AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Panties too tight kev?

You'd better be careful of he's going to wrap those panties really tightly around your neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2662 Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No...on my pioneer sc-05 receiver, it uses ICE AMPs. If that is what you mean. But I just have the normal A stock MFW15 in wood grain finish.

Any luck?

Just a quick question......does anyone know what amps are in the MFW15 from the purchase time frame of February of this year? That is when I bought mine.

Edit: Realizing what you said, I do not use an external amp....only the ones built into my receiver. Which are ICE AMPs for the pioneer SC-05.
post #723 of 2662 Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You'd better be careful of he's going to wrap those panties really tightly around your neck.

Hahaha. Somehow I doubt that. But it was meant in jest
post #724 of 2662 Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MFW 15 has developed a hum, and i went to the AV123 site to see that they are closing shop. Sigh, what now?
post #725 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
HybridHB,

Had to change this post as I realized I was giving you some bad advice. lol

Since the business has closed, its very unlikely they'll do anything to provide you with a replacement amp.

With that said, you could get on the waiting list for an amp/driver upgrade from Sandbagger for something around $700 or just say the heck with it and find another sub.

The problem with just buying an amp from parts express and hobbling together a way to make it work is that its possible that the driver is damaging the amp and after a short time the new amp will also fail.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #726 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

HybridHB,The problem with just buying an amp from parts express and hobbling together a way to make it work is that its possible that the driver is damaging the amp and after a short time the new amp will also fail.

I am curious, how could the driver be damaging the amps? Impedance too low? Bottoming?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #727 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I am curious, how could the driver be damaging the amps? Impedance too low? Bottoming?

Earlier this year, I got a replacement amp from AV123 for my brother's MFW-15. As soon as I installed it, it blew.

Several months later, I called AV123 about what happened and they sent out another amp(new design) and a new driver. Put them in and it worked.

Don't know how long it lasted. Donated it to Goodwill for the tax credit.

By the way, the sub couldn't have been abused unless its possible to abuse a sub by not playing it loud enough. My brother and sister in law don't play their system very loud at all.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #728 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

No...on my pioneer sc-05 receiver, it uses ICE AMPs. If that is what you mean. But I just have the normal A stock MFW15 in wood grain finish.

Any luck?

Just a quick question......does anyone know what amps are in the MFW15 from the purchase time frame of February of this year? That is when I bought mine.

Edit: Realizing what you said, I do not use an external amp....only the ones built into my receiver. Which are ICE AMPs for the pioneer SC-05.

V2 prob.
post #729 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 AM

Are the v2 amps bad?
post #730 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Jim

I highly doubt that he had a bad driver that would cause the amp to blow, instantly. With the track record of the amps, you probably just got another bad amp. Its kind of like russian roulette but with 4 out of 6 cylinders loaded.

Quote:

Earlier this year, I got a replacement amp from AV123 for my brother's MFW-15. As soon as I installed it, it blew.

Several months later, I called AV123 about what happened and they sent out another amp(new design) and a new driver. Put them in and it worked.

Don't know how long it lasted. Donated it to Goodwill for the tax credit.

By the way, the sub couldn't have been abused unless its possible to abuse a sub by not playing it loud enough. My brother and sister in law don't play their system very loud at all.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #731 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

HybridHB

I have a solution available now, but its more of a serious upgrade( 2X the output and increased SQ) and its not real cheap either. Look HEREfor the turbo thread for more info.

I am also working on getting a new amp built also that will be reliable along with a slightly better driver if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHB View Post

My MFW 15 has developed a hum, and i went to the AV123 site to see that they are closing shop. Sigh, what now?

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #732 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

Jim

I highly doubt that he had a bad driver that would cause the amp to blow, instantly. With the track record of the amps, you probably just got another bad amp. Its kind of like russian roulette but with 4 out of 6 cylinders loaded.

I was also surprised that AV123 sent a driver but when I went to change it out, I found the original driver's voice coil basically fused in place. There was no movement at all.

Would you say that in this case at least, the driver was responsible for the amp to fail or maybe vice versa. The amp caused the driver to fail which in turn caused the amp to fail?

post #733 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Are the v2 amps bad?

This is my take on this. When the V1 amps started going belly up, the amp module (a board) was identified as the most likely culprit. So, the module itself was redesigned (you can find pictures of both on this site). What happened next is interesting. Longmont had a ton of amps on hand that were suspect. But understand, amp in this case means the amp module and everything else circuit wise. So, they replaced the Chinese made amp module with the one from QSC Longmont. However, people who might've bought two subs or had two amps replaced were finding that some of the amps hummed while others didn't. To me, that suggests that the rest of the amp module was also suspect. You might get a good one. You might not. It's kind of like replacing a heart valve while overlooking that some hearts also had clogged arteries. The heart fails but why blame the valve replacement?

Regardless of what amp you may have, V1, V2, V3, it's important to realize that none of the amps were UL, CE, FCC tested despite any markings to the contrary. The markings were a ruse.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #734 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Ok

With adding in the fact that the voice coil had either welded itself, or the magnet had distorted the frame to the point of locking up the cone. YES that could and very probably caused the amp to cook itself.

Quote:

I was also surprised that AV123 sent a driver but when I went to change it out, I found the original driver's voice coil basically fused in place. There was no movement at all.

Would you say that in this case at least, the driver was responsible for the amp to fail or maybe vice versa. The amp caused the driver to fail which in turn caused the amp to fail?

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #735 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are the v2 amps bad?

It sure seems so. With the recent closing of AV321 it seems folks are coming out of the woodwork with V2 problems (I didn't think they were that widespread until recently). I know folks say they fail on power up but I still power cycle mine with an X10 module. I have probably power cycled mine over 200 times since I got it in January and it still works great. I think the heat kills them and they die on the power cycle but that it is not the power cycle that kills them (just a wild guess though). I have a spare v2 amp in case mine goes. At this point I am going to see what sandbagger comes up with for a replacement amp that is less than the Turbo. I might go for the Turbo too but I am a cheap b--tard which is what got me the MFW-15 in the first place. lol
post #736 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 AM

I had 4 amps go bad , last one I sent to AV666, guess what happened then. I happened to have an old amp(v2) sitting around so I gutted it except for the speaker connectors and filled the holes with a high grade caulk, fresh coat of paint and bought an outboard amp on Ebay for $100 and hope to have a working sub in a few days and then wait for the 'turbo' mod. Will keep board in the loop when up and running.
post #737 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are the v2 amps bad?

Well, I don't know if they're all bad, but a good rule of thumb is that anything that came from AV123 with a power cord had some problem (not always reliability though).
post #738 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well, I don't know if they're all bad, but a good rule of thumb is that anything that came from AV123 with a power cord had some problem (not always reliability though).

Is this really true? I have been enjoying my x-series speakers from them for over 3 years now w/o any issues whatsoever. Should I be afraid that they may die miserably one day just like my MFW-15 did? It seems to me that their quality started going downhill more recently as the dickhead in charge started having financial issues. I would really like to think that I didn't completely waste all this money on my system. I am not an audiophile and if the rest of my system goes up in smoke I will not have the cash to replace it. The reason I went AV123 in the first place was because of their so-called "value" for such a low price. The more I read about them the more I feel like an idiot. This is all really, really depressing.
post #739 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing that most of your X-series speakers don't have power cords - only products in that line that ever had built-in amps were the X-Sub and MFW15. Stereodude's point was that their electronics (powered subwoofers, X-Head, X-Amp, etc.) were most frequently sources for problems.

Danny Richie is buying up all the leftover parts for X-series speakers (drivers and Chinese-made crossover networks) from UniAudio and offering them for sale as kits through his company, so replacement parts should be available for a while if you do need them. Also, Skiing Ninja (Sean Parque) offers crossovers for upgrading them, which could serve as replacement crossovers if necessary.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #740 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post

Is this really true?

Yeah, basically. Every subwoofer they made had some sort of issue. Some models fried amps (UFW-10, MFW-15). Some had incorrectly configured amplifiers that made the performance underwhelming / embarrassing (UFW-12) [There's two fixes for the UFW-12 available here]. The X-amp had a hiss problem, the X-head had a hiss / hum problem. RDES sub EQ was a pile. The Perpetual Technologies P-1A had a really long wait (>5yrs) for those people who bought it hoping to get SOCS. The P-3A advertised 192kHz capability and never delivered it. There were the Emotiva related debacles / birthing pains. I'm sure I'm missing some other things from the list too.
Quote:

I have been enjoying my x-series speakers from them for over 3 years now w/o any issues whatsoever. Should I be afraid that they may die miserably one day just like my MFW-15 did?

No, because they're not powered from the wall.
post #741 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Haven't had any issues with my subs in my Strata Minis (3 years daily use now - knock on wood) so those 350 watt amps and 8" drivers are good.....so far.
post #742 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM

I love my MFW-15 when it's working, but I'm currently on my first V2 amp (after 3 failed V1 amps) and it recently started buzzing. Got a reply from tech support with RMA, so I sent it back and have been patiently waiting. Little did I know they'd be going out of business and leaving me with a useless MFW-15. Their web page says they'll have information on replacement amps soon. I sure hope so, but based on previous response, I have little faith

Short of spending 3 days reading 24 pages of this thread, what other alternatives are out there to replace my MFW-15 with?
post #743 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedshiftAVS View Post

I love my MFW-15 when it's working, but I'm currently on my first V2 amp (after 3 failed V1 amps) and it recently started buzzing. Got a reply from tech support with RMA, so I sent it back and have been patiently waiting. Little did I know they'd be going out of business and leaving me with a useless MFW-15. Their web page says they'll have information on replacement amps soon. I sure hope so, but based on previous response, I have little faith

Short of spending 3 days reading 24 pages of this thread, what other alternatives are out there to replace my MFW-15 with?

Look here:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post?id=4853297

I never argue with fools cause from a distance you canÂt tell who is who....
post #744 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I'm guessing that most of your X-series speakers don't have power cords - only products in that line that ever had built-in amps were the X-Sub and MFW15. Stereodude's point was that their electronics (powered subwoofers, X-Head, X-Amp, etc.) were most frequently sources for problems.

Quote:

No, because they're not powered from the wall.

Doh my bad guys, totally misread your point. No my x-series stuff isn't powered, so hopefully my anxiety over this will die down and they will last a long time. Now if I can get my MFW-15 amp issue resolved I can go back to not having to worry about my audio gear, aka "ignorance is bliss" stage
post #745 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If you need a spare driver for your MFW, here is your chance:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84989.0

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #746 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM

I looked around but didn't see anything else about this, so I figured I'd chime in... anyone else get a letter about creditor claims against AV123 and a liquidation sale next week? Presumably it's because I sent in two V2 amps a week or two before they shut down.

Per the letter, proceeds from the sale will go first towards rent/tax/etc, then to "holders of consumer deposit claims" (sounds like pre-pays?), then, if possible, to "holders of general unsecured claims."

There's a form to fill out and mail in if you have a claim, due by Sept 15th. I'm wondering if it's even worth the bother. I somehow doubt they'll be making enough from the sale to cover all of their more legally prominent debts and still get to me.

The online-only liquidation sale is Monday next week, and is listed on the auctioneer's site (Dickensheet & Associates.)
post #747 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugged View Post

I looked around but didn't see anything else about this, so I figured I'd chime in... anyone else get a letter about creditor claims against AV123 and a liquidation sale next week? Presumably it's because I sent in two V2 amps a week or two before they shut down.

Per the letter, proceeds from the sale will go first towards rent/tax/etc, then to "holders of consumer deposit claims" (sounds like pre-pays?), then, if possible, to "holders of general unsecured claims."

There's a form to fill out and mail in if you have a claim, due by Sept 15th. I'm wondering if it's even worth the bother. I somehow doubt they'll be making enough from the sale to cover all of their more legally prominent debts and still get to me.

The online-only liquidation sale is Monday next week, and is listed on the auctioneer's site (Dickensheet & Associates.)

Yep, got the same letter today. I also had an amp in for repair - v2 that developed the bad hum.
post #748 of 2662 Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well cheer up because you two will be able to buy your defective amps back for just pennies on the dollar!
post #749 of 2662 Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

If you need a spare driver for your MFW, here is your chance:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84989.0

Curtis, I only saw references to X-series items there.
post #750 of 2662 Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Well cheer up because you two will be able to buy your defective amps back for just pennies on the dollar!

LOL...mine was actually refused by someone there, so at least I get it back. It works, but it hums...too bad I don't have enough equipment and knowledge to figure out which component is causing the problem. I do know how to solder and replace it if I did
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page