AVS Forum banner

NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics*

301K views 3K replies 300 participants last post by  1stHD 
#1 ·
Well gents, I got a replacement amp and I'm not really sure what to think. They weigh about half of what the others did and now don't support the seperate phase/gain/xover panel. Check it out...if some one can post them, I have no idea how...

http://img72.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1453l.jpg

#2 ·
Looks great to me, the knobs bear an eerie resemblance to the knobs on the amps Emotiva is using for their subs.

If these new batch of amps turn out to be solid, I will definitely consider trying a MFDub.

Put it in and tell us your impressions! What are you waiting for

Edit: It would not surprise me if they used the same manufacturer, considering how they worked together in the past.

#6 ·
I don't know what to think here except less is more? I hope? Can someone like Mark Seaton or Craigsub look at this and chime in?

#7 ·
Wait, you had an amp failure or what?

This is what they are replacing the old amps with?

Looks like the transformer is shielded with some foil, and the boards are definitly different. I am very curious now....

I hope someone with component level knowlege can chime in on the amp design....

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/18653476

well I hooked it up. Not good. I had to have it at 9/10 to match my others in output at around 4/10. But it's still not the same so say a prayer for your v2 amps guys.

Ouch!

And whats with the cheap inputs? They really used a yellow for LFE? My first thought was "What the hell is a video jack doing on a sub amp?". At least use purple of white.....

No auto setting?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 /forum/post/18653692

Its a seriously cheap class D amp....................but what do you expect from a $500 15" sub? They aren't gonna put top tier components in there...............

I respectfully disagree (not on the cheap part). The MFW was originally a $900 sub, If I had paid that much, I would not expect a cheap replacement amp such as the OP received.

They might as well just get BASH to custom them some amps, and be done with this cheap bull **** they keep trying to push on their customers.

Whats the deal with removing options on the amp? I would be beyond pissed if I had an amp go, and I got an inferior amp to replace it. What about the people that were using the Line level inputs?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/18653766

I respectfully disagree (not on the cheap part). The MFW was originally a $900 sub, If I had paid that much, I would not expect a cheap replacement amp such as the OP received.

They might as well just get BASH to custom them some amps, and be done with this cheap bull **** they keep trying to push on their customers.

Whats the deal with removing options on the amp? I would be beyond pissed if I had an amp go, and I got an inferior amp to replace it. What about the people that were using the Line level inputs?

Doesnt matter what it "retailed" for, its a cheaply built sub using a rather cheap driver and plate amp. It will give you output, but what 15" ported sub won't?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 /forum/post/18653692

Its a seriously cheap class D amp....................but what do you expect from a $500 15" sub? They aren't gonna put top tier components in there...............

Thanks for stating the obvious. I expect the same level of design that went into the original which was not the cheap subwoofer it seems to be now. Nobody is expecting the same as is installed in a 5k sub but this is a HUGE step down from the previous design.

This renders the controller moot, no more auto on/off, cheap inputs and boards that look like you better be gentle pushing in the rca cables.

We don't even know if it meets the previous amplifiers spec power wise or eq wise for this driver and enclosure. AV123 has been silent, not even MLS under TADG or whatever his new name is today has posted anything.

So, is this a bad joke or is this really the new amplifier? If this is the new amp then those of us who receive them will never be able to get a decent price for it the MFW if we sell it.

I can see it now, ignore that nice looking controller and oh, that cheesy looking thing where the amp is, no worries it's the new design, trust me it's as good as it was before, you just don't have the same options for hook ups as I did when I bought it.

Just....Damn....

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 /forum/post/18653931

Doesnt matter what it "retailed" for, its a cheaply built sub using a rather cheap driver and plate amp. It will give you output, but what 15" ported sub won't?

Tell you what, go piss on another thread ok, we get it, everything you haven't built is cheap with cheap amps. You can kill anything Seaton makes and now you're here to school us on how dreary the MFW is.

What this thread is for, is to get an opinion from someone who knows this sub AND might know about the amplifier. If you don't, then thanks for your commentary about the junk we bought, move on please.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/18653766

Someone who gets it! +10000 agreed! Some of us who bought this and are still waiting for a good amp might get this one and no matter what we should get at minimum what we paid for, not less and this one is clearly less.

If this is NOT what they are sending then I'll openly apologize to AV123, if this is what shows up at my door there will be hell to pay.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/18653970

Someone who gets it! +10000 agreed! Some of us who bought this and are still waiting for a good amp might get this one and no matter what we should get at minimum what we paid for, not less and this one is clearly less.

If this is NOT what they are sending then I'll openly apologize to AV123, if this is what shows up at my door there will be hell to pay.

If I may quote Avatar "They're pissing on us and not even giving us the courtesy of calling it rain."

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/18652938

Well gents, I got a replacement amp and I'm not really sure what to think. They weigh about half of what the others did and now don't support the seperate phase/gain/xover panel. Check it out...if some one can post them, I have no idea how...

http://img72.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1453l.jpg

Have you installed it yet, do you have a pic of the box? Was there the usual letter explaining anything like hey the controller is no longer needed?

Updates please.

#17 ·

Quote:

well I hooked it up. Not good. I had to have it at 9/10 to match my others in output at around 4/10. But it's still not the same so say a prayer for your v2 amps guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/18654016

Have you installed it yet, do you have a pic of the box? Was there the usual letter explaining anything like hey the controller is no longer needed?

Updates please.

Appears that he did install it already...

#18 ·

Quote:

I missed this, thanks for the update.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/18653953

Tell you what, go piss on another thread ok, we get it, everything you haven't built is cheap with cheap amps. You can kill anything Seaton makes and now you're here to school us on how dreary the MFW is.

What this thread is for, is to get an opinion from someone who knows this sub AND might know about the amplifier. If you don't, then thanks for your commentary about the junk we bought, move on please.

THe OP asked about the quality of the plate amp. SO he got an honest answer. Its cheaply built using cheap parts. So sorry AV123 used cheap parts in this product.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 /forum/post/18654067

THe OP asked about the quality of the plate amp. SO he got an honest answer. Its cheaply built using cheap parts. So sorry AV123 used cheap parts in this product.

Whats cheap? Can you be more specific for those of us learning?
  • Transformer
  • Capacitors
  • Colors of inputs(Who cares).

Its obviously less "mass" but electronic equipment is more than a sum of its parts....

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain6943 /forum/post/18654067

My 4 year old nephew can tell it's a cheap amplifier, this is a replacement product so you obviously don't know how it stacks up to the original however I'm nearly 100% certain you would say the same thing about that. So, no help what so ever.

EDIT: ntrain6943, I'm not going to delete what I said because I said it. But I'll apologize for getting upset, I have nearly 2 years invested in this investment and seeing this amplifier as the replacement tripped my trigger. I apologize for taking it out on you.

#24 ·
I'm not making this up, this is the amp. Read step 9 carefully...

http://img171.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1459q.jpg

I already took apart one of the last batch amps (popped) and am using the replaced module board in an OLD amp for the one this was supposed to replace. I played with the one I posted for about an hour and gave up. I asked Kyle about it and he said it was the same spec and output would be the same but then again, he's not gonna tell me it cost $3 wholesale and might get me through the summer.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi /forum/post/18654134

Whats cheap? Can you be more specific for those of us learning?
  • Transformer
  • Capacitors
  • Colors of inputs(Who cares).

Its obviously less "mass" but electronic equipment is more than a sum of its parts....

The amplifier module board looks similar to the previous one, as to the circuits it's hard to say. I know I'll know better when I get mine this week or next. The circuits of the amplifier was pretty nice in the last series of bad amps that I received so it must be something in the design that's flawed or the quality of the parts that someone is nicely installing.

You're right, the amount of parts doesn't mean it's bad but the lack of options sure is a tell for me. If this is the new amp, they might as well send us a block off plate for the controller as well.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/18654223

I'm not making this up, this is the amp. Read step 9 carefully...

http://img171.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1459q.jpg

I already took apart one of the last batch amps (popped) and am using the new board in an OLD amp for the one this was supposed to replace. I played with the one I posted for about an hour and gave up. I asked Kyle about it and he said it was the same spec and output would be the same but then again, he's not gonna tell me it cost $3 wholesale and might get me through the summer.

crOwcaine,

Thanks! looks like this is the amp I can look forward to receiving late this week or early next week. I'll be able to compare side by side and I'll take close up pics of each amp side by side as well.

Thanks again.

Here is the screen shot so people don't have to click.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.