NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics* - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Too bad AV123 was deceptive right up to the end. Advertising Heat sales was dishonest. How many people bought merchandise and thought there would be a company there to provide support?
spyboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
sandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Do you interpret what Mark (Seaton) said as being able to provide an amp other than the 1,000 watt Dayton that is part of the Turbo Kit?

From day one, I would have liked to find a reasonable priced amp to fit the stock location, but to get something to fit has been a challenge unless I order a pretty large quantity. It made much more sense from many standpoints at the time to do the turbo upgrade and get ~2X the performance as av123 was still doing warranty replacement for the MFW-15. Now that they dont exist, I will have to go back and start taking a harder look as to what I can do for everyone.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
sandbagger is offline  
post #633 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mak99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: seattle/renton, wa
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For anyone that might have been crazy enough to buy something recently from AVxxx, you should consider an extended warranty from SquareTrade. I've purchased warranties from them for certain items, mostly for used gear that I bought from Ebay or Audiogon.

It's paid off twice so far, one for a Cambridge Soundworks radio, the other for a high-end Yamaha universal disc player (SACD, DVD-A, etc) that suddenly locked up at the "Welcome" screen on powering up. Since the player was too heavy to ship back to ST for repair/inspection (20 lbs. was the limit, IIRC) and the local repair shop estimate was over $900 (wtf!?), they refunded my original Ebay purchase price of just under $200 and told me to keep the dead player. I eventually sold it for "parts/as-is" for $20 here on AVS Classifieds shortly thereafter.

So if you have a recent AVxxx purchase, you should seriously consider an extended warranty such as ST. There are 30% off coupons out there regularly, so worth doing a search for a discount coupon code.

FWIW, I bought a SquareTrade warranty for my MFW right after buying it, when all the news of MLS's arrest/indictment broke out. So if something should happen to it I should be covered for my original purchase price.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
mak99 is offline  
post #634 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Member
 
jerryhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fallon, NV
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sent my MFW amp there two weeks ago I hope I get something back, the old one repaired or a new one but more than likely I am SOL. Find a replacement amp or turbo this one.or
jerryhb is offline  
post #635 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveSatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Too bad we can't contact Kyle and offer character references as he searches for a new place to work. He was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and patient with me earlier this year as I asked him about a bajillion tough questions on the MFW before I ordered mine. His excellent customer service was the tipping point for me.

Kyle helped me a lot as well. But he screwed me recently. They owe me a version 3 MFW amp. Here's his last e-mail to me on 8-2 after another MFW amp died. He knew they were going under and not getting new amps.

My last e-mail from them after another MFW amp died:

To 'Steve Savage'
From: Tech Support/ av123 (techsupport@**********)
Sent: Mon 8/02/10 9:06 AM
To: 'Steve Savage'

Steve,

I really appreciate it! We will have amps in stock here this week

Kindest regards,

av123 Technical Support
p: (303) 543-7500 option 4 / f: (720) 494-1751
techsupport@********** / www.**********
SteveSatch is offline  
post #636 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I sure hope those who just ordered (if you did) products or are awaiting replacement parts dont' get screwed. I'm really hoping you guys get your stuff...but I have a very bad feeling about it.


Dear Friends:

It is with profound sadness that we are announcing the closing of AV123/Perpetual Technologies effective today.

We join in sending all of you our sincerest thanks and deepest appreciation for your support through these last 11+ years. Our history is rich with wonderful products and happy moments, all in the name of making great music affordable for all of you.

Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate. We hope that over time, we will be able to offer more information.

No amount of thanks on our part would ever be adequate enough in exchange for your past support.

Shortly we hope to be able to offer you more information about how to obtain MFW15 amplifiers should you require one. Please stay tuned to this page for updates. We hope to have this in place within the next few weeks.

In the meantime while we orderly wind down our business – allow us to once again thank you for your patronage and support through all of the times… both good and bad.

Respectfully yours,

The Team at AV123
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #637 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Member
 
g0bl0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

From day one, I would have liked to find a reasonable priced amp to fit the stock location, but to get something to fit has been a challenge unless I order a pretty large quantity. It made much more sense from many standpoints at the time to do the turbo upgrade and get ~2X the performance as av123 was still doing warranty replacement for the MFW-15. Now that they dont exist, I will have to go back and start taking a harder look as to what I can do for everyone.

i would like to hear more about this if you have any update....
g0bl0k is offline  
post #638 of 2622 Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

From day one, I would have liked to find a reasonable priced amp to fit the stock location, but to get something to fit has been a challenge unless I order a pretty large quantity. It made much more sense from many standpoints at the time to do the turbo upgrade and get ~2X the performance as av123 was still doing warranty replacement for the MFW-15. Now that they dont exist, I will have to go back and start taking a harder look as to what I can do for everyone.

Why not just block off the amp opening like with the Turbo mod but then just use a cheaper amp?

Just a suggestion..........

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #639 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mak99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: seattle/renton, wa
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Why not just block off the amp opening like with the Turbo mod but then just use a cheaper amp?

Just a suggestion..........

Well, maybe a physically slighter smaller amp, but not a cheaper one. I'm assuming you weren't implying an external amp?

I wonder how much an adapter plate (ie, "picture-frame" style) would cost that the outer dimension would fit the existing MFW plate amp opening, and an inner opening (maybe a 3/4" to 1" border, so to speak) that would fit another plate amp, either one recommended from manufacturer X's stock, or preferable one tweaked and sold by MCCA/SS?

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
mak99 is offline  
post #640 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
 
LilGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Why not just block off the amp opening like with the Turbo mod but then just use a cheaper amp?

Just a suggestion..........

What might be easier would be to just offer the block off plates (I'm sure Motor City could make a nice margin on those individually)- and allow the community to use other amps/drivers that end up working well. This would also give people the option to wire up multiple MFWs with a single external amp and have a nice clean interface.
LilGator is offline  
post #641 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

I wonder how much an adapter plate (ie, "picture-frame" style) would cost that the outer dimension would fit the existing MFW plate amp opening, and an inner opening (maybe a 3/4" to 1" border, so to speak) that would fit another plate amp, either one recommended from manufacturer X's stock, or preferable one tweaked and sold by MCCA/SS?

Best as I can tell, the opening is too short for an "off-the-shelf" plate amp to fit, even if you accept far less output. It's just too non-standard a size for anything but a custom-fabricated amp to fit into. The simpler solution might be a blank plate that had built-in binding posts on the outside and terminals on the inside for easy no-solder connection to the driver's leads. That would allow you to add any external amp you want, making it far easier to find a replacement. Folks with multiple MFW15's could even get one two-channel amp and drive multiple subs from one external amp.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #642 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Best as I can tell, the opening is too short for an "off-the-shelf" plate amp to fit, even if you accept far less output. It's just too non-standard a size for anything but a custom-fabricated amp to fit into. The simpler solution might be a blank plate that had built-in binding posts on the outside and terminals on the inside for easy no-solder connection to the driver's leads. That would allow you to add any external amp you want, making it far easier to find a replacement. Folks with multiple MFW15's could even get one two-channel amp and drive multiple subs from one external amp.

Exactly what I was suggesting! For the vast amount of owner out here who have multiple MFW's such as myself. The thought of having to upgrade to a Turbo is just too daunting. When we bought these subs we bought them because we're obviously either frugal or just cheap! How else can you explain so many people wanting to spend so little for something that can be so problematic. A nice amp like the EP4000 and a couple of new drivers would work great for those of us with 2 MFW's.

That's what I plan on doing if nothing else pans out with other options other than what is available right now.

No offense to Kevin and Mark please.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #643 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Newbie
 
mike.conway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A bit off topic, but my MFW-15 v2 amp decided to meltdown on the same day AV123 goes out of business - just my luck. Any idea what may have happened here and perhaps stupidly, can it be fixed? The scorch marks on the connectors aren't as bad as it looks. It seems it is just mostly glue/adhesive that melted due to high heat when the amp failed. The coil is another thing however. The LED still was working so the amp is getting power.







mike.conway is offline  
post #644 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KlipschHead281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I sure hope those who just ordered (if you did) products or are awaiting replacement parts dont' get screwed. I'm really hoping you guys get your stuff...but I have a very bad feeling about it.


Dear Friends:

It is with profound sadness that we are announcing the closing of AV123/Perpetual Technologies effective today.

We join in sending all of you our sincerest thanks and deepest appreciation for your support through these last 11+ years. Our history is rich with wonderful products and happy moments, all in the name of making great music affordable for all of you.

Sadly, recent events have cast a very unfavorable light on AV123 and have effectively sealed our collective fate. We hope that over time, we will be able to offer more information.

No amount of thanks on our part would ever be adequate enough in exchange for your past support.

Shortly we hope to be able to offer you more information about how to obtain MFW15 amplifiers should you require one. Please stay tuned to this page for updates. We hope to have this in place within the next few weeks.

In the meantime while we orderly wind down our business - allow us to once again thank you for your patronage and support through all of the times both good and bad.

Respectfully yours,

The Team at AV123

Well, this explains a lot, no response from Kyle, since no Kyle no response, I feel bad for him, he always tried to help. It might explain why the amp was in limbo and finally not delivered.

They had more sales for their next generation of Rockets, now we have to wonder how many paid for a set and the money is again in the hands of somebody there and product isn't being sent out that has been paid for.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
KlipschHead281 is offline  
post #645 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KlipschHead281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

Kyle helped me a lot as well. But he screwed me recently. They owe me a version 3 MFW amp. Here's his last e-mail to me on 8-2 after another MFW amp died. He knew they were going under and not getting new amps.

My last e-mail from them after another MFW amp died:

To 'Steve Savage'
From: Tech Support/ av123 (techsupport@**********)
Sent: Mon 8/02/10 9:06 AM
To: 'Steve Savage'

Steve,

I really appreciate it! We will have amps in stock here this week

Kindest regards,

av123 Technical Support
p: (303) 543-7500 option 4 / f: (720) 494-1751
techsupport@********** / www.**********

I will lay odds that Kyle got screwed more than anybody, you think he's getting a final paycheck? I'll bet when he sent that email he believed what he was writing because they lied to him.

I've been in this situation, the company tells employees via pink tag on the door without benefit of a phone call even. They drive to work wasting gas only to find out at the door that they are no longer employed.

I do feel for the guy and wish him luck.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
KlipschHead281 is offline  
post #646 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
WormInfested's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
dang. was kinda expecting this to happen for them to be buried 6 feet under but still all those people with the subs and unable to get them fixed if something goes wrong. glad i didn't buy one or two this year. for those with a working sub, hope it stays in perfect working order or near perfect.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
WormInfested is offline  
post #647 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KlipschHead281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anybody want an underpowered V3 amplifier for the MFW dirt cheap? Actually I'm going to save it, I may need a cheap amp for a 4 inch sub in the future. It can't drive anything bigger that's for sure.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
KlipschHead281 is offline  
post #648 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Best as I can tell, the opening is too short for an "off-the-shelf" plate amp to fit, even if you accept far less output. It's just too non-standard a size for anything but a custom-fabricated amp to fit into. The simpler solution might be a blank plate that had built-in binding posts on the outside and terminals on the inside for easy no-solder connection to the driver's leads. That would allow you to add any external amp you want, making it far easier to find a replacement. Folks with multiple MFW15's could even get one two-channel amp and drive multiple subs from one external amp.


I agree, but remember most plate amps are components of boards which are configured to make the layout mostly square. Those boards could be repositioned to make the layout rectangular without redesigning the nuts and bolts of the amplifier.

However whatever ends up being cheaper or more prudent is a differnt story.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #649 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveSatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Anybody want an underpowered V3 amplifier for the MFW dirt cheap? Actually I'm going to save it, I may need a cheap amp for a 4 inch sub in the future. It can't drive anything bigger that's for sure.


I could use it. My amps die with great regularity and I'm trying to keep three subs going.
SteveSatch is offline  
post #650 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

I will lay odds that Kyle got screwed more than anybody, you think he's getting a final paycheck? I'll bet when he sent that email he believed what he was writing because they lied to him.

Do you honestly believe Kyle was in the dark and had no idea what was going on?
JoshKo is offline  
post #651 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveSatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

I will lay odds that Kyle got screwed more than anybody, you think he's getting a final paycheck? I'll bet when he sent that email he believed what he was writing because they lied to him.

I've been in this situation, the company tells employees via pink tag on the door without benefit of a phone call even. They drive to work wasting gas only to find out at the door that they are no longer employed.

I do feel for the guy and wish him luck.

I agree. I was frustrated and venting and only thinking about myself. Kyle helped me a lot and I'm sure he got more screwed than I did. I apologize for my short sided statement.
SteveSatch is offline  
post #652 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.conway View Post

A bit off topic, but my MFW-15 v2 amp decided to meltdown on the same day AV123 goes out of business - just my luck. Any idea what may have happened here and perhaps stupidly, can it be fixed? The scorch marks on the connectors aren't as bad as it looks. It seems it is just mostly glue/adhesive that melted due to high heat when the amp failed. The coil is another thing however. The LED still was working so the amp is getting power.








Bro this amp is toast. Everybody with one of these should take a good hard look. With this amount of damage to the boards inductors etc, this was a serious fire situation averted. You should be glad all that got toasted was your amp, not your house, or even worse, harm to you and yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

I will lay odds that Kyle got screwed more than anybody, you think he's getting a final paycheck? I'll bet when he sent that email he believed what he was writing because they lied to him.

I've been in this situation, the company tells employees via pink tag on the door without benefit of a phone call even. They drive to work wasting gas only to find out at the door that they are no longer employed.

I do feel for the guy and wish him luck.

Yeah, the classic:

"You're OK"

"Everybody else is not OK, but, Your OK"

"Your not OK, Your fired, thanks for lying to all those that were not OK, until we had to tell you your not OK"

Corporate MO.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #653 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At least the shunt resistors made it
JoshKo is offline  
post #654 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

I could use it. My amps die with great regularity and I'm trying to keep three subs going.

There's a guy on fleabay selling a driver and amp for the MFW. I was watching the auction for both..... NO bids. starting bid 30.00 for each plus shipping. I was prob gonna bid on the driver, but day after AV123 goes out of business guy cancels auction. New starting bid 100.00 each plus shipping with description of:

"AV123 just shut their doors better buy this before they can't be got, they are getting harder and harder to find, get it while its hot, hot, hot, BTW I also hav some ULW-10 amps get them while they are hot too!"

Well maybe I embellished a little, take the quotation marks as a metaphor.

Classic opportunism.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #655 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,616
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Hopefully that's not a sign of what other V3 amp owners have to look forward to.
Stereodude is online now  
post #656 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Hopefully that's not a sign of what other V3 amp owners have to look forward to.


I think thats a V2. Right?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #657 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
SteveSatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw that too and laughed at his price increase. The term I came up with is MFW15 amp scalpers. There are some good people out there willing to help though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

There's a guy on fleabay selling a driver and amp for the MFW. I was watching the auction for both..... NO bids. starting bid 30.00 for each plus shipping. I was prob gonna bid on the driver, but day after AV123 goes out of business guy cancels auction. New starting bid 100.00 each plus shipping with description of:

"AV123 just shut their doors better buy this before they can't be got, they are getting harder and harder to find, get it while its hot, hot, hot, BTW I also hav some ULW-10 amps get them while they are hot too!"

Well maybe I embellished a little, take the quotation marks as a metaphor.

Classic opportunism.

SteveSatch is offline  
post #658 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I agree, but remember most plate amps are components of boards which are configured to make the layout mostly square. Those boards could be repositioned to make the layout rectangular without redesigning the nuts and bolts of the amplifier.

However whatever ends up being cheaper or more prudent is a differnt story.

You can have someone build a version of an existing amp with a new component layout, but that small production run will be very expensive - and the interior of the MFW15 leaves limited space inside for the amp's components because of the slot port, so you can't blindly go re-arranging stuff and know it'll work.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #659 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,616
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I think thats a V2. Right?

I don't know... I was just reading the markings on the PCB which say V3.
Stereodude is online now  
post #660 of 2622 Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I don't know... I was just reading the markings on the PCB which say V3.

It also said July 2009. That would line up well with what is generally called the "v2" amp, with the "v3" first appearing around May 2010. Or am I off? (Wouldn't be hard - poor amp went through more variations and permutations than any sub since the UFW-10...)

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off