post #91 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

My solution:

Start dating. Move her to IA so you can work at a speaker company for 3.5 years. Completely destroy the interior of your car putting speakers in it but get it to sound good. Start selling home audio at said speaker company but don't put anything in your house.

Let her watch a few movies in the shop to get an idea of what it sounds like, still don't buy speakers. Decide to move home and leave the speaker business, get married 2 years later. Don't buy speakers yet.

Buy a house with an unfinished basement. Go nuts in your own HT room.

Sure, the whole plan will end up taking about 7.5 years to complete, but the me I was when we met would be jealous of the me in 1.5 years HT.

LMAO!!

You sound like Vince Vaughn at the beginning of Fred Clause when he is talking to that little girl after repo-ing her TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

She has the Lifestyle V20. After perusing the Bose site for a bit ("Unclean! Unclean!") it looks like that is a combination of the Acoustimass 10 speakers and the control panel/sensor/remote/etc. If so, there's a chance it came with the cable designed to hook up the Acoustimass/speakers to a normal AVR. I'll have a look after work. Thanks for the tip!

That acoustimas module is different than the one I have seen (but that was years ago).
I still think the Bose is not as bad as many here let on, its certainly not at the top of the list but it is servicable until you can save the coin to get what you really want.
To paraphrase what someone else already said... no reason to replace what you have with something else that is crappy.

Regards,
Charlie

post #93 of 132 Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1970 View Post

LMAO!!

You sound like Vince Vaughn at the beginning of Fred Clause when he is talking to that little girl after repo-ing her TV.

Sounds a more like an autobiography to me...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #94 of 132 Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

That acoustimas module is different than the one I have seen (but that was years ago).
I still think the Bose is not as bad as many here let on, its certainly not at the top of the list but it is servicable until you can save the coin to get what you really want.
To paraphrase what someone else already said... no reason to replace what you have with something else that is crappy.

I just got off the phone with somebody at Bose. I will say this for them: the tech support they hire out to India is much better than the tech support other companies hire out to India.

Anyway, the idea of using her Acoustimass/speakers with my receiver and subwoofer isn't going to work. For whatever reason, the Acoustimass/speakers that come with her receiver are different from the ones that are sold without the receiver. The cables are different, and there's no adapter cable to hook them up to a normal receiver.

The other option of hooking my sub up to the pre-amp stereo outs on her receiver may still work. I'll have to give it a try to see if it's at all satisfactory. Right now though, with all this Bose proprietary mess I'm leaning toward putting her whole system on Craigslist and going shopping with her for some new speakers.
post #95 of 132 Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I don't think you will have any trouble selling that system and chances are it will fetch a pretty good price.
Good luck and let post what you eventually get.

Regards,
Charlie

post #96 of 132 Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought I'd update you all with the end of the story, in case you're interested.

The Short Version
I busted my butt trying to make her Bose work with my sub, and then I ordered the Jamo S606 5.0 set from Vanns.

The Long Version
It actually is possible to hook up a non-Bose something-or-other to the Bose Lifestyle systems. There's one L/R audio out on the back. However, it serves as more of a Line Out. It dumps all the channels out and isn't affected by the volume of the system. I hooked my Epik Empire up to this and controlled the crossover at the sub. I set the crossover on the sub as low as it would go and took some measurements. There was a bump between about 38-45Hz where my sub and the Bose Bass Module overlapped, but other than that it worked alright and was relatively flat.

However, since the volume of the audio out wasn't affected by the volume of the Bose system, I'd have to control the volume on the sub directly to match the listening level of whatever we happened to listen to. I envisioned growing tired of this very quickly. If you get a phone call and mute the system, you still have a thumping subwoofer. I thought about hooking up another receiver between the Bose and the sub so I could control the sub volume with a remote, but that would only be marginally better.

I talked it over with the wife and she acquiesced. I initially planned to replace the Bose setup with a marginally better satellite system (Polk, Martin Logan, etc), but I saw the Jamos on Vann's for roughly the same price, and she agreed to go for it. We need to build some nice looking floating shelves for the surround speakers, but other than that we're good to go!

Thanks for all the advice and comfort through this trying time.
post #97 of 132 Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Glad everything worked out. Once she hears that new Jamo/Epik setip she will appreciate where you were coming from. I have been spoiling my girfriend with quality sound and she will no longer settle for less!
post #98 of 132 Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your priorities are out of whack.....there is only one question:

Is she hot
post #99 of 132 Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I have been spoiling my girfriend with quality sound and she will no longer settle for less!

And then they brag about it to their friends. That's the way you do it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #100 of 132 Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

...I ordered the Jamo S606 5.0 set from Vanns.

Good call, JPark.

Glad to hear you were able to make it happen.

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
post #101 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM

I don't understand the problem here about getting something that she likes.

I bought a whole Paradigm Signature setup, which isn't exactly small. I didn't ask permission. If she doesn't like it, the wife knows where the front door is.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #102 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

I bought a whole Paradigm Signature setup, which isn't exactly small. I didn't ask permission. If she doesn't like it, the wife knows where the front door is.

You just described the problem: if she doesn't like it, she knows where the front door is.
post #103 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 AM

If she leaves, hopefully she'll give you back your manhood.

I don't have any such problems.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #104 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

I gotta side with this. While it is important to keep harmony, there comes a time where BOTH just go ahead and do things. It keeps individuality which is major in a relationship. I don't ask. I may discuss it but will tell her what will be and she doesn't have an issue. She knows I don't tell her how to do her hair or what to wear or what furniture to buy. And she doesn't tell me what kind of HT equipment I can or can't buy.
post #105 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

You just described the problem: if she doesn't like it, she knows where the front door is.

Well that's not a big problem if you have her chained to the stove properly.
post #106 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Somebody has watched Black Snake Moan recently!
post #107 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I gotta side with this. While it is important to keep harmony, there comes a time where BOTH just go ahead and do things. It keeps individuality which is major in a relationship. I don't ask. I may discuss it but will tell her what will be and she doesn't have an issue. She knows I don't tell her how to do her hair or what to wear or what furniture to buy. And she doesn't tell me what kind of HT equipment I can or can't buy.

If we had a dedicated theater it would be a different matter. However, all my gear is in the front room which means compromise.
post #108 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If she leaves, hopefully she'll give you back your manhood.

I don't have any such problems.

If I loved my stereo more than I love her I would have married the stereo instead of her.

(You can do that nowadays, right?)
post #109 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

If we had a dedicated theater it would be a different matter. However, all my gear is in the front room which means compromise.

Ours is front and center in the living room.
post #110 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Ah JPark, to be young, naive, and in love.

You will soon learn. Every marriage has its' ups and downs. If you compromise, or heaven forbid, let her run the marriage, guess what? You're still going to have ups and downs. Why not be happy during the down period? At least you'll have proper gear to get away from it all.

About 5 years ago, I got sick and tired of bending. It's been smooth sailing ever since. They learn soon enough.

And if you have this mentality that you need to bend in order to keep her, ... why does she not have the same worries? Man up, or pretty soon you'll be cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, etc.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #111 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

If I loved my stereo more than I love her I would have married the stereo instead of her.

(You can do that nowadays, right?)

I have a common-law relationship with my Signatures. We're expecting a lovechild next week. MilleniaOnes (2.0) and a MilleniaSub.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #112 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Man up, or pretty soon you'll be cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, etc.

Dunno why you interpret that as a bad thing. When I'm hungry I cook, when I make a mess I clean it up, when my babies needed changing I changed diapers, etc and am no less a man. Actually that makes me more of a man in mine, my wifes and friends opinions.
post #113 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And if you have this mentality that you need to bend in order to keep her, ... why does she not have the same worries? Man up, or pretty soon you'll be cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, etc.

I chose to marry a woman who thinks enough of herself that she wouldn't put up with a jerk who doesn't give her thoughts/feelings any consideration. I know there are plenty of women out there who put up with their husbands'/boyfriends' crap and count themselves lucky to just be in a relationship. Others may be happy with a woman like that, but not me.
post #114 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 239
IMO, Kill it with fire!!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #115 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

Ah JPark, to be young, naive, and in love.

You will soon learn. Every marriage has its' ups and downs. If you compromise, or heaven forbid, let her run the marriage, guess what? You're still going to have ups and downs. Why not be happy during the down period? At least you'll have proper gear to get away from it all.

About 5 years ago, I got sick and tired of bending. It's been smooth sailing ever since. They learn soon enough.

Make sure that you sleep with one eye open. Remember the guy who's wife drugged him and cut it off?
post #116 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

I chose to marry a woman who thinks enough of herself that she wouldn't put up with a jerk who doesn't give her thoughts/feelings any consideration. I know there are plenty of women out there who put up with their husbands'/boyfriends' crap and count themselves lucky to just be in a relationship. Others may be happy with a woman like that, but not me.

I agree with you, who wants a walkover? And, there is no shortage of Dr. Phil's here on the Fourm who will tell you what to do with your private life.

The 3 most important words in marriage are:

1) compromise
2) compromise
3) compromise
post #117 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:

You make it sound like I'm a wife beater or something, and that my wife is subservient. My wife is well taken care of, as is her extended family for that matter. I'm just saying that compromising on every issue, in my experience, doesn't make a difference. I'm not afraid to do what I want, within the boundaries of family life. I don't think that makes me a jerk, if that is what you were implying.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #118 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

The 3 most important words in marriage are:

1) compromise
2) compromise
3) compromise

1. Solid
2. Hickory
3. Switch

And to make sure she knows who's boss, "woman, make me a sammich".
It's also helpful to degrade them in public. Say you're at a restaurant; when the waiter/waitress asks for your drink order "I'll have a double shot of whiskey and she'll have a water" will make you feel like a real man every time.

OK I'm done
post #119 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Do what I did. I bought my HT for the living room and in return, I got her a food pocessor for our anniversary. Trust me, she loves to cook. No, really. Why are you all looking at me like that?

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #120 of 132 Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Liked: 11
The word on the streets is she's hoping for a new sweeper for her birthday.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page