Klipsch Sub 10 Not Working - Did I connect it correctly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm pretty new to home audio/theater and I just put together a relatively simple system with an Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver and a Klipsch Quintet setup (among other things). Everything works fine there.

However, I recently purchased a used Klipsch Sub 10 on eBay (from a reputable seller with a very high rating), and I can't seem to get it working.

Things I have tried:

Well, first of all, I configured the Onkyo receiver for my speaker setup and ensured that the woofer was set to "Yes." Then I plugged in the subwoofer and powered it up. I immediately got a blue light on the front.

1) I connected the RCA subwoofer pre connection on the back of my receiver to the Left LFE input on the subwoofer. I turned the gain all the way from minimum to maximum. No sound.

2) I tried toggling the auto/on switch several times. No sound.

3) I tried flipping the phase switch (shot in the dark). No sound.

4) I connected the RCA cable to the right input on the sub. Still no sound.

5) Thinking perhaps the sub out from the Onkyo wasn't working, I connected the output from one of my front speakers to the conventional speaker wire lugs on the back of the sub. Not a peep. Even with the gain maxed out.

6) I then used my cheesy old Aiwa stereo amp to try to drive the sub (just using the speaker outputs from this stereo). No sound.

7) I removed the amp from the sub, ensured the speakers were properly connected, and measured the DC resistance of the voice coil. 4.5 ohms. Seems fine to me.

So I DID use my DMM to measure the AC voltage coming out of my Onkyo receiver. Although I could get AC signals on my normal speaker connections, I couldn't read much of anything on the subwoofer output. Perhaps because the signal amplitude is really small since the sub requires its own amp? I don't know. It's hard to believe the sub out on a brand new receiver wouldn't work. I'm more suspicious of this used subwoofer.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post

So I'm pretty new to home audio/theater and I just put together a relatively simple system with an Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver and a Klipsch Quintet setup (among other things). Everything works fine there.

However, I recently purchased a used Klipsch Sub 10 on eBay (from a reputable seller with a very high rating), and I can't seem to get it working.

Things I have tried:

Well, first of all, I configured the Onkyo receiver for my speaker setup and ensured that the woofer was set to "Yes." Then I plugged in the subwoofer and powered it up. I immediately got a blue light on the front.

1) I connected the RCA subwoofer pre connection on the back of my receiver to the Left LFE input on the subwoofer. I turned the gain all the way from minimum to maximum. No sound.

2) I tried toggling the auto/on switch several times. No sound.

3) I tried flipping the phase switch (shot in the dark). No sound.

4) I connected the RCA cable to the right input on the sub. Still no sound.

5) Thinking perhaps the sub out from the Onkyo wasn't working, I connected the output from one of my front speakers to the conventional speaker wire lugs on the back of the sub. Not a peep. Even with the gain maxed out.

6) I then used my cheesy old Aiwa stereo amp to try to drive the sub (just using the speaker outputs from this stereo). No sound.

7) I removed the amp from the sub, ensured the speakers were properly connected, and measured the DC resistance of the voice coil. 4.5 ohms. Seems fine to me.

So I DID use my DMM to measure the AC voltage coming out of my Onkyo receiver. Although I could get AC signals on my normal speaker connections, I couldn't read much of anything on the subwoofer output. Perhaps because the signal amplitude is really small since the sub requires its own amp? I don't know. It's hard to believe the sub out on a brand new receiver wouldn't work. I'm more suspicious of this used subwoofer.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Here are a couple ways to test the sub. Connect a standard CD player or a device that has the standard red and white analogue audio outputs. Connect the red and white to the L&R in on the back of the sub amp. Make sure to turn the gain all the way down and then turn it up slowly. You could damage the sub if you have the gain up real high when the audio starts to play. I think you could also use an ipod for this test. Just use a 1/8 mini to RCA Y-splitter.If this works I would use a Y-splitter on your sub cable. The signal might be to weak just going into the left LFE in. Some Polk subs are like this. Another way to test the sub is to run your front mains full range. Connect the speaker wire from the receiver to the back of the high level in on the back of the sub amp. Then run the high level out to your mains. If you don't get results from these tests, there could be something wrong with the sub. If you have more questions just ask. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions. I connected my iPhone to he woofer using Y-splitter. With the gain close to maxed out, the only thing I can hear is some quiet, obviously unmusical, buzzing. It buzzes in time with the music so it clearly sees SOMETHING, but the amplifier seems dead.

I ran an RCA cable from my subwoofer pre out on my received to an extra speaker I have from an old stereo. If I turn the receiver volume all the way up, I can hear music come very faintly through the speaker. So I believe the subwoofer out on my receiver is working (I assume the sound is so faint because it's a low level signal that still requires amplification?)

Anyway, it seems like the woofer is DOA.