Well im at it again. Subwoofer choices! Need Opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well guys the bug finally hit me again.. only a year later lol
I have the chance at snagging either a Hsu vtf 3.3 ho (no tc) for $400, a Outlaw lfm1 + for $370 or can I say screw and get a mfw15 for $498 (which realllly wont fit that well at all into my room, id have to move over my mains maybe an inch or so which might mess with my imaging) I really have zero room to move my system around, and its perfect the way it is. Sooo...

Anyways, my room is a small one at 10x15x8. So im sure any of these subs would be **** stain inducing at this point. I just want the one that digs the deepest without having to worry about my ears bleeding Or my pocket book hurting too bad

Id prefer to hear from people with experience and not fanboys! thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 05:53 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What sub do you have now if yuo just upgraded a year ago?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

No I meant that my sub has survived many upgrade bugs.
I have a decent sub now, I'm not going into the name game cause its really not important. The main thing I'm looking for now is sub 20hz content. That's really the ONLY reason I'm upgrading
post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Liked: 10
Of those, the Hsu will be the most impressive. Given the amplifier issues with the MFW-15, I'd strike that one from your list.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRT View Post

Of those, the Hsu will be the most impressive. Given the amplifier issues with the MFW-15, I'd strike that one from your list.

Well, the new amps supposedly are much more reliable, and I THINK they hit harder compared to an hsu, from what I've read online.

I'm willing to take my chances with the amp.

But I was more looking at a comparison of frequency response, and fidelity between them all.
I wonder if ill be able to notice the difference in them in such a small room.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMed427 View Post

No I meant that my sub has survived many upgrade bugs.
I have a decent sub now, I'm not going into the name game cause its really not important. The main thing I'm looking for now is sub 20hz content. That's really the ONLY reason I'm upgrading

The VTF-3HO would be great for sub 20 response if you could also find a Turbo. With the Turbo you get substantial 16 Hz output without port chuffing.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

The VTF-3HO would be great for sub 20 response if you could also find a Turbo. With the Turbo you get substantial 16 Hz output without port chuffing.

Now thats what i like to hear!
Would you reccomend the hsu over the mfw15 regardless of reliability issues?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10
It isn't just about reliability. There are three versions of the MFW-15's amp. The first two are very powerful, but either run hot or are prone to failure when the unit is switched on. The third version is significantly less powerful and lacks certain features of the original. Craigsub, who tested the first MFW-15 back in 2008, does not apply his rating to the current MFW-15. It is an unknown quantity.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It isn't just about reliability. There are three versions of the MFW-15's amp. The first two are very powerful, but either run hot or are prone to failure when the unit is switched on. The third version is significantly less powerful and lacks certain features of the original. Craigsub, who tested the first MFW-15 back in 2008, does not apply his rating to the current MFW-15. It is an unknown quantity.

Oh geez, thats a major bummer

Hmm, so i guess i should knock the mfw out of the equation.

Would anyone know if there would be a drastic difference in output between the 3.3 and the lfm1 +?

My option for the hsu looks to be dwindling, havent heard from the seller :/
post #10 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

That may not nessecarily be true in regards to the power of the latest MFW amp. There have been a few users who have reported their amp to be noticeably more powerful than the previous amps. FWIW the latest amp from what I remember, Kyle from AV321 has stated the amp is closer to being 500 watts as opposed to the older 350. Also there have been reports of people having the AUTO on/off feature on their amps as well. Originally when these new amps did first come out, there were some reports of the amps being much less powerful, maybe they were just duds out of the first run or 2 of amps. Who knows when it comes to AV321!

If you are interested in an MFW, check out the latest amp thread here.

I've been following it since it was created, because I am really tempted to get a couple of B-Stock Black Satins since they are going for as low as $500 shipped.

I have 2 MFW's that have the 2nd version amp and they have ran fine so far. As always buyer beware.

But if you really are interested in the MFW, check out that thread I mentioned, in particular the last few pages of it. That's where it goes in detail some of the positive reports from users who have the latest amp.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

That may not nessecarily be true in regards to the power of the latest MFW amp. There have been a few users who have reported their amp to be noticeably more powerful than the previous amps. FWIW the latest amp from what I remember, Kyle from AV321 has stated the amp is closer to being 500 watts as opposed to the older 350. Also there have been reports of people having the AUTO on/off feature on their amps as well. Originally when these new amps did first come out, there were some reports of the amps being much less powerful, maybe they were just duds out of the first run or 2 of amps. Who knows when it comes to AV321!

If you are interested in an MFW, check out the latest amp thread here.

I've been following it since it was created, because I am really tempted to get a couple of B-Stock Black Satins since they are going for as low as $500 shipped.

I have 2 MFW's that have the 2nd version amp and they have ran fine so far. As always buyer beware.

But if you really are interested in the MFW, check out that thread I mentioned, in particular the last few pages of it. That's where it goes in detail some of the positive reports from users who have the latest amp.

Well after reading THIS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250559 thread. Ive decided against an MFW-15. I feel like i need to take a shower after reading all that
post #12 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 487
You should have jumped on the VTF3.3 HO, that is one beastly sub. I would take one over the MFW without even factoring the MFW's reliability. The LFM will be good too, it is like a VTF2.3, but with a more powerful amp.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You should have jumped on the VTF3.3 HO, that is one beastly sub. I would take one over the MFW without even factoring the MFW's reliability. The LFM will be good too, it is like a VTF2.3, but with a more powerful amp.

Well its not the ho version.
I'm actually putting a lot of pressure on the seller, as he actually has a buyer in line ahwad of me. I'm just hoping something goes terribly wrong with that buyer lol
Ill keep my fingers crossed
You guys are welcome to do the same
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page