post #31 of 43 Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Trying to learn as I go. What do you mean by "center frequencies". Really do value your help.
The "center frequency" is the frequency you set the band to. The band then has a "range" or width at the frequencies above and below the center frequency that can be adjusted with the "Q" adjustment. Here is a great article that explains how an equalizer works: http://www.rane.com/note101.html
Quote:

Craig (or anyone else), sense my sub's low freq is 20hz and I have the receiver crossover set to 80hz. Then all I need to focus on is in between those ranges? Or not?
Correct. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Set your subsonic frequency to 1 and move that eq band away from the 15 hz setting. Most subs have a built-in subsonic cut off. This will allow the SMS-1 to send all frequencies to your sub. Also like Craig John said move that band from the 100 hz setting and use it for your middle frequencies. I think you can leave the SMS-1 volume where it is but you need to lower your subs volume. The SMS-1 volume goes to 99 so you are only at 1/3. Lower the subs volume so it levels out a little more with your mains. Use a SPL meter with test tones to balance your subs with your mains. Most people tend to run their subs hotter than the mains, usually about 2 to 4 dbs higher.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #33 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thank you for the tips. I did use a SPL meter and got the subs at 75dbs along with the speakers but not sure why I can't get the 100hz and above to get any higher on the graph. I will have time this weekend to try all the help and let you guys know how it turns out. I am sure more questions will follow. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Set your subsonic frequency to 1 and move that eq band away from the 15 hz setting. Most subs have a built-in subsonic cut off. This will allow the SMS-1 to send all frequencies to your sub. Also like Craig John said move that band from the 100 hz setting and use it for your middle frequencies. I think you can leave the SMS-1 volume where it is but you need to lower your subs volume. The SMS-1 volume goes to 99 so you are only at 1/3. Lower the subs volume so it levels out a little more with your mains. Use a SPL meter with test tones to balance your subs with your mains. Most people tend to run their subs hotter than the mains, usually about 2 to 4 dbs higher.

post #34 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you for the tips. I did use a SPL meter and got the subs at 75dbs along with the speakers but not sure why I can't get the 100hz and above to get any higher on the graph. I will have time this weekend to try all the help and let you guys know how it turns out. I am sure more questions will follow. Thanks again.
If you want to see what your speakers are doing, turn off the sub and set the speakers to "Large" in your receiver. Then runs the sweeps through the speakers. You'll be able to see the levels across the entire bandwidth of the speakers, (at least within the bandwidth of the SMS-1.) Don't use this to try to EQ anything, just to see what the speakers are cable of. Then see what happens to them when you re-set them to "Small."

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #35 of 43 Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Craig and added to the list. Another question. Looking at the frequency response in your "setup", I notice yours starts at the 55 mark on the left hand side. I understand on the SMS-1 I want to be around the 80 mark, is that correct? Is your's a different graph?

Thanks,
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

If you want to see what your speakers are doing, turn off the sub and set the speakers to "Large" in your receiver. Then runs the sweeps through the speakers. You'll be able to see the levels across the entire bandwidth of the speakers, (at least within the bandwidth of the SMS-1.) Don't use this to try to EQ anything, just to see what the speakers are cable of. Then see what happens to them when you re-set them to "Small."
Craig

post #36 of 43 Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Craig, as you suggested I set my main's to large and turned off the sub in the SC-55 settings. Ran the test tones and notice right away that I had the built in subs in the 7002s (not hooked up through the LFE) set to high, around the 9 o'clock position. Even after adjusting them to the 4 o'clock position I still had to set my volume on SC-55 to 0 in order for he 100+ to raise any.

Set my SC-55 settings back to small and "yes" for sub. Reran the test tones through the SMS-1. Set the volume on the SC-55 to 0 and had to set the volume on the SMS-1 to 3 and the graph below is what I came up with. I am pretty sure this is not correct because once I played some music or a movie there was ZERO base.

So I turned the volume up on the SMS-1 to about 34 and had great bass but knew it was a little much. So I went back to my SC-55 settings, ran the test tones, used my SPL meter to read about 77db by adjusting the volume on the SMS-1 to about 20. This sounded great.

Just a reminder I have calibrated both subs with my SPL meter to read between 75db and 77db.

Then I wanted to hear the difference between the SC-55 w/out the SMS-1 and to be honest I really could not hear a difference. I feel like I am back to square one or I just suck at setting this thing up tongue.gif

post #37 of 43 Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
first make sure your sms-1 is in default, i believe its number 6 adjust volume to 25 and leave it there, i would also make sure that your subs gain is at or about 9o'clock position, and go ahead and run MCACC. once you have run MCACC for safe measure i would take an spl meter at the listening position and run the test tones from reciever to make sure all speakers including subs are level at the listening position. if everything is balanced out i then would go to sms-1 and set your custom eq curve for your subs, after setting curve i double check again with spl meter that everything is level, then im done. Personally i never touch the volume of sms, on my pre my sub trim was -5 so if i feel like i need a little more from the subs i turn the sub trim up on reciever.

post #38 of 43 Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You can set the default to whatever pre-set you choose. If you are setting up your subs on pre-set # 1, then set the default to pre-set # 1. Then everytime you turn on the SMS-1 it will be on that pre-set. If you are setting everything up on the set up screen and your default is # 6 then you are not hearing the settings you made.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #39 of 43 Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

first make sure your sms-1 is in default, i believe its number 6 adjust volume to 25 and leave it there, i would also make sure that your subs gain is at or about 9o'clock position, and go ahead and run MCACC. once you have run MCACC for safe measure i would take an spl meter at the listening position and run the test tones from reciever to make sure all speakers including subs are level at the listening position. if everything is balanced out i then would go to sms-1 and set your custom eq curve for your subs, after setting curve i double check again with spl meter that everything is level, then im done. Personally i never touch the volume of sms, on my pre my sub trim was -5 so if i feel like i need a little more from the subs i turn the sub trim up on reciever.
Preset #6 is just one of the presets. When you do the setup, you want the Preset to be "Setup", not #6

Unity Gain on the SMS-1 is 15. Setting it to 25 is adding 10 dB from input to output. Generally that's only a good idea if the total of all the boost filters minus the total of all the cut filters = -10. The only way to know this is to use a broadband noise signal and measure the average level with and without the filters. If the output is 75dB without any filters, and 65 with the filters, it needs to be turned up 10 dB.

Craig
Edited to correct error, (bolded)

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #40 of 43 Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^^thanks for the info i was not aware of the unity gain of the sms being 15 looks like ill be recalibrating tomorrow. I have question though, once calibrated is it better to raise volume on sms or the sub trim when i need a little more from the subs?

Sent from my Evo3D using tapatalk

post #41 of 43 Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Did more testing yesterday and pretty much started all over. I set my SC-55 to factory settings, SPL'd my subs to read 75dbs, ran the SMS-1 first, ran the MCACC second, ran the SMS-1 again, and then fined tuned the subs with the SPL meter to read 75-77dbs using the SC-55. This made a huge difference as the subs produced a very very clean sound than ever before. Oh, the MCACC changed from 80hz to 100hz. Thoughts or more advice?

Quote:

I have question though, once calibrated is it better to raise volume on sms or the sub trim when i need a little more from the subs?
Sent from my Evo3D using tapatalk

I would also like to know.

post #42 of 43 Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Not only does it make the subs sound great but using the volume control on the SMS-1 is pure magic. Listening to music last night, had the Pioneer volume controlled on my iPad, had my music controlled through my iPhone, and controlled the SMS-1 volume on my Harmony remote. I could make each song sound just they way I wanted it too. Good Stuff!!

post #43 of 43 Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have question though, once calibrated is it better to raise volume on sms or the sub trim when i need a little more from the subs?
As long as you are at "mid-range" settings, (i.e., not at the extremes of the range), then either should work just fine. However, the SMS-1 remote is a lot easier to use than going through the receiver's menu to get to the trims.
Quote:

Not only does it make the subs sound great but using the volume control on the SMS-1 is pure magic. Listening to music last night, had the Pioneer volume controlled on my iPad, had my music controlled through my iPhone, and controlled the SMS-1 volume on my Harmony remote. I could make each song sound just they way I wanted it too. Good Stuff!!
Glad you got it working! smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page