Infinity BU-2: Advice needed, is my subwoofer blown/in need of repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Infinity BU-2 that I have had for approx. 10 years. Recently while watching movies (Avatar, Shutter Island, Terminator 3) I have noticed that in scenes with large explosions my sub is giving off a muffled, ribbed type noise that I don't think is right. It still seems fine during less demanding scenes. Here is how I have the sub setup:

Crossover on the sub is maxed
Volume on the sub is set to approx half way
Crossover on the receiver is set to 80 Hz
Receiver is an Onkyo SR-606

I wouldn't be surprised if it needs repair since its been around for over 10 years and has been through approx. 5 movies. I appreciate any advice that is given. I just want to be sure before I go out and pick up a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Any ideas? I'm not sure how to diagnose a bad sub nor am I sure I have it setup properly. Again, any help is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Reviving an old post, what did you end up doing? I'm having the same issue with the same sub. The McGyver in my is about to take it apart not knowing what I'll do once I do that. Then again, that's how I fix most of the stuff in the house smile.gif.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I honesty believe with that Infinity sub you would be better off replacing than fixing it. A friend of mine had that sub,
so I've heard it, and wasn't very impressed. I think it sold for $500 back in the day. You can go to your local
electronic repair shop though, and get a quote for a repair. It's pretty a pretty dated sub, but has served
you well for 10 yrs. It is still working, but I would not be surprised if the amp was on it's way out.
Also your setup seems to be fine.

Vardo
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
This is great. Hope this solves the problem for all of your sub issues. One jungle book birthday cake character, one ice cream stick and one crayon which seemed to be welded to the box. None of these rattled if I shook it nor could I reach them with my hand through the hole but when I took the speaker off they jumped down. Lol, kids! But yeah, the fact that a jungle book dude is in here dates the sub. My rattle is now gone. However, having just listened to some newer ones at Magnolia I'm feeling the need for a purchase. Run 7.2 and keep this guy around until he chokes. Good stuff.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A subwoofer amplifier repair can run $200-$300+ and be returned with a 30-90 day guarantee. If out of town for repair, you pay to and from shipping. You could consider a replacement plate amp from Parts Express but you may need to cut and paste to get it to fit.

Individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 in the under $300 range and the Hsu STF-2 in the under $400 range.