Help! My girlfriend has a Bose system!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, here's the situation:
I have crummy speakers, in 5.1 surround sound. I'm working on an upgrade and am beginning with the subwoofer (looking at the ID subs in the $600-$1k range). My girlfriend has a pretty new Bose system she's pretty proud of (and which I am not allowed to speak ill of). If this ends up being a long term thing, she is likely going to want her Bose system in my front room. I don't mind so much about the fronts and surround speakers, 'cause my current setup isn't that great. But I'm worried about the sub.

So, my questions are these:
- Is it possible to match a good sub with a Bose System? Can I just set the crossover really high?
- Can you run a different sub off the Bose pseudo-amp/receiver thingy?
- Is it worth breaking up over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bose does sound decent to start with but you really tire from it quickly, but NO system is worth breaking up over.
post #3 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Bose "Bass Module" covers much higher frequencies than a "real" subwoofer would. Which system does she have?

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #4 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

The Bose "Bass Module" covers much higher frequencies than a "real" subwoofer would. Which system does she have?

She's not entirely sure, but she seemed to be trying to come up with the word "AcoustiMass." Not sure which specific model. I'll check next time I'm over.
post #5 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Why won't she let you get rid of it? If it is because that would be an admission of an error, I can't help you. If it is bcause she wants tiny speakers, you can find some alternatives that will give you small speakers and good sound. In particular, HSU's Ventriloquist system is highly regarded. I almost bought it when looking for a new 5.1 system.
post #6 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

She's not entirely sure, but she seemed to be trying to come up with the word "AcoustiMass." Not sure which specific model. I'll check next time I'm over.

Bose systems are proprietary so if you want to hook up a sub you'd need to hook it up to the receiver via the sub out. Which is fine and preffered and would work but having heard that module I can't imagine trying to match it with anything and getting good results. I wish you luck, the only decent part of the speaker system will be what ever sub you hook up.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #7 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallisHampton View Post

Why won't she let you get rid of it? If it is because that would be an admission of an error, I can't help you. If it is bcause she wants tiny speakers, you can find some alternatives that will give you small speakers and good sound. In particular, HSU's Ventriloquist system is highly regarded. I almost bought it when looking for a new 5.1 system.

Well, I just asked what she liked about her system. She said "I like the sound, well, it's no secret Bose makes good speakers, but I also like that they don't become the focal point of the living room." I didn't have the heart to contradict her beyond saying that a lot of people feel that when you buy a Bose system, a chunk of your money is going toward the Bose emblem on the front. Anyway, I'd take that to mean that it's the "admission of error" issue as well as the size issue. I'll check out HSU's offering.
post #8 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

OK, she has the Lifestyle V20. Good news is she got it for about $400 less than Amazon's price, so at least she wasn't ripped off. Well, not any more than anyone else buying the same system.
post #9 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Well, I just asked what she liked about her system. She said "I like the sound, well, it's no secret Bose makes good speakers, but I also like that they don't become the focal point of the living room." I didn't have the heart to contradict her beyond saying that a lot of people feel that when you buy a Bose system, a chunk of your money is going toward the Bose emblem on the front. Anyway, I'd take that to mean that it's the "admission of error" issue as well as the size issue. I'll check out HSU's offering.

How you can possibly take her explanation as an "admission of error" is beyond me. I mean how do you get that from "I like the sound"? It's a chick so not surprising at all that she likes the sound, and these things do sound excellent, and that the speakers "are not the focal point of the room", since chicks don't want their electronics to be the focal point of a room like most dudes do.

Go ahead and look into HSUs offerings, but don't expect that Bose system to go anywhere unless you plan on paying for the HSU system yourself for her. SOunds like she knows what she wants and she has it. And to top it off she didn't spend as much as others on the system and since the money is the issue when it comes to Bose, what is the problem? SHe's happy. Why rock the boat by telling her she doesn't know what good is? She may just rethink her decision to be dating you based on that.
post #10 of 132 Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

How you can possibly take her explanation as an "admission of error" is beyond me. I mean how do you get that from "I like the sound"? It's a chick so not surprising at all that she likes the sound, and these things do sound excellent, and that the speakers "are not the focal point of the room", since chicks don't want their electronics to be the focal point of a room like most dudes do.

Go ahead and look into HSUs offerings, but don't expect that Bose system to go anywhere unless you plan on paying for the HSU system yourself for her. SOunds like she knows what she wants and she has it. And to top it off she didn't spend as much as others on the system and since the money is the issue when it comes to Bose, what is the problem? SHe's happy. Why rock the boat by telling her she doesn't know what good is? She may just rethink her decision to be dating you based on that.

True, it's not really an admission of error if she hasn't even recognized an error. When I asked her about her sound system she switched into full advertisement mode, so I feel like the Best Buy salesperson really did his job well. That's the part that actually bothers me. I feel like she was taken in by a sales person to the point where she thinks if it's not Bose, it's no good. A large part of my personality is correcting things that I perceive to be wrong, which has gotta be pretty annoying to her (and everyone else). I guess this will be good practice to lay off that a bit.

Pretty solid relationship advice. Thanks.

Now, as for integrating her system with a decent sub, can I supplement her Acoustimass module by just hooking up a sub to the spare audio out, or is there more to it than that? Any guesses what the crossover should be set to?
post #11 of 132 Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You need to find one of us in your area and have her see and hear what a good system sounds like. I'm in Olympia, WA.

Bill
post #12 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd revive this thread since the issue has become much more pressing. We're getting married in a little over a month. She still has the Bose and has made some subtle hints that it would be nice if my system didn't take up the whole front room.

The truth is that, aside from my sub, my speakers aren't that great and are in need of replacing. I bought the fronts 15 years ago as a high school graduation gift to myself, and pieced together the rest while in college. None of them match each other (even the two rears that should be identical have different sound--I think one of them is messed up).

So, here's what I'm thinking:
- Her biggest gripe (and best argument for the Bose) is that my system is a big, hulking, ugly mess. My rears are propped up on a printer box and a monitor box, for crying out loud!
- If I don't do something, I expect her Bose system will kick mine out of the front room
- I'm due for an upgrade anyway
- I'm really short on cash (turns out weddings and associated objects/activities are pretty pricey)
- Can I get a small, unobtrusive, cheap-but-better-sounding-than-the-Bose set of 5.0 speakers?

I probably should have checked what forum my original question was in. I hope it's not the sub forum since this is definitely more of a speaker question. If it is, oops. My bad. Sorry.

So, any thoughts on what I could get? The Hsu Ventriloquist VT-12 looks a little Too-Good-To-Be-True for $299. Any experience with it? Any other recs?

EDIT: PS The reason I'm only ripping on my current main/center/surround speakers is that, after a decade of shopping, I finally plunked down the cash for the Epik Empire last year. It makes me smile just typing that.
post #13 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
I can tell you from experience that for MOST women, it's all about room aesthetics. For MOST guys, it's all about performance. Marriage is all about compromise. You BOTH have to pick out what you like and then find what few picks you have in common. She's going to pick what looks nice and sounds "pleasant," you're going to pick what you think will rock your HT. Trust me, down the road, she's going to ask you to get involved and pick out new drapes. Nothing says she can't be asked to get involved and do some research on speakers. Have her get online with you and do a little footwork.

In the end, it may not be what you want but it will be what you can live with.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #14 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Whats the size of your room?
post #15 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Whats the size of your room?

Large-ish. It's 15' wide by 25' long, and opens into a kitchen, front room, and hallway.
post #16 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh boy, she's already giving you 'hints'.

Take it from a guy that HAD a wife with that mentality as your current girl.
It's MY home too. I built, bought all the things needed, regardless what she thought. She HATED it at first, calling the gear "bulky", "ugly", "WHY?" and so forth. No WAF with me. IOW, I killed at the bud. NOW, she looks at the gear as part of the family. She ENJOYS watching movies. So, my advice to you is, get something that will be MORE to your taste and something she can handle. If she says small, YOU go medium/large. She'll get pissed at first, but she'll get over it.

Get my drift?

Evil is Good
post #17 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Also don't forget the golden rule of HIFI purchases: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission
post #18 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

Oh boy, she's already giving you 'hints'.

Take it from a guy that HAD a wife with that mentality as your current girl.
It's MY home too. I built, bought all the things needed, regardless what she thought. She HATED it at first, calling the gear "bulky", "ugly", "WHY?" and so forth. No WAF with me. IOW, I killed at the bud. NOW, she looks at the gear as part of the family. She ENJOYS watching movies. So, my advice to you is, get something that will be MORE to your taste and something she can handle. If she says small, YOU go medium/large. She'll get pissed at first, but she'll get over it.

Get my drift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Also don't forget the golden rule of HIFI purchases: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Awesome posts. Thanks guys for the advice!

As I suspected, my original post was in the sub section. Since this has obviously morphed into a speaker question, I'm gonna take it over there. Thanks again for the input.
post #19 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Liked: 26
Have you considered industrial sabotage. Maybe stumble and spill your Coke all over the Lifestyle Module.

Or maybe leave this open on your browser when she is around:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

If your cash is low, you can try the Pioneer Speakers with your sub, they are not super tiny cubes though:

BS-21

CS-21

I have the center and its a very good performer for the price.

post #20 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Well my bag of tricks includes sitting my wife down to show her a few of the setups on here. Wow look at this guys 8 18" drivers in his living room! Seriously both of you can get some great decorating and integrating ideas together. There are many gorgeous speakers out there that can match the decor of the room. If it is bose or some nice inwalls... you know the rest!

Edit: This bose would be great for the bedroom hun!
post #21 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 26
By the way, your thread title made me laugh.

All I could think of was those old life-alert commercials with the "Help!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!"

They should design one for your situation were you hit the button and a team shows up with new speakers and properly disposes of the Bose System.

"90% of all crappy audio happens in the home; don't let this happen to you!!"

post #22 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Lol I think you have a great problem. That your fiance is even interested in having nice speakers is great. Who cares if it is Bose. I know it is not the best but it could be way worse. If my wife went out and spent money on a Bose system because she was interested in having good sound then I would be glad haha. Not glad that it was Bose but that she wants good sound
post #23 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can always recommend the bose system for the bedroom saying that the bose won't be loud enough for the living room. That Epik sub wont sound good with those bose cubes.

*How much can you spend on a new 5.0 setup?

*Do you have a decent AV receiver?

*Do you have any say in the decoration of the Living Room (you should)? I assume this will be your theater/music room as well?

*Do the speakers have to be tiny? How large could you get away with?
post #24 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Liked: 13
see if it's about her wanted to Bose speakers in the main room or just having smaller speakers than what you have now. see what your budget is and you can get some good smaller speakers with proper stands instead of boxes. vanns is supposed to have a night sale tomorrow, http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/co...11-PrivateSale, that you can check and Polk Audio has been on sale at newegg recently.

i just ended up buying a large sub w/o telling the gf, RW-12D which is large compared to what i had before. she wasn't too happy when it arrived but when she felt the bass from it, she quickly encouraged me to get a second one when i told her that bass would be smoother and more consistant.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #25 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Large-ish. It's 15' wide by 25' long, and opens into a kitchen, front room, and hallway.

Well, you do want something she can hear from the kitchen while she's making you a sammich. Sorry, somebody had to say it.

post #26 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Well, you do want something she can hear from the kitchen while she's making you a sammich. Sorry, somebody had to say it.

OR, when you are watching the big game with your buds and she is keeping the chips and dip coming.
post #27 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

So, here's what I'm thinking:
- Her biggest gripe (and best argument for the Bose) is that my system is a big, hulking, ugly mess. My rears are propped up on a printer box and a monitor box, for crying out loud!
- If I don't do something, I expect her Bose system will kick mine out of the front room
- I'm due for an upgrade anyway
- I'm really short on cash (turns out weddings and associated objects/activities are pretty pricey)
- Can I get a small, unobtrusive, cheap-but-better-sounding-than-the-Bose set of 5.0 speakers?

There are many small speakers that sound better than Bose, but you don't need to go there.

Many wives have been convinced to put aside their speaker-size concerns when they experience speakers that sound really good. Either they're highly impressed when you take them to a shop or friend's house for a demo, or (more risky, albeit less risk if done before you're married) you buy them without her knowledge and impress her by playing some of her favorite music on the system. To make the latter strategy work, make sure to be there when she walks in, with a CD of her favorite music ready to play (or already playing) immediately as she walks in the door.

For the subwoofer, choose one that looks like an end table.

EDIT: I see you already bought an Epik Empire.
post #28 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Lol I think you have a great problem. That your fiance is even interested in having nice speakers is great. Who cares if it is Bose. I know it is not the best but it could be way worse. If my wife went out and spent money on a Bose system because she was interested in having good sound then I would be glad haha. Not glad that it was Bose but that she wants good sound

I agree with this 100%. At least she wants good sound. She just doesn't know how to get it. At least she isn't one of the "they all sound the same" girls. That would be a bigger problem.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #29 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with this 100%. At least she wants good sound. She just doesn't know how to get it. At least she isn't one of the "they all sound the same" girls. That would be a bigger problem.

The bigger problem comes when you want to watch "Iron Man" and she wants to watch "Eat, Pray, Love."

post #30 of 132 Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Post pics of GF, then we can decide if you need to just accept the Bose or not.

Regards,
Charlie

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers