21Likes

post #1081 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

I would love to hear from any V3 owners out there. have you had any issues? if so what are they?

So far so good!
My V3 has been solid without any issues.
Runs very cool and no bottoming of the driver, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Liked: 20
so what ever happened to Kyle? Has he sprung up anywhere since the demise of AV321?
post #1083 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post

so what ever happened to Kyle? Has he sprung up anywhere since the demise of AV321?

Kyle is good no worries

Murrel J Gray

post #1084 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM

My V3 amp has been working okay, but the output is very low. Kyle told me thats how it was supposed to be, and he suggested I do a test by connecting my ipod directly to the sub. If the bass was strong then the amp was good, if not it would be bad.
When I did the test, the bass was indeed loud, but when I connect to my processor I have to turn the gain up about %75 to get the output of my last amp which died. Not sure why that is.
post #1085 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

My V3 amp has been working okay, but the output is very low. Kyle told me thats how it was supposed to be, and he suggested I do a test by connecting my ipod directly to the sub. If the bass was strong then the amp was good, if not it would be bad.
When I did the test, the bass was indeed loud, but when I connect to my processor I have to turn the gain up about %75 to get the output of my last amp which died. Not sure why that is.

You have to remember that the amps are completly different and the gain structure is different. The V2 amps got to max out put very quickly leaving most of the gain adjustment not even usable. The V3 amps have a much more linear gain structure alowing for a much finer adjustment and much less chance of doing damage to the driver

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1086 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM

So I am reading this new thread about gain vs. level matching.
Would you say that I could not do a gain matching with my two MFW's since one is a V.3 amp and the other is V.2?

Here is the thread I am referring to:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282064
post #1087 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:

So I am reading this new thread about gain vs. level matching.
Would you say that I could not do a gain matching with my two MFW's since one is a V.3 amp and the other is V.2?

Here is the thread I am referring to:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282064

Of course you could......read post 5 on the first page. When gain matching it makes no difference what subs you use in fact he states that with different subs you may have different settings on the amp. As with the v2 and v3 amps the subs may be the same but the amps are completely different.

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1088 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Of course you could......read post 5 on the first page. When gain matching it makes no difference what subs you use in fact he states that with different subs you may have different settings on the amp. As with the v2 and v3 amps the subs may be the same but the amps are completely different.

Murrel

Craig said this "This works for identical subs, and the level knobs should be at the exact same point, assuming the amps are consistent from unit to unit. It also works for different subs, but then you should expect different settings on the amps"

If the amps are different, which they are, the gain will be different for each sub. This means you could only level match right? Gain matching wouldn't work in my case because my amps are not consistent and not the same.
Sorry, I am just a bit confused and may be reading too much into this.
post #1089 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Craig said this "This works for identical subs, and the level knobs should be at the exact same point, assuming the amps are consistent from unit to unit. It also works for different subs, but then you should expect different settings on the amps"

If the amps are different, which they are, the gain will be different for each sub. This means you could only level match right? Gain matching wouldn't work in my case because my amps are not consistent and not the same.
Sorry, I am just a bit confused and may be reading too much into this.

Ok it can get complicated and there are many ways to achieve this (gain Matching) the idea of gain matching i believe is to send a set signal to amp 1 and measure its output and set that amp where you want the gain to be. Then do the same with amp 2 and so on. Now some do this with a digital multimeter some with a o scope and like craig with a mic.. Craig said he does it buy moving each sub into a preset place and measures the output with a preset input and adjusts the sub amp to get the desired level. And then repeats this process with each sub.

It makes no difference if you have 3 different subs the goal is to set the output to to match on each one of the subs. Forget all about where the gain is set on each sub as it can and will differ even on like subs.

Level matching is where your subs are playing at the same db level relative to where they set and where you take the measurement.

One thing I do know is the more time you spend tweaking a system the less time you are relaxing and enjoying you theater. Set it to where you like it pop in some media turn it up sit back and enjoy.

As far as gain matching the mfw just do what Craig did with each of your subs and see how you like it.

Go back and carefully read the whole thread maybe twice to absorb all that is there.

when in doubt pm one of the guys that has gain matched his subs I am sure he will be glad to walk you through it

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1090 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM

volta where in colorado are you? Im in Longmont

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1091 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Ok it can get complicated and there are many ways to achieve this (gain Matching) the idea of gain matching i believe is to send a set signal to amp 1 and measure its output and set that amp where you want the gain to be. Then do the same with amp 2 and so on. Now some do this with a digital multimeter some with a o scope and like craig with a mic.. Craig said he does it buy moving each sub into a preset place and measures the output with a preset input and adjusts the sub amp to get the desired level. And then repeats this process with each sub.

It makes no difference if you have 3 different subs the goal is to set the output to to match on each one of the subs. Forget all about where the gain is set on each sub as it can and will differ even on like subs.

Level matching is where your subs are playing at the same db level relative to where they set and where you take the measurement.

One thing I do know is the more time you spend tweaking a system the less time you are relaxing and enjoying you theater. Set it to where you like it pop in some media turn it up sit back and enjoy.

As far as gain matching the mfw just do what Craig did with each of your subs and see how you like it.

Go back and carefully read the whole thread maybe twice to absorb all that is there.

when in doubt pm one of the guys that has gain matched his subs I am sure he will be glad to walk you through it

Murrel

Thanks Murrel, that makes much more sense. I definitely agree that the point of having this nice equipment is to enjoy it. I really don't get wrapped up in perfection, my system is very modest and set up very basically. However, in the back of my mind there is always that voice saying "how can you make this sound better'?
I appreciate your help
post #1092 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
On a totally unrelated note.... ;-)
LL
post #1093 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks Murrel, that makes much more sense. I definitely agree that the point of having this nice equipment is to enjoy it. I really don't get wrapped up in perfection, my system is very modest and set up very basically. However, in the back of my mind there is always that voice saying "how can you make this sound better'?
I appreciate your help

Im glad because i was starting to confuse myself!

Murrel J Gray

post #1094 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

I thought it was funny to compare Kevin to MLS..which of course could not be further from the truth. Sadly, it seems as though anyone who has any association to the MFW gets burned or lumped in with him and av123. it was not meant as a slight towards Kevin at all.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think people who own MFW's greatly appreciate all the effort being put into fixing this situation. I know if mine had died I would be buying something from someone somewhere to get it working.

I would never compare Kevin to MLS, never in a million years. I was just stating that it seems they use the same ETA standards.
post #1095 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hz View Post

I would never compare Kevin to MLS, never in a million years. I was just stating that it seems they use the same ETA standards.

Nope dont use the same ETA standards, had I thought it was going to be this long to get more drivers, I would have never sent the first batch of kits out.

I just want to say, that I am not happy one bit on how long it is taking to get drivers, I am pretty sure I am more frustrated than most of you out there waiting

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #1096 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM

Amazing, two versions of the version 3 amp. At first I almost couldn't believe it, but then with the MFW15 amps how could there *not* be two versions of version 3?
post #1097 of 2647 Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hz View Post

But that's exactly how your original posting came across. Your second sentence above says the exact same thing.

I highly recommend you not use the names "Kevin" and "MLS" in the same sentence, unless you use the term "exactly the opposite" somewhere. Next you'll be implying that Kevin has made people prepay for a design scribbled on the back of a napkin after a long happy hour, like MLS most likely did...

Kevin, I'm gladly still waiting for the Turbo kit to become available. Luckily my stock MFW is operating fine, so I have the ability to wait with a working stock sub.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #1098 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Kyle is good no worries

Hey, that is really good to hear. Last time I heard from him, he was promising me a V3 (repeatedly in emails) I never did get one.

Wait, maybe I am still getting emails from him, machine gun rapid fire like, just like good 'ole VA123. Emails from another speaker company at my work addy. An addy that only VA123 had. The same addy that I used to ask repeatedly for a V3.

Think he is still following this thread?

Hi, Kyle.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #1099 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Hey, that is really good to hear. Last time I heard from him, he was promising me a V3 (repeatedly in emails) I never did get one.

Wait, maybe I am still getting emails from him, machine gun rapid fire like, just like good 'ole VA123. Emails from another speaker company at my work addy. An addy that only VA123 had. The same addy that I used to ask repeatedly for a V3.

Think he is still following this thread?

Hi, Kyle.

tesseract67

Is there a problem? Can I help?

Im serious email me if your MFW is not working

I cant give you a V3 I have to pay for them myself but there are options to get you running

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1100 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:

volta where in colorado are you? Im in Longmont

Murrel

Murrel,
I am in Aurora
post #1101 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Murrel,
I am in Aurora

You should have come out to RMAF and said HI

I was there all weekend

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #1102 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

You should have come out to RMAF and said HI

I was there all weekend

Yes, I actually was there, but didn't know you were in attendance. I would have definitely introduced myself since I am very interested in the MFW Turbo. I did pop in the room you were in, but I had to leave quickly since my friend was taking off. I never made it back in though
Had a great time at the show though!
post #1103 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehanzeb View Post

So far so good!
My V3 has been solid without any issues.
Runs very cool and no bottoming of the driver, etc.

Do you have version 3 or version 3.1?
post #1104 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 AM

[quote=tesseract67;19362406]Hey, that is really good to hear. Last time I heard from him, he was promising me a V3 (repeatedly in emails) I never did get one.

QUOTE]

Me too
post #1105 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Is "anyone" willing to share the design numbers (i.e. internal dimensions) of the MFW-15 cabinet/vent for those of us looking to available alternate drivers?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #1106 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Jim

I am working with Mark Seaton( orig designer of the mfw-15) to come out with a good custom driver that will drop in and work with the stock amp and also the drop in replacement amp we are working on too.

The driver is still under development, but we are making progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Is "anyone" willing to share the design numbers (i.e. internal dimensions) of the MFW-15 cabinet/vent for those of us looking to available alternate drivers?

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #1107 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Good luck Jim, better luck with info over on audio circle (gr research). They already posted the measured T/S parameters of the stock driver there.

It shouldn't be too hard to measure for someone with the time and desire.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #1108 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

Do you have version 3 or version 3.1?

Without taking the amp out, how can I tell ?
post #1109 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

Well gents, I got a replacement amp and I'm not really sure what to think. They weigh about half of what the others did and now don't support the seperate phase/gain/xover panel. Check it out...if some one can post them, I have no idea how...

http://img72.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1453l.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehanzeb View Post

Without taking the amp out, how can I tell ?

There is a hex hole in the center of the plate on the side opposite from the controls if there is a bolt there you would have a early version. 3.0

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #1110 of 2647 Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:

There is a hex hole in the center of the plate on the side opposite from the controls if there is a bolt there you would have a early version. 3.0

Yes, I see the hex bolt.
So, it is a V3.0.
Thanks!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page