Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post

I got rid of my Seismic110, wasn't performing up to my normal standards. Even after break in and PBK ran it continued to flutter when really called on to be truly awesome. The 3400 was pretty nice and I miss it. Using a Triad In Room Omni Bronze now. Thinking of a Sub 12, I like the Paradigms but I'm also considering a super cube reference from Def Tech. I dunno, just lost in bass world.....

You won't be disappointed with a Sub 12 - it will easily outperform a DSP 3400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post

I got rid of my Seismic110, wasn't performing up to my normal standards. Even after break in and PBK ran it continued to flutter when really called on to be truly awesome. The 3400 was pretty nice and I miss it. Using a Triad In Room Omni Bronze now. Thinking of a Sub 12, I like the Paradigms but I'm also considering a super cube reference from Def Tech. I dunno, just lost in bass world.....

I said it before and i agree with 519audiofan...i owned a DSP-3400 my self then a seismic12...the seismic12 easyly outperformed the 3400 and then the sub12 i now have outperformes both of them!...fast.. clean..and it goes low more then enough for ht and music....you would not be desapointed!.
post #33 of 58 Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

Pink Floyd-Welcome to the Machine from "Wish You Were Here"
Primus-Pork Soda
Disturbed-Ten Thousand Fists
Tool-Undertow
Alice In Chains unplugged
Seether-Disclaimer

Thanks.

Dark Side of the Moon was the winner (not that SHE was all that impressed). Weezer's Raditude also impressed me. I find that a lot of my older CDs tend to be "light" on the bass when compared to newer stuff.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #34 of 58 Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

Thanks.

Dark Side of the Moon was the winner (not that SHE was all that impressed). Weezer's Raditude also impressed me. I find that a lot of my older CDs tend to be "light" on the bass when compared to newer stuff.

"Shake Hands With Beef" by Primus will give your system a bass workout!

Primus in Brooklyn last summer...
LL

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #35 of 58 Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #36 of 58 Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 AM

That review sounded almost like it was written by a Paradigm employee.

Thanks for the link.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #37 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Getting back to the Seismic 110 - I recently upgraded my old PSW for a Seismic 110 and have been very impressed with it so far. It really packs a punch for a small PSW in a 5K cu ft room. Also received WAF - since my HT is in the main living room of our house.
post #38 of 58 Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Sorry for trudging up an old thread, but I'm looking at picking up a Seismic 110, and just had a quick question.

Anyone know how well this sub will blend with the MilleniaOne speakers?

I'm sold on the MilleniaOnes, but am not a huge fan of the lack of low-end bass the Millenia Sub has (or the price tag!), and am looking for a sub with better low-end performance that will also blend into the 100 Hz to 120Hz range that the MilleniaOne speakers need.

Thanks so much!
post #39 of 58 Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post

Anyone know how well [the Seismic 110] will blend with the MilleniaOne speakers?

I'm sold on the MilleniaOnes, but am not a huge fan of the lack of low-end bass the Millenia Sub has (or the price tag!), and am looking for a sub with better low-end performance that will also blend into the 100 Hz to 120Hz range that the MilleniaOne speakers need.

The Seismic 110’s broad usable bandwidth makes it an ideal choice for setups where you might choose a higher-than-normal LP filter frequency. Some might argue it is the ideal Paradigm sub for that type of application; since the Seismic 110 is the brand’s highest-end 10” subwoofer.

I have both the Seismic 110 and MillenniaOne system; and I support this message.

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #40 of 58 Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

The Seismic 110's broad usable bandwidth makes it an ideal choice for setups where you might choose a higher-than-normal LP filter frequency. Some might argue it is the ideal Paradigm sub for that type of application; since the Seismic 110 is the brand's highest-end 10 subwoofer.

I have both the Seismic 110 and MillenniaOne system; and I support this message.

Nice, thanks!

Just got an e-mail back from Paradigm saying almost the exact same thing! I think my decision has been made, Seismic 110 here I come!
post #41 of 58 Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

Thanks.

Hey Pillboy49,
Can i have ur personal opinion of how the compo of the Studio 20's sound with the seismic 110? I have the Studio 20's on stereo and am looking into the seismic 110. thanks in advanced!
post #42 of 58 Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Wow this is weird i was at Ovation, the only place around here that sells Paradigm... Asking about the 110 Yesterday! then i find this thread...

Anyways so i have a room that is just screwed.. Its on the second story, The ceiling is into a triangle, it is 11.8X13.2. Anyways just a horrible room for lower frqs. I looked into the PBK... The guy at ovation told me that it doesnt change anything about the subs output or anything. It just shows you what spot the sub registers best.... I kinda thought he was blowing smoke and didnt know anything...

I thought it correctled the sub for you and helped make it best for that seating position? Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

Also ever since my friend showed me his Studio 590, 100s, and 60s. I have loved Paradigm. I would love to get into some paradigm speakers but the $$$. Anyways so long story short a friend is letting me start working with his company and it has the chance to pay very well. So I have been really thinking about Paradigm Studios/monitors.

He tells me Paradigm does not offer anything that will be better then my current Rythmik FV12 Ported sub. Im thinking what are you smoking? He says I need a sub with a front Active and 2 Passive woofers.

So what do you guys think? Also I would like to do 2 subs and im thinking either the 110s or two 12s.. I would really like to have duel subs so what do you guys think?

This will be going into a bigger room in a few years just right now if i have the money and audio last for awhile so figured why not?

Also debating between upgrading the 1121K to a Yamaha 2010 i will try to run 7.2 in that room lol

Thanks!!!
post #43 of 58 Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34

~

post #44 of 58 Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

I thought it correctled the sub for you and helped make it best for that seating position? Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

So what do you guys think? Also I would like to do 2 subs and im thinking either the 110s or two 12s.. I would really like to have duel subs so what do you guys think?

This will be going into a bigger room in a few years just right now if i have the money and audio last for awhile so figured why not?

Yes, you are correct PBK does digital filtering to make the sub's response as flat as it can be averaged over number of microphone positions.

If you really are going to be moving to a larger area and want to go with sealed sub, I'd aim higher than two Sub12's. You should start thinking about two ULS15, E15, or Sub15. PBK is less of an necessity when you go duals because they naturally have a smoother frequency response, and usually your AVR's room correction is more than good enough.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #45 of 58 Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM

I just moved and my Paradigm S2s are now in a room that is 15' x 30', with a 14' vaulted ceiling and hardwood flooring. I have never owned a subwoofer, but need one now and know very little about them. My setup is for music only.

I spoke with two different people at Paradigm. One person suggested buying the Sub1 or the Studio Sub 12. The other person suggested that I would get better (more even) sound using a pair of subwoofers--Studio Sub 12s or Seismic 110.

Any feedback regarding the best Paradigm subwoofer(s) given the challenges of the room would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #46 of 58 Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego0522 View Post

I just moved and my Paradigm S2s are now in a room that is 15' x 30', with a 14' vaulted ceiling and hardwood flooring. I have never owned a subwoofer, but need one now and know very little about them. My setup is for music only.

I spoke with two different people at Paradigm. One person suggested buying the Sub1 or the Studio Sub 12. The other person suggested that I would get better (more even) sound using a pair of subwoofers--Studio Sub 12s or Seismic 110.

Any feedback regarding the best Paradigm subwoofer(s) given the challenges of the room would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If your setup is for music only another option is upgrading to S6s or S8s instead of a sub.
post #47 of 58 Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM

For the sake of context I’ll simplify this a bit…

The Seismic 110 is Paradigm’s best 10” subwoofer. It has an 850w RMS amplifier; and is Paradigm’s least expensive subwoofer with a balanced input option.

The Studio Sub 12 is Paradigm’s best 12” subwoofer, and has DUAL 850w RMS amplifiers (1700w RMS total) that drive each of the driver’s 2 voice coils. Very trick.

The Studio Sub 15 is Paradigm’s best 15” subwoofer, and has the same trick dual 850w/1700w amplifier design as the Studio Sub 12.

The Signature Sub 1 uses SIX 8” drivers in a very smart vibration canceling design that does wonders to reduce distortion and increases linearity. The Sub 1 uses the same dual 850w/1700w amplifier design as the Studio Sub12/15.

The Signature Sub 2 is literally a reference subwoofer for the entire industry. Unbelievable sonic performance, but what gets all the press is the big power… Power Factor Correction amplifier design delivers an honest 4500w RMS when connected to a 240v AC outlet, or 3000w RMS when using a conventional 120v outlet. Nuts.

dream in algorithms

twitter
post #48 of 58 Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I will stay with my S2s, but am confused by the conflicting advice from Paradigm as to whether I would get better sound (music, not HT) from one subwoofer or from two subwoofers given the room configuration. Is there an advantage to either one subwoofer or two subwoofers when configuring a system for only music?

I am not anxious to spend the $$$, but would be willing to buy one Sub 1 or two Studio Sub 12s if the room acoustics (15' x 30', with hardwood floors & 14' vaulted ceiling) would enable me to enjoy their full capability? No real heavy metal on my playlist...classic rock that I like to crank up on occasion, but mostly acoustical music.

Or given what I believe to be challenging room acoustics, would I get better value by spending less and buying one Studio Sub 12 or two Seismic 110s?
post #49 of 58 Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM

519audiofan, turns out your advice is what I am going to do after all. The more I looked, the less confident I became that I could find the sound that I was looking for by pairing a subwoofer to the S2s for a music only setup. I know that there are great subwoofers out there, but your advice, in my opinion, proved to be the best solution.
post #50 of 58 Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi All,

I was just wondering what the actual measured Frequency Response of the Seismic 110 is? Paradigm only states a "Cut Off Frequency: 35Hz-150Hz" but I am wondering if that is accurate as there are no +/-3dB figures. Has anyone been able to determine or know what the true FR is & if this sub really does go up to 150Hz?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy!
post #51 of 58 Old 05-19-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
You're looking at the wrong specification, the cut-off frequency gives no indication of the frequency response.

From the owner's manual:
Quote:
Subwoofer Cut-Off and Bypass Option
Controls the subwoofer’s upper-frequency cut-off. This can be set to match the low-frequency roll-off characteristics of your system’s speakers. For example: If your speakers play to approximately 80 Hz, you can set the subwoofer cut-off frequency to approximately 80 Hz. If you are using an external subwoofer cut-off control, setting this to maximum effectively bypasses the subwoofer’s built-in cut-off control.
Bypass option allows you to bypass the subwoofer’s built-in cut-off control to let your preamp/processor’s or receiver’s internal bass management system provide the crossover function.
post #52 of 58 Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

You're looking at the wrong specification, the cut-off frequency gives no indication of the frequency response.

From the owner's manual:

Hi,

Thank you very much! Where and/or how can one find the true FR of this sub then? Paradigm state that it has a lower limit of 18z but makes no mention at all of what the FR upper limit is which is very frustrating. I have read what reviews I can find & they do not contain this information either. I wish to make sure it goes up to at least 150Hz so it can blend in well with my satellite speakers.

Many Kind Thanks,
Bazzy!
post #53 of 58 Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
You're everywhere my friend! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Thank you very much! Where and/or how can one find the true FR of this sub then? Paradigm state that it has a lower limit of 18z but makes no mention at all of what the FR upper limit is which is very frustrating. I have read what reviews I can find & they do not contain this information either. I wish to make sure it goes up to at least 150Hz so it can blend in well with my satellite speakers.

This link has some info, but you may have already seen it. Paradigm doesn't seem to be all that eager to submit products for review (trust me on that wink.gif). It could be why there aren't many to be found.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #54 of 58 Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You're everywhere my friend! smile.gif
This link has some info, but you may have already seen it. Paradigm doesn't seem to be all that eager to submit products for review (trust me on that wink.gif). It could be why there aren't many to be found.

Hi Jim!

You are right my friend! The thicker one is (meaning, I) - the more they need to read/learn upon! Would have been SO much easier if Paradigm had actually quoted figures as one would expect!

Thank you for that review - I have referenced it before & am somewhat confused by the FR Graph & the reviewers comments. I gather that the "Variable Cut Off Frequency" that Paradigm list as "35Hz-150Hz is not the same as the actual FR for this sub even though they have emailed me it can indeed go up to 150Hz.

The reviewer states that the (red line) shows that the FR Graph is "Flat across the spectrum" but it seems to be flat from about 20Hz-65Hz & then falls off steeply. Should it not be "flat" all the way from 20Hz-150Hz from the 80dB point if the sub could really go up to 150Hz? It was explained to me that this might be due to the reviewer having a setting of 80Hz - is this true? If so, does it not seem from the graph that the drop off is very steep & roll off is not so gradual?

It leaves me wondering what the true +/-3dB FR is for this sub & if it really can go up to 150Hz. Truth be told, I love the small size of this sub & it is sealed & I may have deal coming up & need to act soon so just want to be really sure & do not want to make a huge/costly mistake!

I know, I know, I have subwoofer OCD but I partially blame you for teaching me so well, writing such great reviews & getting me hooked on the subject!! biggrin.gif

What do you think - should I go for it?

Many Thanks My Friend,
Bazzy!
post #55 of 58 Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Thank you for that review - I have referenced it before & am somewhat confused by the FR Graph & the reviewers comments. I gather that the "Variable Cut Off Frequency" that Paradigm list as "35Hz-150Hz is not the same as the actual FR for this sub even though they have emailed me it can indeed go up to 150Hz.

That's correct, they aren't the same. The 'variable cut off' they're referring to is a low pass filter (LPF) and applies to the upper cut off frequency, not the overall response of the subwoofer. It's to assist with better integration between the sub and mains. If you're using an AV receiver that has a crossover setting most people won't use the LPF because the receiver is performing the same function.

Quote:

The reviewer states that the (red line) shows that the FR Graph is "Flat across the spectrum" but it seems to be flat from about 20Hz-65Hz & then falls off steeply. Should it not be "flat" all the way from 20Hz-150Hz from the 80dB point if the sub could really go up to 150Hz? It was explained to me that this might be due to the reviewer having a setting of 80Hz - is this true? If so, does it not seem from the graph that the drop off is very steep & roll off is not so gradual?

He might have set the LPF to 80Hz, which would explain why it started rolling off like that. An acoustic suspension subwoofer that isn't having it's frequency response artificially boosted is usually 2nd order, meaning 12dB per octave of roll off. That slope appears to be in line with a 2nd order.

However, adjusting the LPF would be uncommon for measurements. It's preferable to test a sub for the entire passband, which is essentially the complete frequency range it's capable of producing. Setting a limit on the upper end like that isn't customary.

Quote:

It leaves me wondering what the true +/-3dB FR is for this sub & if it really can go up to 150Hz. Truth be told, I love the small size of this sub & it is sealed & I may have deal coming up & need to act soon so just want to be really sure & do not want to make a huge/costly mistake!

Paradigm doesn't seem to quote a specific frequency response, which is unfortunate. You can make a reasonable assumption though... since the LPF can be set at 150Hz the sub would (theoretically) have to be able to play that high. It would be unwise for them to have a setting higher than the sub was able to achieve, so my guess is 150Hz is the usable upper limit.

Quote:

I know, I know, I have subwoofer OCD but I partially blame you for teaching me so well, writing such great reviews & getting me hooked on the subject!!

You're OCD existed before you ever met me! tongue.gif If you keep collecting subwoofers like this you'll have more than me soon...

As far as whether or not you should go for it? I'm afraid I can't answer that, because I've never heard one myself. I'm definitely intrigued by the design, and it certainly seems to be capable, but Paradigm always strucke me as over-priced. If you can get a good deal on it then it's probably worth considering.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #56 of 58 Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 29
For awesome rock music bass, (Now both are just on DVD) but U2's Zoo TV live from Sydney, and Vertigo 2005 From Chicago both have A LOT of bass. That's what I use to test mine =)

Pioneer Elite SC-25/Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7 channel setup
Reaction Audio PS215X (booya!)
Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #57 of 58 Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Hey guys, I've got some questions. I'm a little new to the home theater world. Most of what I watch are concert DVD's, and I was looking to upgrade my system. I have a Acoustech (BIC) PL-200 Subwoofer. I got it from Amazon with my speakers(Atlantic Technology 2200 series, super deal). And I don't know a whole lot about what's important for subwoofers. I know low frequency power is important, but how important, and do specs really define quality? I was interested in getting a new Subwoofer around $1000-1500. Size isn't a big issue. Room is 14X10.
I always liked good sound, and have been continually becoming more obsessive. And so every Christmas I'm always asking for some upgrade! The seismic 110 seemed like an option, as did the Definitive Technology SuperCube 8000 or Reference model. Any thoughts?

Full System:
Oppo BDP-105
Marantz SR6007
Atlantic Technology 2200 7.1(FR,FL,C,4 SR)
Acoustech PL-200

Thanks very much!

Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
post #58 of 58 Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh and both are on Ebay for around 1,000. The Definitive Technology is refurbished, the Paradigm has been "gently used by a profressional". Is 1,000 for the Seismic 110 a pretty rare-must-buy kind of deal for used?
Thanks again!

Panasonic 65" ZT60
Oppo BDP-105
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers