post #391 of 2662 Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehanzeb View Post

Yeah, mine are dual stacked as well so slightly less work to set the phase on them.

Although to add to the confusion, someone mentioned the Sub Distance should also be adjusted to get the correct phase, within the AVR.

I played with the Distance setting but it made no difference in the SPL output.

Anyway, so far I am happy with the way they are setup.

I believe distance has more to do with time delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2662 Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a v.2 around christmas do all the v.2's have the same phase? I've never bothered to adjust it because honestly I have no idea what it does. Although I'm searching the forum and googling right now. I read earlier someone said the v.2's are best at 180 degrees?
post #393 of 2662 Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

I bought a v.2 around christmas do all the v.2's have the same phase? I've never bothered to adjust it because honestly I have no idea what it does. Although I'm searching the forum and googling right now. I read earlier someone said the v.2's are best at 180 degrees?

Some receivers have a phase setting which could compensate for a sub without one.

Phase refers to offset of an audio signal. So imagine a sine wave, now shift it, and overlay the shifted one, such that there are peaks on one where there are valleys on the other. They are 180 degrees out of phase.

The phase control compensates for situations where sub is out of phase with the other speakers. This could lead to less bass, due to canceling.

There are places online which explain how to adjust phase controls.

Here's one (I did not read it) -

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...subwoofers.asp

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #394 of 2662 Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM

KlipschHead281, I just read through this entire thread since I just purchased this sub. I'm just wondering if maybe you tightening down the transformer is causing your loss of power. I really have no idea if this could be a problem or not, but I notice no one else tightened theirs down. I did a quick Google search on tightening down this type of transformer and it seems that they can be damaged by doing this. Just wondering...
post #395 of 2662 Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not a loss of power he's seeing (or hearing), it's a loss in gain. And as for over-tightening the toroid screw, over-tightening will only result in a loss of ALL power (and smoke!)

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #396 of 2662 Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Ok, like I said, I have no idea...
post #397 of 2662 Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Liked: 12
I have V1 amps and a V2 (mid-'09?) amp. The V2 is 180° out of phases with the V1s.
post #398 of 2662 Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
just out of curiosity...has ANYONE ever tried an aftermarket driver in one of these MFW's with the stock amp? and if you did, please post your results???

I still have my 2 palisander rosa v1's and they pound, but i also from day one had to back off my gain to keep the drivers from bottoming out on bass heavy scenes. I have them dialed in pretty well now and they pound the **** outta my house...never really had any problems other than the slight hum....

but i always felt the drivers were underclassed for these amps and that a beefier more long throw cast basket driver would have done wonders for this sub. I don't think the amps (at least v1) are underpowered at all..in fact i think they are overpowered for the drivers that ship in these MFW-15's. I have told MLS and av123 this before...but i never heard of anyone actually putting a different beefier driver in the stock cabinet/amp.
post #399 of 2662 Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post

I would get 2 Seaton-Sandbagger Turbo kits or even just one now (I know it would be 600 more than you were looking to spend for both) I upgraded mine and it was a significant improvement. I am talking not even in the same league

i'd REALLY like to see some numbers to prove this. some before and after turbo upgrade if you have them.

in fact i'm stunned that Seaton or Kevin have not release some "official" numbers to justify the upgrade. and even more stunned that people are buying it without any proven numbers considering the costs. i'm sure it is better, but how much better?
post #400 of 2662 Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

i'd REALLY like to see some numbers to prove this. some before and after turbo upgrade if you have them.

in fact i'm stunned that Seaton or Kevin have not release some "official" numbers to justify the upgrade. and even more stunned that people are buying it without any proven numbers considering the costs. i'm sure it is better, but how much better?

Hearing is believing.
post #401 of 2662 Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

Hearing is believing.

well i think i'm going to head over to Sandbaggers tomorrow to hear one for myself.
post #402 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

in fact i'm stunned that Seaton or Kevin have not release some "official" numbers to justify the upgrade.

I asked Kevin about this some time ago, and he brought up a very good point: Which amp version would they compare - v1, v2, or this new v3? And should they decide which stock amp to compare against, they would need to have one that was working exactly as designed so that an adequate comparison could be done.

Food for thought...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #403 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

I asked Kevin about this some time ago, and he brought up a very good point: Which amp version would they compare - v1, v2, or this new v3? And should they decide which stock amp to compare against, they would need to have one that was working exactly as designed so that an adequate comparison could be done.

Food for thought...

Why not just use any version or all of them if that were an option and just state what version they used. I don't think it's a very good point at all.

I'm definitely interested in the upgrade but I hate to say it, and no offense to Kevin or Mark, it still will make people wonder why they haven't posted the numbers up for an A and B comparison. Like they're trying to hide something. Even if they really aren't trying to hide something.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #404 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Wow. I hadn't been here in a while, so I thought I'd pop in to catch the latest turns in the drama - something like the big guy being jailed or something along those lines. This new amp... you've got to be kidding... Glad I've never needed a replacement. Mine has worked flawlessly for some time now. I'll burn my MFW in the back yard before I ever install one of those. Just... wow.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #405 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

Wow. I hadn't been here in a while, so I thought I'd pop in to catch the latest turns in the drama - something like the big guy being jailed or something along those lines. This new amp... you've got to be kidding... Glad I've never needed a replacement. Mine has worked flawlessly for some time now. I'll burn my MFW in the back yard before I ever install one of those. Just... wow.

Aside from the new amp not having some of the features the old ones do, and looking a little cheesy. They do work great so far for pretty much everyone. Seems as though only 1 person got a bad amp.

So if your amp dies and you'd rather not have a newer amp, I'll gladly take that MFW off your hands...

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #406 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I'm definitely interested in the upgrade but I hate to say it, and no offense to Kevin or Mark, it still will make people wonder why they haven't posted the numbers up for an A and B comparison. Like they're trying to hide something. Even if they really aren't trying to hide something.

yadfgp,

If you heard a Turbo, you'd understand the hype. It's not just the output that has increased, but the SQ as well. You also have the piece of mind knowing that quality components are being used and not the pathetic junk that comes stock on the MFW.
post #407 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM

I just take a pictures of my setup, one MFW-15 first model is in it, and problems at all for almost 2 years:

http://www.laneros.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=309

This is a page from Colombia, if you don´t know spanish just look at the photos xD, first is my previous tiny room and setup, and the others are my new setup.
post #408 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Which amp version would they compare - v1, v2, or this new v3? And should they decide which stock amp to compare against, they would need to have one that was working exactly as designed so that an adequate comparison could be done.

LOL, I love this.

Let me get this straight... there have been three different amps versions, and the specs very from individual unit to unit from what they are supposed to be within those three amp variations? As none of they older amps work the way they were supposed too anyway, there is no need to compare measurements with a new setup, as who knows what you had to begin with.

LOL, that is too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #409 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

yadfgp,

If you heard a Turbo, you'd understand the hype. It's not just the output that has increased, but the SQ as well. You also have the piece of mind knowing that quality components are being used and not the pathetic junk that comes stock on the MFW.

I agree, I have been using my turbo for a while now and there is no comparing it to the original. For any measurements to show the significance of this upgrade they would have to include alot more than pure output. I find many measurements useless especially for subwoofers due to room interactions. However, mark designed the original enclosure so he of all people should know what it is capable of without the rescrictions that av321 put on the driver and amp. That has borne itself out in my experience with the turbo.
post #410 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggallaway View Post

I agree, I have been using my turbo for a while now and there is no comparing it to the original. For any measurements to show the significance of this upgrade they would have to include alot more than pure output. I find many measurements useless especially for subwoofers due to room interactions. However, mark designed the original enclosure so he of all people should know what it is capable of without the rescrictions that av321 put on the driver and amp. That has borne itself out in my experience with the turbo.

well i have 2 original v1 amps working perfectly and i could easily either bring it over to Kevin's house or he could bring his modded ones over here to do a side by side test. i'd be willing to do it.
post #411 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

well i have 2 original v1 amps working perfectly and i could easily either bring it over to Kevin's house or he could bring his modded ones over here to do a side by side test. i'd be willing to do it.

Jinx that sounds like the best solution possible to shut the naysayers up. But they would still find something to bitch and complain about
post #412 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

Jinx that sounds like the best solution possible to shut the naysayers up. But they would still find something to bitch and complain about

actually i'm skeptical of the costs vs benefit as well. i'm sure it is more powerful and sounds great, but....at $700-800.00 i'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. of course, i would be happy to say it is IF i found that the performance really was THAT much better. it would have to be leagues better though.
post #413 of 2662 Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Aside from the new amp not having some of the features the old ones do, and looking a little cheesy. They do work great so far for pretty much everyone. Seems as though only 1 person got a bad amp.

So if your amp dies and you'd rather not have a newer amp, I'll gladly take that MFW off your hands...

It would be yours for the taking. Some nights, I lie in bed sleepless, wondering why it still works. What did I do to deserve this? Oh, how I wish I just had an excuse to take an axe to that satin black MDF box... Oh, how delightful, how liberating that would be.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #414 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, haven't had a chance to post responses to any comment's I've received. Sorry about that. I read them all just now and just wanted to first quickly update my situation as my other B Stock I had ordered came in today. This 1 arrived ok, unlike the 1st 1 which had the loose bolt that was supposed to be used for securing the transformer. Anyways, this sub that came in today, runs fine just like the other I got a few days ago. The only thing is though, on both subs, the driver bottoms out very easily. I took the time to level match all of my subs and got them to play well together, and set the phase just right as well. But when playing certain bass heavy scenes in movies, the 2 new MFW's will bottom out unfortunately. I have to dial down the gain on both subs to get them to where they won't bottom out. Meanwhile my v2 is handling these scenes just fine. I have to turn the gain down on both subs from the 1 o'clock position I had them at, to around the 11 o'clock position to prevent this problem The v2 is noticeably louder as a result, and the driver is definitely moving more.

Kind of surprised that I seem to be the only 1 having this issue with these subs with the new v3 amp.

Question : Could the bottoming out be caused by this v3 amp? Makes me wonder what results I might have if I were to switch the amps around between the v2 and the v3's?

Do I need to maybe ask for driver replacements for both subs?

Any driver will bottom out, new drivers will only do the same. Its been said before, these amps have a lot in the tank for the drivers, some scenes will bottom them out if you run them hot. I don't have any problems with bottoming mine out, but some powerful scenes do supprise me sometimes depending on the mix of the movie. Bottoming out has more to do with the suspension of the driver and Ex. limiting of the box.

I think you might be a bass head like me.
post #415 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Food for thought...

Quote:

Why not just use any version or all of them if that were an option and just state what version they used. I don't think it's a very good point at all.

I think they'r just being nice.
post #416 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Mostly it has been a lower priority for me as we work on the driver supply and kit availability. While I make a lot more on these kits than I did on the sale of original MFW-15s (that's not hard! ), this kit is more a matter of offering a solid, quality option to owners who want more from their MFW-15 than AV321 was able to provide. If Kevin wasn't doing most of the legwork, it likely wouldn't have happened given all I have on my plate with Seaton Sound.

Until we are confident in when we'll have a pile of kits available to ship out, appeasing the skeptics is of little concern, as those will be the same guys harassing us weekly and complaining why they can't buy one yet.

The irony is that all of you purchased the MFW-15 without such measurements, so all that really matters is the relative change. Kevin & I have described what the improvements are and what that translates to in real listening. We now have a handful of the first upgraders with the kit installed observing changes right in line with what was we suggested. My own MFW-15 has been Turbo'd and is at Kevin's so I don't have one handy to do the comparison. I *hope* and intend to have time to do a set of measurements on someone's MFW-15 vs. the Turbo version once we're set to deliver a bunch.

This kit wasn't intended to be an AV321 style bargain. It is intended as a premium option with very high confidence in delivering an obvious improvement in sound quality, performance, overall build quality, and attention to detail. Perceived value is always a personal measure. I had no expectation of Pure-Evil finding this to be a good deal when his reference point of value was obviously un-sustainable prices and quality from AV321. If he does find this of interest I take that as a very nice compliment to what is being offered.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #417 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

While I make a lot more on these kits than I did on the sale of original MFW-15s (that's not hard! )

Thanks Mark, I was eating my lunch at my desk when I read this and literally choked on a piece of chicken as I was cracking up!

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #418 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I had no expectation of Pure-Evil finding this to be a good deal when his reference point of value was obviously un-sustainable pricing and practices from AV321. If he does find this of interest I take that as a very nice compliment to what is being offered.

Mark...I never said it "wasn't" a good value, I said that I would like to see some numbers to show the difference. It certainly is not a cheap upgrade, but...it might be worth it to do. I actually think the the upgrade is very interesting....just not sure about the cost vs performance ratio ..but then what do i know?
post #419 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark Seaton... I guess my biggest question is why you can say the MFW-15 is not a performer when you were the one who designed it? Are you saying that AV1234 used a driver you didn't pick? changed the design from what you started with? used different specs? I'm confused here...so maybe you can clear that up.

I'm not saying it's your fault that the amps were faulty, but....as I understand it the cheap driver that is in the mfw was your choice as a "matched" driver to the amp...and IMHO there is NO WAY that those cheap asss drivers match or can handle the amounts of power that the mfw15 amp (when working properly) can put out.

Maybe you can clear that up a bit?

I'm thinking i'll order a more beefy driver to try in my working MFW-15 just for fun.
post #420 of 2662 Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Overkill in the audio world?.....No!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page