Advertisement

post #272 of 1392 Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

You guys should head over to the Denon AVR-4311/AVR-A100 thread in the AMP section of this fourm. This thread has nothing on it!

Boy, isn't that the truth. Talk about beating a dead horse!!
post #273 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

First of all I want to apologize. It was never my intention to dodge the question.

I saw the question a week back or so and asked a tech in passing for exact clarification and did not get the answer I was looking for. I did not want to post a response that I was not confident in. I never want to give a fluff response to anyone, especially here on AVS.

At that time I sent an email request to a lead tech to get a clear response so I could provide you with the exact meaning behind the specs. I did not do the necessary follow up with him and it honestly slipped my mind until today about 3 minutes ago when I jumped back on the forum to see a frenzy regarding the topic.

The lead tech I inquired with is out today and will be in tomorrow. I promise I will clarify the exact meaning of the specs first thing tomorrow and apologize for my oversight.

Umm...........the silence is deafening
post #274 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Here is what 13dB boost @ 40Hz is referring to.

Normally at about 40 -45 Hz the subwoofer starts to roll off or you don't hear any output from the sub at those frequencies. So to help off set the roll off and increase the output between 40 Hz-45Hz there is a 13 dB electronic EQ at 40 Hz. What this will do, is when the subwoofer hits the frequency 40Hz the EQ will increase the output of the subwoofer by 13dB so that you will still be about to hear the low frequencies.

Eric
Lava Subs
post #275 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

Here is what 13dB boost @ 40Hz is referring to.

Normally at about 40 -45 Hz the subwoofer starts to roll off or you don't hear any output from the sub at those frequencies. So to help off set the roll off and increase the output between 40 Hz-45Hz there is a 13 dB electronic EQ at 40 Hz. What this will do, is when the subwoofer hits the frequency 40Hz the EQ will increase the output of the subwoofer by 13dB so that you will still be about to hear the low frequencies.

Thanks, thats what I expected to hear.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #276 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Thanks, thats what I expected to hear.

Yeah...but that opens up a whole new set of questions.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #277 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I did notice, however, that the sub was shipping several states away from where it was originally shipped from. This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe Lava took our advise and shipped it to someone that could perform a *decent* review on it? The sub was already slightly damaged so it would have been a perfect sub to loan out for such a thing.

Hey, Sorry in the flood of posts yesterday I missed this in your post but yes we did take your advice on that and sent that sub directly to audioholics.com. Thanks for that.

Eric
Lava Subs
post #278 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Indeed

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #279 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So is that good or bad?
post #280 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

Like what?

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #281 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

On 2nd thought, I really dont give a crap. Your got yourself a fine product there Eric. I'll be getting a second one as soon as the funds allow.

I'll just tag along in the thread for the internet thuggin...
post #282 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

On 2nd thought, I really dont give a crap. Your got yourself a fine product there Eric. I'll be getting a second one as soon as the funds allow.

I'll just tag along in the thread for the internet thuggin...

Can I ask why you'd buy 2 cheap subs instead of 1 good one? Doesn't make sense to me sorry
post #283 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
OK Peggy. What is the Q and slope on the 40Hz boost? And is it centered at 40?

Not that long ago, many of the SVS models measured a 40Hz hump in GP measurements. It certainly wasn't 13dB and I don't see it in the newer models. The problem is, many thought that contributed to much of the bloated, boomy, slow, sloppy (or whatever adjective you want to use) bass.

Why not just tweak the response to be flat in 1/2 space and let the end user add any boost they want? I know you are targeting the budget market, but even low end receivers have some form of bass boost. I would guess an auto Eq system would try to take out the boost anyway.

I warned you back on page 1 that you would need a think hide and a sense of humor to play in this forum. I did delete my first post (the white van) where I suggested people stay away from Lava subs. You have earned that. But I'm leaving the Peggy posts as they are just too much fun.

Randy
post #284 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvictorg View Post

Like what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 40hz the boost will cause all electronic components connected to the Lava to burst into flames.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #285 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 182
How about we wait until someone gets some accurate SPL readings at different frequencies and a frequency graph before jump on the bash wagon.
post #286 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but at 40hz the boost will cause all electronic components connected to the lava to burst into flames.

rotflmao

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #287 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Can I ask why you'd buy 2 cheap subs instead of 1 good one? Doesn't make sense to me sorry

Because regardless of their price I believe I hve bought a good product. To me, two lava subs would be better than one $600 sub. At least in my room.
post #288 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvictorg View Post

Like what?

Well, ransac(Randy) has already asked a good one.

As mentioned before, when you apply that much boost, it takes a lot of amp power. So getting a better understanding of the FR and Q would be nice.

There is also a the question on what inputs this boost affects.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #289 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Liked: 12
Can we get the clarification that was requested in posts #166 and #168 of this thread, specifically if this 13db boost is lowpass only, not LFE?
post #290 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Because regardless of their price I believe I hve bought a good product. To me, two lava subs would be better than one $600 sub. At least in my room.

Understood, but like I mentioned in previous post, what else have you compared? Not to put words in P-E's post, but I am sure he will ask this.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #291 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understood, but like I mentioned in previous post, what else have you compared? Not to put words in P-E's post, but I am sure he will ask this.

sorry. i'm not trying to start a war or anything..i was just curious as to reasoning here. i personally think you are far better to get one good sub that can outperform the 2 lava's and go deeper, more spl etc rather than 2 "budget" subs for the same money. just my .02 of course...
post #292 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry. i'm not trying to start a war or anything..i was just curious as to reasoning here. i personally think you are far better to get one good sub that can outperform the 2 lava's and go deeper, more spl etc rather than 2 "budget" subs for the same money. just my .02 of course...

I wasn't starting a war either. Affordability and WAF always come into play with purchases. In the end, I was willing to take a chance on a new untested company and product. In fact, I did that with my speakers as well (HTD).
post #293 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

That's cool I'm glad the sub is good for the money. Im loving my eD.
post #294 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 40hz the boost will cause all electronic components connected to the Lava to burst into flames.

hehe nice

I guess that's better than all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

THAT would be bad.....
post #295 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

hehe nice

I guess that's better than all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

THAT would be bad.....

Lol lol
post #296 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:

hehe nice

THAT would be bad.....

But it sure would be cool to watch!
post #297 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

hehe nice

THAT would be bad.....

Sounds like my recent bout with food poisoning from an El Pollo Loco pollo bowl. Anyway, Monday night I'll be connecting a Lava-10 to a 2.1 SACD rig with Monitor Audio RS6 towers. I'll post an extremely non-technical review if enough people are interested.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #298 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you ever noticed that once someone buys something they never have an unfavorable review of it? Cognitive dissonance maybe?

It's the same as all the positive only reviews in magazines which then conveniently have a full page ad on the next couple of pages

Come on!!! Let's hear some negatives to go with all the fluff please? No product is that good in all ways.
post #299 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Have you ever noticed that once someone buys something they never have an unfavorable review of it? Cognitive dissonance maybe?

You haven't followed ME for very long here on AVS then. I gave both Audyssey and SVS a run for their $. I pissed quite a few people (both fanboi's and company personnel) off in the process. I have a LOT of $ invested in SVS and Audyssey products. When I have that amount of $ invested in a company's products, I expect a LOT.

I knew exactly want I was getting myself into when I purchased the LSP12. At the price I paid I got exactly what I paid for (and expected). I have personally listened to all the subs that my local Best Buy has to offer. Several were more expensive (even after being highly discounted) than the Lava. The Lava sounded leaps and bounds better than all of them.

Something else that just chaps my hide are the wait times for eD subs. It is just ridiculous. That alone gives the Lava a small advantage in my book.

YMMV

doug.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #300 of 1392 Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

It's the same as all the positive only reviews in magazines which then conveniently have a full page ad on the next couple of pages

Come on!!! Let's hear some negatives to go with all the fluff please? No product is that good in all ways.

I'm as critical and curious as anyone, but what negatives are you looking for? It's a barely $300 subwoofer, for AVS members, and it seems to be outperforming expectations. It sounds like most of its sins are ones of omission (extension, output, etc), which is the best way to go with any design versus trying to do everything and doing none of it well. As far as I can tell the largest issue is the +13dB@40Hz EQ. Strangely, this doesn't seem to have had a terribly detrimental effect according to subjective reports so far. Also, that Lava has voluntarily sent a sub off to Audioholics says a whole lot about their willingness to stand behind their product, even if some warts are exposed. It will be interesting to see the review and put a lot of this stuff to rest one way or the other.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page