post #2671 of 2680 Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze View Post
How hard would it be to pull the stock plate amp, cut a piece of MDF and throw some external connectors on it and power it with an outboard amp? anyone done this
If you want to save the hassle and get a cleaner look, you can always just order the plates from Sandbagger (Kevin) that are used for the Turbo kit. Alternately if you are feeling adventurous you can unplug all connections from the binding posts on the original amp, and wire directly to the existing posts and just use it as an input plate.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2680 Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone View Post
I have an MFW-15 I bought in 2008 that luckily didn't have any issues until now. But now I'm getting no output at all. I don't hear hum, just nothing. The light is still green. Is this a different issue from the hum I keep reading about?
Mine is doing the same thing. 2008 vintage and there's no hum or anything, green light, but no output whatsoever even when I'm doing the "channel test tone" from my receiver.

Any luck on hooking up external amps to these subs?
post #2673 of 2680 Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am going to do what Mark said. I actually saw a youtube video about it last week. This way I keep the stock amp in the sub so the sub still looks good. My new amp will be in my rack with my receiver and instead of an LFE cable attaching to the sub I will have speaker wire attaching to the binding posts.
post #2674 of 2680 Old 11-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is the answer I received on the DIY forum. i spent ALOT of time looking this up! Someone else confirmed my finding. The INUKE 1000 DSP amp is $199. It looks like a good cheap fix to get the MFW running again.

Mark Seaton .... any thoughts? Thanks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceblrc View Post
I know a little bit about subs and I do not want to build one from scratch. But, I have a MFW-15 sub and the amp has died. There is no plate amp that will fit it the original amp hole in the sub box. I want to get my sub working again for as little $$ as possible so I have decided get an external amp (pro amp).

My questions are:
1) Will the inuke 1000 DSP work for me? The stock sub has a 5.5 cubic foot box, it is ported, 15 inch driver (4 ohms). The original amp was 350 watts RMS. Sub is tuned at - 3 db @ 18 hertz. The stock sub could hit 120 decibels.
- is there a better amp you can recommend is this price range?
- Can I get the inuke 1000 NON dsp version instead? (its $50 less)
- what features do i need an amp to have? high pass filter? EQ?
2) I will connect the inuke to my receiver with a RCA to XLR connector. Then connect the inuke to the sub with a speakon adaptor & then bare speaker wire. Is this correct?
3) After I figure out # 1- # 3 I may decide to use REW. Can I use my analog radio shack sound level meter 33-4050 to hook up to my laptop (sound meter has a RCA out). Can I use my YPAO microphone from my Yamaha receiver? Or do I need to buy a digital mike to connect to my laptop?

Any advice you can give me would be great! THANKS!
1) Inuke1000DSP is a perfect match. The Inuke's will do the their full power bridged @ 4 ohms, in one channel.
Exactly what you said. I would keep the DSP version as that allows you to EQ your sub, and add a highpass filter, because your subwoofer is ported,
2) Correct, wire the speakon to the back of the amp, but don't forget to wire the AMP's speakon connector as +1 +2 if you plan on using the Inuke bridged. (+1 -1 normally)
3) You should be able to do exactly what you listed, but I have never tried it with my MCACC mic. Don't expect very much accuracy around 20hz with those microphones though.
If you don't want to do that, a calibrated Umik or Dayton umm-6 mic from cross-spectrum.com works.
post #2675 of 2680 Old 11-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guys-

Can someone guide me to a repair procedure for the V1? I have murrels instructions for the V2. I am nearly certain that mine is a V1 as I got it right after the release. The hum has gotten louder and finally turned into a loud buzz.

XBL Gamertag : iChip
post #2676 of 2680 Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
replace the same caps, if it works, you got it, if not..... well it doesnt work for all

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #2677 of 2680 Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! If it doesn't work, Ill install a new BASH amp or a Dayton SA1000 external.

XBL Gamertag : iChip
post #2678 of 2680 Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There is nothing that is a drop in that I have ever seen. SA1000 is way more power than what you need for the stock driver, be careful..... there is always the turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Thanks! If it doesn't work, Ill install a new BASH amp or a Dayton SA1000 external.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #2679 of 2680 Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I have a V3.01 amplifier for sale in the classifieds in case anyone is interested:

AV123 MFW-15 stock Amplifier V3.01

Its the new updated V3 which originally shipped with a toroidal transformer and later with the same EI transformer found in the V2s. It works perfect and stays cool to the touch regardless of how hard it is pushed.
post #2680 of 2680 Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know an amp repair place where I can take my V3 amp and get it fixed in the So. Cal. (Lake Elsinore) area ?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page