Wanting to use a subwoofer isolation stand but can't: is this a good improvise? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to isolate my subwoofer from a carpeted floor so that it doesn't shake the house. The sub in question is the Infinity Cascade 15:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

Now, for the desired effect of isolating the sub, the packaging did come with spikes for the feet. Would this do the same thing as a subwoofer platform, where in the reviews people said that the platform stopped the sub from shaking the house walls?

If not, then due to the oddly shaped nature of the Cascade 15, obviously a standard subwoofer platform would look very weird, not to mention I'd need two of em. Would these do instead? They're speaker isolation platforms:
http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...eakerdudes.asp

Thanks for any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Those speakerdudes will be smashed under the weight of your subwoofer box. They won't do you any good. You need a great gramma for that long box:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GreatGRAMMA/

Ignore all the talk about guitar amps in the product description, this isolator is made the exact same way using the exact same materials as the subdude. The great gramma also can hold the 98 lbs of your sub.

post #3 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed94 View Post

Those speakerdudes will be smashed under the weight of your subwoofer box. They won't do you any good. You need a great gramma for that long box:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GreatGRAMMA/

Ignore all the talk about guitar amps in the product description, this isolator is made the exact same way using the exact same materials as the subdude. The great gramma also can hold the 98 lbs of your sub.

The Cascade 15 is 37" wide. You cannot use one Great Gramma because it is only 30" wide. The Cascade 15 has four rubberized feet that must contact the floor. As the rubberized feet emerge from the base there is a slight extension of the subwoofer, meaning that you have to use 2 Gramma's or perhaps 3 SubDude's otherwise something will be resting on a single Gramma (only 23" wide) or Great Gramma that shouldn't be and the subwoofer will not be supported by the four feet. Hence, you need two of them side by side. The spiked feet will not help isolate the subwoofer from the floor. I assume that you have a wooden floor beneath your carpet? Where did you place your subwoofer? Out of curiosity, what do you have for your front R&L speakers and Center Fill? One Gramma is capable of holding 300 lbs so that the Cascade 15 on two of them is no problem. If the esthetics of the Auralex logo on the Gramma bother you, then it will have to be the SubDude's. Two Gramma's cost less than 3 SubDude's. I would think that the isolator has to be between the subwoofer and the floor, hence 3 SubDude's, not 2. Otherwise the middle part of the 15 will have an unobstructed access to the floor, even though there will be attenuation from the elevation of the SubDude. I see no point in buying 2 Great Gramma's which appear to be either 1.5X or 2X the cost of a pair of Gramma's.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM

Liked: 17
Here is the much more compact (18" x 16" x 3") GreatGandPappy rated at 275lb.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cr_asin_lnk

The difference being is you are actually paying for something useful (the 5lbs of dense gel) in this $52 product.

Note: Amazon product details and description are incorrect. The manufactures catalog is the most accurate.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
You may want to talk with Elemental Designs...
I just purchased one of their iso pads for my A7-350...and they are a lot beefier than the Aurelex pads..
Additionally, eD does lots of custom work...give 'em a call.
Here is a link..
http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=1097
post #6 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Here is the much more compact (18" x 16" x 3") GreatGandPappy rated at 275lb.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cr_asin_lnk

The difference being is you are actually paying for something useful (the 5lbs of dense gel) in this $52 product.

Note: Amazon product details and description are incorrect. The manufactures catalog is the most accurate.

Looking at the link, this product was not designed for audio isolation, given its price about the same as the Gramma, why should anyone try it out?
post #7 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF911 View Post

You may want to talk with Elemental Designs...
I just purchased one of their iso pads for my A7-350...and they are a lot beefier than the Aurelex pads..
Additionally, eD does lots of custom work...give 'em a call.
Here is a link..
http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=1097

It is nice to know that there are other isolation pads out there. In this particular instance, the original thread creator would still have to buy two of them for a Cascade 15 and that turns out to be more expensive than 2 Gramma's. I would suggest buying them through Amazon because if you don't like them for whatever reason, you can always return them at Amazon's expense.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
just a quick question
why do you need something for under your sub?

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #9 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygienist View Post

I'm looking to isolate my subwoofer from a carpeted floor so that it doesn't shake the house. The sub in question is the Infinity Cascade 15:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

Now, for the desired effect of isolating the sub, the packaging did come with spikes for the feet. Would this do the same thing as a subwoofer platform, where in the reviews people said that the platform stopped the sub from shaking the house walls?

If not, then due to the oddly shaped nature of the Cascade 15, obviously a standard subwoofer platform would look very weird, not to mention I'd need two of em. Would these do instead? They're speaker isolation platforms:
http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...eakerdudes.asp

Thanks for any help in advance!

I think you maybe fine using the speaker dudes under the sub. The reason I say that is because I am using Mopads for a pair of tower speakers. Each speaker ways about 50lbs. The Mopads don't compress at all. And that is 50lbs on what equals just one speaker dude. With your sub weighing 95lbs, spread out over two speaker dudes. I think you will be fine. If you have to leave those legs on the sub. I would suggest cutting a piece of lumber about the same size as the top of the speaker dude and putting it between the speaker dude and the subs legs. This would keep the legs from digging into the foam. You could also DIY a Subdude to fit the sub. I have made my own with great results. My subs didn't fit any of the Subdudes. They where either to small or to big.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

just a quick question
why do you need something for under your sub?

The quick answer is to decouple the sub from the floor and prevent direct sound waves propagating through the floor and affect other components or perhaps rattle windows. There is quite a bit of discussion about this in the AVS Forums. Now it is possible that everyone doesn't need to go this route.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I would suggest cutting a piece of lumber about the same size as the top of the speaker dude and putting it between the speaker dude and the subs legs. This would keep the legs from digging into the foam.

Now that's clever and should work. Great to have these helpful tips!
post #12 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
fookoo
how do the sound waves propagate directly into the floor? from the sub's contact with the floor?

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #13 of 20 Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

fookoo
how do the sound waves propagate directly into the floor? from the sub's contact with the floor?

Whether the sub is forward firing or downward, it does occur. Part of it maybe feedback coming back through the feet of the sub for the direct firing sub. This could be a whole line of discussion of which I have no expertise. For my part, not being a physicist, there are vibrations that come up through the floor as the result of deeper bass. This was impressed upon me in my stereo system years ago in which the woofers in the speakers caused the windows to rattle. When I isolated the turntable from the floor, that problem disappeared. So that it is an empirical observation. This would certainly be more exacerbated on a wooden floor. Then there is the observation of those buying or testing isolation platforms and some of those people are quite critical:

http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html

It does not seem uncommon for someone to complain of the entire room shaking because of the bass and the question then becomes how to tame it.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

fookoo

Depending on the floor (cement floors not withstanding) frequencies can cause the floor to resonate just like anything else. I have a suspended hardwood floor and at lower freqs, the floor literally ripples and shakes. You can actually feel the weight of the floor moving. It's awesome
post #15 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I would suggest cutting a piece of lumber about the same size as the top of the speaker dude and putting it between the speaker dude and the subs legs. This would keep the legs from digging into the foam.

Here is a reply to an inquiry to Auralex:

I would not suggest adding an additional piece of plywood to the existing platforms as doing that may prove detrimental to the effectiveness of the GRAMMA. Besides that, they are already equipped with a hard surface that should support the weight of the sub just fine. The GRAMMA in their original factory state should be just fine for your application. Thanks, and let us know if you have any further questions.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the reply from Auralex:

The only difference between the SubDude and the GRAMMA is the
dimensions. The SubDude is made to accommodate an average subwoofer.
Placing your sub on 2 GRAMMA with a space between the two would not
affect their desired performance as the sub would still be decoupled
from the floor. Likewise, if the sub is resting on a SubDude and happens
to hang over the edges, it will still perform as desired, with the
stability of the cabinet being the main issue.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Here is a reply to an inquiry to Auralex:

I would not suggest adding an additional piece of plywood to the existing platforms as doing that may prove detrimental to the effectiveness of the GRAMMA. Besides that, they are already equipped with a hard surface that should support the weight of the sub just fine. The GRAMMA in their original factory state should be just fine for your application. Thanks, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Your information from Auralex would be correct if you where talking about the Subdude or the Gramma. They have a hard platform on their surface. Part of the Op's original question asked about using the Speaker Dudes to decouple his sub. That is why I gave him the advice to use the Speaker Dudes with a piece of wood on top. The Mopads and the Speaker Dudes do not have a wood platform. If he uses a Subdude or a Gramma, putting a piece of wood on top would not be needed.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

It is nice to know that there are other isolation pads out there. In this particular instance, the original thread creator would still have to buy two of them for a Cascade 15 and that turns out to be more expensive than 2 Gramma's. I would suggest buying them through Amazon because if you don't like them for whatever reason, you can always return them at Amazon's expense.

Custom work being the key words in the post you had quoted. A call to them and he'd have a quote for an isolation pad that was the exact size he needed.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #19 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Use the regular Gamma: (It's what I use)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/
post #20 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

As Chris Schempp mentioned,

We can do a custom pad specifically for your subwoofers dimensions and be less than the cost of two separate units. Plus it would look cosmetically better.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page