeff along with this sketch. Thoughts?

Jeff, is there any reason the OS LFU cannot be used upright but upside down so that the horn mouth is at the top? The finished storage space behind my screen wall would allow me to cut out a 130" wide by 40" tall opening in the drywall/plywood and to place the mains and the subs behind the screen. Only 40" (more like 40.5") can be cut out because the floor of the storage room is 12" lower than the floor of the theater, and the storage room ceiling is only 69", and the wall under the screen from the theater side is 17" up from the floor of the theater, so that allows me a 40" height of a "window" through which I can push sound through an acoustically transparent screen.

If the OS LFU can be used upside down with the mouth on top, then I could raise the sub up a minimum of 7" from the floor of the storage room which would put the mouth opening beginning right at the bottom of the AT screen. See attached sketch for reference. So from the perspective of the theater room with the screen removed, I would see Left-Sub-Center-Sub-Right, and would see exactly the height of the 212HTRs and then just the mouth of the LFU (with a ~14" gap above to the ceiling if 7" from floor of storage). Of course, I can make the distance the sub is raised up from the floor of storage more than 7" (to 14" from storage room floor) so that the horn mouth opening is centered in the 40" opening or I could raise it up 21" so that the horn opening is almost flush with the ceiling of the storage room. Thoughts?

Sounds like a good solution to me. I believe the amp is on the "bottom" end so you will need to address that but having the horn exit up off of the floor might actually be an advantage. I like having my 15" sub drivers well up off of the floor in fact, I think that is a contributor to my good measured and sounding bass response. This configuration will cause your screen to respond to the bass waves but that's gonna happen regardless of the position of the horn exit. It's just part of owning what is arguably one of the most powerful commercial subwoofers in the world.

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1601 Old 02-04-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I ran one of mine upside down for awhile with no issues. Not as much gain as having it next to the floor, but it is an OS you don't need gain
post #1593 of 1601 Old 02-04-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Sounds like a good solution to me. I believe the amp is on the "bottom" end so you will need to address that but having the horn exit up off of the floor might actually be an advantage. I like having my 15" sub drivers well up off of the floor in fact, I think that is a contributor to my good measured and sounding bass response. This configuration will cause your screen to respond to the bass waves but that's gonna happen regardless of the position of the horn exit. It's just part of owning what is arguably one of the most powerful commercial subwoofers in the world.

Agreed, in most rooms having the driver higher gets you relatively close to the quarter point between the floor and ceiling.
post #1594 of 1601 Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Jeff gave his blessing on the flip. I'm going to a attempt to do it myself tonight which will be close to the actual position vertically of the horn mouth just on the theater side of the wall and not the storage side. I haven't been regularly hitting the gym for about 6 months, but between moving these subs around and carrying a toddler and an infant in a car seat, who needs the gym?
post #1595 of 1601 Old 02-04-2016, 10:40 PM

Flipped them and moved them around to at least 10 positions. Started with them 17" from the edges of the screen and an inch away. Huge null. Moved them out some, still huge null but better, probably due to reflections from front wall? I moved them to the closest possible orientation with 17" in between them (as in the 212HTR would go vertically between) and that improved response. I ended up with them pushed 50" out from the front wall and ended up with decent (compared to what I've been seeing) response on REW. I moved mains in place and am listening now, and this is definitely the most tactile they have been.

I'm wondering if my moving them out so far from the wall, which improves/evens out response will translate when I move them into the proposed spot just behind the screen wall into storage room firing into theater. The room is over 10 feet deep there, and I can really bass trap the hell out the area behind the subs/mains.

Last edited by PianoProdigy; 02-04-2016 at 10:46 PM.
post #1596 of 1601 Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

looking really good until you get to 40hz. Did you try corner loading one or two of them just to see? It really brings up the 45-20hz range in my room.
post #1597 of 1601 Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
looking really good until you get to 40hz. Did you try corner loading one or two of them just to see? It really brings up the 45-20hz range in my room.
I did not yet, but I'll try and report back.

I went ahead and started a new thread of my own about room treatment. If any JTR owners care to respond with feedback, of course, I'm all ears.

Help define the "ultimate" home theater acoustic treatment plan
post #1598 of 1601 Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
really close, right up to the baseboard. The one in the rear has straight wall and the two in front are back to back with a slant wall about 24" from each horn mouth. this pic may help
In the second second pics, are the mouth facing the wall?
Also it seems i get more mid-bass when i have my facing the wall.
post #1599 of 1601 Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

yes the duals are facing those angled walls so not a direct perpendicular but facing at an angle nonetheless. The rear OS opens parallel to the wall. My front OS closest to and opening towards the couch gvise me the biggest boost 60-100hz. The other front OS and the one in the rear of the room product big output below 40z @ the mlp.
post #1600 of 1601 Old Today, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I may just turn my shifters upside down just to see what difference can be heard/measured in my room....oh, but so heavy...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #1601 of 1601 Old Today, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I may just turn my shifters upside down just to see what difference can be heard/measured in my room....oh, but so heavy...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
post some measurements too if possible. How far do you sit from you OS's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jtr