14Likes

post #271 of 2629 Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

This isn't true, some may have but neither of my gen 1 MFW's had any stickers on them. I had no idea what serial number either was. All V2's have a serial number sticker.

Ah,Ok.Mine has the two stickers,So I figured they all did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2629 Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Some folks might find it of interest that after relentlessly posting about the MFW and Turbo, you have decided NOT to go with the Turbo, but rather buy one or more of the subs from Craig Chases' Tweak City Audio. I forget if you are getting the 18.1 or 18.2 and whether you are getting single or doubles.

The CS 18.2 is an 800 watt dual 18 inch sealed sub selling for $1275 plus shipping. 40 inches high by 20 wide by 20 deep.

I am getting one CS-18.2 "for now" famous last words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunegoon View Post

yes, i was wondering the same thing. what happened?

What happened was I was all set to get the Turbo kit then I found out about the new offerings from TCA. Two of my previous three subs were ported so I decided to go sealed again and with dual 18" drivers to boot! I am sure the Turbo kit will kick butt and take names but for me the 18.2 just fit the bill.
post #273 of 2629 Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Regardless of what you decide to purchase, we look forward to hearing your impressions.

-J

PS the CS 18.2 is intriguing.

Life is good.
post #274 of 2629 Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Regardless of what you decide to purchase, we look forward to hearing your impressions.

-J

PS the CS 18.2 is intriguing.

Thanks jhan1000 in this hobby as you know there is always something new around the corner which is what makes this so much fun! I will post my impressions with pics as well as my in room REW response.
post #275 of 2629 Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Sorry, but IMO getting an MFW Turbo kit is like putting a turbocharger on an Edsel. Let it go, it was the biggest horror story to ever hit the world of subs, it should be allowed to RIP!
post #276 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I look forward to comparing my MFW-15 to a CS 18.1.

The MFW-15 Turbo kit will only utilize the enclosure. As long as your veneer is holding up, I wouldn't call it a turbo Edsel! It will be a totally different sub. There is nothing wrong at all with the enclosure design.

The kit will cost about what the completed CS18.1 will, though, plus your original investment.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #277 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Sorry, but IMO getting an MFW Turbo kit is like putting a turbocharger on an Edsel. Let it go, it was the biggest horror story to ever hit the world of subs, it should be allowed to RIP!

The MFW definitely had problems that is not even debatable but the overall Seaton design was very good, it was just implemented very shoddily. Many of us with MFWs from the initial run are still very happy with them. I don't think your analogy applies as the vast majority of the issues with the MFW were with the amp. The turbo kit is basically a totally new subwoofer since the only thing your are reusing is the cabinet. A custom A.E. driver and a very nice dedicated 950w amplifier with Seaton and Kevin's mods will put this in a different class then what we normally see in the cutthroat world of ID subwoofers.

Now I know AV123 products have a stigma about them and some just want to see them gone. I don't have that issue as all my speakers and subwoofers are behind a false wall or in columns.
post #278 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
+1.

The initial batch was manufactured by Mr. Pu and those subs got no problem whatsoever as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

The MFW definitely had problems that is not even debatable but the overall Seaton design was very good, it was just implemented very shoddily. Many of us with MFWs from the initial run are still very happy with them. I don't think your analogy applies as the vast majority of the issues with the MFW were with the amp. The turbo kit is basically a totally new subwoofer since the only thing your are reusing is the cabinet. A custom A.E. driver and a very nice dedicated 950w amplifier with Seaton and Kevin's mods will put this in a different class then what we normally see in the cutthroat world of ID subwoofers.

Now I know AV123 products have a stigma about them and some just want to see them gone. I don't have that issue as all my speakers and subwoofers are behind a false wall or in columns.

Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
post #279 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:

I'm sure the high quality parts in the Turbo kit will result in a superior sub, the problem is by the time you're done with the kit plus the initial sub cost you will have spent a considerable amount. Best of luck to those with MFWs, it can't be easy having to deal with problems and/or uncertainty. If rebuilding the sub into something new is what people want to do, at least they have the means to do so now.
post #280 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
True but there already are a lot of people with MFWs out there. I doubt they could spend $750 on a new sub that will equal a turbo MFW. I think if you look at total cost around $1250ish it still compares pretty nicely. Now I would never recommend buying a MFW just to turbo it, unless Av123 starts giving them away at $99 or something.
post #281 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:

True but there already are a lot of people with MFWs out there. I doubt they could spend $750 on a new sub that will equal a turbo MFW. I think if you look at total cost around $1250ish it still compares pretty nicely. Now I would never recommend buying a MFW just to turbo it, unless Av123 starts giving them away at $99 or something.

You may be right, but then again for $1390 you can get a pair of these delivered... http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

If it were me I'd replace the faulty MFW amp, sell it, and go with Dual A5-350s, or maybe save some dough and get a pair of these... http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

To each their own I guess!
post #282 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to construct a copy of the MFW15 enclosure and install the turbo kit? Is the enclosure the only part of the MFW15 that is used? It seems that $750 for the turbo kit plus the expense to build your DIY enclosure (minimal) would produce an inexpensive,quality sub.
post #283 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to construct a copy of the MFW15 enclosure and install the turbo kit? Is the enclosure the only part of the MFW15 that is used? It seems that $750 for the turbo kit plus the expense to build your DIY enclosure (minimal) would produce an inexpensive,quality sub.

Could be done, any cabinet can be copied. How feasible it is, is another question and up to the individual. If one already had the tools (which is a big expense to do it right and hard to justify for one project) and the experience to finish it properly it might be feasible but these are usually the guys designing and constructing their own subs from scratch. Someone with minimal tools and a will to inhale some mdf dust could build a box to spec fairly inexpensively but it probably wouldn't look very good if that mattered. Either way the cost is going to be up there with quite a few quality choices that one won't have to construct and finish properly if they want it to look nice. Some people enjoy that though.

If you're really interested in the kit don't have a cabinet, experience or tools and have checked alternatives in the price range I'd recommend looking for one used, save the time and effort and probably be around the same price as if you did it yourself.
post #284 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Could be done, any cabinet can be copied. How feasible it is, is another question and up to the individual. If one already had the tools (which is a big expense to do it right and hard to justify for one project) and the experience to finish it properly it might be feasible but these are usually the guys designing and constructing their own subs from scratch. Someone with minimal tools and a will to inhale some mdf dust could build a box to spec fairly inexpensively but it probably wouldn't look very good if that mattered. Either way the cost is going to be up there with quite a few quality choices that one won't have to construct and finish properly if they want it to look nice. Some people enjoy that though.

If you're really interested in the kit don't have a cabinet, experience or tools and have checked alternatives in the price range I'd recommend looking for one used, save the time and effort and probably be around the same price as if you did it yourself.

Thanks for that reply and I agree with what you said. I guess I would be wise to wait and see how well the turbo kit actually performs and then compare it to a equal performing sub on the market then compare prices. The turbo kit has not yet been compared to any subs yet. In fact I haven't heard of anyone that has actually installed a kit. All this was just a thought anyway so I'll just wait awhile for some reviews.
post #285 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Here is what was said from Craigs GTG where the Turbo was shown before it was dialed in:

"Hey guys, I've heard the prototype, and as I said on the TCA forum, my initial impression was HOLY CRAP. Given the extra power, he could use a driver that was a little less sensitive and had way stiffer suspension, and still get the cone moving enough to deliver the slam.

It's tighter, more musical, and has a TON more output. It's not a cheap upgrade because it's not a minor one. I don't want to try to compare it to another big high dollar ported sub because I haven't heard them all, but I can't wait to see some numbers because it was pressurizing Craig's 4500 cubic foot room with headroom to spare. I don't know how to adequately impress how freaking loud that thing was."

Any questions?

Edit: I'll give impressions when it arrives.
post #286 of 2629 Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

The used ones seem to go for the same or more than the "deals" you can get on a new one at AV123. With one or two exceptions over the last six months. I have seen 2-3 go for less than $400 but north of $300 and the rest were in the $450-500 range. As point of comparison my Moho Diamond cost me $399 new A stock + $125 shipping. So I don't think the used prices that I have seen are so great unless you get it for $350 or less and it is local.
post #287 of 2629 Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Or buy one and sell off the "extra" driver and amp to someone willing to buy them...... Like me.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #288 of 2629 Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixMan View Post

+1.

The initial batch was manufactured by Mr. Pu and those subs got no problem whatsoever as far as I know.

If Mr. Pu had built the first batch the black satin likely wouldn't telegraph the end grain (seams) and the amp recess would have been consistent to the plate amp fitting on that batch. Based just on what is posted in the forums only one batch of rosewood MFWs came from a different source in China, and all others came from Cali, Colombia. All of the UFW-12 cabinets did come from Mr. Pu's company as was also discussed on their forums.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #289 of 2629 Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate View Post

The used ones seem to go for the same or more than the "deals" you can get on a new one at AV123. With one or two exceptions over the last six months. I have seen 2-3 go for less than $400 but north of $300 and the rest were in the $450-500 range. As point of comparison my Moho Diamond cost me $399 new A stock + $125 shipping. So I don't think the used prices that I have seen are so great unless you get it for $350 or less and it is local.

I paid $1100 for 3 of them used just a few months ago (picked up, so no shipping).

Even if you do end up paying more than the "deals" have been, it's worth knowing you have good units (assuming a reputable seller). In my case, 2 of them were from the original batch, so it was worth $1100 just for those two in my book, plus a freebie ('09 unit) that still happens to be kickin solid.

The "turbo" upgrades still seem like a great value as a package for those who have $400-500 invested per MFW, but we just have to wait to see how performance stacks up against the current ~$1200-1300 per sub competition.
post #290 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

i'm sorry but i have to say this. if you are going to spend $750.00 MORE plus your initial cost of the MFW15 you are out of your mind!!!

why not just get an SVS PB13 ultra instead? something that you will not have problems with and is guaranteed to rock your world? i'm at a loss here.

i have my original 2 mfw-15's and they still work flawlessly...but if i was having problems like you guys are i certainly wouldn't consider a turbo kit as a fix.
post #291 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Or buy one and sell off the "extra" driver and amp to someone willing to buy them...... Like me.

i have 2 x V2 amps you can buy if you are interested. PM me
post #292 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

i'm sorry but i have to say this. if you are going to spend $750.00 MORE plus your initial cost of the MFW15 you are out of your mind!!!

why not just get an SVS PB13 ultra instead? something that you will not have problems with and is guaranteed to rock your world? i'm at a loss here.

i have my original 2 mfw-15's and they still work flawlessly...but if i was having problems like you guys are i certainly wouldn't consider a turbo kit as a fix.

Some of us got one or two at a pretty low price, low enough to make the turbo option very viable. The MFW's look great, have gotten wife approval and are integrated into the HT looks wise which for some wives is all they care about.

If I sell them I get to go through the process of which one will the wife tolerate all over again. So, if I spend $750 plus shipping on top of what I paid I still pay less than the cost of an SVS PB13 Ultra and very possibly get similar if not better performance (not saying it will, data isn't out yet).

Adding the turbo kit in my view is a good option for some, you can take the driver and amp from the MFW and build some garage subs that are also pretty potent for next to nothing. I have one basement sub I built from scraps from an MFW and the thing pounds very nicely. If the amp dies I'm out 25 bucks for the box if I never bring it back to life with another amp.

Anyway, just my 6 cents (inflation ya know)...

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #293 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because one SVS PB13 will cost 1798.00 (including shipping), one Turbo kit is less than 800.00 shipped (you can get two Turbo kits for less than one SVS PB13).

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #294 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you would have actually READ my post you would have read that I do not already own a MFW15 and I don't plan to buy one. I stated that I was wondering about "copying" the MFW15 enclosure as a DIY project and then purchasing and installing the Turbo Kit, which contains everything needed to build a sub except the enclosure. That would bring the price to about $750 plus minor expenses for cabinet (enclosure) materials. I believe that if you did actually do some reading you would not be "at a loss here".
post #295 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

In my case a Turbo'd MFW will have cost me around $1150. The SVS PB13u is no slouch, but at $1798 it would have to perform significantly better to be worth that chunk of change- and I'm not even confident it would outperform a turbo'd MFW in every aspect, much less by 50%. In fact, I could turbo upgrade all three of my stacked MFWs for less than dual PB13u's.

Now, I'm pretty happy with my value in 3x stacked non-turbo'd MFWs, and I have little doubt they outgun a single PB13u handily (for 1/3 less coin). If anything, I'd expect a turbo'd MFW to perform like dual MFWs do now output-wise, and in that case I think you'll find the SVS is stronger in some areas, and a turbo'd MFW is stronger in others. The price difference makes it an easy choice.

It doesn't tell the whole story, but it's essentially a 12" driver, 750watt, 7 cu ft vs a 15" driver, 1000watt, 6 cu ft.

I'm more interested in what $1200 options would outperform a single turbo'd MFW-15.
post #296 of 2629 Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

So if you think some of us are out of our minds for wanting to keep our enclosures and put a new amp driver in em, might I ask you what you would do if you were in our shoes? Chop up your enclosure and use it for firewood?

We've got perfectly good enclosures, why not just spend $800 more to transform it into something that will shame the stock MFW-15. It's better to instead take that $800 and apply it towards the purchase of an $1800 sub? What if BOTH of your MFW-15's were to die, would you instead of doing the turbo upgrade for $1600, you'd rather buy 2 PB13 Ultra's instead for $3600? And we're the ones who are out of our minds?

I'd assume you have money to burn if this is the case but then again, if you did, I'd also go even further to assume this isn't the case seeing as how you have 2 MFW-15's.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #297 of 2629 Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone scheduled to receive one of these soon?
post #298 of 2629 Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

So if you think some of us are out of our minds for wanting to keep our enclosures and put a new amp driver in em, might I ask you what you would do if you were in our shoes? Chop up your enclosure and use it for firewood?

We've got perfectly good enclosures, why not just spend $800 more to transform it into something that will shame the stock MFW-15. It's better to instead take that $800 and apply it towards the purchase of an $1800 sub? What if BOTH of your MFW-15's were to die, would you instead of doing the turbo upgrade for $1600, you'd rather buy 2 PB13 Ultra's instead for $3600? And we're the ones who are out of our minds?

I'd assume you have money to burn if this is the case but then again, if you did, I'd also go even further to assume this isn't the case seeing as how you have 2 MFW-15's.

you can easily pick up a used PB13 Ultra for around $1100.00 on audiogon. I'm just saying.
post #299 of 2629 Old 06-18-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:

you can easily pick up a used PB13 Ultra for around $1100.00 on audiogon. I'm just saying.

3 x used MFWs for $1100 would outperform a used single PB13u for $1100. Just saying.
post #300 of 2629 Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Is that with or without hum, overheating, fissure cracks, bottoming out and/or amps shutting down? Just asking..!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page