23Likes

post #2641 of 2662 Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
How do you like your Gramma [I think that's what your subwoofer stand is]? Right now I'm flat on concrete -> pad -> carpet. Wondering if getting it a little bit off the ground would make much difference.
I bought the GRAMMA primarily to make sure my neighbors don't come knocking at my door, but it definitely makes a positive difference to the sound quality as well. The before / after difference in terms of decoupling from the rest of the house is very noticeable. I've not needed (so far) to address any specific rattling of household objects for example, and "boominess" in general is reduced. I attribute that mainly to the GRAMMA, but then again I don't run my system to anywhere close to reference that often.

On the other hand, if you have wood floors and like to feel your couch vibrate under you, then it might be a bit of a killjoy. I'm not sure what difference it would make on concrete, as I'm guessing the mass involved there already gives you a good deal of decoupling from the rest of your place (as opposed to a wood subfloor). Do a search - there are loads of threads on this topic already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2662 Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
On the other hand, if you have wood floors and like to feel your couch vibrate under you, then it might be a bit of a killjoy. I'm not sure what difference it would make on concrete, as I'm guessing the mass involved there already gives you a good deal of decoupling from the rest of your place (as opposed to a wood subfloor). Do a search - there are loads of threads on this topic already.
At the old house, the Turbo was sitting on slab-on-grade concrete (w/ carpet/pad) in the finished basement, and vibrated the seats plenty during some movies. This was with the Turbo against the right wall facing towards the rear of the room - there might be some pictures over in the Seaton forums or on various MFW threads here. The sub sat directly on the carpet - no Gramma or pads of any kind.

At my current house, it's on a carpeted, suspended wood floor above the crawl space. The sub is behind the seats in the right rear corner, facing left. There's definitely plenty of vibrations in the seats, and I rarely play the system at reference levels, usually between -10dB to -15dB. Some discs are more "subby" than others, of course. Pacific Rim was one of those movies where the Turbo was pounding out the bass so fiercely that at the end of the movie I was physically exhausted from being knocked around in my chair like it was a roller coaster ride...

And unlike tebling - with my basement media room location in my house and the adjacent house locations, this allows me to set the volume wherever I happen to need it. I'm quite lucky regarding this...

I wonder if adding a Gramma or some isolation pads at the corners of the sub might produce any noticeable improvements...hard to imagine the Turbo sounding much better than it already does! Maybe tebling will have an open house sometime so some of us locals can check it out his new gear? <cough, cough>
sandbagger likes this.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet

Last edited by mak99; 07-28-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: awkward wording?
post #2643 of 2662 Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post
Maybe tebling will have an open house sometime so some of us locals can check it out his new gear? <cough, cough>
My HT isn't really show worthy at the moment (my Axiom QS8s are sitting on windowsills, gah!) but I'll tell you what... I'll bring my "new" sub, amp, and gramma to *your* place the next rainy weekend we're both free! Dual turbos and 1x gramma for testing! You bring the popcorn and movie

post #2644 of 2662 Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
My HT isn't really show worthy at the moment (my Axiom QS8s are sitting on windowsills, gah!) but I'll tell you what... I'll bring my "new" sub, amp, and gramma to *your* place the next rainy weekend we're both free! Dual turbos and 1x gramma for testing! You bring the popcorn and movie
Well, I keep threatening to host a GTG one day - maybe this will finally convince me to do so. Maybe we could convince Mark and/or Kevin to fly out here to make sure the subs are set up correctly? <cough, cough x2>

Quote:
...the next rainy weekend...
Sorry, this coming weekend is too soon! (That's a Seattle-area joke for you non-locals... )

FREE TIBET! *
post #2645 of 2662 Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Watched The Book Thief last night. The scene with the air-raid over Germany. Wow - I've never had so much bass in my house.

I need to do something about that blue light on the Dayton amp. It's the brightest light on my rack by far! I've ordered some lightdims. Hopefully that helps.
sandbagger likes this.
post #2646 of 2662 Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Glad your enjoying it

I am kind of surprised that over the years I havent seen/had more complaints about that bright blue light.

Quote:
Watched The Book Thief last night. The scene with the air-raid over Germany. Wow - I've never had so much bass in my house.

I need to do something about that blue light on the Dayton amp. It's the brightest light on my rack by far! I've ordered some lightdims. Hopefully that helps.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #2647 of 2662 Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM

I will post my impressions of those lightdims when I get them. We'll see how well they work on the Dayton - the LED sticks out so I'm not sure.

I could use some electrical tape, but I do want to see some indication everything's on and working.
post #2648 of 2662 Old 08-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello fellow MFW hum victims!

I pre-ordered and bought a pair of MFW-15, so I assume mine are V1. If so, does anyone have instructions for cap replacements for the v1? After searching here I found instructions for v2 fix, but not for v1. Would appreciate if someone can point me to it? Thanks much.

Details: my sub hums when power is on or standby (but not on off) even without lfe feed. Its been like that for a while and is lying unused.
post #2649 of 2662 Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM

The fix is the same on the V1. It is just not as likely to be the issue with V1 amps as they had an issue with the output boards humming also.

So replace the caps and let's hope that fixes your sub!

Good luck!
Murrel
sandbagger likes this.

Murrel J Gray

post #2650 of 2662 Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post
The fix is the same on the V1. It is just not as likely to be the issue with V1 amps as they had an issue with the output boards humming also.

So replace the caps and let's hope that fixes your sub!

Good luck!
Murrel
Thanks Murrel. If it happens to be output boards, is there a diy fix? Btw, do you know if the any pre-order mfw-15 received v2?

TIA!
post #2651 of 2662 Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 PM

No fix for the output boards but yes I had two of the first run MFW subs and one was a V1 and the other was a V2

Let me know if I can help

Murrel J Gray

post #2652 of 2662 Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
No fix for the output boards but yes I had two of the first run MFW subs and one was a V1 and the other was a V2

Let me know if I can help
Hi, looks like my caps listed in the repair sheet are ok, however the cap marked as C1 (please see attached) is busted. Does anyone know the specs for this cap? I saw a number of them on the same board. Also, if it helps, on my board I see MFW-15_POWR v2.1. *sigh* I already removed C2 and C3 per instruction sheet even without looking at them - they don't look busted at all. My bad, live and learn!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140823_140524.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	225897  
post #2653 of 2662 Old 08-23-2014, 12:34 PM

.1uf 50 volt ceramic disc. Very common avalible at radio shack
post #2654 of 2662 Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
.1uf 50 volt ceramic disc. Very common avalible at radio shack
Thanks much! - heading to the shack or fry's...
murrel likes this.
post #2655 of 2662 Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I will post my impressions of those lightdims when I get them. We'll see how well they work on the Dayton - the LED sticks out so I'm not sure.

I could use some electrical tape, but I do want to see some indication everything's on and working.
So what's your opinion of the lightdims?

Tebling, still need to figure out when a dual-Turbo listening session could be scheduled at my house, haven't forgotten about this! Just need to build/buy some sound panels for my music room, then try to get a local GTG scheduled...

Nikbert, good luck w/your fix!

FREE TIBET! *

Last edited by mak99; 08-23-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: adders...
post #2656 of 2662 Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post
So what's your opinion of the lightdims?
They do what they're supposed to I'd say the LED is >50% dimmer now and is the appropriate brightness. I wish it was that way from the factory. The amp no longer lights up my whole theater!

The only negative was, as I expected, the fit isn't the greatest since the bulb isn't flush with the amp face plate. You can only tell if your face is right next to the amp, however.

I'm happy with my purchase.
post #2657 of 2662 Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Well, my fix didn't work, it didn't even reduce the hum a bit. For all that I know it may be my soldering!
Anyway, what are my options here? For cost reasons, I'm not planning on buying a new sub or buying the turbo. Are there any cheaper options? Thanks again everyone for the help.
post #2658 of 2662 Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I was in the basement today and found my old MFW-15 sitting collecting dust. It developed the hum a long time ago and was pulled out of the theater and into solitary confinement. I have been clearing out some old equipment on ebay the last couple of weeks to try and fund some upgrades so I dragged this heavy a$$ thing upstairs to take a look. I plugged it in and of course the hum. I played around with it a couple minutes. Not sure what I did, but all of a sudden the hum went away. SO I hooked it up and for the moment it is actually working! I am sure it will start humming again, but for the moment I have a beast of a sub in my little 2 channel setup. The cabinet is actually in decent shape too. I am pretty sure I will be back looking for hum fix any day now, but for the moment things are good!

Mark-
post #2659 of 2662 Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
^This is common with caps failing. If you leave it in the "on" state it might function for a while without issue.

However, your gonna need the cap fix eventually.
post #2660 of 2662 Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I am afraid of that. Is it hard to fix?

Mark-
post #2661 of 2662 Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Its not that bad, just 4 caps that are fairly easy to swap.

If you need the directions they are in this thread or email me and I can send them

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Yeah I am afraid of that. Is it hard to fix?

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #2662 of 2662 Old 08-30-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

SO how do you use the speaker level inputs? Do you attach the wire from the speakers to the speaker level inputs? and the outputs to the amps speaker connections?

Mark-
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page