Help! My girlfriend has a Bose system!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 132 Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

quite frankly, she'd be perfectly happy with her little 32" LCD and no speakers but she let's me get what I want.

Mines the same way. I tell her what I want/am getting usually before and she knows just to let it be. If I sense an issue (maybe a handful of times in 21 years) then I'll back off and get it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Please post the link to this "fact". Amazing you thing a 3.75" driver can't do 80Hz yet documented 70Hz lows can be had with 4" drivers.

Not trying to fight or argue, just get you to understand that I indeed have this equipment and know what it is and isn't capable of. Yet you'd rather believe a paid writer that does not own, let alone actually use the speakers long term, that you recommend. Absolutely.

I'll believe a pro review over an owner testimonial any day of the week! If you don't understand the science behind spl and frequency response as relates to driver size then Google it, I'm not making this up. If you're happy with your setup then enjoy, same with whatever the OP picks. BTW, a 4" driver can't really do 70 hz either.....!
post #63 of 132 Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:

BTW, a 4" driver can't really do 70 hz either.....!

You're right. I guess MartinLogan is wrong. You know how they like to fudge the numbers.
Quote:

I'll believe a pro review over an owner testimonial any day of the week!

You're about the only one that would think something like that. You believe a guy who listened to a few songs rather than a time tested review from an actual owner! Funny guy you are! But you are right. I have my own agenda to push these speakers and talk poorly of others. I'm sorry.

*EDIT* I understand SPL well. For you to make claims, not able to back same with simple links, wanting me to do research on my own only means you have no idea what it is, you just are mad your suggestion was shot down. Since there are no links to back you, it would likely be best for you to not reply any longer with unsubstantiated claims as your reasoning.
post #64 of 132 Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:

You're right. I guess MartinLogan is wrong. You know how they like to fudge the numbers. You're about the only one that would think something like that. You believe a guy who listened to a few songs rather than a time tested review from an actual owner! Funny guy you are! But you are right. I have my own agenda to push these speakers and talk poorly of others. I'm sorry.

*EDIT* I understand SPL well. For you to make claims, not able to back same with simple links, wanting me to do research on my own only means you have no idea what it is, you just are mad your suggestion was shot down. Since there are no links to back you, it would likely be best for you to not reply any longer with unsubstantiated claims as your reasoning.

Which Martin are you referring to, the Motion 4? That has a listed frequency response as going to 70 hz, + or - 3db. If you ever saw the actual response curve you'd see (if they aren't lying!) a response that is actually down 6db at 70 hz, since a line is drawn through the center of the curve and then called + or - 3 db. The Motion 2 is even worse, with a 3.5 inch woofer they claim 110 hz, again probably 6db down. Look dude, I don't want to rain on your parade, but take it from me, 3.5 inch or 4 inch, these are MIDRANGES, not woofers. Your response will be crappy in the critical midbass region, or else your sub will be crossed too high and be easy to localize. Sorry guy, these are the facts. No links, live and learn buddy. If you ever get some actual measurements of your system you'll no doubt see the big-a$$ hole in your response, but by then you'll probably have moved on to better speakers. Later Gator.....
post #65 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I pretty much have top of the line speakers and won't be upgrading anytime soon as there isn't much higher I can go except in price. Now I never said the PE speakers will blow one away @ 80Hz, I said they can do 80Hz and that is where I have mine crossed and it sounds wonderful. Now for you to lay claim that Steve Guttenberg, the same writer you have disagreed with in the past and said he just writes blurbs, and who made the claim that the PE's are "more musical than PSB", well, that speaks volumes (no pun intended) itself. As I said, I have heard the speakers you recommended. If there is no other alternative then they will do. But there are ALOT better alternatives and as such you don't like someone disagreeing with you regardless of the reason, regardless if you "care" about the final outcome. You just want to think you are correct. We all know on this matter you are wrong, you don't post links to support your argument because there are no such links because it simply isn't true. Gotta love how now you know better than MartinLogan engineers. If all were true then you would be working for them instead of being on here arguing about 2 different types of speakers, neither of which you personally know anything about, with someone that does have the experience with both. But you'd rather listen to someone who listened to them for 20 minutes. Suddenly that person is the "pro" on this subject while the REAL pro is being ridiculed for factual, verifiable facts.

You are the one that needs to "relax" and learn something here...that you are not always correct and that Steve Guttenburg is a paid writer so it is in his best interest to write good things. He certainly wouldn't be paid or be consistantly published if all he wrote were bad things. Go ahead and continue with your all knowing blather, the rest know what to believe, and it isn't you.
post #66 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
Two things- one, arguing in thee threads is silly and, two, I have learned more from the people here in understanding sound systems and all that comes with it. Everyone is so willing to opine on all facets that I could not have made the good choices in speakers without getting everyone's thoughts.

I enjoy reading reviews but i never would hade been able to make educated choices off professional reviews.
post #67 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Uh, gentlemen. Not to point out the obvious but the original poster hasn't been here in over two days. You may have scared him off. Hell, who knows...maybe I helped.

Remember, when it comes to disagreements, there are two sides to every story with the truth being somewhere in the middle. There's no doubt the two of you could eat my lunch when it comes to the finer points of audio specs. Both of you feel strongly about your positions. All I want to do is point out that this is fast becoming a re-creation of Dr. Suess' "The Zax."

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #68 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Uh, gentlemen. Not to point out the obvious but the original poster hasn't been here in over two days. You may have scared him off. Hell, who knows...maybe I helped.

Remember, when it comes to disagreements, there are two sides to every story with the truth being somewhere in the middle. There's no doubt the two of you could eat my lunch when it comes to the finer points of audio specs. Both of you feel strongly about your positions. All I want to do is point out that this is fast becoming a re-creation of Dr. Suess' "The Zax."

Nah, I'm still here. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the response and haven't had time to reply to everything yet, but I'm still around. I do think it's funny how the thread evolved into a "Which PE speaker sucks less" thread though.
post #69 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's been a busy couple of days. I came back to the thread today and found 3 pages of responses! Better get to work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1970 View Post

Have you considered industrial sabotage. Maybe stumble and spill your Coke all over the Lifestyle Module.

Or maybe leave this open on your browser when she is around:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If your cash is low, you can try the Pioneer Speakers with your sub, they are not super tiny cubes though:

BS-21

CS-21

I have the center and its a very good performer for the price.

-Funny you should mention it. I actually have considered a little sabotage, but eventually ruled it out
-Yeah, I've read all the explanations for why Bose sucks. Part of the problem is that her brother works at Best Buy and is the one who sold her the system. She's also tried to get me to talk to him about getting a discount on some Monster cables. I told her how I felt about that one and refrained from bringing it up when I met him.
-I'll address all the recommendations in one shot at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Well my bag of tricks includes sitting my wife down to show her a few of the setups on here. Wow look at this guys 8 18" drivers in his living room! Seriously both of you can get some great decorating and integrating ideas together. There are many gorgeous speakers out there that can match the decor of the room. If it is bose or some nice inwalls... you know the rest!

Edit: This bose would be great for the bedroom hun!

Sounds like sound advice. (Can you use "sound" twice in a 4 word sentence without actually referring to audible sound?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1970 View Post

By the way, your thread title made me laugh.

All I could think of was those old life-alert commercials with the "Help!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!"

They should design one for your situation were you hit the button and a team shows up with new speakers and properly disposes of the Bose System.

"90% of all crappy audio happens in the home; don't let this happen to you!!"

Good one. Love that quote. Also, "Friends don't let friends do crappy audio."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Lol I think you have a great problem. That your fiance is even interested in having nice speakers is great. Who cares if it is Bose. I know it is not the best but it could be way worse. If my wife went out and spent money on a Bose system because she was interested in having good sound then I would be glad haha. Not glad that it was Bose but that she wants good sound

That's a good way of looking at it. Thanks for the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

You can always recommend the bose system for the bedroom saying that the bose won't be loud enough for the living room. That Epik sub wont sound good with those bose cubes.

*How much can you spend on a new 5.0 setup?

*Do you have a decent AV receiver?

*Do you have any say in the decoration of the Living Room (you should)? I assume this will be your theater/music room as well?

*Do the speakers have to be tiny? How large could you get away with?

-Well, anything I spend right now would be a stretch. I'll talk more about that later on.
-I have an Onkyo TX-SR601. It works well, but doesn't have HDMI or any Audyssy EQ.
-Yes, I have some say in the decor. I'll come back to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Well, you do want something she can hear from the kitchen while she's making you a sammich. Sorry, somebody had to say it.

Um...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

OR, when you are watching the big game with your buds and she is keeping the chips and dip coming.

Oh boy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Post pics of GF, then we can decide if you need to just accept the Bose or not.

Yipes!

To be continued...
post #70 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I pretty much have top of the line speakers and won't be upgrading anytime soon as there isn't much higher I can go except in price. Now I never said the PE speakers will blow one away @ 80Hz, I said they can do 80Hz and that is where I have mine crossed and it sounds wonderful. Now for you to lay claim that Steve Guttenberg, the same writer you have disagreed with in the past and said he just writes blurbs, and who made the claim that the PE's are "more musical than PSB", well, that speaks volumes (no pun intended) itself. As I said, I have heard the speakers you recommended. If there is no other alternative then they will do. But there are ALOT better alternatives and as such you don't like someone disagreeing with you regardless of the reason, regardless if you "care" about the final outcome. You just want to think you are correct. We all know on this matter you are wrong, you don't post links to support your argument because there are no such links because it simply isn't true. Gotta love how now you know better than MartinLogan engineers. If all were true then you would be working for them instead of being on here arguing about 2 different types of speakers, neither of which you personally know anything about, with someone that does have the experience with both. But you'd rather listen to someone who listened to them for 20 minutes. Suddenly that person is the "pro" on this subject while the REAL pro is being ridiculed for factual, verifiable facts.

You are the one that needs to "relax" and learn something here...that you are not always correct and that Steve Guttenburg is a paid writer so it is in his best interest to write good things. He certainly wouldn't be paid or be consistantly published if all he wrote were bad things. Go ahead and continue with your all knowing blather, the rest know what to believe, and it isn't you.

If you have "top of the line" speakers why are you pushing speakers with tiny main drivers? I give up, you're just a weird dude..... good luck to the OP, and stay away from Martin Logans with 4" "woofers"!
post #71 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I looked over in the Speaker forum for your new thread, but didn't see one there.

You already have a great sub, here are some Bose killers. http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=102

Thanks for going to the effort to look for me over there. I had a busy couple days of work, and when I came back this thread had progressed to the point that I figured I better just return here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Here ya go Bro, one of the best deals out there. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

They have good pro reviews, a real plus when buying speakers. I would avoid tiny single driver speakers, they can't do lows OR highs as well as these. Two way speakers have a woofer large enough to dig down to where you can hear the bass, and a separate tweeter to deliver realistic highs. Good luck!

Wow. Just Wow. Those are some really cheap speakers.

Quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't get that crap. Looked them over in PE's showroom and Bose is by far better. Now, If you REALLY want nice, excellent, small speakers that actually MATCH, get this:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-694
I have the center and two of the upright speakers and they absolutely rock for their size. This is from first hand experience. And this is an outstanding deal. They look good and are built better. The speakers poolboy linked have 1/8" particle board for the cabinets. They really aren't all the reviews would lead you to believe. They beat a blank but you could do way better on craigslist than to buy these...Unless you really don't care about the sound.

The 5.1 set doesn't make sense for me. I have a good sub (Epik Empire), and she knows that it's not getting moved anywhere. In fact, she quite likes the sub (or at least she pretends to). She knows how much time I put into researching subs before buying it and is pretty supportive of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I will echo what others have stated.

Just explain it to her like this:

Your old system was yours. Her old Bose system was hers. Tell her that neither system is adequate compared to what is out there now, and that you want to buy something that belongs to the both of you....something that belongs to the family. Tell her you want her help in picking it out. Just let her know that you have minimum performance requirements, but as long as the equipment meets those requirements, you will let her pick the visual style of the speakers.

That should help I think.

I singled this advice out 'cause I really liked it. This would probably be the route I would take--if I could afford a good setup right now. I'll discuss in more detail later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

If you really want an improvement, you will need to go a little larger. See if you can get away with a 5.1 bookshelf system. There isn't a magic formula for getting HUGE performance out of tiny little satellite speakers. Bigger isn't always better, but when it comes to satellites it is. Only so much output you can get out of those little guys, I don't care who makes them.
Like 5 of these.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
It's what I'd get if I were trying to stay under $1000 for 5 speakers and had size restraints. I'd maybe consider the Pioneers, but I like the looks of the HSU speakers more and suspect they will perform better for home theater as they are more sensitive.

I'm not sure if you have a receiver, but you can find one that will work for these just fine for $200. I see you have a subwoofer already... you should be good to go.

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. Of course you're right. Obviously you're right. You can't go small without sacrificing a lot in sound. I know that, but appreciate the reminder. I can't just buy a different set of puny speakers and expect them to vastly outperform the Bose, so why even try. More on this later.

Quote:

Being over 50 and on wife #2 myself it is fair to say my priorities are somewhat different than they were when I was a young pup.
If I were about to get married audio equipment would not even be on the 'worry about it list'.
There is a lot of macho talk on the forum, but considering that elephants have shorter memories than women getting macho about audio equipment is not in a man's best interest.
As much as Bose is bashed its not as horrible as people on here let on.
I have not heard this system but it gets decent reviews so if you really have to have something now look at this http://www.newegg.com/special/shells...llShocker-EB2B
Somehow though, I really doubt that this will be much different than the Bose system. There is only so much that can be done with the size constraints of these systems.

I'm guessing that newegg link didn't used to link to an induction cooktop? If it did, I think you might be in the wrong forum. I guess I checked it too late to see what was there.

I skipped over the Parts Express speaker debate, since it didn't seem to need any more input.

To be continued...
post #72 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Page 3 is just more Parts Express debate, so I skipped the rest of that.

Okay, so I had a chat with the little lady. The posts on here were too humorous for me to not share them with her. We had a good, healthy, communicative discussion and arrived at a mutual understanding. Thanks for all the relationship advice guys. I don't know if it helped at all, but it was sure a lot of fun to read. Now on to the conclusion.

First, a reminder of the background info:
Me:
-Onkyo TX-SR601 (nice, but no HDMI)
-Fronts: 15 year old Infinity bookshelves (Sterling series, SS2005)
-Center: 10 year old Infinity center channel (probably the best speaker in my set, don't know the model number; doesn't match the timbre of the fronts)
-Rears: Boston Acoustics bookshelves; one seems to have a short or something, as it cuts out intermittently and never sounds that great)
-Sub: Epik Empire
-Speaker stands: on the floor in the front, Paper Shredder and Epson Printer boxes in the back. Cables strewn everywhere
-DVD player: Sampo, propped up on a VHS tape to keep it from making a scraping noise when playing. (Sampos were actually pretty sweet back in the day. They were easily hackable and weren't Region locked, and the remote worked from across the parking lot (good for outdoor movie nights back in college).

Her:
-Bose Lifestyle V20 (for those unfamiliar, it has a control module, 5 satellites and a pseudo-sub AcoustiMass thinger. The control module sends sound to the AcoustiMass jobby, which sends it to the 5 speakers. Yes, I know. Dumb idea. The control module does have HDMI, but not a lot of options for sound output other than the out to the AcoustiMass. However, it does have an analog Left/Right pre-amp out. This is important.
-PS3
-A desire to save up for a freaky-expensive piano. (You think you have expensive hobbies? For 90% of you, they're nothing compared to a girl who dreams of owning a Schimmel baby grand.)

Sorry, I gotta take off and get to church. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion. (or take a guess at where I'm going with this while I'm gone. Hint: The pre-amp out is important. So is the Schimmel.)
post #73 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Personally I'd just wait until I could afford better speakers. Why replace crap with crap and upset her in the process?

When funds permit you may both appreciate the look of the Gallo Strada speakers.

Good luck and congratulations on your marriage.
post #74 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
LOL yeah the link was supposed to be to a set of Mirage speakers.... now the link is going to an electric water kettle, sorry about that.

While there are certainly gems and duds out there for the most part my experience has been that speakers that cost close to each other may sound different from each other but not necessairly better or worse than each other.
Every speaker is a compromise and the lower the price more compromises have to be made.
It has also been my experience that the price goes up a lot faster than the SQ improvement does.

If money is tight I would continue to make do with the stuff you have, no need to incur debt to get new speakers when what you have is very servicable, if not the best in class.
So unless your toes curl up whenever you hear either system start a speaker savings jar and save up enough to get a really good mid-fi system anchored with something along the lines of Paradigm Studio 100 or Klipsch RF-7.

Regards,
Charlie

post #75 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

Page 3 is just more Parts Express debate, so I skipped the rest of that.

Okay, so I had a chat with the little lady. The posts on here were too humorous for me to not share them with her. We had a good, healthy, communicative discussion and arrived at a mutual understanding. Thanks for all the relationship advice guys. I don't know if it helped at all, but it was sure a lot of fun to read. Now on to the conclusion.

First, a reminder of the background info:
Me:
-Onkyo TX-SR601 (nice, but no HDMI)
-Fronts: 15 year old Infinity bookshelves (Sterling series, SS2005)
-Center: 10 year old Infinity center channel (probably the best speaker in my set, don't know the model number; doesn't match the timbre of the fronts)
-Rears: Boston Acoustics bookshelves; one seems to have a short or something, as it cuts out intermittently and never sounds that great)
-Sub: Epik Empire
-Speaker stands: on the floor in the front, Paper Shredder and Epson Printer boxes in the back. Cables strewn everywhere
-DVD player: Sampo, propped up on a VHS tape to keep it from making a scraping noise when playing. (Sampos were actually pretty sweet back in the day. They were easily hackable and weren't Region locked, and the remote worked from across the parking lot (good for outdoor movie nights back in college).

Her:
-Bose Lifestyle V20 (for those unfamiliar, it has a control module, 5 satellites and a pseudo-sub AcoustiMass thinger. The control module sends sound to the AcoustiMass jobby, which sends it to the 5 speakers. Yes, I know. Dumb idea. The control module does have HDMI, but not a lot of options for sound output other than the out to the AcoustiMass. However, it does have an analog Left/Right pre-amp out. This is important.
-PS3
-A desire to save up for a freaky-expensive piano. (You think you have expensive hobbies? For 90% of you, they're nothing compared to a girl who dreams of owning a Schimmel baby grand.)

Sorry, I gotta take off and get to church. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion. (or take a guess at where I'm going with this while I'm gone. Hint: The pre-amp out is important. So is the Schimmel.)

I think I got it.

*your keeping the bose system in the livingroom for now and will try to make it work with your empire

*she will get her piano first and then you can splurge on proper speakers later?

If this is the case then it's pretty fair in the long as you will both be happy in the end. It's nice that she was cool about the Epik sub you purchased
post #76 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

The 5.1 set doesn't make sense for me. I have a good sub (Epik Empire), and she knows that it's not getting moved anywhere. In fact, she quite likes the sub (or at least she pretends to). She knows how much time I put into researching subs before buying it and is pretty supportive of it....

Excellent! Just saved some more money!
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-680

NOTE this is a DIFFERENT set than my first link.
post #77 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Have fun trying to incorporate the Epik & Bose in the same system. The bass module MUST be used with the cubes and vice versa.
post #78 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post
I think I got it.

*your keeping the bose system in the livingroom for now and will try to make it work with your empire

*she will get her piano first and then you can splurge on proper speakers later?

If this is the case then it's pretty fair in the long as you will both be happy in the end. It's nice that she was cool about the Epik sub you purchased
You're close, but not quite.

We talked and she basically said that she knows this is something that's important to me and trusts my judgement and is even willing to give up the Bose. However, she doesn't see much of a point in buying some cheap-O speakers that may/may not sound better than her Bose system does, and I agree with her on that. Yeah, the Bose stuff is way overpriced for what you get, and yeah the quality and performance isn't great, but it's a sunk cost at this point. The biggest The reason I included the detail about the Schimmel is that she has been saving up for this piano for years and fully intends to own it at some point her her life. Because of this, she has an appreciation for saving up for expensive but high quality things. So, we're gonna put off upgrading for now, and I'm going to make an attempt to integrate her Bose system with my sub. Down the road, we'll hock the Bose and get something nicer.

As for integrating my sub with the Bose, that's where the stereo pre-amps come into play. It's the only audio output on the Bose that doesn't go to the AcoustiMass (it doesn't even have a headphone out!), so it's that or nothing. I hooked up some headphones to it, and it seems to be getting the full range of sound. I need to try it out on a movie (I only tried music) and see what it does with a 5.1 track. There is a hitch with this though: I'll have to control the sub volume directly on the sub. That's a bit of a hassle of course, but manageable. If it's enough of a hassle, that will just mean I can upgrade that much faster! Does anybody have any thoughts on why this plan wouldn't work? Assuming everything is sent via that audio out, I can just control the crossover and volume at the sub.

I'm also planning on blowing the dust off REW and testing her Bose setup this weekend. I'd like to see if the legendary gaps in its range are as bad as I've heard.

Sorry, no exciting ending. I had hoped to make it a bit more fun but this post has dragged long enough.
post #79 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have fun trying to incorporate the Epik & Bose in the same system. The bass module MUST be used with the cubes and vice versa.
Yeah, I think I've got an answer to that (as explained above, right below your post). I am a bit worried about positioning the AcoustiMass. Since it handles higher frequencies than an actual sub, they recommend you situate it as close to the front of the room and the tv as possible. That's a bit inconvenient.
post #80 of 132 Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
JPark - sounds like you guys are working it all out. This is very good to hear due to the fact that you are just newly married and sharing. Wish you both a good 50 or so years together.
post #81 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think having a reference like a Schimmel piano in the house will greatly influence your opinion of what a good speaker should sound like.
Its always better (and usually cheaper in the long run) to buy something you will keep rather than incrementally working up the food chain.
Enjoy your wife to be and I wish you have many years of happiness.

Regards,
Charlie

post #82 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You might be able to use your real sub along side the Bose Acoustimass module.
Hook up the Bose per the instructions, connect the subwoofer to the LFE out on the AVR, set the speakers to small and the x-over to 80Hz.
The AVR will bass manage what goes to the sub and to the acoustimas module which will simply pass the signal it gets to the cubes.
Since the Bose is a speaker system with its own crossovers I don't think you will be able to use your AVR's EQ, but if you level match the sub to the Bose system it should work fine.

Regards,
Charlie

post #83 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might be able to use your real sub along side the Bose Acoustimass module.
Hook up the Bose per the instructions, connect the subwoofer to the LFE out on the AVR, set the speakers to small and the x-over to 80Hz.
The AVR will bass manage what goes to the sub and to the acoustimas module which will simply pass the signal it gets to the cubes.
Since the Bose is a speaker system with its own crossovers I don't think you will be able to use your AVR's EQ, but if you level match the sub to the Bose system it should work fine.

Thanks for the wishes.

Are you saying to use my Onkyo with my sub and her AcoustiMass/speakers? I thought about that, but how would I hook the AcoustiMass/speakers mess up to my Onkyo? When using the full Bose system, it's all one cable that goes from the Bose unit to the AcoustiMass.
post #84 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

On the acoustimass system I have seen the acoustimass sub module had speaker inputs that connected to the five speaker outputs on the AVR and the speaker cubes connected to speaker outputs on the acoustimass sub module.

If yours does not work this way then what I proposed probably can't be done.

Regards,
Charlie

post #85 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

can you post a link to the Bose system you have ?

Regards,
Charlie

post #86 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

can you post a link to the Bose system you have ?

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle.../dp/B000UQURH0

Here's a pic of the back. Bottom left (my left) is the plug for all of the speakers. It looks sort of like an S-VHS (but it's not, obviously).
LL
post #87 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Liked: 18
I had not replied before because I thought the OP had abandoned the post.
But almost every man as I did goes through this. I think that you can overcome this issue with educating the woman. If you explain how speakers work well with graphs and diagrams it becomes pretty clear that while a high quality speaker can produce more than its competition at the same size there is no way you can get good volume and great sound out of small speakers. If you could do there would be no such thing as large speakers because no one would even want or need them.

After that look realistically at everything in your house. Everything that is functional needs to be there and it helps if it looks good and blends with the style of the room. Speakers are no different. You can buy at very cheap prices speakers with matching colors and and complement a room. And given the fact I doubt you shelled out thousands of dollars to get a TV that is shrouded in matching wood frame I bet your TV is black. And so adding some black speakers in the room can actually do wonders to make the TV blend with the room more. I bought speakers that were cherry with black grilles and they look good in the room because they complement the black and cherry colors present in the entertainment center.

People do all kinds of stuff like buy pointless spheres and squares and set them on their coffee table then call it art. Then they complain about the size of speakers. Make your speaker the piece of art in the room. It doesnt have to be great and it can still look good, at the very least it will not look bad. And then you can have great sound too.

My woman said all the same things it has to be out of the way we have no place to put it, but after some education and spl diagrams we now have full sized standing speakers in the front and a subwoofer that works as a coffee table and my woman and others all say it looks good and sounds amazing.

Heck if you buy somethnglike the mirage omd5 it looks as good as any vase or pot you are going to stick in the space you save with tiny speakers.

The main point is your living space is full of compromise the biggest one being the TV itself. Think about light switches, plugs, couches, tables every part of your living space is an ugly object but by selecting the right colors and textures you bring it all together and make it look nice. So why are speakers any different?
post #88 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle.../dp/B000UQURH0

Here's a pic of the back. Bottom left (my left) is the plug for all of the speakers. It looks sort of like an S-VHS (but it's not, obviously).

She has the Lifestyle V20. After perusing the Bose site for a bit ("Unclean! Unclean!") it looks like that is a combination of the Acoustimass 10 speakers and the control panel/sensor/remote/etc. If so, there's a chance it came with the cable designed to hook up the Acoustimass/speakers to a normal AVR. I'll have a look after work. Thanks for the tip!
post #89 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

My woman said all the same things ...

Ouch!
If I ever referred to my wife (35 years) as "my woman"...
post #90 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
My solution:

Start dating. Move her to IA so you can work at a speaker company for 3.5 years. Completely destroy the interior of your car putting speakers in it but get it to sound good. Start selling home audio at said speaker company but don't put anything in your house.

Let her watch a few movies in the shop to get an idea of what it sounds like, still don't buy speakers. Decide to move home and leave the speaker business, get married 2 years later. Don't buy speakers yet.

Buy a house with an unfinished basement. Go nuts in your own HT room.

Sure, the whole plan will end up taking about 7.5 years to complete, but the me I was when we met would be jealous of the me in 1.5 years HT.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page