24Likes

post #541 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I don't know as much about his or AV123's finances as you do, apparently..... The class action was just a thought anyways. Until people stop answering the phones completely up there though(however long) I assume there must be some money, unless those people are working for nothing.

UMMMM according to a few people in this thread they have stopped answering the phones and stopped responding to emails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

UMMMM according to a few people in this thread they have stopped answering the phones and stopped responding to emails.

I just called for S&Giggles they said they were not "answering their phones due to performing inventory this week."

Auction time?

Key ominous music, and where's my fork!
post #543 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

I have a an MFW-15 I bought in Feb of this year. I come to find out that the phase knob on the sub does nothing, it appears to be broken.

What would I get replaced if the phase knob does nothing? Does that mean the amp is bad? I'd like to get whatever it is replaced but I am having 0 confidence after reading the posts on here.

??

How do you know it does nothing and seems broken? Frankly the effects of the phase knob aren't going to be very obvious anyhow.
post #544 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

I don't know as much about his or AV123's finances as you do, apparently..... The class action was just a thought anyways. Until people stop answering the phones completely up there though(however long) I assume there must be some money, unless those people are working for nothing.

He's facing foreclosure due to default on both his primary and secondary mortgages. There are also liens against the property for defaulting on other matters. A civil lawsuit has either been filed or shortly will be in order to recover a substantial business loan (<$500K). He also recently lost a small claims matter. His various actions have attracted the interest of Colorado's Revenue Department. No one that I know of will extend him a line of credit. Whatever transpires this Friday 13th in court, will not exonerate him from the obligation of repaying approximately $150K due to the raffle fraud in addition to court costs, fines, and legal fees. So, you can try and get a class action going but no lawyer is going to get excited over pennies.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #545 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The financial circumstances of this company are well known and well documented. But apparently you don't know as much as I do about his finances. Although why you would seem to get defensive about it is beyond me. Nobody critized you for your class action suggestion. I just stated that, from my vastly superior knowledge, that there was no money to go after.

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures ...
post #546 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I just called for S&Giggles they said they were not "answering their phones due to performing inventory this week."

Auction time?

Key ominous music, and where's my fork!

Inventory of what? Dust bunnies?
post #547 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Now I am going to be afraid to even use all my AV123 equipment in fear that something will happen to it and I won't be able to get replacement parts. I have 850's bigfoot and a pair of MFW15's. I guess I will chalk this $3,000.00 loss up to bad decision making. I can't feel too bad though cause I did what I felt was enough homework to make the decision.

I never argue with fools cause from a distance you canÂt tell who is who....
post #548 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston View Post

Now I am going to be afraid to even use all my AV123 equipment in fear that something will happen to it and I won't be able to get replacement parts. I have 850's bigfoot and a pair of MFW15's. I guess I will chalk this $3,000.00 loss up to bad decision making. I can't feel too bad though cause I did what I felt was enough homework to make the decision.

It's really depressing and has kind of turned me off from the internet direct thing altogether. I was convinced by several posters here and elsewhere that AV123 was a great company and made great products. Here I am now with a bad amp on my MFW-15 and no way to get it repaired it seems. Zero chance in hell I will be able to convince the wife to drop more money on a sub after only getting it a year ago. Guess I don't really need any bass =/
post #549 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

"I never argue with fools cause from a distance you can't tell who is who.... "

I love this houston........ too funny.
post #550 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

Inventory of what? Dust bunnies?

Yeah I know, I think I saw a potted plant which has not showed up on their "b-stock" area for sale.......
post #551 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post

It's really depressing and has kind of turned me off from the internet direct thing altogether. I was convinced by several posters here and elsewhere that AV123 was a great company and made great products. Here I am now with a bad amp on my MFW-15 and no way to get it repaired it seems. Zero chance in hell I will be able to convince the wife to drop more money on a sub after only getting it a year ago. Guess I don't really need any bass =/

Pick up a spare amp from somebody who has upgraded to the Turbo kit. I just picked up a spare v2 amp from somebody who did that for $60.00 and a new v3 amp and speaker went on fleabay for not a whole lot more recently. There will be a flood of amps I suspect once they ramp up the production of the tubro kit. I know it is not a perfect solution (you should get a free replacement amp) but it is probably the cheapest alternative. My sub/amp works fine but I picked up a spare so I'd be ready for any eventuality.
post #552 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's one of the frustrating parts of AV123's implosion: because they are (were?) internet-direct, their failings can be seen as a stain on the internet-direct community as a whole, even though there are numerous other companies that have proven themselves over the course of years and remain deserving of our respect.

For what it's worth, the same sort of failures can happen with companies that distribute through traditional channels. Companies can go out of business and leave people with no way to get warranty work or other support. My father-in-law informed me a few months ago that he got burned by Audio Alchemy back in the 1990's (one of Mark Schifter's previous companies) - he had an Audio Alchemy outboard DAC and paid up-front for an upgraded model, only to find that the company fell apart before delivering the promised product. Audio Alchemy marketed their gear through dealer networks, not the internet.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #553 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate View Post

Pick up a spare amp from somebody who has upgraded to the Turbo kit. I just picked up a spare v2 amp from somebody who did that for $60.00 and a new v3 amp and speaker went on fleabay for not a whole lot more recently. There will be a flood of amps I suspect once they ramp up the production of the tubro kit. I know it is not a perfect solution (you should get a free replacement amp) but it is probably the cheapest alternative. My sub/amp works fine but I picked up a spare so I'd be ready for any eventuality.

I guess I will have to look into that. I don't know enough about this product to know the difference in the amp versions, or if I need one over the other, or if it matters. I am no audiofile, but I try to keep track of things here to save me from walking into BB or Fry's to get ripped off. In hindsight, that warranty from BB doesn't sound so bad now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

That's one of the frustrating parts of AV123's implosion: because they are (were?) internet-direct, their failings can be seen as a stain on the internet-direct community as a whole, even though there are numerous other companies that have proven themselves over the course of years and remain deserving of our respect.

For what it's worth, the same sort of failures can happen with companies that distribute through traditional channels. Companies can go out of business and leave people with no way to get warranty work or other support. My father-in-law informed me a few months ago that he got burned by Audio Alchemy back in the 1990's (one of Mark Schifter's previous companies) - he had an Audio Alchemy outboard DAC and paid up-front for an upgraded model, only to find that the company fell apart before delivering the promised product. Audio Alchemy marketed their gear through dealer networks, not the internet.

Ugh, that sucks to hear. I understand what you're saying, and logically I know it's right, but atm it's a hard pill to swallow. I couldn't imagine some other people that have multiple MFW-15s with problems, I am raging enough with just one.
post #554 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:

completely agree. i was aware of all this fraud drama since beginning of last year. but up until today, i still don't understand...why? greed? as far as i know, before the raffles thing started, online community seems to praise this company and business was looking good. reviews were great, prices were reasonable. ppl were so excited in their forum about their products. so what went wrong? of course i don't know the exact balance sheet of the company, but it just seems odd. the only reason that i can think of is greed.

anyway, back to my sub. i guess i can only find cheaper replacement for now for the amp. turbo upgrade is out of the picture now with baby coming in 2 months.
post #555 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:

It appears that others are having similar communications problems at the moment, I'm afraid.

i officially give up trying to contact them. especially reading from ppl who are in the same situation like me.
post #556 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ugh, that sucks to hear. I understand what you're saying, and logically I know it's right, but atm it's a hard pill to swallow. I couldn't imagine some other people that have multiple MFW-15s with problems, I am raging enough with just one.

It's justifiable rage - the company has left a lot of people in a lot of difficult predicaments. All I can suggest is that you try not to let AV123's mistakes rule out all other internet-direct companies in the future.

As for the amps, I've kind of lost track myself, but I think V1 was the original design (first production run was fairly reliable but sometimes required re-routing some wires to prevent hum, then later units experienced extremely high failure rates), V2 was the first re-design to address the failure rate issues (V1 amp from China was re-worked with some new parts assembled domestically to compensate for problems), and V3 was a recent change to a model that incorporated the controls into the amp itself rather than using the separate control panel. That last revision was the reason this thread was started.

gonk
post #557 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only thing that I have to hold on to is that I didn't pay so called retail for the stuff I bought. I paid more for my Klipsch RF-3's and RC-3 10 years ago than I did for my Rocket front stage. I can't help but wonder if I would feel better had I paid twice as much for the Paradigm's that I wanted.

post #558 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM

I have an idea. What if Seaton Sound/Motor City Custom Audio designs only the amp for this sub? lol. I'm sure there will be a good number of ppl like me who will be interested....as long as it's not $750....

I tried to find the amp everywhere and nothing. I think av451 forum is down...for good? maybe....
post #559 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mark Seaton has already stated he will support the MFW-15 if VA321 vanishes like a wisp of smoke in the wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

If they are no longer in business I will post a suitable driver replacement or two on my forum, or stock and sell one directly if that works out easier. The amplifier we use in the Turbo kit can be used as a premium replacement if that becomes an issue. In-box amplifier solutions are not something I can offer at the moment (certainly not for any less than the external amp), but isn't impossible further in the future.

link
post #560 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the site is down now too. Bu-bye AVXYZ
Now to hoping my pair of MFWs stay afloat.
post #561 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah Marks response was to me earlier in the thread. All I can do is determine how long the items that I purchased should last me for what I paid. I have two MFW's and paid about 900.00 for the pair (shipping is included as a cost of going ID). If I honestly thought that I would get a good 3 years out of them I would feel fine about my purchase but I can't help but feel like that is a pipe dream. Would I like a turbo kit...HELL YEAH but $750.00 up front is too much for me to handle in one shot. I would be more likely to get the kit if I could purchase the parts individually.

post #562 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston View Post

Mark Seaton has already stepped up and committed to take care of the MFW-15 should the need arise. The UFW-10 can be repaired with the same Parts Express / Dayton Audio plate amp that VA321 was using. The UFW-12 was pretty reliable (electrically) plus Sandbagger (Kevin) & Mark Seaton already have some solutions for those. Kevin can get a slightly better variant of the original amp should one of those go kaput (plus his version is actually set correctly and doesn't make obtrusive noises). If the driver in the UFW-12 goes Kevin has a few extra from people who've upgraded to the 15" AE driver, or you could go with the 15" driver instead yourself.

I'm sure you'll be able to get drivers for the Rockets as well. The tweeter in most models is a standard Vifa you can buy from Parts Express (I think that's it) or other places. There will be woofers pulled from damaged speakers (that are otherwise worthless) floating around. OnixMan (Hugh) has also offered to try to source drivers from Mr. Pu (MLS's original business partner) in China. So that's another possible avenue.

Where there's a need people will offer solutions to fill those needs. That's how businesses get started.
post #563 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Yup this is what I get when I go to AV123

www.**********
This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator
post #564 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I REALLY WISHED I could get some sort of an off the shelf type amp to fit or even fit with a new back plate etc.... but the reality is nothing else fits unless I do a BIG CUSTOM production run. We are talking HUNDREDS of AMPS and even doing that would not get the cost down much.

I am just throwing these costs out, but would you rather spend 300-400 for an amp with a bit more power but could still over power the driver and make it make all kinds of noises? or spend )

Both mark and myself thought at the time it made a lot more sense to develop the premium kit for those that didnt want to mess with replacing amps on a weekly basis.

The two of us are continuously talking about different things we could do for the community. So far we have not been able to find a stock amp replacement...... but we are still looking for new canidates but we may never find one, we might find something next week, right now though we dont have anything we could sell for $100-$200 that will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0bl0k View Post

I have an idea. What if Seaton Sound/Motor City Custom Audio designs only the amp for this sub? lol. I'm sure there will be a good number of ppl like me who will be interested....as long as it's not $750....

I tried to find the amp everywhere and nothing. I think av451 forum is down...for good? maybe....

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #565 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't be turned off of ID companies, one bad apple does not a basket make.
There are better amplifiers out there, no need to replace the entire sub, I have 3 AV666 subwoofers running different amplifiers and in my view they are better for it.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #566 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

I REALLY WISHED I could get some sort of an off the shelf type amp to fit or even fit with a new back plate etc.... but the reality is nothing else fits unless I do a BIG CUSTOM production run. We are talking HUNDREDS of AMPS and even doing that would not get the cost down much.

I am just throwing these costs out, but would you rather spend 300-400 for an amp with a bit more power but could still over power the driver and make it make all kinds of noises? or spend )

Both mark and myself thought at the time it made a lot more sense to develop the premium kit for those that didnt want to mess with replacing amps on a weekly basis.

The two of us are continuously talking about different things we could do for the community. So far we have not been able to find a stock amp replacement...... but we are still looking for new canidates but we may never find one, we might find something next week, right now though we dont have anything we could sell for $100-$200 that will fit.

I'm still in limbo regarding Version 3 amp I have, which I shipped and was returned as undeliverable. So it sits in the basement forever more as a reminder of my folly.

Anyway, I will be looking to you for the turbo upgrade soon, after I get my chit in order.

I'm glad somebody stepped up to the plate, thanks and I hope they sell like hot cakes.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #567 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the best solution for folks with bad MFW15 amps is to use the old amps and control panels as blanks to cover those openings in the cabinet, drill a couple holes and mount a pair of binding posts in them, wire the posts to the driver, and run an outboard amp. Figure a few dollars for the binding posts and whatever an external amp would cost - it should be a lot less than trying to build a custom replacement amp that fits the MFW15's non-standard amp opening. At that point, it could be similar to the existing "drop-in" Parts Express solutions for the UFW/ULW-10 and -12 subs.

gonk
post #568 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

I'm still in limbo regarding Version 3 amp I have, which I shipped and was returned as undeliverable.

When did that happen?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #569 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the response and explanation, Kevin.
post #570 of 2680 Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

What about just a driver upgrade?

The stock 1 seems cheap and bottoms out pretty easily

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page