Dual SVS PC12-NSD subs or Dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I may be in the market to buy new subs soon. I have a large room 23X13X8 and I want to go with two subs. Which one SVS or Outlaw Audio?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I may be in the market to buy new subs soon. I have a large room 23X13X8 and I want to go with two subs. Which one SVS or Outlaw Audio?

My personal suggestion would be the SVS subs. I am also looking at dual PC-12NSD's (Cylinder version of the same sub) for a the living room that is 16x14x8 and open to the dining room which is 12x9x8. Total footage of 2700^3. You are at 2400^3 (provided your room doesnt "see" any other rooms") so they would work great for you.

I have emailed SVS many times with questions concerning how much bass I want in my space and they have suggested the dual NSD's. I have really enjoyed how good their service has been to somone that doesnt even own their product. That alone helped me with my decision I hear nothing but good things about them here as well.

Another suggestion would be looking at dual Epik Empires. They would cost more but some folks really enjoy theirs lol.

I can say that between the those two companies (Epik, SVS) SVS is much quicker in their response. I sent an email to each company within minutes of each other and got a response from SVS within 2 hours, whereas Epik took 3 days.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, thanx advice very much appreciated. If you get your SVS please post and let me know how you like them.

Shawn
post #4 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Liked: 11
They both seem to be equal in terms of performance, I would go with which ever you like best or will fit your needs better in terms of size, aestetics, configuration of the sub.

Things I like about my dual LFM-1 + subs:
  • Smaller enclosure (footprint)
  • Looks nice with the black plexi on top (my opinion)
  • Downward firing driver/ports (great if you have kids)
  • Can tune it to be in max extension/max output mode - you can tune each to be the same mode or have one of each and get the best of both worlds.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Another thing worth mentioning is the PC-12NSD which is a cylinder sub w/ the same performance. It is also downfiring so its kid/pet freindly. It has a smaller footprint, but does stand much higher (35"), and is lighter than the box version.

Also worth noting is that they just refreshed the SB models (sealed versions) w/ new drivers and new amps. Might be worth waiting to see if they do the same for the ported, or wait to see if they drop the prices on the models w/ the older amp.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #6 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 68
post #7 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

OR, dual Empires.

Also an option, however since he has mentioned the Outlaw and SVS subs my bet is that those might top his budget and the Epik is about 100 more than the SVS.

But they are a good bet as well, as long as they are still on sale of course lol

My Setup

Quote:

post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

OR, dual Empires.

I know the Empires would be a good choice as well but a little too pricey. My original budget for subs was $1k but I upped that to $1200 and I can't go any higher and I want dual subs because of the size and shape of my room.

Shawn
post #9 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
How about 2 Elemental Designs A3-300's for $1100 out the door? I would be between those or the NSD's myself. The svs will cost more though.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

How about 2 Elemental Designs A3-300's for $1100 out the door? I would be between those or the NSD's myself. The svs will cost more though.

While nice the OP has mentioned once or twice he is hoping to find downfiring which is why I suggested the PC-12NSD. All the benefits of the PB but lighter and downfiring.

Ed does make excellent subs as well however so those are by no means a bad option either.

My Setup

Quote:

post #11 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

They both seem to be equal in terms of performance, I would go with which ever you like best or will fit your needs better in terms of size, aestetics, configuration of the sub.

Things I like about my dual LFM-1 + subs:
  • Smaller enclosure (footprint)
  • Looks nice with the black plexi on top (my opinion)
  • Downward firing driver/ports (great if you have kids)
  • Can tune it to be in max extension/max output mode - you can tune each to be the same mode or have one of each and get the best of both worlds.

Have you tried running one sub in each mode to get the best of both worlds? I currently am running 2 subs one far field front wall and one near field on side wall next to sofa, if I make the purchase of the LFM-1+ subs how do you think it would be to put the far one in max output mode and the near one in max extension mode. I know you will probably say experiment and try for myself and that it depends on the room, just lookin for your opinion.

So far the only thing I like better about the specs on the LFM-1+ over the SVS is that it has variable port tuning.

Shawn
post #12 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Have you tried running one sub in each mode to get the best of both worlds? I currently am running 2 subs one far field front wall and one near field on side wall next to sofa, if I make the purchase of the LFM-1+ subs how do you think it would be to put the far one in max output mode and the near one in max extension mode.

Your description of how you would set them up for your room is how I would try it, the only issue you have to deal with when placing a sub behind you is phase issues with your mains/front sub (use REW to fine tune your settings).

I've run the subs in each mode before and liked it but for my room it wasn't needed. I get a 5db boost by having the duals as is, therefore don't need to run one in max output mode. In your situation, it would probably be beneficial since each sub won't be in close proximity of each other and therefore you won't get that additional boost, just a smoother response.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

Your description of how you would set them up for your room is how I would try it, the only issue you have to deal with when placing a sub behind you is phase issues with your mains/front sub (use REW to fine tune your settings).

I've run the subs in each mode before and liked it but for my room it wasn't needed. I get a 5db boost by having the duals as is, therefore don't need to run one in max output mode. In your situation, it would probably be beneficial since each sub won't be in close proximity of each other and therefore you won't get that additional boost, just a smoother response.

Thanx for the feedback. The reasoning you gave for why it might be beneficial to me to run each in a different mode was exactly what I was thinking.

Shawn
post #14 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you can tell I have my mind made up between the two subs I mentioned above. I would love to hear them for myself before I would purchase either of them. Does anyone in the Lebanon/Harrisburg, PA area have dual LFM-1+ or dual PC12-NSD, or even just a single one so I can take a listen?

Shawn
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page