NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics* - Page 91 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #2701 of 2714 Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
NO!

I think they were last sold new in 2012. Search this thread and you will find out the exact date.

1) There are no V3 amps
2) No other plate amp will fit in the subs amp cutout.

That's why some of us are trying out pro audio amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2714 Old 01-13-2015, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceblrc View Post
NO!

I think they were last sold new in 2012. Search this thread and you will find out the exact date.

1) There are no V3 amps
2) No other plate amp will fit in the subs amp cutout.

That's why some of us are trying out pro audio amps.
lol, i figured as much, just checking - thanks. good luck with your mod!
post #2703 of 2714 Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM

I am looking to fix up a MFW-15 subwoofer that has a dead amp. I would like the sub box to be in good shape and the driver to be working. I am planning to use a pro audio amp to run it.

I assume at this point everyone who bought these subs and has a dead amplifier has either spend time and money trying to fix it or has given up and the sub has been collecting dust for a long time.

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I would need to pick it up locally. Shipping this sub would be too costly for a non-working sub.

Obviously I don't want to pay a lot for a dead sub. I am looking for someone who is wanting to get rid of it. Based on these forums there are lots of people with these dead subs. Watching movies without bass sucks!
If you haven't fixed it yet you are probably never going to. So, just get a buy a new or used sub and enjoy watching movies again So I then can have your old sub

Last edited by juiceblrc; 01-14-2015 at 11:50 AM.
post #2704 of 2714 Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I am looking to fix up a MFW-15 subwoofer that has a dead amp. I would like the sub box to be in good shape and the driver to be working. I am planning to use a pro audio amp to run it.

I assume at this point everyone who bought these subs and has a dead amplifier has either spend time and money trying to fix it or has given up and the sub has been collecting dust for a long time.

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I would need to pick it up locally. Shipping this sub would be too costly for a non-working sub.

Obviously I don't want to pay a lot for a dead sub. I am looking for someone who is wanting to get rid of it. Based on these forums there are lots of people with these dead subs. Watching movies without bass sucks!
If you haven't fixed it yet you are probably never going to. So, just get a buy a new or used sub and enjoy watching movies again So I then can have your old sub
Lol! I've another MFW-15 in working condition (don't know for how long!) so I'm not buying yet. I'm in houston, so it will be a long drive for you
post #2705 of 2714 Old 02-28-2015, 04:52 PM

Liked: 14
Question

Has anyone been successful setting up a Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP with these AV123 MFW-15 sub woofers?

I did a decent hack job on the amp plate, removed most of the old amp guts, installed a Speakon connector, connected it to the driver lead, etc. I have two AV123 MFW-15 sub's I refuse to let die - lol.

Current connection flow:

PC Asus Phoebus Xonar Sound card via optical > Yamaha RX-V567BL > LFE RCA cable > Talent Unbalanced/Balanced Converter > XLR Cables > Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP > Speakon Cables > AV123 MFW-15 Sub's

So, with the external amp hooked up, I am getting decent thump from them, but I know they should be able to do better.

I was just checking to see if anyone has had any better settings or suggestions based on what I am uploading. I know of course it probably would take a calibration mic to get them really dialed in, but thats not in the budget at this time, so I have to make due until I add that to my arsenal of tools. Any suggestions?

post #2706 of 2714 Old 03-01-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 182
You need someboost down low, especially in a decent size room. seems like i run 3-6db low shelf starting at like 50hz for my room. This is from memory.

High pass at 18-20hz. LR24 works good.
The1stCav likes this.
post #2707 of 2714 Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do you have a lowpass set at 33.2?

Check your inputs and make sure your fully driving the amps.
The1stCav likes this.
post #2708 of 2714 Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
You need someboost down low, especially in a decent size room. seems like i run 3-6db low shelf starting at like 50hz for my room. This is from memory.

High pass at 18-20hz. LR24 works good.
Quote:
Why do you have a lowpass set at 33.2?

Check your inputs and make sure your fully driving the amps.
Thank you for the suggestions, it got me moving in the right direction. I immediately started getting better puch from these with lower AMP power. I got to playing more with the DSP settings and so far this is sounding pretty decent. I am still trying to get it to hit a little lower - not louder - but lower. High Pass will not go lower than 20.00. I can get the floor shaking like crazy though with these settings. The mirror on the fireplace downstairs was in potential jeopardy, there was a lot of shaking going on. I am sure I won some love from the neighbors playing with these today. The dual HSU VTF-15H's I bought to replace these are very nice with the HT set up, but these are now rocking my office audio. Its good to feel these alive again.

Video of the subs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6coW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by The1stCav; 03-01-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #2709 of 2714 Old 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Im still puzzled why your using a lowpass on the amp.

Are you not already using a lowpass within the AVR?
The1stCav likes this.
post #2710 of 2714 Old 03-01-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Im still puzzled why your using a lowpass on the amp.

Are you not already using a lowpass within the AVR?
lol, because I didn't see the Off option until just now (facepalm) - its now off.

Video of the subs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6coW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by The1stCav; 03-01-2015 at 05:18 PM.
post #2711 of 2714 Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

It looks like you are clipping the amp alot at 1:55. The top light (red) stays on alot. I wonder if the inuke 1000 has enough power for 2 MFW's.

I am using a 3000 DSP with one MFW and it has more than enough power. I am hoping to add a second sub down the road. Maybe another MFW (if I can find one) or I may DIY my own sub.
The1stCav likes this.

Last edited by juiceblrc; Yesterday at 10:58 PM.
post #2712 of 2714 Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quote:
It looks like you are clipping the amp alot at 1:55. The top light (red) stays on alot. I wonder if the inuke 1000 has enough power for 2 MFW's.

I am using a 3000 DSP with one MFW and it has more than enough power. I am hoping to add a second sub down the road. Maybe another MFW (if I can find one) or I may DIY my own sub.
I agree, I was pushing it, but then I realized it was in the DSP settings. I have since found a balance where at the same knob level I am still getting some great power from them, but not pushing the AMP the same. I am still playing with them to get them just right while I adjust this and that, but so far things are seeming to play very nice and settle down.

Also, if I rewire them in series, then bridge the iNuke, the iNuke is supposed to do 1kw @ 4A in bridge mode. Right now I am getting approx ~400A per channel @ 3A. So this may be another option I can explore to get more out of the current hardware. That would be at least another 200W I could potentially pull out of this NU1000DSP.

I really wanted to buy the 3000W version, I just had the decision to either wait a month, or just pull the trigger. The Talent Unbalanced/Balanced converter was the decider between the 3Kw and the 1Kw, but I decided this was necessary based on all the forums I read and how the converter helped immensely versus the XLR to RCA adapters. So I spent the $49.99 on that instead of the additional $79.99 on the 3Kw. If all worked and it wasn't enough power, I knew I would be able to just get another 1Kw and bridge each one and power a single MFW off each, then I would be sure to have more than enough power. Plus the Converter I bought will handle dual connections allowing me to use two iNukes eventually. Considering that I am not going to be able to push them like this much (I have to wait for the wife to leave to even turn them on), they are fine as they are now. However eventually I may end up buying another iNuke NU1000DSP and running one per MFW.
post #2713 of 2714 Old Today, 04:05 PM

the1stcav,

I have no idea if you need this balanced/unbalanced converter. I have read using unbalanced (RCA) to balanced (XLR) may cause problems so maybe that's why you thought you needed the converter. I may be wrong though.

I just decided not to use balanced (XLR) cables. My signal is unbalanced (RCA) to unbalanced (TS 1/4"). I have no issues or noises or hums & it works perfectly! I may change the noisy inuke fan one day.
post #2714 of 2714 Old Today, 06:11 PM

Quote:
the1stcav,

I have no idea if you need this balanced/unbalanced converter. I have read using unbalanced (RCA) to balanced (XLR) may cause problems so maybe that's why you thought you needed the converter. I may be wrong though.

I just decided not to use balanced (XLR) cables. My signal is unbalanced (RCA) to unbalanced (TS 1/4"). I have no issues or noises or hums & it works perfectly! I may change the noisy inuke fan one day.
I can say it makes a huge difference to change that fan out. I went with the Noctua NF-R8 80mm, as well as I picked up some heat sinks to add a bit more cooling to some of the chips in there. I think combined it should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Amplifier Speaker