Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1201 Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
allredp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockies
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

They are all that. I thought my dual Captivators and dual Danley TH-SPUDS was the ultimate bass experience but the OS's take it to another level.

I watched Kick Ass last night and the OS's definitely Kicked Ass. Demo quality DTS HD/MA 7.1 audio and a fun rental.

Hey RMK - just trying to remember if you are also a music guy. How do the OS's hang with music? That's one area that has blown my mind with Seaton's sealed SubM. Thanks...

creative>energy

allredp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1201 Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Hey RMK - just trying to remember if you are also a music guy. How do the OS's hang with music? That's one area that has blown my mind with Seaton's sealed SubM. Thanks...

They are as good as I have heard for both HT and music. The Orbit Shifter renders the most realistic kick drum I have ever heard. Of course, your Submersive excels in both as well.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #183 of 1201 Old 08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
allredp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockies
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

They are as good as I have heard for both HT and music. The Orbit Shifter renders the most realistic kick drum I have ever heard. Of course, your Submersive excels in both as well.

Thanks RMK - I do love my SubMersive - but am thrilled you've found your ultimate setup! Sometime I'd like to get out your way and enjoy your amazing system.

At some point I'm thinking I'd like to ditch my name-brand L/C/R and get Seaton or JTR active speakers. That's some $$, however, and I know the market for mine is too low currently. One day...

Enjoy in the meantime and thanks for sharing.

creative>energy

allredp is offline  
post #184 of 1201 Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Thanks and if you ever get to Northern California let me know and we'll let the OS's give you a pummeling.

I'm sure there are better sounding systems out there (Fugueness's all Seaton system sounds amazing) but I am very happy with the audio and video now. For the first time in years I have no desire to upgrade anything. Guess it's time to sit back and enjoy the ride.




Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Thanks RMK - I do love my SubMersive - but am thrilled you've found your ultimate setup! Sometime I'd like to get out your way and enjoy your amazing system.

At some point I'm thinking I'd like to ditch my name-brand L/C/R and get Seaton or JTR active speakers. That's some $$, however, and I know the market for mine is too low currently. One day...

Enjoy in the meantime and thanks for sharing.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #185 of 1201 Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
allredp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockies
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Thanks,

I'm sure there are better sounding systems out there (Fugueness's all Seaton system sounds amazing) but I am very happy with the audio and video now. For the first time in years, I have no desire to upgrade anything. Guess it's time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Well-earned, I'd say! It has been fun following along your odyssey. Thanks for the insights and advice along the way.

Fun to hear Fugueness's system rocks - I would have guessed with that outfit! I'm sure yours is insane as well. I'd love to hear/feel what those OS's put out! Enjoy...

creative>energy

allredp is offline  
post #186 of 1201 Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has the stack of four orbit shifters been shipped or are they still undergoing testing?
bodhisafa is offline  
post #187 of 1201 Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Finishing up final tweaks to the amplifier's DSP. All Orbit Shifters should ship tomorrow. I'll email everyone tracking numbers. Thanks.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #188 of 1201 Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got the response to +/-1db from 25-110hz outdoors, half space.

Orbit Shifters are ready to ship and a truck is scheduled to pick them up.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #189 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
and this is 100dB +/-1 from 25-110Hz outdoor...
and from the graph, that's still about 90dB at 12Hz??
Man...if my room can just handle the size...
Fantastic!! Jeff.. now please make a smaller version so more of us can buy more...
fight4yu is offline  
post #190 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

and this is 100dB +/-1 from 25-110Hz outdoor...
and from the graph, that's still about 90dB at 12Hz??
Man...if my room can just handle the size...
Fantastic!! Jeff.. now please make a smaller version so more of us can buy more...

If you want smaller go with the Growler Duo.

Nice job, Jeff. I love the efficiency of these horn loaded subs.
Tom Bley is offline  
post #191 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

If you want smaller go with the Growler Duo.

Nice job, Jeff. I love the efficiency of these horn loaded subs.

Yeah, almost forget about the Growler Duo
fight4yu is offline  
post #192 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Jeff, any chance you post some graph for the growler Duo for us to compare?
fight4yu is offline  
post #193 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Jeff, any chance you post some graph for the growler Duo for us to compare?

In the low tune mode.
Tom Bley is offline  
post #194 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jeff, thanks for the pictures and graph.

You mention on top of the graph the measurement was taken outdoors, so in a room those numbers would be higher to a certain extend keeping in mind room interaction, is this correct?

I see you usually post early in the morning, thank you for all your hard work.
bodhisafa is offline  
post #195 of 1201 Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
vraxoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

You mention on top of the graph the measurement was taken outdoors, so in a room those numbers would be higher to a certain extend keeping in mind room interaction, is this correct?

Exactly. With room lift, the response should essentially be flat to 20Hz with very significant output down to around the 10Hz range. As stated on the first page:

Quote:


Output Capablility: (calculated from 4000w, not 7200w peak)

133db average above 25hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

120db at 20hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

103db at 10hz, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter

145db average above 25hz, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

132db at 20hz, outdoors, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

115db at 10hz, outdoors, eighth space (corner loaded), 1 meter

In room numbers will be even higher than the eighth space (corner loaded) calculations.

vraxoin is offline  
post #196 of 1201 Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Monday, Monday, Monday.

So, the first of the Orbit Shifters will make it to their distinations monday.

hehehehehehehehe

I'll take some comparison measurements and post them next week.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #197 of 1201 Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like in RMK's room, that room gain started around 22hz. This will vary from room to room depending on volume, dimensions, structure and seal.

RMK's room (unknown level)-

Outdoors-
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #198 of 1201 Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jeff,

When you have some time this weekend could you post some general guidelines on how to place these in a room.

Mouth facing wall? How Far?
Mout facing listening position?
Placing in a corner?

You know some do's and donts
bodhisafa is offline  
post #199 of 1201 Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Looks like in RMK's room, that room gain started around 22hz. This will vary from room to room depending on volume, dimensions, structure and seal.

RMK's room (unknown level)-

Outdoors-

RMK room response is pretty flat all the way down to 10Hz, but Jeff graph shows the slope at around 18Hz.. Is this all the room dependencies that makes RMK graph so flat to 10Hz? Can I expect mine to behave like this?
fight4yu is offline  
post #200 of 1201 Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are there any extra cables or adapters needed to connect the orbit shifter to the an a/v receiver
bodhisafa is offline  
post #201 of 1201 Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
vraxoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Are there any extra cables or adapters needed to connect the orbit shifter to the an a/v receiver

Unless your receiver has a balanced XLR subwoofer out, which is doubtful, I'd get something like THIS for a nice clean connection.
vraxoin is offline  
post #202 of 1201 Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Newbie
 
kmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chesterfield, NJ 08515
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay it is Monday and no OS spoke with ups and they had wrong phone number so could not contact me.

Wife took they day off, now she is mad guess few more days of OS blues

K. Menon
kmenon is offline  
post #203 of 1201 Old 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Member
 
haskin1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jaoquin Valley
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine should be here Wed. My wife has apt in the morning then shoud be home until i get there.
haskin1234 is offline  
post #204 of 1201 Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well.....

Good news....my Orbit Shifter came in today

Bad news....It just came with a power cord

I need a XLR male to RCA male cable as mentioned above^^^^^correct?

Its huge, and weighs as much as a fat hyena!

Pisctures and review coming as soon as everything is dialed in

Seriously it looks sick, thanks Jeff
bodhisafa is offline  
post #205 of 1201 Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
vraxoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

I need a XLR male to RCA male cable as mentioned above^^^^^correct?

That's it. Choose your length and order NOW! Tell them it's urgent and to beam it to you.
vraxoin is offline  
post #206 of 1201 Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Member
 
haskin1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jaoquin Valley
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, UPS couldn't deliver my OS tomorrow...... so they are delivering it today....
Just sitting here waiting for the delivery truck to pull up. I have everything I need to here some OS bass tonight.
haskin1234 is offline  
post #207 of 1201 Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
vraxoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskin1234 View Post

Well, UPS couldn't deliver my OS tomorrow...... so they are delivering it today....
Just sitting here waiting for the delivery truck to pull up. I have everything I need to here some OS bass tonight.

Bucket of drywall patching compound?
vraxoin is offline  
post #208 of 1201 Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
allredp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockies
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskin1234 View Post

Well, UPS couldn't deliver my OS tomorrow...... so they are delivering it today....
Just sitting here waiting for the delivery truck to pull up. I have everything I need to here some OS bass tonight.

How close are you to the fault?!?!

Looking forward to your report! Enjoy...

creative>energy

allredp is offline  
post #209 of 1201 Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Member
 
haskin1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jaoquin Valley
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, still haven't found the right place for it yet.......is it big? YES is it huge? YES YES!! How does it sound? Awesome, still allot of tweaking and moving to do. It is so big that it wouldn't fit in the place I had hoped to put it. How does it compare to the Danley spuds? well, I have no room treatments yet but I can bottom out the Spuds on Flight of The Phoenix where the plane spins and the OS just keeps on cruising along. Major tweaking to do on Thursday and I am sorry to say I have no equipment to do graphs to post for you.
haskin1234 is offline  
post #210 of 1201 Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Duffinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskin1234 View Post

OK, still haven't found the right place for it yet.......is it big? YES is it huge? YES YES!! How does it sound? Awesome, still allot of tweaking and moving to do. It is so big that it wouldn't fit in the place I had hoped to put it. How does it compare to the Danley spuds? well, I have no room treatments yet but I can bottom out the Spuds on Flight of The Phoenix where the plane spins and the OS just keeps on cruising along. Major tweaking to do on Thursday and I am sorry to say I have no equipment to do graphs to post for you.

We need photos.
Duffinator is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jtr

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off