post #241 of 2619 Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Anyway, 127db at the listening position, good grief. Dual MFW's can definately pound the hell out of a house.

Agreed

Brought my brother over to listen after purchasing mine(as I always do when I buy new gear), and all he said was "Man, thats almost toooo loud." Then I went to Reference. He'll never be the same lol.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2619 Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Agreed

Brought my brother over to listen after purchasing mine(as I always do when I buy new gear), and all he said was "Man, thats almost toooo loud." Then I went to Reference. He'll never be the same lol.

I was amazed when I went from -1 to +4 on the AVR, the intensity seemed to double and this is where it hit 127db. I had no idea the system could get that loud, I half expected something to blow, it handled it no problem.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #243 of 2619 Old 06-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I was amazed when I went from -1 to +4 on the AVR, the intensity seemed to double and this is where it hit 127db. I had no idea the system could get that loud, I half expected something to blow, it handled it no problem.

I want to try max spl on mine too but don't know were the voice coils are going to start frying.

Previously, got my single DLS-5000R Velodyne and other 5 channels to hit 124db but have not tried it with the MFW and Velo yet.

Besides the obvious, what should I look for ?
post #244 of 2619 Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehanzeb View Post

I want to try max spl on mine too but don't know were the voice coils are going to start frying.

Previously, got my single DLS-5000R Velodyne and other 5 channels to hit 124db but have not tried it with the MFW and Velo yet.

Besides the obvious, what should I look for ?

I just listen for distortion, at that level it's easy to tell when things start to break up. At 127db it still sounded clean but the music I was playing wasn't what I would call fast.

I have heard others crank the system up to badly distorting levels and for some reason they think it sounds great, I'm guessing some people can't tell although I can't grasp how since to me it's so obvious. But then some people can't tell when speakers are out of phase either, and all of them seem to work for stereo stores.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #245 of 2619 Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Received a label for returning the V3 amp, will see what happens after Kyle has them test it. For now I have installed the original V1 amp into the 2nd MFW and have a fan right behind it to cool it, both start with the same switch.

So this should hold up until this gets resolved.

Does this scenario look familiar to you, KH?

Attachment 177313
LL

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #246 of 2619 Old 06-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Liked: 11
Unbelievable! If I wanted to work on subs I would have gone DIY, that's just not right. I never had to work on any sub I ever owned, and I would not expect to. Granted it's easier to do a field replacement of an amp or driver, but I wouldn't let the seller get away with that. IMO warranty repairs should be handled by the seller, and they should pay for shipping to boot. I bet if everyone did that QC would improve a lot... just saying!
post #247 of 2619 Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Does this scenario look familiar to you, KH?

Attachment 177313

Yep, this looks very familiar!!

post #248 of 2619 Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Unbelievable! If I wanted to work on subs I would have gone DIY, that's just not right. I never had to work on any sub I ever owned, and I would not expect to. Granted it's easier to do a field replacement of an amp or driver, but I wouldn't let the seller get away with that. IMO warranty repairs should be handled by the seller, and they should pay for shipping to boot. I bet if everyone did that QC would improve a lot... just saying!

I hear ya, however sending the subs back to AV123 isn't much of a benefit to either seller or customer. Time wise it makes more sense to send the parts and let the customer replace them.

Typically however the repair works the first time. For MFW # 1 this was the case, my luck for MFW # 2 hasn't been so good but we're working on it. Hopefully the next one is the charm. We'll see.

post #249 of 2619 Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear ya, however sending the subs back to AV123 isn't much of a benefit to either seller or customer. Time wise it makes more sense to send the parts and let the customer replace them.

I'll agree with you there. However, the downside is all the labor time you've involved. This has meant:

1) Less time to spend using the sub

2) Less time to spend with family

3) Less time to enjoy other hobbies that you may partake in

4) Less time to just relax after a hard day's word

Yet, VA321 will never reimburse you for any of your time. Though, I think $30 an hour would be sufficient. An hour should be able to cover removing the old amp, installing the new one along with any recalibration of the amp that may be required.
post #250 of 2619 Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I manufacture for a living, I am not working for free! Believe me, I was compensated for my time. Kyle was very good to me about that. Although I was banned from their forum later, so I guess he is done with me.

From that day on (repair day), I have always said to consider the MFW-15 a DIY sub.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

post #251 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I manufacture for a living, I am not working for free! Believe me, I was compensated for my time. Kyle was very good to me about that. Although I was banned from their forum later, so I guess he is done with me.

From that day on (repair day), I have always said to consider the MFW-15 a DIY sub.

What type of compensation can one expect to get?
post #252 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post

What type of compensation can one expect to get?

Vaseline instead of sand
post #253 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I received two Ultralink 4 meter RCA cables ($80). And since it was a cold solder joint that caused the failure (speaker terminal), I asked that another driver be sent out with the wire soldered onto the terminals correctly. This means I have a back up driver. Yes, I could have fixed the cold joint, but... now I have a spare driver.

post #254 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I just listen for distortion, at that level it's easy to tell when things start to break up. At 127db it still sounded clean but the music I was playing wasn't what I would call fast.

Ok thanks! Gonna try when the wife is away
post #255 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

Vaseline instead of sand

Hilarious, but unfortunately it appears to be spot on.
post #256 of 2619 Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

You can ship the entire subwoofer back per warranty terms. However, does everyone save the original packaging? One problem is you have to pay for shipping both ways. If the subwoofer is smashed / damaged during this extra shipping, it's your problem.

It probably takes less time and effort to swap out an amp than it does to packup a subwoofer properly for shipping.

Warranty from AV-123 web site

Non-working product:

All products manufactured by AV123 carry a limited manufacturer's parts and labor warranty of three years. These products are guaranteed to be free from manufacturer's defects for a three year period from the original date of purchase. To qualify for this warranty you must register your products upon the receipt of your order. AV123 product warranty applies to the original owner only and are non-transferable to another party.

If you believe that you have received a defective product please contact techsupport@**********This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it within 48 hours. If a product arrives non-working and cannot be fixed with replacement parts, AV123 will contact the carrier and arrange for pickup of the non-working item.

If your product stops working within the first sixty days, and can not be fixed with replacement parts, AV123 will contact the carrier and arrange for a pick up of the item.

If an item stops working after 60 days and can not be fixed with replacement parts, the product must be returned to AV123 for repair only and return shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer.
post #257 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have been thinking about getting a second MFW-15 to go with the one I've owned since October of 2008. After reading this thread I've decided not to.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who hasn't had a problem with the original amp. How do I know what version amp I have? I know it isn't a V3!
post #258 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM

hey beeker. Look at the amp on the back of the sub. The one I have has a white sticker on the amp which is a V2 amp. The original amps did not have a sticker on them I don't think.
post #259 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac30 View Post

hey beeker. Look at the amp on the back of the sub. The one I have has a white sticker on the amp which is a V2 amp. The original amps did not have a sticker on them I don't think.

The 1st generation amp has two white stickers.One says tested,The other is the serial number.
post #260 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I have been thinking about getting a second MFW-15 to go with the one I've owned since October of 2008. After reading this thread I've decided not to.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who hasn't had a problem with the original amp. How do I know what version amp I have? I know it isn't a V3!

The V3 just recently came out. If you've had yours since Oct 2008 without replacement it's V1. The V2 started shipping around July 2009.
post #261 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

The V3 just recently came out. If you've had yours since Oct 2008 without replacement it's V1. The V2 started shipping around July 2009.

That makes sense. I must have the V1. I guess I am lucky that I haven't had a problem. I did have the hum that was corrected but moving the wires around. I also have the infamous ground loop hum but the cheater plug fixed that.

What is considered to be the best amp?

I checked when I first installed the MFW-15 and it draws close to 30 watts even in standby. It also stays warm to to the touch in standby. I've never checked it after a long work out to see how hot it gets.
post #262 of 2619 Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
For those interested Kevin at Motor City Audio announced the Turbo upgrade kit is available. This kit should put this sub in elite group of subs will have to wait for posted results of course.
post #263 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Received a label for returning the V3 amp, will see what happens after Kyle has them test it. For now I have installed the original V1 amp into the 2nd MFW and have a fan right behind it to cool it, both start with the same switch.

So this should hold up until this gets resolved.

KH whatever happened?

post #264 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj81 View Post

The 1st generation amp has two white stickers.One says tested,The other is the serial number.

This isn't true, some may have but neither of my gen 1 MFW's had any stickers on them. I had no idea what serial number either was. All V2's have a serial number sticker.

post #265 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

KH whatever happened?

I have to wait until they have received and tested it, I hope to hear soon.

post #266 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have a good pic of the moho finish they can share?
post #267 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17976180

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...iew_fullscreen

Life is good.
post #268 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Every one is significantly different. I have three and no two look alike.

post #269 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.MIKE View Post

For those interested Kevin at Motor City Audio announced the Turbo upgrade kit is available. This kit should put this sub in elite group of subs will have to wait for posted results of course.

Some folks might find it of interest that after relentlessly posting about the MFW and Turbo, you have decided NOT to go with the Turbo, but rather buy one or more of the subs from Craig Chases' Tweak City Audio. I forget if you are getting the 18.1 or 18.2 and whether you are getting single or doubles.

The CS 18.2 is an 800 watt dual 18 inch sealed sub selling for $1275 plus shipping. 40 inches high by 20 wide by 20 deep.
post #270 of 2619 Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Some folks might find it of interest that after relentlessly posting about the MFW and Turbo, you have decided NOT to go with the Turbo, but rather buy one or more of the subs from Craig Chases' Tweak City Audio. I forget if you are getting the 18.1 or 18.2 and whether you are getting single or doubles.

yes, i was wondering the same thing. what happened?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page