post #541 of 1392 Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

thanks for the info. I've been looking and hoping to find a budget subwoofer that I like. Finding a budget subwoofer seems more complicated than finding an expensive, higher end subwoofer.

with good reason...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1392 Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
It looks like a Lava review from Audioholics is coming soon;

The Lava sub is NOT part of this shootout. Its a completely separate review and unfair to compare against the subs in the shootout. As far as I know our reviewer is impressed with its performance and I am rooting for a new budget direct company to do well and offer consumers a great bang for the buck product.

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President of Audioholics.com

He's referencing this thread; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19472441
post #543 of 1392 Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Liked: 10
In the sameeee boat. Deciding I think I want a 12 not 10 even tho the HSU looks solid. Why did you (or others reading would you) choose the Lava over the BIC? BIC was developed by the HSU guys, and has the BASH amp....is that important? Im on the fence, cant decide and its a 300 dollar purchase. Probably cant go wrong with either, BIC been around for some time, LAVA has some previous audio experience obviously.....anyone? Need to order a sub soon.....
post #544 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM

I have been creeping on this forum for a couple of weeks i suppose, and this is my first post. I just bit the bullet and purchased the Lava 12" sub and i have to say that I am pretty relieved the process is over. Finding the right sub was quite possibly one of the hardest decisions for me to make and I just wanted to say thanks to the members of this forum who took the time to review this product. Also a big thanks to who ever started this thread. I would not have found this sub company if you had not created it. It was a tough decision, but that 15% discount for members of this forum realy sealed the deal for me.

here is a copy of the email I sent to customer support after hearing back that I could get the 15% discount.

nice, thanks for the reply. I will be putting my order in immediately after sending this email. I just wanted to let you know that the avs forum was the main reason I found your sub. I thought it was amazing how a representative from your company was willing to participate in the forum to educate the general public about their product. I am completely new to the home theatre scene so i leaned on the opinions of those at the forum rather hard in order to make my decision. While this may not be the biggest financial decision I make this year, it is still one that warrants being an educated consumer (especialy in this economy). So this email is basicaly a thank you from an un-biased and eager to learn home audio newb. So.... thanks for taking the time to educate me about your product and discounts and big ups for becoming a member of that forum. That was a good decision because it was one of my deciding factors in purchasing a sub and im sure others feel the same.

thanks
DIALxTONE
post #545 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

In the sameeee boat. Deciding I think I want a 12 not 10 even tho the HSU looks solid. Why did you (or others reading would you) choose the Lava over the BIC? BIC was developed by the HSU guys, and has the BASH amp....is that important? Im on the fence, cant decide and its a 300 dollar purchase. Probably cant go wrong with either, BIC been around for some time, LAVA has some previous audio experience obviously.....anyone? Need to order a sub soon.....

I am not sure of the extent that HSU assisted in developing the BIC PL-200, but that sub is of course proven and is a solid choice in it's price range. The BASH amp seems solid, but there are of course better options, but maybe not in this price range (SVS is no longer using them).

I chose the Lava LSP12 because I really do THINK it will be a better value than the proven BIC PL-200, but I will not nor care to compare different subs in this price range myself to find out with my ears for sure. The time and effort to do so is not worth it to me, especially considering my limited budget and limited needs (I have a small space and use it mainly for just home theater).

It seems to me the build quality and looks of the Lava LSP12 are some of the best in this price range. A couple others on here that own much more expensive subs and took the time to compare to the LSP12, and then were satisfied with the LSP12 for what it is and it's value (thank you guys!) said alot to me (though I found someone who dismissed it since it was not comparing the LSP12 to others in it's own price range). And lastly, the 5 year warranty including electronics cannot be beat at this price!
post #546 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I might have to jump on that Lava 8" with the AVS discount for the PC setup at the house. $165 for 27Hz is a deal IMO.
post #547 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Hello everyone,

I just stumbled across this thread when I saw the Lava LSP12 come up in another thread. I'm replacing an infinity PS-12 where the amp and burned out and am looking for a quality budget amp. My current choice was the Polk PSW505 which I saw on the recommended subs thread (under $300 subs) which is $250 shipped from Amazon. I know this is Lava sub is quite new but would anyone feel comfortable giving their thoughts on how it may compare to the Polk?

Background:
Going in a large room, 19X24, 11ft ceilings, concrete floors, open on the side to the kitchen. Beta 50's for fronts currently set to small but could possibly take on some of the load.

Also thought about buying a Bash amp 300w for $99 and just keeping the PS-12.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks!
post #548 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpBlast View Post

I am not sure of the extent that HSU assisted in developing the BIC PL-200, but that sub is of course proven and is a solid choice in it's price range. The BASH amp seems solid, but there are of course better options, but maybe not in this price range (SVS is no longer using them).

I chose the Lava LSP12 because I really do THINK it will be a better value than the proven BIC PL-200, but I will not nor care to compare different subs in this price range myself to find out with my ears for sure. The time and effort to do so is not worth it to me, especially considering my limited budget and limited needs (I have a small space and use it mainly for just home theater).

It seems to me the build quality and looks of the Lava LSP12 are some of the best in this price range. A couple others on here that own much more expensive subs and took the time to compare to the LSP12, and then were satisfied with the LSP12 for what it is and it's value (thank you guys!) said alot to me (though I found someone who dismissed it since it was not comparing the LSP12 to others in it's own price range). And lastly, the 5 year warranty including electronics cannot be beat at this price!

wait..........BIC stuff is developed by HSU? never heard that one before...
post #549 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post

wait..........BIC stuff is developed by HSU? never heard that one before...

Some of it is, but not all of it.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #550 of 1392 Old 11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Lava now has a banner on the site.
post #551 of 1392 Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddictVnt View Post
Hello everyone,

I just stumbled across this thread when I saw the Lava LSP12 come up in another thread. I'm replacing an infinity PS-12 where the amp and burned out and am looking for a quality budget amp. My current choice was the Polk PSW505 which I saw on the recommended subs thread (under $300 subs) which is $250 shipped from Amazon. I know this is Lava sub is quite new but would anyone feel comfortable giving their thoughts on how it may compare to the Polk?

Background:
Going in a large room, 19X24, 11ft ceilings, concrete floors, open on the side to the kitchen. Beta 50's for fronts currently set to small but could possibly take on some of the load.

Also thought about buying a Bash amp 300w for $99 and just keeping the PS-12.!
Check Newegg and J&R on prices on the PSW505.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html Polk has generally had reliable amplifier sections.

For the last ten years (with the exception of the current L8400P), JBL subwoofer amps have not been reliable. I have had two JBL subwoofers.

I used a PE 500w BASH amp as a replacement for a failed amp on my 9+ year old 15" subwoofer. Rather than do cutting, etc., I had my son paste 2"x4"s on the back of the sub and screw the new amp into the 2"x4"s. He had to extend the wires from the amp to the driver. The new BASH amp is superior to the old one that I had.
post #552 of 1392 Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

Check Newegg and J&R on prices on the PSW505.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html Polk has generally had reliable amplifier sections.

For the last ten years (with the exception of the current L8400P), JBL subwoofer amps have not been reliable. I have had two JBL subwoofers.

I used a PE 500w BASH amp as a replacement for a failed amp on my 9+ year old 15" subwoofer. Rather than do cutting, etc., I had my son paste 2"x4"s on the back of the sub and screw the new amp into the 2"x4"s. He had to extend the wires from the amp to the driver. The new BASH amp is superior to the old one that I had.

while polks amps may be reliable, their older line of subwoofers (i.e. PSW10, PSW505) suck, they make an unreasonable amount of port noise and tend to "bottom out" below the port tuning frequencies. i would not recommend buying any of polks subs besides their new line of DSW subs, also there are better subs at lower prices then polks subs, such as HSU or lava subs. Polk makes excellent speakers at excellent prices, but i would avoid their subs.
post #553 of 1392 Old 11-13-2010, 05:27 PM

The 505 is measured 3db down at 35hz, that is crap
post #554 of 1392 Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elminster79 View Post

for a large 12" sub yes, the main issue is not the response but the fact that there is so much port noise and driver unloading below the tuning frequencies.
post #555 of 1392 Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by elminster79 View Post

That was my reason for putting in the (somewhat objective) review.
post #556 of 1392 Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Well I think I'm ready to pull the trigger here on the LSP-12. I have a Klipsch RW-10 (not the D version) that I've had for a few years and I've never been very happy with it.
I have a fairly big room, about 20x30 or so and unfortunately I can't really place my sub in the optimal position. I started looking at subs and most of the ones in the $200-300 range did not look very good to me. Many of them may be ok for movies but for music - probably not so good. However I have some large floorstanding speakers that I can get by w/o a sub for music. Most of the other subs I've found that I liked are in the $500-600 range.
From what I am gathering the Lava LSP-12 sub compares well to many of these $500+ subs so I think I'm going to give it a shot. Have to say though that buying a sub is a more difficult process than buying speakers or most components. Can't demo a sub the same way you demo speakers, and most components are feature driven. I'll post back once I get the sub up and running.
post #557 of 1392 Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Same boat. Going to pull the trigger today too. Went from a full Mirage FRX system with an S10 sub and an older pioneer elite. 10ish years old, got good use and recently sold and upgraded. Going to a more concealed built-in look and doing a full Klipsch reference series that sounds great (i think) but didn't think the $500-$600 matching sub was all that great. From the numbers Lava shows, and at 1/2 the price, I think were both going to be very happy. Dont have ALOT to compare it to, but I am sure for the average listener it'll sound great. Was debating between this and the BIC PL-200 (12" also) but listen, the new guys on the block deserve a chance and if we don't support them we wont get better, more reasonably priced equipment in the future. I think the Technology grows, prices drop, new players enter the market and we ultimately get a better product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

Well I think I'm ready to pull the trigger here on the LSP-12. I have a Klipsch RW-10 (not the D version) that I've had for a few years and I've never been very happy with it.
I have a fairly big room, about 20x30 or so and unfortunately I can't really place my sub in the optimal position. I started looking at subs and most of the ones in the $200-300 range did not look very good to me. Many of them may be ok for movies but for music - probably not so good. However I have some large floorstanding speakers that I can get by w/o a sub for music. Most of the other subs I've found that I liked are in the $500-600 range.
From what I am gathering the Lava LSP-12 sub compares well to many of these $500+ subs so I think I'm going to give it a shot. Have to say though that buying a sub is a more difficult process than buying speakers or most components. Can't demo a sub the same way you demo speakers, and most components are feature driven. I'll post back once I get the sub up and running.

post #558 of 1392 Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

Same boat. Going to pull the trigger today too. Went from a full Mirage FRX system with an S10 sub and an older pioneer elite. 10ish years old, got good use and recently sold and upgraded. Going to a more concealed built-in look and doing a full Klipsch reference series that sounds great (i think) but didn't think the $500-$600 matching sub was all that great. From the numbers Lava shows, and at 1/2 the price, I think were both going to be very happy. Dont have ALOT to compare it to, but I am sure for the average listener it'll sound great. Was debating between this and the BIC PL-200 (12" also) but listen, the new guys on the block deserve a chance and if we don't support them we wont get better, more reasonably priced equipment in the future. I think the Technology grows, prices drop, new players enter the market and we ultimately get a better product!

Looking like I might join you as well. I have been following this thread for a long time. I keep waiting for a review with numbers because for some reason that would make me feel better. However, all that matters is that I like the sound, and it seems this sub is an incredible value. I am going to email about a coupon code now..
post #559 of 1392 Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Just received tracking, should be here Friday! Probably wont get my room wired till the following mid/next week but Maybe ill just hook it up with the fronts and run it stereo for music if I cant wait .

Thanks Lavasubs!
post #560 of 1392 Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Got mine around 6pm today. Very well packed and double boxed. Just got done gain matching both the lava and my a5-350, really impressed. Compliments the a5-350 very nicely, I thought I would need another 350 to even out the response but ivlooks like the lava is doing a good job. One thing I noticed though the warranty card says 1 year warranty only? But the website says 5 years?
post #561 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znil78 View Post
...One thing I noticed though the warranty card says 1 year warranty only? But the website says 5 years?
I just got my LSP12 last night and noticed this as well. I called them and spoke to Eric and he ensured me that the warranty is 5 years, seems like these first batches being sent out are including a misprint for warranty duration.

Anyway, for my first impressions of the LSP12, the sub simply looks very nice and is very well built, especially at this price point. Coming from an old Velodyne, I don't have much to compare it to, and I don't have any numbers to give as I don't even have a meter yet. For what it's worth, this sub to me is well behaved and not boomy. But my ears like what they hear and this is a great VALUE, which is all that matters to me. I truly realized what I have been missing all this time when I watched War of the Worlds and shook the house like never before, although my wife in the other room had something to say about that !
post #562 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM

I spent the last 2 weekends re-watching Band Of Brothers. The Lava did very well.
post #563 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Haven't posted too much on AVS but I've used it as a resource for a long time now.

Very new to audio--bought my first surround sound setup about 2.5 years ago (wow, doesn't seem like that long) but never wound up picking up a sub, since I was budgeting for college at the time. For the record, it's all Polk except a Yamaha AVR.

Looking into purchasing a sub, and the Lava, while "budget" is still pricey (to me, seeing as I've never owned a sub before). My current room dimensions are ~ 7w x 16l x 7h, though I might be moving soon and upgrading the space. My inclination is to get Lava's 12, and while obviously only I know what's "right for me", the help of other sub owners would be very much appreciated here. It SEEMS like I could get away with a smaller size in my current space, but given the likelihood of eventually moving out, it would be something I could bring rather than upgrade.

The only thing I don't know, from inexperience, is how big of a difference there is between something in the ~$300 range and something in the next "tier" of quality. (I know that's loosely defined, so I apologize for that now) I may not know about subs NOW, but I am the type to pick up on small details quickly, and want to upgrade right away. The real question comes down to: is the Lava a good sub for a first-time sub-owner, or is it going to leave me wanting more after listening to it for a month or two?

Sorry if this belongs more in a separate thread, but I figured what with all the Ferrari talk, this was more relevant. (Yes, I've read every single post in this thread)

I want to also say thanks to all the more experienced users here, especially counsil with the first real review, and Peggy--er, Eric of Lava Subs for providing some helpful info and feedback.
post #564 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapulong View Post

I e-mailed customer service, and someone replied with a custom coupon code that I could use to get 15% at checkout. - Can't wait for this thing tonight coz I know UPS is always late usually 7pm

Sub was wrecked during transport It came in pretty beat up last week. I contacted Lava and a replacement was immediately sent, should have the new one tomorrow, hopefully in better shape geeez. +1 for lava customer service.
post #565 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapulong View Post

Sub was wrecked during transport It came in pretty beat up last week. I contacted Lava and a replacement was immediately sent, should have the new one tomorrow, hopefully in better shape geeez. +1 for lava customer service.

OOPS they did it again!

Glad to hear Lava was helpful
post #566 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Ok, I'm on the fence again and somewhat stuck. Long time watcher of this forum, but I seldom post... I found video bliss with my ISF calibrated KRP-500m thanks to this forum, now I am falling into the audio trap.. I am pretty new to the audio side of things though, so I apologize for any silly questions.

Anyways, I've read the entire thread, and then some. A number of people asked, but it has not been clearly addressed. How would the Lava 12 stack up against the HSU STF-2?

Number wise, it seems that the STF-2 is about 1 db ahead at 25hz. However, at 20hz, the Lava seems to have a slight 2 db advantage.
Sources: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...er-test-review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=342

The Lava sits at a nicer price, but the difference between these two is irrelevant for my budget. HSU obviously has a better, longstanding rep, while a 12" woofer on the Lava seems like it should be better...

Basically I am looking for a nice, budget sub that delivers a lot of accurate bang. Which sub would perform best: the STF-2 or the Lava?
post #567 of 1392 Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

I should also add that usage habits are 80/20 movies/games to music.

The room the sub will be placed in is medium sized, 15 feet long by 12 wide, however the room is not fully enclosed with a 7.5 foot opening at the far end. Since this opens up to the kitchen and then the rest of the house, I think it might be smart to err on the louder side of the volume scale.
post #568 of 1392 Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post

I should also add that usage habits are 80/20 movies/games to music.

The room the sub will be placed in is medium sized, 15 feet long by 12 wide, however the room is not fully enclosed with a 7.5 foot opening at the far end. Since this opens up to the kitchen and then the rest of the house, I think it might be smart to err on the louder side of the volume scale.

I looked at the Hsu subs as well, and others. Without comparing them directly can't really say for sure, but I would think the performance between the VTF-2 and the Lava LSP-12 would be very similar. I would not expect one to blow the other away. Really a lot of it comes down to sealed vs ported, size of woofer and power of amp. For me I would love the new Hsu VTF-15H, but its outside my budget right now.
post #569 of 1392 Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

I looked at the Hsu subs as well, and others. Without comparing them directly can't really say for sure, but I would think the performance between the VTF-2 and the Lava LSP-12 would be very similar. I would not expect one to blow the other away. Really a lot of it comes down to sealed vs ported, size of woofer and power of amp. For me I would love the new Hsu VTF-15H, but its outside my budget right now.

I believe the VTF-2 mk3 is ported as well, so both the Lava and HSU are ported options.
post #570 of 1392 Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat View Post

I believe the VTF-2 mk3 is ported as well, so both the Lava and HSU are ported options.

Yeah both subs are ported. I believe that most people generally think more highly of the HSU for music as it is a "tight" ported sub, but with my usage habits I would not purchase the HSU simply because of that. I wish there was some glaring difference which would make this decision easy!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page