Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 200Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Anyone know if I an use my Orbit Shifter's built in amp to power another slave subwoofer? I noticed that it has an 'out'. Not sure if it's a powered out or just a signal out.
coolgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Anyone know if I an use my Orbit Shifter's built in amp to power another slave subwoofer? I noticed that it has an 'out'. Not sure if it's a powered out or just a signal out.

You can't hook up additional subwoofers to it. The driver and amplifier have been very carefully optimized to each other.
Jeff Permanian is online now  
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
You can't hook up additional subwoofers to it. The driver and amplifier have been very carefully optimized to each other.
Thanks Jeff. Noted! And makes sense.
coolgeek is offline  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Davecraze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I purchased two OS LFs from a fellow forum member a few months ago. I have not yet even hooked them up as my room (dedicated 3000 cubic feet - 100% movies - subs will be near field co-located) is still being constructed. I doubt that I will even run them more than 20% of their ability as my theater shares a wall with my kitchen and we also have young kids.

I have been giving the matter some thought and maybe I should trade output for extension and just go with one JTR S2. Has anyone gone from OS to an S2 and, if so, what was your opinion of the change? Smart move? Lateral move so not worth it? Anything else?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
Davecraze is online now  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
I purchased two OS LFs from a fellow forum member a few months ago. I have not yet even hooked them up as my room (dedicated 3000 cubic feet - 100% movies - subs will be near field co-located) is still being constructed. I doubt that I will even run them more than 20% of their ability as my theater shares a wall with my kitchen and we also have young kids.

I have been giving the matter some thought and maybe I should trade output for extension and just go with one JTR S2. Has anyone gone from OS to an S2 and, if so, what was your opinion of the change? Smart move? Lateral move so not worth it? Anything else?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
Just wait until you fire those things up for the first time...
lukeamdman is offline  
Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Orbit Shifter or Cap S2 demo NJ

I would like to know if there was anybody local to me that would be willing to let me demo an Orbit Shifter. Duals would be nice but I'm not pushing my luck. The captivator S2 is also on short list. I think I have my mind made up on the orbit shifter but If the Cap S2 did for me I would love to have that low end. I am in Central NJ Belmar to be exact. I work in Philadelphia. Wouldn't mind traveling to NY or eastern PA. Thanks
David Varner is offline  
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Another forum member gave me an awsome demo of dual S2's they were impressive but ultimatly i couldnt pass up the OS LFU. There's just something about owning one of if not the most powerful sub money can buy. I am a basshead to the core. Question is when will be ordering the second one?
Jeff Permanian and DotJun like this.
David Varner is offline  
Old 08-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Totallyconfused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talking Jeff Permanian

Jeff is a prince, an absolute Prince, I bought an OS from a forum member who bought it from another forum member who bought it from JTR. Right after I hooked up the OS the Prot red light began flashing 4 times then repeating the 4 blink series. I called Speaker Power to find out what the 4 flashes meant and was told I would have to send it in. I called JTR and Jeff picked up the phone, what a treat, seriously, how often do you call the factory and the Man picks up the phone. Jeff said send it to SP, I did, SP fixed it and JTR picked up the tab, including return shipping to me, very impressed. Oh, and by the way, the OS is awesome, very impressed. Life is good with really good base.
chucky7, carp, dwaleke and 3 others like this.
Totallyconfused is online now  
Old 10-14-2016, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NoVA
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Curious, what crossover do you guys have your OS at? And with what speaker.
asoofi1 is offline  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyconfused View Post
Jeff is a prince, an absolute Prince, I bought an OS from a forum member who bought it from another forum member who bought it from JTR. Right after I hooked up the OS the Prot red light began flashing 4 times then repeating the 4 blink series. I called Speaker Power to find out what the 4 flashes meant and was told I would have to send it in. I called JTR and Jeff picked up the phone, what a treat, seriously, how often do you call the factory and the Man picks up the phone. Jeff said send it to SP, I did, SP fixed it and JTR picked up the tab, including return shipping to me, very impressed. Oh, and by the way, the OS is awesome, very impressed. Life is good with really good base.

I just want to share that my amp started to flash like this recently and Brian at speakerpower told me to send it in for repair. Mind you I've had my OS for three years now. They sent the amp back to me within two weeks and didn't even charge me for the repair or the shipping!

Just an FYI, the amp itself is rock solid. The issue is the dirty power that my power company sends me during peak AC season.
DotJun is online now  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Member
 
DaveyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Curious, what crossover do you guys have your OS at? And with what speaker.
Currently I have my OS LFU crossed over at 80 Hz going to 2 Volt 10-LX's in my bedroom (temporary since it won't fit in my current media room). I will eventually have it/them crossed over to JTR 210's. Not sure where I will cross them over when it's all together. I'm also curious to hear where other people with capable LCR's set their crossovers--perhaps different for music/movies/mood.
asoofi1 likes this.
DaveyK is online now  
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Curious, what crossover do you guys have your OS at? And with what speaker.


When placed in the front of the room I was crossing as high as 120, but since moving them to nearfield duty behind the couch, I dropped it to 80.

The reason for the 120 cross is because I was getting a lot more impact in the upper bass region this way. Mind you, my mains are 15" drivers and it still did not have the impact the OS did.
asoofi1 likes this.
DotJun is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Jtr
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off