Tca 18.2 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 689 Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Hey guys, I ran the subs through their paces tonight. Consider this round 1 of 3. My CS 18.2's are in the back corners and the DTS-10's are in the front corners. The back corners give me much more output so I did not want a volume thing decide. I played 3 movies, The Dark Night, X-men last stand, and Transformers 2. I used 2 scenes each. This was basically to get used to the Dayton amps that came in today. I don't like the back corners because I prefer the bass to hit me from the front. The front subs ports are 14 feet away and the back subs(CS 18.2's) are 7 feet away, maybe 6. I calibrated both of them flat and turned my new Krell HTS 7.1(I love this thing) to reference levels. With them level matched the bass from the Danley's walked all over the CS 18.2's no matter what scene. The Danley's had bass where the CS 18.2's seemed silent. The midbass seemed on par with each other so kudos to CHT because the Danley's are $3000 each although it seems you can get them much cheaper in todays economy. The Danley's just had more visceral rumble, shake, pulse waves, and the punch or midbass was similar(I just said that). I knew something has to be wrong because at Craig's the CS 18.2's were calibrated 3 db's hot and they were not silent at all. So I turned the CS 18.2's up to a level where it felt similar to the Danley's. In doing so the CS 18's became much more alive and visceral but seemed to be more audible than the Danley. What I mean is during TF2 when Sam gets blown up by Megatron there is a strong bass wave. The Danley's are pretty quiet until he lands and then you feel the air wave move your hair and clothes, a very cool effect. The CS 18.2's at first did nothing with that scene. So when I turned it up (when he gets blasted) the CS's had audible bass then you could feel the air move across but not as strong. The Danley's were quiet then the wave hit so maybe that dynamic swing made the wave feel stronger. I kept the CS 18.2's at this level for the rest of my tests because now they were doing something. The DTS-10's and the CS 18.2's just do it differently. I had no idea what level I turned the CS 18.2's were anymore(I will get to that later) but the midbass seemed to strong but now I can feel everything the Danley's were doing, even though slightly different. Now this is only Round 1 which is no EQ and different placements. It is very easy going back and forth as all I have to do is turn the DTS-10's Ashly amps off and turn the Daytons on. My next round will be measuring them and see why there is such a difference and try to level or match the responses using the same positions. Round 3 will be moving the CS 18.2's to where the Danley's are which will be more difficult for them but should still hit reference with no problems in my room. I will start with no EQ and then measure and EQ.

Here is the question, for the CS 18.2's to have similar low end performance(pulse waves, pants flapping, back vibrating, room shaking, etc....) the CS 18.2's had to be turned up 8 db's over reference to match the Danley's at reference. Basically the Danley's calibrated at 75 db's and the CS 18.2's were at 83 db's. The good news is that the CS 18.2's played that level with no problems and the amps never even got warm. The problem is the midbass is too hot and you can hear too much low level bass which makes the pulse or bass waves seem less impressive. I need to measure and EQ the CS 18.2's. I probably just have to tame a large peak at 50hz or something. I want suggestions on how as EQ is not my strength, meaning what Q does and such.

BTW, the Krell HTS 7.1 is awesome.
Andreas you missed a bass fest tonight as both played about 10db's louder than last night. Me likey!!!

The CS 18.2's reminded me of my 8 eD subs but with much better midbass. This is just the beginning and not drawing any conclusions yet. I may even try the Daytons on my Danley's just for fun. I will take pics of the rack, daytons, and the room setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 689 Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have never understood the infactuation with the piano black finish and really wish it would just go away except on a freaking piano. I personally do not want anything reflective like that in or around my entertainment center. Nor do I want something that shows every spec of dust and is easily scratched if you use the wrong rag / paper towel to wipe it off.
As far as the finish on the first run of the CS subs I have seen it up close and its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. If you are 4 ft away any blemish disappears into the flat / satin black. I would describe the texture as slightly pebbled, not alligator.

Regards,
Charlie

post #633 of 689 Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

I have never understood the infactuation with the piano black finish and really wish it would just go away except on a freaking piano. I personally do not want anything reflective like that in or around my entertainment center. Nor do I want something that shows every spec of dust and is easily scratched if you use the wrong rag / paper towel to wipe it off.
As far as the finish on the first run of the CS subs I have seen it up close and its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. If you are 4 ft away any blemish disappears into the flat / satin black. I would describe the texture as slightly pebbled, not alligator.

Agreed. Only one person has made a big whoop about the finish of the CS 18.2 Version 1. Anyone whose been around pro equipment or diy will know it has a regular industrial type finish.
post #634 of 689 Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 PM

Liked: 10
CS 18.2 has high sensitivity at midbass. That's why you feel midbass is strong, but low bass is not. If room is small enough to get large amount of low frequency, then CS 18.2 is great.
Thanks MK. It's great mach up review.
post #635 of 689 Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Andreas you missed a bass fest tonight as both played about 10db's louder than last night. Me likey!!!

Nice! That is what I am talking about. Too bad you didn't have everything set up one night earlier. I'm sure I will take another trip out there at some point.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #636 of 689 Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Nice! That is what I am talking about. Too bad you didn't have everything set up one night earlier. I'm sure I will take another trip out there at some point.

10 db's louder with each set, I have not even ran them together yet at this level.
post #637 of 689 Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am starting a thread about the comparo.
post #638 of 689 Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 938
nice writeup mk!

Listen. It's All Good.
post #639 of 689 Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I am starting a thread about the comparo.
Link for the lazy.

Mike
post #640 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM

So I was going to ask the folks at Chase Home Theater how much I would be to ship the CS18.2 to me..... getting closer to buying one. And I get the automate operating telling me I'm caller 2 in line with an expected wait time of 187 minutes haha. I couldnt help but start laughing. So 5 mins go by and then the operater says the wait time is 183 minutes haha. So guessing there's a glitch or theyre out to lunch haha. Anyway does anyone know ( I'm sure Craig and Co know) if there will be a CS18.2 series 3.... and if so what the difference will be. As they're no longer making the series 1, I assume they'll create a series 3. Any clue ?
post #641 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Liked: 16
Glad you had a laugh at their 3 hour wait - someone must have hit the wrong button! Although with their very small team, they answered my call on the first ring. I'm sure there will be a series 3, but also sure it won't be any time soon! They just anounced the availability of an option of metal screens for the 18" subs. A similar grill has been sold for the Pro/Sho speakers, and is quite handsome. Also, there are plans for different finish options, but again, I doubt these will happen until after the first run of series 2 subs are released in a week or so. A 12.1 sub will replace the 10.2 out now - with similar performance. Lots of stuff on the horizon, and none of it seems to happen fast enough for us customers! This complaint also extends especially to pictures, since they don't have the series 2 to take any of.

Best of luck with your decision, I waited over 5 months for the 18.2 series 1, and couldn't be happier with my choice! It's a real beast of a performer!
post #642 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

So I was going to ask the folks at Chase Home Theater how much I would be to ship the CS18.2 to me..... getting closer to buying one. And I get the automate operating telling me I'm caller 2 in line with an expected wait time of 187 minutes haha. I couldnt help but start laughing. So 5 mins go by and then the operater says the wait time is 183 minutes haha. So guessing there's a glitch or theyre out to lunch haha. Anyway does anyone know ( I'm sure Craig and Co know) if there will be a CS18.2 series 3.... and if so what the difference will be. As they're no longer making the series 1, I assume they'll create a series 3. Any clue ?

As post above, I'm sure there will be future subwoofer iterations (as there are for SVS, Eaton etc), but nothing like a "series 3" on any immediate horizon that has been posted at CHT forum.

Mike
post #643 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Hi guys ... Sorry about the phone call. Our provider was having problems today.

I also just found out Jack is in the hospital. He has been ailing for some time now.

I will be back in the office tomorrow, please feel free to PM me with any questions and I will contact you then.

Series two subs are on line, no series three for the foreseeable future.
post #644 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

thoughts and prayers.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #645 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post
You have a PM.

Ray
post #646 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Jack was up in the middle of last night, helping this night owl with the CHT forum.

Hope this finds you doing better, Jack.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #647 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Tesseract. I apologize in advance for this off topic post, but I just want to disabuse one and all of any idea of going into the hospital to get some rest. FUGEDABOUDIT!

I asked one nurse who had just awakened me the second time within twenty minutes in the middle of the night, why she found it necessary to do so when another nurse had asked me the identical questions and poked and listened to the same places just a few minutes before. Her reply was "oh that must have been the respiratory nurse."

That of course, in my mind, raised several questions, like "Is the respiratory nurse an incompetent who is incapable of gathering correct information?" And "is there some reason you two are not talking to each other? Do you dislike each other? Are you competing with each other to see who can get more information? If not, "why don't you just cheat by copying her notes and let me get some sleep which will probably be better for my condition that WAKING ME EVERY 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!

Sorry, as you can tell, I am not going to be considered the ideal patient. By the time I get out of here I suspect all concerned will be glad to see me go, particularly me.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Jack

post #648 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

Thanks Tesseract. I apologize in advance for this off topic post, but I just want to disabuse one and all of any idea of going into the hospital to get some rest. FUGEDABOUDIT!

I asked one nurse who had just awakened me the second time within twenty minutes in the middle of the night, why she found it necessary to do so when another nurse had asked me the identical questions and poked and listened to the same places just a few minutes before. Her reply was "oh that must have been the respiratory nurse."

That of course, in my mind, raised several questions, like "Is the respiratory nurse an incompetent who is incapable of gathering correct information?" And "is there some reason you two are not talking to each other? Do you dislike each other? Are you competing with each other to see who can get more information? If not, "why don't you just cheat by copying her notes and let me get some sleep which will probably be better for my condition that WAKING ME EVERY 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!

Sorry, as you can tell, I am not going to be considered the ideal patient. By the time I get out of here I suspect all concerned will be glad to see me go, particularly me.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Give em hell Jack. I am also one who feels contempt or a deep repugnance for hospitals and their staff and they then have the nerve to gouge us of our money. Oh and get well soon.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #649 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Glad you are feeling better Jack! And to let you know I still am enjoying the heck out of my 18.2...it is one awesome subwoofer.
post #650 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 AM

I too am still loving my 18.2 for music. It has a quiet but heavy weight to it that gives my music a relaxing "Barry White" feel to every song. I LOVE this sub!

And I hope you get well Jack.
post #651 of 689 Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

been out of the loop for a bit, what is the latest on dual 18.1 cabs and an external amp? that would be the deal for most folks who want some serious bass.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #652 of 689 Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 AM

So are the CS18.2s shipping again yet?
post #653 of 689 Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Scooby - Check your PM
post #654 of 689 Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

been out of the loop for a bit, what is the latest on dual 18.1 cabs and an external amp? that would be the deal for most folks who want some serious bass.

Picked my 18.1Ts up a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are available. And yes!, they do make for some serious bass. I don't have room for an 18.2, so dual 18.1s was the better option and also better as I haven't had much success getting allround good bass with a single sub.
post #655 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Liked: 19
Purchased a 18.1 Series 2 today. Looking forward to getting it! Pretty good upgrade from a Polk PSW505.
post #656 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

Picked my 18.1Ts up a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are available. And yes!, they do make for some serious bass. I don't have room for an 18.2, so dual 18.1s was the better option and also better as I haven't had much success getting allround good bass with a single sub.

I got the 18.1T's because I was convinced it would be better to have two subs than one for better FR. Turns out that, so far, my best configuration are the two subs stacked in a corner. Not done trying, but so far no advantage to dual subs yet.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #657 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

I got the 18.1T's because I was convinced it would be better to have two subs than one for better FR. Turns out that, so far, my best configuration are the two subs stacked in a corner. Not done trying, but so far no advantage to dual subs yet.

Do you have measurements comparing the different locations or is this just a subjective conclusion?

FWIW, most people will never hear the advantage of properly placed subs. it first takes measurements to confirm the best response then it takes time to learn what the best response sounds like. We all generaly start with a very badly skewed idea of the best sounding bass and its generally a peaky, higher SPL at higher frequencies that we like.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #658 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM

Got 2 CS18.2s reserved out of the next available batch. Planning to try two different set ups.
A) both subs colocated in the front left corner.
B) one in the front left corner and one in the back right corner

I don't have a spl meter (need to get one I know) so ill have to try and distinguish between the two set ups, hopefully one works for my room.
post #659 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Do you have measurements comparing the different locations or is this just a subjective conclusion?

FWIW, most people will never hear the advantage of properly placed subs. it first takes measurements to confirm the best response then it takes time to learn what the best response sounds like. We all generaly start with a very badly skewed idea of the best sounding bass and its generally a peaky, higher SPL at higher frequencies that we like.

Yep, with measurements. Unfortunately, I have limited placement options. I'm sure there are places those two subs could go that would be better than stacked in a corner, but so far they measure better stacked. Anywhere else and I have a massive 15 dB null right down the center of my room. I still have some options but I got tired of moving subs around. I'm going to run some numbers through Cara to see where I might have the best chances, rather than trial & error.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #660 of 689 Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yep, with measurements. Unfortunately, I have limited placement options. I'm sure there are places those two subs could go that would be better than stacked in a corner, but so far they measure better stacked. Anywhere else and I have a massive 15 dB null right down the center of my room. I still have some options but I got tired of moving subs around. I'm going to run some numbers through Cara to see where I might have the best chances, rather than trial & error.
Thanks, its a good case study. I agree with the tedious effort of moving subs around. At some point you just give up and then enjoy them.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page