Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 211Likes
post #1621 of 1653 Unread 04-01-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Anyone know if I an use my Orbit Shifter's built in amp to power another slave subwoofer? I noticed that it has an 'out'. Not sure if it's a powered out or just a signal out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1653 Unread 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Anyone know if I an use my Orbit Shifter's built in amp to power another slave subwoofer? I noticed that it has an 'out'. Not sure if it's a powered out or just a signal out.

You can't hook up additional subwoofers to it. The driver and amplifier have been very carefully optimized to each other.
post #1623 of 1653 Unread 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
You can't hook up additional subwoofers to it. The driver and amplifier have been very carefully optimized to each other.
Thanks Jeff. Noted! And makes sense.

post #1624 of 1653 Unread 04-09-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I purchased two OS LFs from a fellow forum member a few months ago. I have not yet even hooked them up as my room (dedicated 3000 cubic feet - 100% movies - subs will be near field co-located) is still being constructed. I doubt that I will even run them more than 20% of their ability as my theater shares a wall with my kitchen and we also have young kids.

I have been giving the matter some thought and maybe I should trade output for extension and just go with one JTR S2. Has anyone gone from OS to an S2 and, if so, what was your opinion of the change? Smart move? Lateral move so not worth it? Anything else?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
post #1625 of 1653 Unread 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
I purchased two OS LFs from a fellow forum member a few months ago. I have not yet even hooked them up as my room (dedicated 3000 cubic feet - 100% movies - subs will be near field co-located) is still being constructed. I doubt that I will even run them more than 20% of their ability as my theater shares a wall with my kitchen and we also have young kids.

I have been giving the matter some thought and maybe I should trade output for extension and just go with one JTR S2. Has anyone gone from OS to an S2 and, if so, what was your opinion of the change? Smart move? Lateral move so not worth it? Anything else?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
Just wait until you fire those things up for the first time...
post #1626 of 1653 Unread 04-10-2016, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Orbit Shifter or Cap S2 demo NJ

I would like to know if there was anybody local to me that would be willing to let me demo an Orbit Shifter. Duals would be nice but I'm not pushing my luck. The captivator S2 is also on short list. I think I have my mind made up on the orbit shifter but If the Cap S2 did for me I would love to have that low end. I am in Central NJ Belmar to be exact. I work in Philadelphia. Wouldn't mind traveling to NY or eastern PA. Thanks
post #1627 of 1653 Unread 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Another forum member gave me an awsome demo of dual S2's they were impressive but ultimatly i couldnt pass up the OS LFU. There's just something about owning one of if not the most powerful sub money can buy. I am a basshead to the core. Question is when will be ordering the second one?
Jeff Permanian and DotJun like this.
post #1628 of 1653 Unread 08-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Talking Jeff Permanian

Jeff is a prince, an absolute Prince, I bought an OS from a forum member who bought it from another forum member who bought it from JTR. Right after I hooked up the OS the Prot red light began flashing 4 times then repeating the 4 blink series. I called Speaker Power to find out what the 4 flashes meant and was told I would have to send it in. I called JTR and Jeff picked up the phone, what a treat, seriously, how often do you call the factory and the Man picks up the phone. Jeff said send it to SP, I did, SP fixed it and JTR picked up the tab, including return shipping to me, very impressed. Oh, and by the way, the OS is awesome, very impressed. Life is good with really good base.
chucky7, carp, dwaleke and 3 others like this.
post #1629 of 1653 Unread 10-14-2016, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Curious, what crossover do you guys have your OS at? And with what speaker.
post #1630 of 1653 Unread 10-14-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyconfused View Post
Jeff is a prince, an absolute Prince, I bought an OS from a forum member who bought it from another forum member who bought it from JTR. Right after I hooked up the OS the Prot red light began flashing 4 times then repeating the 4 blink series. I called Speaker Power to find out what the 4 flashes meant and was told I would have to send it in. I called JTR and Jeff picked up the phone, what a treat, seriously, how often do you call the factory and the Man picks up the phone. Jeff said send it to SP, I did, SP fixed it and JTR picked up the tab, including return shipping to me, very impressed. Oh, and by the way, the OS is awesome, very impressed. Life is good with really good base.

I just want to share that my amp started to flash like this recently and Brian at speakerpower told me to send it in for repair. Mind you I've had my OS for three years now. They sent the amp back to me within two weeks and didn't even charge me for the repair or the shipping!

Just an FYI, the amp itself is rock solid. The issue is the dirty power that my power company sends me during peak AC season.
post #1631 of 1653 Unread 10-15-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Currently I have my OS LFU crossed over at 80 Hz going to 2 Volt 10-LX's in my bedroom (temporary since it won't fit in my current media room). I will eventually have it/them crossed over to JTR 210's. Not sure where I will cross them over when it's all together. I'm also curious to hear where other people with capable LCR's set their crossovers--perhaps different for music/movies/mood.
asoofi1 likes this.
post #1632 of 1653 Unread 10-21-2016, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

When placed in the front of the room I was crossing as high as 120, but since moving them to nearfield duty behind the couch, I dropped it to 80.

The reason for the 120 cross is because I was getting a lot more impact in the upper bass region this way. Mind you, my mains are 15" drivers and it still did not have the impact the OS did.
asoofi1 likes this.
post #1633 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm also considering purchasing some Orbital Shifters! The setup I am running is in my sig. The only issue I have is their size but I have been told by many people that since I am running all horn loaded speakers I should really stick with horn loaded subs. If not I would consider the Captivator S2 because it would save me a little space. What are your thoughts?

Mains Klipsch KPT-JUBILEE/535-B
Center Klipsch La Scala
Subwoofer Klipsch R-115SW X 2 (2 Orbital Shifters coming soon)
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
Amp Emotiva XPA Gen3 7 channel TV LG C6 65 inch
post #1634 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtrucking View Post
I'm also considering purchasing some Orbital Shifters! The setup I am running is in my sig. The only issue I have is their size but I have been told by many people that since I am running all horn loaded speakers I should really stick with horn loaded subs. If not I would consider the Captivator S2 because it would save me a little space. What are your thoughts?
Well since my name is on this Thread , I had 2 OS's up front under my 138" AT screen. I had the ceiling height that allowed this placement and I used the lesser dimension (22.5") of the OS as the vertical dimension. That made them very deep (36") but I used them as speaker stands for my mains. I think they are the best sounding most impactful subs I have heard.

The only reason I don't still have them is that I went with 3 JTR 215RT's as LCR and that gave me six very potent 15" subs drivers across the front. The 215RT's can't equal the bass output of the OS's and I was OK with that as they were on a suspended 2nd story floor and I was concerned about the structural integrity of my house (seriously).

Exposed:

A bit more stealth:

So, if you want to never feel the need for more subwoofage ... the OS's are just the ticket.
chucky7 and rbtrucking like this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 01-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.
post #1635 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Well since my name is on this Thread , I had 2 OS's up front under my 138" AT screen. I had the ceiling height that allowed this placement and I used the lesser dimension (22.5") of the OS as the vertical dimension. That made them very deep (36") but I used them as speaker stands for my mains. I think they are the best sounding most impactful subs I have heard.

The only reason I don't still have them is that I went with 3 JTR 215RT's as LCR and that gave me six very potent 15" subs drivers across the front. The 215RT's can't equal the bass output of the OS's and I was OK with that as they were on a suspended 2nd story floor and I was concerned about the structural integrity of my house (seriously).

Exposed:

A bit more stealth:

So, if you want to never feel the need for more subwoofage ... the OS's are just the ticket.
Well I'm glad I inquired because I was also wondering if you can lay them down on their side which now I see that you can. It looks like you have the horns facing the rear? Or maybe I just can't see them because of the lighting. Either way damn those things are absolutely huge! I think I'm gonna take the plunge! Idk how I will fit them but I'll find a way!

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1636 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I'm glad I inquired because I was also wondering if you can lay them down on their side which now I see that you can. It looks like you have the horns facing the rear? Or maybe I just can't see them because of the lighting. Either way damn those things are absolutely huge! I think I'm gonna take the plunge! Idk how I will fit them but I'll find a way!
Yeah, they are a little large . Mine were the LF's, not the LFU's and the horn exits were on the end fireing into the front room corners. With the LFU, you could have the horn exits in the front. The horn exit is big so no port turbulence but there might be a slight breeze.

Opinions are not facts.
post #1637 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they are a little large . Mine were the LF's, not the LFU's and the horn exits were on the end fireing into the front room corners. With the LFU, you could have the horn exits in the front. The horn exit is big so no port turbulence but there might be a slight breeze.
I see! Well I just ordered 2 Orbital Shifter LFU's! Can't wait! Unfortunately he said he had just sold out of the last pair he had so it's gonna take about a month but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait! It's funny, before finding out about JTR I was actually going to go with SVS but was talked out of it by several people who recommended JTR. The minute I saw what those Orbital Shifters looked like I was sold! They are Pure badass!
cannga likes this.

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1638 of 1653 Unread 01-23-2017, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see! Well I just ordered 2 Orbital Shifter LFU's! Can't wait! Unfortunately he said he had just sold out of the last pair he had so it's gonna take about a month but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait!
Cool, can't wait to hear your impressions.

BTW, I sold mine to a friend who has Wilson ($$$$$) speakers so they appeal to more than just SPL drag racers.
rbtrucking likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
post #1639 of 1653 Unread 02-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I see! Well I just ordered 2 Orbital Shifter LFU's! Can't wait! Unfortunately he said he had just sold out of the last pair he had so it's gonna take about a month but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait! It's funny, before finding out about JTR I was actually going to go with SVS but was talked out of it by several people who recommended JTR. The minute I saw what those Orbital Shifters looked like I was sold! They are Pure badass!
Any luck getting those Orbit Shifters in curious to hear you impressions.

To respond to a couple other posters I played with my crossover a bit and decided 80hz sounded the best to me. I'm running DIY Soundgroup Fusion 15's for LCR. Which I am thoroughly impressed by.
post #1640 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
Any luck getting those Orbit Shifters in curious to hear you impressions.

To respond to a couple other posters I played with my crossover a bit and decided 80hz sounded the best to me. I'm running DIY Soundgroup Fusion 15's for LCR. Which I am thoroughly impressed by.
Nope, when I ordered he didn't have any in stock so he said I was looking at about a month wait time, that was roughly 2 maybe 2 and a half weeks ago. Last I spoke with him he said he was getting the cabinets in this week so I'm guessing I should have them probably 2 weeks from now but I will definitely post impressions. I am also a member of the Klipsch community forum and I can tell you they say those things are absolutely phenomenal, that's actually where I found out about them.
cannga likes this.

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1641 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Nope, when I ordered he didn't have any in stock so he said I was looking at about a month wait time, that was roughly 2 maybe 2 and a half weeks ago. Last I spoke with him he said he was getting the cabinets in this week so I'm guessing I should have them probably 2 weeks from now but I will definitely post impressions. I am also a member of the Klipsch community forum and I can tell you they say those things are absolutely phenomenal, that's actually where I found out about them.
I actually feel we are "lucky" to have these small ID companies such as JTR that make all-out high quality subwoofers like the Orbit Shifter. These no-compromise products don't make enough money for the big guns to "bother" with.
rbtrucking likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: clarity and richness, stunning imaging, off-the-chart dynamics.
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Vinyl and tube preamp = completion of a fantastic audio journey.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #1642 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I actually feel we are "lucky" to have these small ID companies such as JTR that make all-out high quality subwoofers like the Orbit Shifter. These no-compromise products don't make enough money for the big guns to "bother" with.
I agree 100% and to think I was gonna get an SVS before I learned about JTR! I'm sure that new SVS 16 that was just announced is going to be good but something tells me it's not touching the orbital shifter.

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1643 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM

I got lucky and got mine about 2 weeks after I ordered then blew it up and had to wait a month for a new amplifier and driver. Longest month of my life. Pretty sure it was just the driver but Jeff sent a new amplifier as well.
post #1644 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
I agree 100% and to think I was gonna get an SVS before I learned about JTR! I'm sure that new SVS 16 that was just announced is going to be good but something tells me it's not touching the orbital shifter.

That "something" would be right. The PB16 Ultra is not even in the same universe as an Orbit Shifter LFU. One of chucky7's charts for the PB numbers from Audioholics and the numbers for the OSLFU from Data-Bass.

OSLFU:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OSLFU vs PB16.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1968089  
rbtrucking likes this.
post #1645 of 1653 Unread 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I got lucky and got mine about 2 weeks after I ordered then blew it up and had to wait a month for a new amplifier and driver. Longest month of my life. Pretty sure it was just the driver but Jeff sent a new amplifier as well.
Damn how'd you blow it up? Must of really been pushing that thing hard!

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1646 of 1653 Unread 02-15-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:

That's an understatement.

From his thread about it:

Quote:
Which is what the song I was playing contains long 4-5 second bass notes and a long sweep at 10hz which is when the driver gave up. I was also not able to see the clip lights which could have been on solid for all I know.
Quote:
You mean how did my whole basement smell even this morning like burnt enamel the voice coil wires were definitely black and hanging off.

Last edited by zeus33; 02-15-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #1647 of 1653 Unread 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember getting my dual OS's in 2010. Jeff delivered them and we had a GTG (discussed at the beginning of this thread). We (mostly Jeff ) pushed them beyond hard in those two days and for a guy like me who was never into car audio, feeling 130db bass in my HT was really something. I think driver/amp failures can happen but Jeff will make it right in the unlikely event it does.
rbtrucking likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
post #1648 of 1653 Unread 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I remember getting my dual OS's in 2010. Jeff delivered them and we had a GTG (discussed at the beginning of this thread). We (mostly Jeff ) pushed them beyond hard in those two days and for a guy like me who was never into car audio, feeling 130db bass in my HT was really something. I think driver/amp failures can happen but Jeff will make it right in the unlikely event it does.
Lol ya I'm putting them in a 21x17 room I think my ears would bleed before I even got near there potential. I saw a video on youtube where a guy had a couple of them in a full sized gym and people were saying there ears were popping because how loud they were.

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1649 of 1653 Unread 02-16-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, Jeff delivered em? That's pretty cool. You live really close to him or something, how'd that work out?

Center Klipsch La Scala
Rears Klipsch Chorus I
AVP Emotiva XMC-1
post #1650 of 1653 Unread 02-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
In hind sight I think it was something faulty according to Jeff the Orbit Shifter LFU is designed not to be able be over driven so that should not have happened. In all fairness I was testing it's limits as well so who really knows. I just know Jeff took care of it and I am back in action and have had no issues since. I don't wish the job of changing that driver on anyone. I'm a big guy and that driver is monstrous. Took me the better part of a day and busted knuckle to get in there and screw holes lined up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jtr