23Likes

post #2101 of 2662 Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post

Just received my V3 amp recently and went to install it. Is there an easier way to deal with the bullet to spade connection issue than just cutting the bullets off the driver wires and slapping on some spade connectors?

Also, thought I'd share a pic of my old amp. It went out with a bang as you can see.

WOW! Have not seen one like that blow a big cap! That looks nasty..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2662 Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumLock View Post

Thanks Murrel! I finally installed my V3 amp tonight. Here are some pics.

Hi, thanks for the nice review and pictures. I have a question for you (or a couple) considering I'm a bit of a novice at any improvement project. Were you able to just clip off the wire from your old amp, and after stripping the wire down a little slip on new female connectors? Does it require any soldering or glue, and what kind of connector did you use? My MFW has the plug connectors and I am considering putting in an order for one of these. Thank you for your time!
post #2103 of 2662 Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 AM

No solder or glue. Just the spade connectors, wire strippers, and a crimper or pliers.

I had the parts and tools at work but I'm sure you can buy the spade connects from Radio Shack or Home Depot.
post #2104 of 2662 Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM

+1 for another successful humfix on a V2 amp!!

thanks Murrell and forum folks. Replace all 4 caps and amp still is warm to touch but no hum until only i increase gain past 12oclock.

thanks again!!
post #2105 of 2662 Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yesterday I won two of these for $400 on fleabay and will be picking them up in a couple of weeks. I've read through most of this thread so I think I've got a handle on what I'm in for. Both amps are V2 and the seller said he has replaced caps on one of them but that both do have a slight hum. In no order my questions are-

1-I'll probably have my brother do some sodering of new caps. Any preference on the PE Lelon parts vs the Digikey Panasonic parts?

2- If for whatever reason the V2 amps go bad, how hard is it to seal the amp cutout and use a pro amp to power them. Seems like something like an ep1500 would provide plenty of power for both subs.

3- I plan on stacking these. I've used homemade sub risers before but is it worth it having 200+ lbs of sub like this?

4- Looks like a Squaretrade would be around $70... worth it? Does ST make you ship the subs? Seems pretty foolish if they did.

Anyway very excited and scared to go down this road... at worst if they're a disaster by the time the Turbo's are more available I might have some upgrade money. Thanks!
post #2106 of 2662 Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Off the main topic, but does anyone remember which Parts Express amp was a drop
in for the UL-10? Thanks.
post #2107 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You want the 240-B amp....

You might be able to change out the power supply caps similar to what is done with the MFW..... I have had good luck. This is only for the older amps, not the new design

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra View Post

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #2108 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra View Post

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-804

Murrel J Gray

post #2109 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

This is the one you really want, it will get a better response
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-805

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #2110 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

You guys are the best. Thanks.
post #2111 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

This is the one you really want, it will get a better response
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-805

Yup - dropped that one right into my UL-10, no problem.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #2112 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
A little bit belated here but thought I would chime in with another glowing review of the V3 amps. Had it in for a few weeks now and it's been rock solid. Additionally, whether it's a placebo effect or not, it's seemed SO much more dynamic since the amp swap that it's nearly incomparable. Thanks Murrell!
My one annoyance that I'm finally going to get around to addressing is annoying sound coming from the sub. There's a rattle coming from the area where the amp is housed at certain frequencies when the level is high. I no longer have the little plastic controller box and the controller wires are fairly secured so I believe it's coming from some excess wire on the amp vibrating against the plate of the amp. Has anyone else experienced this and came up with a nifty fix?
post #2113 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTEnthusiast09 View Post

Hi, thanks for the nice review and pictures. I have a question for you (or a couple) considering I'm a bit of a novice at any improvement project. Were you able to just clip off the wire from your old amp, and after stripping the wire down a little slip on new female connectors? Does it require any soldering or glue, and what kind of connector did you use? My MFW has the plug connectors and I am considering putting in an order for one of these. Thank you for your time!

Quote:

No solder or glue. Just the spade connectors, wire strippers, and a crimper or pliers.

I had the parts and tools at work but I'm sure you can buy the spade connects from Radio Shack or Home Depot.

Yep, I bought mine at Radio Shack, $2 or so for a pack of 10. I went with the crimp on, solderless type and it was very easy. Just cut off bullet connectors, strip a little bit of wire, insert into new spade connector and pinch the entrance and you're done.
post #2114 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:

A little bit belated here but thought I would chime in with another glowing review of the V3 amps. Had it in for a few weeks now and it's been rock solid. Additionally, whether it's a placebo effect or not, it's seemed SO much more dynamic since the amp swap that it's nearly incomparable. Thanks Murrell!
My one annoyance that I'm finally going to get around to addressing is annoying sound coming from the sub. There's a rattle coming from the area where the amp is housed at certain frequencies when the level is high. I no longer have the little plastic controller box and the controller wires are fairly secured so I believe it's coming from some excess wire on the amp vibrating against the plate of the amp. Has anyone else experienced this and came up with a nifty fix?

I would first check to make sure the driver and plate covering the driver are secure. You might also make sure that the driver wires are not contacting the driver.

I am glad the amp is working well for you

Have a good day

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #2115 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

I would first check to make sure the driver and plate covering the driver are secure. You might also make sure that the driver wires are not contacting the driver.

I am glad the amp is working well for you

Have a good day

Murrel

Thanks Murrel. Actually, the first thing I did was tighten the speaker and the plate in front of it. I'd considered popping off the speaker but honestly, I'm a little hesitant to given my history with the assembly quality on this sub, i.e. stripped screw holes. While playing, I did notice that all of the rattling was coming from the amp area and can even feel the vibration of the rattling on the amp, but nowhere else. Fingers crossed that I can perform some decent cable management.
post #2116 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks Murrel. Actually, the first thing I did was tighten the speaker and the plate in front of it. I'd considered popping off the speaker but honestly, I'm a little hesitant to given my history with the assembly quality on this sub, i.e. stripped screw holes. While playing, I did notice that all of the rattling was coming from the amp area and can even feel the vibration of the rattling on the amp, but nowhere else. Fingers crossed that I can perform some decent cable management.

If you need help dont hesitate to call me.

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #2117 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

If you need help dont hesitate to call me.

Murrel

Thanks Murrel. Unfortunately, I believe that after a total of 5 blown amps, including one that burnt out so bad my living room still smells of electric fire 2 months later and dropping the moola on the V3 amp, the MFW-15 has finally beaten me. After wasting the evening playing around with wire management in the back to try and get rid of this rattle coming from the area right around the gain control, I $%#@%$# give up. I'm done.

I see a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EXs in my near future.
post #2118 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Murrel. Unfortunately, I believe that after a total of 5 blown amps, including one that burnt out so bad my living room still smells of electric fire 2 months later and dropping the moola on the V3 amp, the MFW-15 has finally beaten me. After wasting the evening playing around with wire management in the back to try and get rid of this rattle coming from the area right around the gain control, I $%#@%$# give up. I'm done.

I still think you should call me tomorrow.

Murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #2119 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

check the nuts behind the knobs they can vibrate loose

murrel

Murrel J Gray

post #2120 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post

Yesterday I won two of these for $400 on fleabay and will be picking them up in a couple of weeks. I've read through most of this thread so I think I've got a handle on what I'm in for. Both amps are V2 and the seller said he has replaced caps on one of them but that both do have a slight hum. In no order my questions are-
4- Looks like a Squaretrade would be around $70... worth it? Does ST make you ship the subs? Seems pretty foolish if they did.
Anyway very excited and scared to go down this road... at worst if they're a disaster by the time the Turbo's are more available I might have some upgrade money. Thanks!

I'd recommend you buy a SquareTrade warranty - I did so when I bought my open box MFW back in Feb 2010 for $499. The sub died about a year later (humming), and they refunded me the money when I filed my claim. I did call to explain the situation (AV123 closed, only MCCA had the upgrade kit at that time), and sent them appropriate webpage links and filled out the affidavit. Since the item was over 20# (I think that's their "ship it in" limit), they refunded my original purchase price and told me to just keep the dead sub.

I then used that money towards the Turbo kit right away as Kevin was shipping Kits at that time...so only cost me another ~$300 out of my pocket. Absolutely no regrets about that upgrade - beats the snot out of the stock MFW !!

ST was absolutely great to deal with, and have only filed one other claim in all the warranties I've bought from them over the years - they delivered as promised.

Go ST or go home! BTW, there's usually coupons out there to get a good discount on the warranties. I have a code handy for 35% off, if you want - just PM me...expires 1/6/12.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #2121 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

I still think you should call me tomorrow.

Murrel

Quote:

check the nuts behind the knobs they can vibrate loose

murrel

I'll definitely give you a ring tomorrow, thanks for being so helpful. Unfortunately, I'd already tightened the knob backing nuts along with every screw on the thing.

Talk to ya tomorrow and thanks again.
post #2122 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I'll definitely give you a ring tomorrow, thanks for being so helpful. Unfortunately, I'd already tightened the knob backing nuts along with every screw on the thing.

Talk to ya tomorrow and thanks again.

Anytime after 8am MST

Murrel J Gray

post #2123 of 2662 Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:

I $%#@%$# give up. I'm done.

That's the attitude! I'll do you a favor and take in your old MFW.
post #2124 of 2662 Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Yep, I bought mine at Radio Shack, $2 or so for a pack of 10. I went with the crimp on, solderless type and it was very easy. Just cut off bullet connectors, strip a little bit of wire, insert into new spade connector and pinch the entrance and you're done.

Thanks and thank you Numlock! I talked to Murrel (cool guy) and I'm looking forward to getting a V3.
post #2125 of 2662 Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

It'll be up for sale in a few months.
post #2126 of 2662 Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Just a FYI, I have a black satin with a v.2 amp for sale. PM me if you want details
post #2127 of 2662 Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Anyone with a used V3 amp for sale? My version 1 finally bit the dust. I have three other MFWs all running version 3 amps and they are great amps!
post #2128 of 2662 Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post

Anyone with a used V3 amp for sale? My version 1 finally bit the dust. I have three other MFWs all running version 3 amps and they are great amps!

I have a few V2 with the cap fix available

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
post #2129 of 2662 Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

I have been a member of this board for quite a while now and time and time again you guys come through for me. esp Murrel this time!

I had 2 MFWs down for almost a month and bumped into this thread, two days later + 8 caps and up and running like nothing happened. woot.

When these die, Ill definitely be upgrading to the V3.

Again, thank you all.

Sub
post #2130 of 2662 Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a broke MFW-15 amp I will sell... make offer ! I bought it on ebay and the issue was hum. I replaced the caps. Before I replaced them there was no hum but also no sound, after I replaced caps... same thing. No Hum no sound. The amp does turn on. I think the PS is good. It looks good as well. Clean, no scratches etc. Maybe someone could use this for parts....

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List