Infinity HPS-1000 subwoofer died - $400 to fix...fix or replace? Replace with what? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Fix, Replace, or Let Die
Fix - it's a great sub 1 100.00%
Replace with my recommendation below 0 0%
Let it go - you don't need two subs anyway 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

1 2 
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Infinity HPS-1000 subwoofer died - $400 to fix...fix or replace? Replace with what?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 10:38 AM 08-17-2010
Hey guys I have a Infinity HPS-1000 subwoofer. MSRP $1800. I paid $550 or so for it back in 2002 from an auction site called ubid.com. It died recently and I took it to an Infinity authorized repair shop and paid the $80 diagnostic fee. The shop called me back and said the repair bill would be a bit over $400 but the $80 would apply to the total bill.

It's been a great sub and I've got a second working one - which is nice to have a matched pair. Do you think the HPS-1000 is still worth a $400 repair bill with a minimal 90 day warranty on the work? Or would I be better off buying a new set of subs. What subs could be comparable for the cost of the repair bill?

mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 10:50 AM 08-17-2010
If you can get the shop to extend the warrantee, parts and labor, for 2 years instead of 90 days, I would consider the repair .. just me ..
vraxoin's Avatar vraxoin 02:44 PM 08-17-2010
What did they say was actually wrong with it?

I'm inclined to agree that fixing it and keeping the matched pair could very well be worth it. I'm not sure that you're going to find too much that would compare for the $400 repair cost. However, that 90 day warranty feels a little short for the amount spent. Unless that's just for labor, and the parts, like a new amp, have a separate and longer mfg coverage.
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 03:04 PM 08-17-2010
IMO it would be best to have it repaired, but $400 is alot of money to have something repair when you don't know really whats wrong with it. I checked a few sites for reviews and they all seem positive about the sub. Are you happy with them? What would your budget be if you decided to get a new sub or a pair? I would think performance wise that something like the Epik Empire, SVS PB or PC plus or the HSU Research VFT 3 MK3 would match or exceed the Infinity. But if your budget is just $400 then just have it repaired. But to truely match of exceed the Infinity I would sell the other save up and use the $400 as well, $1500 is were I would set the minimum budget at for a pair.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 12:16 AM 08-18-2010
The Infinity HPS-1000 is supposedly the best home theatre sub infinity ever released. The guy at the repair shop said therer were many little things wrong in the power supply he named off a bunch of parts - all which mean very little to me. He said you can't just replace it with a whole unit because Infinity quite making/selling the whole PSU units. He has to replace multiple components in the existing PSU. I'm happy with the subs yes. But hate to pay $400 for repairs.

I was considering a couple SVS ultras about four years back - but they've escaped my price interst now. Used to be you could get a pair for about $1700, now a pair is $3000ish. The infinity HPS is deep and low and I get lots of compliments on it when people come over to watch a movie. I too doubt I could get a better sub for anywhere near $400. But it's a tough decision to spend that much on repairs. I think I will talk to the shop about a longer warranty option. The Infinity authorized repair center guy said the amp and power supply in this sub are nothing short of impressive. He said the PSU/amp unit produces 159 volts DC which is not common and to his knowledge there is no aftermarket PSU that could work for a cheaper swap.
edgebsl's Avatar edgebsl 01:32 AM 08-18-2010
I would repair it. Although there are many things better out there now, $400 won't get you a good replacement. Maybe $800 and things start looking pretty good.

If they will gaurantee their repair for some time, it's not a bad deal. Your sub should do you well for more years to come.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 08:05 AM 08-18-2010
The main thing I see here is the fact that you have a matched pair. I also run dual matched subs so I know where you're coming from. $400 may seem like a lot, however, these are great units. If you had just one, I would probably say replace .. if you were to go with new units, your cost is 2x a single unit, assuming you still want to run a matched pair.

As a final note, I owned a small electronics repair business for 10 years. If a customer stated "I'd like to get it fixed, but 90 days parts and labor seems to short for the money spent" .. I would say, "What would make you feel comfortable..?" If he said 2 years parts and labor, I would decide if I felt the repair would hold up that long. If I thought it would, I would agree. After all, business is business, and in this economy, shops can use all they can get.

If I felt that the repair had a good chance of failure short of two years, I would not do the deal. I'm telling you this because if you have this discussion with the shop, and they say "No way" .. it should give you a pretty good indication of their comfort level with the repair. IOW.. if they say "No way" .. I would walk, since the odds are the fix won't hold up.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 04:12 PM 08-23-2010
Thanks for the input guys...You've made me lean towards getting the repair. I was previously just thinking of discarding it.
thehun's Avatar thehun 11:59 AM 08-24-2010
I had that sub about a decade ago, I did manage to fry the amp and woofer's coil got damaged as well. I ended up replacing the woofer with a JL model which was half the price the shop wanted for a replacement JBL sub that's in these subs, and used a Mackie pro amp which I owned to power it[1200w into 4ohms]. I agree that the repair is probably your best bet here, and if the amp fails again you can go with an outboard amp like I did.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 10:19 AM 08-26-2010
I guess I mispoke original - it isn't 90 day warranty - it's 30 days. 30 days is his shops standard he says. He told me he wouldn't do a year because the parts they get directly from Infinity only come with a 30 day warranty. He said he'd do 60 days which is doubling the parts warranty and putting his tail on the line for any potential outage after the $30 days.

The shop is an Infinity authorized repair center and has been in continous business for 24 years. The tech is friendly enough --- I guess I'll hope for the best.

Total repair and diag cost is just about $400 with tax.

*crosses fingers*
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 10:24 AM 08-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I had that sub about a decade ago, I did manage to fry the amp and woofer's coil got damaged as well. I ended up replacing the woofer with a JL model which was half the price the shop wanted for a replacement JBL sub that's in these subs, and used a Mackie pro amp which I owned to power it[1200w into 4ohms]. I agree that the repair is probably your best bet here, and if the amp fails again you can go with an outboard amp like I did.

How did you replace the woofer? There appears to be no ability for easy replacement, the screws are all on the inside of the box aren't they? I don't see a way to even get into change the sub? Almost like it was glued and finished to be non replaceable.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 04:36 PM 08-30-2010
I was poking around in some of the other subwoofer threads and ran across the Outlaw deal that is currently going on.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

How would this sub compare to my Infinity HPS-1000? Keeping in mind my Infinity HPS-1000 is a 15" driver with two passive 15" radiators on left and right side. So there are three 15" cones moving. The Infinity has a 1000 watt amp for comparison.

The HSU Research VFT 3 MK3 looks to only had a 250 watt amp? How could that be comparable to this outlaw and the Infinity? It's not like Infinity is a no name company that would vastly over-rate their amps. I'm familiar with peak and RMS - is it just the RMS rating on the HSU vs. the peak rating on the Infinity?
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 05:55 PM 08-30-2010
IMO it isn't and upgrade compared to the Outlaw or HSU. Now the HSU might best the Infinity in music like the terms people throw around "tightness" or "quick". HSU and Outlaw are both great companys but I don't think those models will out perform those Infinitys to warrant a upgrade, not much of a return on investment. If you really want a good step up in performance to justify spending money look at something like the SVS Ultra, Elemental Designs A7s 650, A7 450 or A7 350, those would best the Infinitys I would think in movies, as far as musical ability the Rythmik F15 would be the best off the top of my head but you would lose deep extension and output compared to the Infinity.
thehun's Avatar thehun 03:33 AM 08-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

How did you replace the woofer? There appears to be no ability for easy replacement, the screws are all on the inside of the box aren't they? I don't see a way to even get into change the sub? Almost like it was glued and finished to be non replaceable.

The woofer is on the bottom, after you remove the grill, you have to remove the entire baffle with the woofer. I'm going by memory here from about 10 years ago.
thehun's Avatar thehun 03:54 AM 08-31-2010
Quote:

I was poking around in some of the other subwoofer threads and ran across the Outlaw deal that is currently going on.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

How would this sub compare to my Infinity HPS-1000? Keeping in mind my Infinity HPS-1000 is a 15" driver with two passive 15" radiators on left and right side. So there are three 15" cones moving. The Infinity has a 1000 watt amp for comparison.

The HSU Research VFT 3 MK3 looks to only had a 250 watt amp? How could that be comparable to this outlaw and the Infinity? It's not like Infinity is a no name company that would vastly over-rate their amps. I'm familiar with peak and RMS - is it just the RMS rating on the HSU vs. the peak rating on the Infinity?

The JBL made woofer inside of the HPS-1000 is not very efficient, so it will need more power, then a more efficient one in the same box. Using wattage alone between subs are useless, without comparing the the woofer specs, the size of the box[internal] and it's design. Also the PR's in the Infinity are tuned around 27hz which means it will start to roll of below that by 24db/octave. The MFR's spec on the low end response is optimistic indeed. I was able to EQ it flast to about 22hz @ my LP, but that was with the JL Audio driver, and the outboard pro amp with it's true 1200w power. Anyway both the HSU and the Outlaw would dig deeper then the Infinity, but above 30hz this sub is loud as hell, no doubt about and would leave those in the dust.
gotcory's Avatar gotcory 02:49 PM 09-25-2010
So, did you get it fixed?

I also have one of these, bought from ubid about the same time for same price. Was a great sub, then it also died... slowly. Would take longer and longer to power up, until would not power up any more.

It went from a couple of seconds to 15 seconds, a minute, to the last time it came on, I left the power switch on with high hopes and it took a couple days. From then on, I left it on! Until, I powered it off when I went on a long vacation, never could get it back on

I bought the service manual online but never got around to disecting it... and unless I see something obvious like a blown capacitor, I have no idea what to look for.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Archaea, if you do get it fixed, please let us know how it all turned out.

Thanks,
Cory
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 01:16 AM 09-26-2010
Shop still has it. I will report back when it is finally fixed.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 08:26 AM 10-08-2010
I got it about a week ago -

The shop repaired it good as new. About 4 days after I brought it home it died again.

hope this isn't going to be a trend.

I called the shop - they said bring it back in and well look at it again.

It's on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with a belkin 1080 joule surge protector. A 100 watt light is on that same outlet and it is still kicking - so I don't know.
gotcory's Avatar gotcory 09:33 AM 10-08-2010
Ouch. Did you get a breakdown of items they replaced?
riker1384's Avatar riker1384 01:24 PM 10-15-2010
I bought one of these with a dead amp for $30, planning to fix or replace the amp but I couldn't decide which. Reading this, it seems like fixing the amp might be a bad idea, if it's a bad design that may fail again. Is there any reason I shouldn't get a PA amplifier to power this? It would be cheaper than a 1000W home audio subwoofer amp, and if I buy used it might be cheaper than a $400 repair.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 04:09 PM 10-15-2010
You got a good price on the sub, even broken! A PA amp often won't drive the real low frequencies as well as an actual dedicated subwoofer amp from what I've read. Your mileage will vary depending on the brand of amp you buy etc. I haven't gotten it back the second time. I sure hope it'll stay working for a few years anyway. My money tree died and so $400 is not easily replaced.
Ghost22's Avatar Ghost22 01:28 PM 10-22-2010
My buddy has the same sub, and there is something wrong with the power supply, but i cant seem to track down the problem.

Anyone know where i can get a schematic, or the service manual?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 09:43 PM 02-08-2011
I still haven't gotten it back after this return a second time to the shop. They say they are having trouble getting it to turn on....AND NOW in the meantime my second HPS-1000 died during my 2011 superbowl party. I think the rca connector input failed because anytime ANYTHING is connected to it the subwoofer just hums at a incredibly loud volume. If I pull the input cord the sound stops. Luckily the power stays on --- so this one may not be as complicated a fix - perhaps just a spot weld or replace of the input RCA jack input???

Crap -- now I have no subwoofer at all until I get the first one back from the shop and this one fixed. It has renewed my interest in this topic.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 09:43 PM 02-17-2011
I still haven't got it back. I called the shop and they said they were still having trouble with the sub and haven't figured out the problem yet. Said the power supply is VERY complicated and advanced. This is an infinity authorized repair center --- officially sanctioned on the infinity/harmon kardon website!

I'm wondering why I and no one else thought of replacing the amp myself. I could have probably purchased a 500 watt bash plate amp and cut out a hole on the back of the sub and fixed this myself for a couple hundred bucks. I just had the idea given to me by a random guy I called on craigslist in regards to a used HSU sub he was selling.

$230ish for a 500 watt subwoofer plate amp! The Infinity HPS-1000 has a 1000 watt amp, but I'm guessing that's peak and not RMS, so the 500 watt RMS amp from bash should probably be about equivalent?

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=86791419

I have a PA amp and have used it, but didn't like the fact that I was using a external amp and had wires running to the sub -- I didn't even think about buying a plate amp!?!?!
thehun's Avatar thehun 02:20 AM 02-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker1384 View Post

Is there any reason I shouldn't get a PA amplifier to power this? It would be cheaper than a 1000W home audio subwoofer amp, and if I buy used it might be cheaper than a $400 repair.

Yes that's what I did see my posts above.
thehun's Avatar thehun 02:25 AM 02-19-2011
Quote:

I still haven't got it back. I called the shop and they said they were still having trouble with the sub and haven't figured out the problem yet. Said the power supply is VERY complicated and advanced. This is an infinity authorized repair center --- officially sanctioned on the infinity/harmon kardon website!

I'm wondering why I and no one else thought of replacing the amp myself. I could have probably purchased a 500 watt bash plate amp and cut out a hole on the back of the sub and fixed this myself for a couple hundred bucks. I just had the idea given to me by a random guy I called on craigslist in regards to a used HSU sub he was selling.

$230ish for a 500 watt subwoofer plate amp! The Infinity HPS-1000 has a 1000 watt amp, but I'm guessing that's peak and not RMS, so the 500 watt RMS amp from bash should probably be about equivalent?

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=86791419

I have a PA amp and have used it, but didn't like the fact that I was using a external amp and had wires running to the sub -- I didn't even think about buying a plate amp!?!?!

I don't know man you rather cut a hole into the enclosure then run wires to it?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 11:05 AM 02-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I don't know man you rather cut a hole into the enclosure then run wires to it?

All my wires are in wall. I redid my home theatre room. I don't care if the back of the enclosure doesn't look stock. You can't see it.
Charger Geek's Avatar Charger Geek 04:23 PM 04-24-2011
Archaea, what did you end up doing regarding amp(s) for your HPS-1K(s)?

FWIW?...I just found this thread, as I also have two of these subs with dead amps(grrrr). I was thinking of getting the new HSU VTF-15H & dumping these dinosaurs on Craigslist, but now I figured I'd try & revive one to see how it sounds with a new amp? I was looking at a few pro amps, but just ordered the Oaudio 500w BASH, as it has many features that a pro amp does not have, including EQ.

Cheers
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 06:45 PM 04-24-2011
One of my HPS-1000 subs is still in the shop (got it back once since november) and it immediately broke again (wouldn't power on), I took it back cause it was just a few days into the warranty.

I've called the shop several times since then and they've never got it fixed. The second sub died at the superbowl party this year. It just up and started humming super loud and won't stop.

I'm disgusted with them and haven't messed with them. The newly broken one sits in a corner. I've not bought another amp for it yet, but I'd take that route over getting it repaired, my repair record from both Infinity Authorized shops is terrible.

If you find an amp plate that fits in the back let me know and I'll likely follow your test implementation. I'm tired of dumping money in them for now. They were fabulous subs, but they have too complicated of power supplies and that's what dies. The Infinity repair shops say the power supplies are putting out enough DC volts to kill a man if he touched it when it is on -- IIRC it was 150+ volts DC.

The HSU VTF-15H is a much better sub anyway. I've heard one since then, absolutely a fantastic sub. If you have the money don't hesitate to buy one. The Infinity subs MIGHT go louder than the HSU --- MIGHT ---- but the HSU goes much lower and "FEELS" much better.

I put one of the Infinity HPS subs in my car one time powered by a rockford fosgate power 800a2 amp just to see how it sounded. It was awesome, but obviously too big If you could get an aftermarket amp for the Infinities it would be fine.
Charger Geek's Avatar Charger Geek 05:02 PM 04-26-2011
Well, the Oaudio 500 W BASH is 'in the mail' so I'll let ya know how it works(sounds)?

I'm still trying to decide if I'll cut a hole in the back of the sub(around the useless inputs) or just drilling a hole in the bottom & hard-wiring the amp to the driver? I've seen pics of guys building a simple free standing box & mounting the amp in it...

In the mean-time, I've been reading up on some tried n' true DIY sub designs...If I can buy some time with this Oaudio/HPS-1K set up, that will give me a chance to do some serious homework, as to what I really want?

cheers
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop