NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics* - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 2657 Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Well running a thx demo disc and first impression..... Holy cow!!!

This eD sub is pretty amazing so far!!!! Deep loud tight and fast

Thanks for the quick update! Please when running this thing, keep in mind not only how it performs against 1 MFW, but also against 2.

Thanks and have fun

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 2657 Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I would say one eD a7s 450 is more powerful than 2 mfw's for sure. At least that's my impression so far
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #993 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Member
 
Bud84ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am surprised that you think the a7s450 which is only 800 or so is better than 2 mfw15. I am not sure why I want to get the turbo upgrade now that I hear this.
Bud84ro is offline  
post #994 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Making/not making a purchase based off one opinion is quite interesting.
JoshKo is offline  
post #995 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro View Post

I am surprised that you think the a7s450 which is only 800 or so is better than 2 mfw15. I am not sure why I want to get the turbo upgrade now that I hear this.

The turbo might be great I dunno haven't heard it but.... The eD is awesome. If your mfw us working I'd go with another sub if the price is the same. Just my opinion

If your mfw is dead that's another story

The Epik dual 15 is another good option that's getting great reviews
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #996 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Bud84ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah it is hard to pick subs based on other peoples opinions.. I bought a pair of MFW15's and they run fine but I expected more output based on others input.
Bud84ro is offline  
post #997 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud84ro View Post

Yeah it is hard to pick subs based on other peoples opinions.. I bought a pair of MFW15's and they run fine but I expected more output based on others input.

If they are not from the first batch I have noticed a lot less power. My buddy had the same issue. Mine are from the very first batch and they are very powerful

It is too bad the later ones sucked so badly
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #998 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

If they are not from the first batch I have noticed a lot less power. My buddy had the same issue. Mine are from the very first batch and they are very powerful

It is too bad the later ones sucked so badly

From my understanding based off of what murrel has said and Kyle from AV123, the amp got a bit more powerful more or less with each new version.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=907

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #999 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

The turbo might be great I dunno haven't heard it but.... The eD is awesome.

You won't have the bottoming out issue with the Turbo, like you are with your eD.
JoshKo is offline  
post #1000 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

You won't have the bottoming out issue with the Turbo, like you are with your eD.

Hey Josh

Thanks again for your old amp.

Did you ever do a shoot out between an MFW and your Turbo? I don't remember if you have 2 MFW's or not. I know the SQ is much better, and supposedly the output is "double" a stock MFW, but what type of numbers does that actually equate to? DB wise I mean. Also all subs eventually bottom out right? You could max out the gain on the sub itself and your AVR and eventually it would bottom out.

What I'm really curious about with the Turbo VS a stock MFW, is, the stock version you can't push it too hard once you've reached a safe setting for it. Cuz it will just bottom out too easily it seems. So if you have the stock MFW at it's highest safe gain setting, and then took the Turbo and put THAT at it's highest safe gain setting, how much more DB's can you safely get out of the Turbo than you can with a stock MFW?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #1001 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post


From my understanding based off of what murrel has said and Kyle from AV123, the amp got a bit more powerful more or less with each new version.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=907

I would say that is definitely false
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #1002 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, your welcome.

I don't have any numbers, but they would very from one persons room to the next. The Turbo eats MFW's for lunch, and then come back for more, but then again, it's not a very fair comparison.

I'm enjoying my first Turbo so much that I already have an order in for number 2
JoshKo is offline  
post #1003 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
murrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I would say that is definitely false

Pure Evil,

Do you happen to have all three amps? I have all 3 versions in my shop. A lot of them to be honest with you and I have rebuilt many V1 and V2 amps. Haven't had to repair any V3 amps. And i will tell you it is definitely not false.

Every V1 amp I have in my shop has a noticeably lower output than the V2 amps. I have had to label them as such so i do not send them out to a person who has a V2 amp. I also have some amps i would consider V1.5 amps.


Murrel

Murrel J Gray
 

murrel is offline  
post #1004 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

Hello, your welcome.

I don't have any numbers, but they would very from one persons room to the next. The Turbo eats MFW's for lunch, and then come back for more, but then again, it's not a very fair comparison.

I'm enjoying my first Turbo so much that I already have an order in for number 2

Well I have only heard good things about the turbo so I'm sure it's good. Glad you are happy w it.
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #1005 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
JoshKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you get the chance, you'll have to take up Kevin on his invite.

Nothing better than first hand comparisons.
JoshKo is offline  
post #1006 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Still waiting on that damn poor man's turbo...........! Can't wait to hear more about the new stock driver replacement.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #1007 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

When you get the chance, you'll have to take up Kevin on his invite.

Nothing better than first hand comparisons.

Oh I plan to trust me
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #1008 of 2657 Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NicksHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Still waiting on that damn poor man's turbo...........! Can't wait to hear more about the new stock driver replacement.


I believe I coined that...."Poor man's Turbo."

Yeah, or "True MFW-15."

Can't wait for the real thing, cuz the imposter is pretty darn good when its working!......
NicksHitachi is online now  
post #1009 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tesseract67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

I also have some amps i would consider V1.5 amps.

Murrel

I always thought that the second (when the problems started) V1 should have been called the V2. We should be up to V4 by now.

Think Mark and Kevin will call the stock replacement the V5?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

tesseract67 is offline  
post #1010 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Member
 
RedshiftAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did I miss something - is there now a replacement amp available for those of us who have failed MFW15 amps?
RedshiftAVS is offline  
post #1011 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
sandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedshiftAVS View Post

Did I miss something - is there now a replacement amp available for those of us who have failed MFW15 amps?

Kind of.....

Murrel is working on trying to repair one version of the stock amps, not sure how that is going.

There is also the TURBO kit that I am offering, more of a serious upgrade than a drop in replacement. I am also working on getting a new design amp to fit and then configured correctly to work with the MFW-15, we are also working on a new driver. More info can also be found over on my sub forum over on seatons

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
sandbagger is offline  
post #1012 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Member
 
RedshiftAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

Kind of.....

Murrel is working on trying to repair one version of the stock amps, not sure how that is going.

There is also the TURBO kit that I am offering, more of a serious upgrade than a drop in replacement. I am also working on getting a new design amp to fit and then configured correctly to work with the MFW-15, we are also working on a new driver. More info can also be found over on my sub forum over on seatons

Wow, that's a lot of reading. Bookmarked for later.

Last I heard, there would be a drop-in (possibly) replacement amp and a full driver+amp upgrade. Budget is a concern, so I'm in for the drop-in if it ever becomes available.
RedshiftAVS is offline  
post #1013 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Senior Member
 
murrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedshiftAVS View Post

Did I miss something - is there now a replacement amp available for those of us who have failed MFW15 amps?

Please email me and I can give you the options I have

Murrel
simplysound@msn.com

Murrel J Gray
 

murrel is offline  
post #1014 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Seaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 6,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I always thought that the second (when the problems started) V1 should have been called the V2. We should be up to V4 by now.

Think Mark and Kevin will call the stock replacement the V5?

Absolutely not!

Right now the new in-box amp is being re-packed to fit in the enclosure and then we'll see a sample. Once the amplifier sample arrives I'll have a better idea of the time line. We already built 2 iterations of the sample, and we are making some changes to the VC and spider to make for better performance. The new driver with the original amp will push the limits out to that of the amplifier. The amplifier we are sourcing will be much more advanced offering smoother response and a small bit more output. Subjectively the perceived output of the new amps will be more due to a much more benign overload behavior allowing for higher level, real world use.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Mark Seaton is offline  
post #1015 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
ProblemHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Absolutely not!

Right now the new in-box amp is being re-packed to fit in the enclosure and then we'll see a sample. Once the amplifier sample arrives I'll have a better idea of the time line. We already built 2 iterations of the sample, and we are making some changes to the VC and spider to make for better performance. The new driver with the original amp will push the limits out to that of the amplifier. The amplifier we are sourcing will be much more advanced offering smoother response and a small bit more output. Subjectively the perceived output of the new amps will be more due to a much more benign overload behavior allowing for higher level, real world use.

OK I am confused.

Mark in addition to the turbo kit you are going to be offering New/upgraded MFW's as well as replavement amps and drivers that we can Frankenstein our existing MFW's with?

I never argue with fools cause from a distance you canÂt tell who is who....
ProblemHouston is offline  
post #1016 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
sandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston View Post

OK I am confused.

Mark in addition to the turbo kit you are going to be offering New/upgraded MFW's as well as replavement amps and drivers that we can Frankenstein our existing MFW's with?

In addition to the TURBO, we are working on a drop in amp, and also a new driver. This driver is a drop in more along the lines of the stock driver, but with nicer parts(cast basket, poly cone and some other stuff). It wont get close to the Turbo driver, but should offer a nice little improvement on many fronts compared to the stock driver.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
sandbagger is offline  
post #1017 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
ProblemHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

In addition to the TURBO, we are working on a drop in amp, and also a new driver. This driver is a drop in more along the lines of the stock driver, but with nicer parts(cast basket, poly cone and some other stuff). It wont get close to the Turbo driver, but should offer a nice little improvement on many fronts compared to the stock driver.

Gotcha.

As I read more into this it seems as though I am in a strange spot here. If I reacall correctly I bought my first MFW 15 in October of 07 so I am assuing it is of the first batch of V1. The second sub I purchased was just this past May or June so I am also assuming that it is a V3. I have heard that the V1 amps are good but the subs bottom out. Then the V3 amps are more powerful than that of the V1 amps and who knows what sort of driver I have in my V3. I am so confused about what to do with these things at this point. Turbo, upgrade just the amps, upgrade to better quality subs, upgrade both amps and subs...

I never argue with fools cause from a distance you canÂt tell who is who....
ProblemHouston is offline  
post #1018 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
sandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston View Post

Gotcha.

As I read more into this it seems as though I am in a strange spot here. If I reacall correctly I bought my first MFW 15 in October of 07 so I am assuing it is of the first batch of V1. The second sub I purchased was just this past May or June so I am also assuming that it is a V3. I have heard that the V1 amps are good but the subs bottom out. Then the V3 amps are more powerful than that of the V1 amps and who knows what sort of driver I have in my V3. I am so confused about what to do with these things at this point. Turbo, upgrade just the amps, upgrade to better quality subs, upgrade both amps and subs...

The V3's do not use the upper control panel, and I honestly dont believe there is any difference in any of the drivers, but I believe they are very sensitive to handling during shipping. Someone just reported having issues with their V3 over on my forum, I have always wondered what was going to happen to those as they spent time in the field, guess we will start to see if this was a fluke or???

As far as the TURBO goes, its an amp and driver, not either or!!! unless you want to use the 1000w amp to launch the stock cone across the room

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
sandbagger is offline  
post #1019 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
personally if your MFW is still working I would just supplement with an additional sub from another manufacturer. then, if your MFW ever dies you could consider upgrading or replacing it. I don't understand upgrading a working MFW at all.
Pure-Evil is offline  
post #1020 of 2657 Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jimwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL USA
Posts: 5,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

personally if your MFW is still working I would just supplement with an additional sub from another manufacturer. then, if your MFW ever dies you could consider upgrading or replacing it. I don't understand upgrading a working MFW at all.

I was gonna say I agree, but I think of the upgrade driver is reasonably priced, I'll spring for it to go in my V3 box.


Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
jimwhite is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off