NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics* - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

gimme a break.

I think I'm just going to give myself a break from your posts instead.
Stereodude is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

You're confused or have a very different idea about how a product like the MFW-15 gets developed. None of the drivers considered for the MFW-15 had retail equivalents sold to the DIY community. They were all custom built to spec.

Lies! Those drivers cost less than dinner for 3 at McDonalds. They most certainly can't be custom!!!
Stereodude is online now  
post #453 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
jdskycaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have no idea what the cost of the MFW-15 driver is but what I can say is that when I actually took a look at it for the first time I was more than a bit disappointed in it to say the least. I purchased mine fairly early on during the first "XMAS sale" and paid $650 shipped for a satin black.

As I stated I can see the value in the Turbo upgrade kit but with my sub actually working I have a hard time investing another $800 in it. I will most likely just wait until it dies, hope the Turbo kit is an option or consider something that is available and significantly outperforms it for a grand or less.

JD


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdskycaster is offline  
post #454 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Oh no! Not a stamped basket!!! Quick head for the hills!!!

Clearly Mark should have designed in a woofer & amp that offered less performance but was more visually impressive. Then all of you would be happy and ignorant since you apparently watch your subs rather than listen to them.
Stereodude is online now  
post #455 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Oh no! Not a stamped basket!!! Quick head for the hills!!!

Clearly Mark should have designed in a woofer & amp that offered less performance but was more visually impressive. Then all of you would be happy and ignorant since you apparently watch your subs rather than listen to them.

not sure why you are getting so upset or taking this personally. it really has nothing to do with you.
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #456 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

right...so basically he's not willing to help anyone out unless he's making money on it. gotcha. even though the driver that was spec for the mfw is substandard for the amp matched with it.

First, even though I'm not a serious sub guy, I know well that Mark has helped plenty of people in the DIY community over the years. To say otherwise is unfair. Second, this is still how he makes his living. His knowledge is one of his primary products - giving it away is simply bad business. Third, while I've heard plenty of problems with the MFW-15 - both the various iterations of the amp and the overall assembly QA - I hadn't heard that the driver was spec'd to be substandard for the spec'd amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

i'm not asking for any free work, i'm just asking for him to let us know what one of the other, more expensive drivers they were considering that would be better quality were. just name one or two so we know where to look. but whatever i guess.

Actually, unless Mark has already for some reason made a close study of off-the-shelf drivers and identified such a driver, you are asking for free work. He doesn't have the answer already sitting in a file in his office. The design is now years old and was developed without any intentions of using an off-the-shelf driver, so there was never any reason to try to identify a driver such as you are requesting. Nobody has an encyclopedic knowledge of all available sub drivers and the ability to magically collate their capabilities with an existing cabinet and amp design simply by saying "which one would be better? Oh, that one!" He would have to spend time trying to find such a driver. Those hours are a valuable commodity for a designer, as they keep him away from other tasks that put food on the table.

My defense of Mark here is partly because my own profession involves providing services that are based specifically on my knowledge and how it is applied, so I can relate to how precious a commodity it can be and how easily it can be overlooked. Also, I find it odd that you've pushed so hard for Mark to provide this information. Why have you not asked the company that builds this sub for a recommendation? Why should a designer who has had no involvement with the product for years be expected to step in and help you for free when you don't expect the same from the company that sold the sub and holds the warranty (assuming your warranties haven't expired)? Why is it reasonable to object so vehemently to Mark Seaton's inability to produce a part number that satisfies your desires without expecting at least as much from the company that actually builds the thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

if they WERE expensive i'm sure they would be a lot less willing to just ship out driver after driver after driver to me and others when they blow up..which they do fairly often btw. and think about it...they sell the MFW15 for $300.00 at times...so you really think there is a $100+ driver in that sub? gimme a break.

First, common sense would have said that they wouldn't have shipped bad amp after bad amp after bad amp back when they had the batch of faulty units that had a dreadfully high failure rate. It would have been more cost effective to stop wasting money on shipping them (often multiple amps to the same customer for the same individual sub). Instead, they shipped and shipped and shipped. In comparison to that fiasco, the number of replacement drivers they have shipped is almost reasonable.

Also, they have been selling for at or under $400 lately, but they've been selling a lot of stuff at unusually low prices as well. If you look at their site, they have a laundry list of random odds and ends posted for sale, often at significant discounts from the original MSRP. Could it be that they're selling some things at a loss to generate some income before their former president goes to jail, even if they sell at little or no profit? Could it also be that they're selling some subs from Cali that they neglected to pay the factory for? After the questionable logic in shipping replacements that were known to be flawed, trying to estimate manufacturing costs based on the current pricing structure is probably not the best technique.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gonk is offline  
post #457 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
[quote=gonk;18935135]
Actually, unless Mark has already for some reason made a close study of off-the-shelf drivers and identified such a driver, you are asking for free work. He doesn't have the answer already sitting in a file in his office. The design is now years old and was developed without any intentions of using an off-the-shelf driver, so there was never any reason to try to identify a driver such as you are requesting. Nobody has an encyclopedic knowledge of all available sub drivers and the ability to magically collate their capabilities with an existing cabinet and amp design simply by saying "which one would be better? Oh, that one!" He would have to spend time trying to find such a driver. Those hours are a valuable commodity for a designer, as they keep him away from other tasks that put food on the table.

I ask because he has done this....

Why is it reasonable to object so vehemently to Mark Seaton's inability to produce a part number that satisfies your desires without expecting at least as much from the company that actually builds the thing?

I have done this to no avail....and because Mark was the one who designed this sub in the first place...so you'd think he'd know


[quote]
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #458 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
ok I have another question about subs...sorta related then.

If it is so difficult to spec a driver to an amp to a box etc...then why/how are all these DIY guys getting such great results? are you saying the results they THINK they are getting are not real? They are using pro amps, off the shelf drivers, and making their own cabinets and getting better results than pretty much anything that is offered commercially.?

I'm thinking of for example the build i just read about using a 21" Maelstrom w/ a Behringer EP4000 and a custom built box and getting incredible results.? in another thread on here.

Are you saying there are just that many sub masters out there? or is it actually much easier than it seems to be?
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #459 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhan1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: M. Tennessee
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

right...so basically he's not willing to help anyone out unless he's making money on it. gotcha. even though the driver that was spec for the mfw is substandard for the amp matched with it.

Sigh... Please reread Seaton's response regarding the MFW-15 driver. I have bolded certain sentences for emphasis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Without testing many parts separately it is very difficult to know by simple observation if a limit you are hearing is the amp or the driver, at least not with any certainty. Even with much more robust drivers the amplifier's capabilities sets a limit. If we put the same exact driver design as the stock Eminence driver in a sexy cast frame with pretty metalwork I'm sure you would be pointing to the amp, even when the performance would be the same. Many of the qualities many like about the MFW-15 come from the characteristics of the driver that other OEM's couldn't deliver at the time, or not for less than a multiple the cost. The driver & amplifier overload at similar points, and there wasn't budget nor desire for a whole lot more as it was already worlds beyond the performance of any other subwoofer previously offered by AV321.

You're after what might have been possible a $799-1099 subwoofer. While it took forever to finally ship, glancing at my early drawings, the MFW-15 was conceived ~4 years ago. It was a highly capable performer in the light of what was available on the market at the time. With many other companies rolling out 15" vented and sealed subs after the MFW-15's first showing at a GTG, I'm more surprised that it's still as attractive to buyers after all this time. It most certainly is a very strong performer in a few important aspects where there were not many comparable options at the time, and many such points of comparison were physically larger or very industrial looking, where size and aesthetics took some priority in the design. When not driven significantly past it's limits, it is a great performer for the money and size.

As you state, that's your opinion. A less efficient driver could "handle" more power and allow you to hear more of the amp hard clipping while producing even less SPL. There are many factors to be weighed in the selection of a component for a product and the OEM who supplies it. Simple dollar price and performance are part of it, but so are many other factors. If the other suppliers for the MFW-15 were as experienced, reliable and responsive as Eminence, this thread probably wouldn't exist. In retrospect I very much regret selecting Eminence to supply this driver as the experience was rather taxing on them and an embarrassment to my otherwise great relations with them.

"cheap ass drivers" are again a personal opinion. Parts Express sells a lesser driver with a 2" VC (2.5" on the MFW') for >$150. In my opinion you are overstating the value and capability of the amplifier. Yes, a more capable driver can offer improvement in performance or behave differently in overload. With AV321 still operating I'm not likely to offer up suggestions unless they are proprietary to me.


Life is good.
jhan1000 is offline  
post #460 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
 
floridapoolboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: florida
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm amazed that there are now 4 or 5 active threads about MFWs, MFW amps, and MFW upgrade kits. These subs are clearly the most problem plagued subs ever produced, made by a company on the verge of collapse, headed by a man on the verge of a prison sentence! Anyone owning one that hasn't had issues should thank his lucky stars, those with issues should either consider an upgrade kit or turn the damn thing into firewood. MFWs are the Edsel of the sub world, the company that made them is the BP of audio, and the man who led the company is the Bernie Madoff of consumer electronics. Someday, when the last MFW hums its way to oblivion, maybe the rest of us will forgive and forget..........or not! So many good new subs out there, goodbye MFWs.
floridapoolboy is offline  
post #461 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
jdskycaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

ok I have another question about subs...sorta related then.

If it is so difficult to spec a driver to an amp to a box etc...then why/how are all these DIY guys getting such great results? are you saying the results they THINK they are getting are not real? They are using pro amps, off the shelf drivers, and making their own cabinets and getting better results than pretty much anything that is offered commercially.?

I'm thinking of for example the build i just read about using a 21" Maelstrom w/ a Behringer EP4000 and a custom built box and getting incredible results.? in another thread on here.

Are you saying there are just that many sub masters out there? or is it actually much easier than it seems to be?

I think the DIY community does a pretty good job of building one-off subs which meet their needs and yes likely perform very well.

What you may not be considering is that for a commercial product to be successful it has to provide a few things that most DIY project subs do not like reliability, aesthetics, price/performance and most importantly a profit for the designer/manufacturer/retailer.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdskycaster is offline  
post #462 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
jdskycaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

I'm amazed that there are now 4 or 5 active threads about MFWs, MFW amps, and MFW upgrade kits. These subs are clearly the most problem plagued subs ever produced, made by a company on the verge of collapse, headed by a man on the verge of a prison sentence! Anyone owning one that hasn't had issues should thank his lucky stars, those with issues should either consider an upgrade kit or turn the damn thing into firewood. MFWs are the Edsel of the sub world, the company that made them is the BP of audio, and the man who led the company is the Bernie Madoff of consumer electronics. Someday, when the last MFW hums its way to oblivion, maybe the rest of us will forgive and forget..........or not! So many good new subs out there, goodbye MFWs.

This statement is just a slap in the face to those of us that purchased a MFW-15 long before all of the press and indictments. Even prior to Bernie Madoff's arrest

This was my first and only purchase from this company and only because of all of the glowing press that surrounded it at the time. It was pretty hard not to buy one when it first came out because nothing could touch it for the price.

It is nice that you can come in here and suggest that owner's like myself should burn a sub that is working just fine. I do not have any audible hum and my v2 amp is working for now. In your opinion I should turn a working product into ash?

Thanks man.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdskycaster is offline  
post #463 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I ask because he has done this....

He has helped people where he can. As he has stated, there are reasons that he can't help in this case. One is the effort involved in giving you a really good answer (research, etc.). There are others that have more to do with the business situation with AV123 itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I have done this to no avail....and because Mark was the one who designed this sub in the first place...so you'd think he'd know

"To no avail" is a common result when dealing with AV123, it seems. As has been indicated, both by Mark Seaton and by others, the information you seem to think Mark already has at his fingertips does not actually exist. He doesn't know. He would have to work it out. He certainly knows how to work it out, but we've already covered why that effort is not necessarily one that he needs to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

ok I have another question about subs...sorta related then.

If it is so difficult to spec a driver to an amp to a box etc...then why/how are all these DIY guys getting such great results? are you saying the results they THINK they are getting are not real? They are using pro amps, off the shelf drivers, and making their own cabinets and getting better results than pretty much anything that is offered commercially.?

I'm thinking of for example the build i just read about using a 21" Maelstrom w/ a Behringer EP4000 and a custom built box and getting incredible results.? in another thread on here.

Are you saying there are just that many sub masters out there? or is it actually much easier than it seems to be?

I haven't ever tried to design a DIY sub, so I'm going to have to limit myself to general statements to avoid stepping outside my first-hand knowledge. Still, I think it's worth pausing to evaluate the differences between DIY designed subs and production subs. There are many.

One is cost. The R&D for a DIY sub is free, or at least paid for with sweat equity by the person doing the DIY. The labor is equally "free." There is no packaging to produce, no inventory considerations for mass production, no company operating costs to worry about, no overhead to consider. A sub that costs a DIY person $500 in material to make would cost far more if it were being manufactured and sold because of those factors, even though economy of scale could allow companies to get a better price on individual components (drivers, amps, and even raw materials). A DIY sub should therefore be expected to perform on par with production subs costing quite a bit more, if the DIY sub is reasonably well designed.

Another is design. There are a lot of resources out there to help with design, up to and including complete designs that can be used. How well those resources are used to develop a good design will depend on the person. A 21" sub like you describe is probably abandoning the notion of WAF, while a professional sub designer will rarely have that luxury and will instead need to consider how to design a cabinet that is likely to satisfy a large enough group of people to make it successful in the marketplace.

As with any sort of design, it's more or less straightforward to achieve a reasonably good quality product with a little knowledge if you don't set too many limitations on your design. The difficulty level starts climbing rapidly once you start pushing the boundaries harder - imposing more rigid limits on cabinet design to achieve a specific marketing goal, considering ease of mass production of the cabinet compared to a one-off build, balancing component performance with small variations in unit costs to meet a budget that was likely imposed by someone else.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gonk is offline  
post #464 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

This statement is just a slap in the face to those of us that purchased a MFW-15 long before all of the press and indictments. Even prior to Bernie Madoff's arrest

This was my first and only purchase from this company and only because of all of the glowing press that surrounded it at the time. It was pretty hard not to buy one when it first came out because nothing could touch it for the price.

It is nice that you can come in here and suggest that owner's like myself should burn a sub that is working just fine. I do not have any audible hum and my v2 amp is working for now. In your opinion I should turn a working product into ash?

Thanks man.


I'm in the same boat as you...I bought it when it first came out based mostly on CraigSub's recommendations and price point...as well as asthetics. I still love how they look and i'm lucky they work fine for what they are...I just want to squeeze as much out of my investment as humanly possible.

I think FloridaPoolBoy was suggesting that you burn it if/when it dies...not while it's working. LOL
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #465 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
 
floridapoolboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: florida
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

This statement is just a slap in the face to those of us that purchased a MFW-15 long before all of the press and indictments. Even prior to Bernie Madoff's arrest

This was my first and only purchase from this company and only because of all of the glowing press that surrounded it at the time. It was pretty hard not to buy one when it first came out because nothing could touch it for the price.

It is nice that you can come in here and suggest that owner's like myself should burn a sub that is working just fine. I do not have any audible hum and my v2 amp is working for now. In your opinion I should turn a working product into ash?

Thanks man.

Read it again, I said you should thank your lucky stars! Sorry guys, MFWs are just really problem prone subs. If yours works thats cool, enjoy it. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, should consider buying one now, just not worth it!
floridapoolboy is offline  
post #466 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jimwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL USA
Posts: 5,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DIY'rs generally research the catalogs for what is available in OTS drivers (based on a concept of SPL and F3 that they desire), pick an AMP and then design a cabinet to extract the most out of the driver. Size (volume) is not something they have much control over.

Contrast that to the MFR who has a desire to build an extremely compact sub with an expected SPL and F3. He sketches out a box that fits the size/volume profile he has in mind and turns it over to his engineer. The engineer details the rest of the box construction, and can even layout the slot. Now he can fire up the computer and design a driver that will work in the scenario. Then he goes to the OEM's and gets quotes on the price and delivery of the driver he requires.

A bit different, don't you think? How many OTS drivers do you think will work in the MFR's sub and maybe outperform the custom driver?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
jimwhite is offline  
post #467 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

A bit different, don't you think? How many OTS drivers do you think will work in the MFR's sub and maybe outperform the custom driver?

in this case i think there would be quite a few
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #468 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

in this case i think there would be quite a few

Based on what logic? Why, if a driver was designed specifically to optimize the performance of a specific cabinet and amp, would you assume there to be "quite a few" off-the-shelf drivers available that would fit in the same cabinet and not merely match but actually exceed the results obtained with that purpose-built driver? I can't find an engineering justification for such an assumption. What am I missing?

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gonk is offline  
post #469 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Based on what logic? Why, if a driver was designed specifically to optimize the performance of a specific cabinet and amp, would you assume there to be "quite a few" off-the-shelf drivers available that would fit in the same cabinet and not merely match but actually exceed the results obtained with that purpose-built driver? I can't find an engineering justification for such an assumption. What am I missing?

based on information i have from..um... reliable information
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #470 of 2662 Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jimwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL USA
Posts: 5,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my guess is that someone is blowing smoke up your butt and clouding your "vision"...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
jimwhite is offline  
post #471 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

based on information i have from..um... reliable information

Perhaps your mysterious and reliable source of information can provide you with specific examples of drivers that meet your requirements? The other sources of information I've seen so far (including some pretty knowledgeable ones that have contributed to this thread) do not have access to that information, and in fact they have even questioned the overall logic that seems to have been presented to you by your secret source.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gonk is offline  
post #472 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Seaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 6,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

ok I have another question about subs...sorta related then.

If it is so difficult to spec a driver to an amp to a box etc...then why/how are all these DIY guys getting such great results? are you saying the results they THINK they are getting are not real? They are using pro amps, off the shelf drivers, and making their own cabinets and getting better results than pretty much anything that is offered commercially.?

I'm thinking of for example the build i just read about using a 21" Maelstrom w/ a Behringer EP4000 and a custom built box and getting incredible results.? in another thread on here.

Are you saying there are just that many sub masters out there? or is it actually much easier than it seems to be?

Most DIY efforts don't have size and power limitations. They make no consideration for over-driving, as they will build another if one is not enough. A hard clipping Behringer EP amp sounds just as bad as an over driven MFW-15, and also has a noisy fan which is still just a bit less noisy when modified. They are a bargain though. Getting good sound from a compact ported box requires a bit more finesse, and doing so with reasonable power even more so.

Larger boxes make lower tuning and the use of larger drivers easier, and can push the tuning low enough that you don't see as significant an issue from being lazy and not including a high pass.

Most DIYers also never take their subwoofer outside and measure what it's doing. That's not to say it won't sound good, but there is very little confirmation of the models and expectations vs. real measurements. Most move right on to the in-room response where you really can only see a general trend and the effective low corner. All of these factors make the task much easier, and having built it themselves with no one to warranty the result but themselves, DIYers are also more likely to turn the volume down when they start hearing a driver cry in pain.

A big Behringer amp, better drivers, measurements and external EQ with a high pass could make for a much better result than just swapping the amp. Most won't have the required tools, put that level of effort in, nor want 2 more external devices which have to be set up and modified before use. All of that and some more goes into the MFW-15 Turbo kit to make the result a rather well polished result, vs a kludged together add-on.

After looking at the possible options, the only end result I wanted to put my name on was a complete kit like the Turbo. I felt enough MFW-15 owners have already done enough try-and-see/plug-n-pray DIY work.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Mark Seaton is offline  
post #473 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Most DIY efforts don't have size and power limitations. They make no consideration for over-driving, as they will build another if one is not enough. A hard clipping Behringer EP amp sounds just as bad as an over driven MFW-15, and also has a noisy fan which is still just a bit less noisy when modified. They are a bargain though. Getting good sound from a compact ported box requires a bit more finesse, and doing so with reasonable power even more so.

Larger boxes make lower tuning and the use of larger drivers easier, and can push the tuning low enough that you don't see as significant an issue from being lazy and not including a high pass.

Most DIYers also never take their subwoofer outside and measure what it's doing. That's not to say it won't sound good, but there is very little confirmation of the models and expectations vs. real measurements. Most move right on to the in-room response where you really can only see a general trend and the effective low corner. All of these factors make the task much easier, and having built it themselves with no one to warranty the result but themselves, DIYers are also more likely to turn the volume down when they start hearing a driver cry in pain.

A big Behringer amp, better drivers, measurements and external EQ with a high pass could make for a much better result than just swapping the amp. Most won't have the required tools, put that level of effort in, nor want 2 more external devices which have to be set up and modified before use. All of that and some more goes into the MFW-15 Turbo kit to make the result a rather well polished result, vs a kludged together add-on.

After looking at the possible options, the only end result I wanted to put my name on was a complete kit like the Turbo. I felt enough MFW-15 owners have already done enough try-and-see/plug-n-pray DIY work.


why is it then that YOU sent me a message saying you tried different sub drivers only and did get better results..but you won't tell me which drivers worked? it's not like you don't know....???

I understand the benefit may be minimal, but if i can put a better driver in only and eliminate the driver bottoming out it would be worth it to me.
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #474 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
sandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mike

For someone I have helped in the past( recieving all those MFW-15's here so you didnt have to have them shipped to canada and deal with customs as thats what you do for a living) you sure are dragging us through the mud on this one.

I am sure the other drivers were custom drivers, so they wont do you any good either.

Even the driver I am using now, that is not an off the shelf driver makes some strange noises with the stock amp with almost no gain in output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

why is it then that YOU sent me a message saying you tried different sub drivers only and did get better results..but you won't tell me which drivers worked? it's not like you don't know....???

I understand the benefit may be minimal, but if i can put a better driver in only and eliminate the driver bottoming out it would be worth it to me.


Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
sandbagger is offline  
post #475 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unclepauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pure-evil is relentless...

dude take a breather/have a beer/get a girlfriend relax or something then come back and look at your posts again lol
unclepauly is offline  
post #476 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

Pure-evil is relentless...

dude take a breather/have a beer/get a girlfriend relax or something then come back and look at your posts again lol

He's living up to his name. It's not like this should be surprising.
Stereodude is online now  
post #477 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Jed M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark, since we have your attention, I have a couple questions I have been wanting to ask you. First, MLS confided in me as his bestest friend and told me you intentionally designed the MFW-15's to be cheap pos's, even though he begged for something more robust. I wanted to know why you did that to all of us? Is it because you are greedy, a jerk or is it incompetence? Second, my lawn needs mowing, could you fly out to Kansas and give it a trim? About 2 1/2". Thanks.
Jed M is offline  
post #478 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Yeah, I heard the most expensive component in every MFW-15 is Mark Seaton. The rest of the parts cost less than a steak dinner for two at Ponderosa. If it wasn't for Mark's unreasonable demands for payment in gold bouillon and the ever increasing price of gold everyone would have gotten a more reliable subwoofer.

ps: I got this from..um... reliable information.

pps: Mark has to come do some drywall in my basement before he can go mow your lawn to spec.
Stereodude is online now  
post #479 of 2662 Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Member
 
OnixMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kevin,

Have you ever heard the expression..."No good deeds go unpunished" ?

I feel for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

Mike

For someone I have helped in the past( recieving all those MFW-15's here so you didnt have to have them shipped to canada and deal with customs as thats what you do for a living) you sure are dragging us through the mud on this one.

I am sure the other drivers were custom drivers, so they wont do you any good either.

Even the driver I am using now, that is not an off the shelf driver makes some strange noises with the stock amp with almost no gain in output.


Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
OnixMan is offline  
post #480 of 2662 Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tesseract67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
3 weeks ago, I asked for a replacement for my v2 that started making noises upon turn on, a common malady with these amps. I was told that there is a delay, as AV321 is waiting on "a part". Meanwhile, AV321 is shipping new subs. Why can’t I get an amp to fix my sub that is under warranty? Bogus.

Are they waiting for KlipschHead’s faulty v3 amp to get back to them, so it can be sent to me?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

tesseract67 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off