Lava subs - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The Lava will be quite a bit better than the Polk. Don't forget that as an AVS member you get an additional 15% off the Lava!

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my Lava LSP12 delivered last Wednesday. Sadly it appears UPS dropped the poor guy on its face since when I opened the box the woofer/driver was no longer attached to the box and had ripped its screws out.

I called Lava and Eric, who apparently handles their customer service, was out of the office but they took my number down and Eric called me back within 10min to get a new unit sent out and arrange for getting the damaged one back to UPS.

So can't give any impressions on the sub beyond that the box and woofer cover do look very nice. I can however say that customer service is excellent which generally says quite a bit about a company.

New unit should be here tomorrow or Wednesday since UPS didn't work Thursday or Friday. I'll post impressions after I've had some time with it.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
It seems like Lava need to revise their packaging as UPS is cause alot of damage
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
It seems like Lava need to revise their packaging as UPS is cause alot of damage
Better yet, maybe they should switch to a different shipper.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM

I think I have to admit on getting a different shipper. I received mine today thanks to UPS delays with weather...

The box had a heck of a puncture. It didn't appear to damage anything.

However, the top of my subwoofer has some scratches on it... not so great.

I have an email off to Customer service since they are obviously closed and aren't available by phone. I snapped a few pictures and sent them attached.

we'll see how it goes.

***Edit. eric has made it right. It's taken care of. They have amazing customer service. ***
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Luckily, mine came in good condition.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The Lava will be quite a bit better than the Polk. Don't forget that as an AVS member you get an additional 15% off the Lava!

Still a 75 dollar difference with the 15% off. I'm looking for a little more indepth as why? I listen to music mostly and play video games and then maybe some movies so I'm trying to figure out why the LSP will be better in comparison to the polk and what I'll be losing if I go with the polk. Its use for me will probably be 60% games 35% music 5% movies although movies are still important because I'll probably start watching more as I get a nicer system together but definitely music>movies.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Better yet, maybe they should switch to a different shipper.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with ups shipping large heavy product. I would actually pay a bit more to have fedex deliver.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Still a 75 dollar difference with the 15% off. I'm looking for a little more indepth as why? I listen to music mostly and play video games and then maybe some movies so I'm trying to figure out why the LSP will be better in comparison to the polk and what I'll be losing if I go with the polk. Its use for me will probably be 60% games 35% music 5% movies although movies are still important because I'll probably start watching more as I get a nicer system together but definitely music>movies.
I've had two Polk subs and they both were pretty bad. I haven't had a Lava, but some guys here, who's opinion I respect, recommend it highly. Their opinion alone would sway me to try it. Lava has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. If you don't love it, then return it.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

At this point I'm thinking of spending the extra 75 dollars and doing either bic or lava. However, Bic has a SEXY shiny black top and I like shiny. Lava however has that 30 day return policy no questions asked and if I could get a seller like that from Bic I'd be down to try the Bic. Which is better for music and for video between bic and lava?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I honestly believe that the Lava has the edge on the BIC. It's worth the extra cash. Since they're both ported, it's a tossup between music/movies. most guys prefer a sealed sub for music.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

At this point I'm thinking of spending the extra 75 dollars and doing either bic or lava. However, Bic has a SEXY shiny black top and I like shiny. Lava however has that 30 day return policy no questions asked and if I could get a seller like that from Bic I'd be down to try the Bic. Which is better for music and for video between bic and lava?

Shiny is nice, but for HT there always seems to be reflections that are distracting.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 PM

hey guys im a newbe and I was going to get a outlaw but after reading most if this my room is 20x24=480sqft and was wondering if I should go with 2 10" or a 12" or possibly 2 12"
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfatty78 View Post

hey guys im a newbe and I was going to get a outlaw but after reading most if this my room is 20x24=480sqft and was wondering if I should go with 2 10" or a 12" or possibly 2 12"

That's a pretty big room and you might choose two 12"s. My room is 21x15 and I have 2 12 inchers and they work remarkably well. They also are impossible to locate in the mix. When I had only one sub, I could always tell where it was located, not so with two.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I honestly believe that the Lava has the edge on the BIC. It's worth the extra cash. Since they're both ported, it's a tossup between music/movies. most guys prefer a sealed sub for music.

It's between these 2 subs though unless there is another sub in the 275 dollar price range. I also want the PA-120 maybe but I can't find it anywhere except for 260 bucks and if I'm paying that much the Bic or Lava seems to be better according to everyone.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'm looking for advice on what you would do in my particular situation. I've got 3 subs that need to go into the following 2 rooms:

*large home theater room downstairs
*small music room upstairs

The subs are:

*Lava-10
*Klipsch RSW-10d (apparently one of the better(?) Klipsch subs)
*SVS SB12-NSD (good sealed sub)

Assuming that I'll want 2 subs in the HT room and the other sub will go in the music room, which subs should go where? The Klipsch and Lava are 10" subs-should I keep together or does that matter? I just bought the SVS for the music room but wasn't aware that there's more to it than just adding any 2nd sub and expecting great results.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 AM

I just received my lava sub and it was broken apart in shipping too. I see that several people have had the same problem. Looking at how it was put together, I believe that there is a problem with the quality of screws. I have contacted customer service at lava subs with no response yet for three days now. I pm'd Eric too, with no response. Very dissapointed. I work at BestBuy and have told numerous people to hold off on buying Lava subs until they rectify my situation. Wish I had better news......
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLSCHLESINGER View Post
I just received my lava sub and it was broken apart in shipping too. I see that several people have had the same problem. Looking at how it was put together, I believe that there is a problem with the quality of screws. I have contacted customer service at lava subs with no response yet for three days now. I pm'd Eric too, with no response. Very dissapointed. I work at BestBuy and have told numerous people to hold off on buying Lava subs until they rectify my situation. Wish I had better news......
Sorry you've gotten off to a bad start -that's never fun getting something you're so excited about and it's busted on arrival.

I'm sure everything is as you say it is, but, maybe you can explain the following things from your post that seemed a little strange:
  • You "just received" it, but have been trying to contact them for 3 days?
  • The sub was "broken apart", but you accepted the box from the shipper?
  • You believe "the quality of screws" is suspect?
  • You are telling "numerous people to hold off buying Lava subs" but you work at BB who sells subs?

Pics would be really helpful - curious about those screws you are nervous about. It would be interesting to see the interior bracing, driver, wiring, etc., as well.

In the end, what you describe seems completely out of character for the Lava guys based on my experience and the other posters here.

So, keep us posted on how they take care of you and best to you this Christmas/holiday season.

creative>energy

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

I have contacted customer service at lava subs with no response yet for three days now. I pm'd Eric too, with no response. Very dissapointed. ......

Curious, what method of contact?

So you called and no answer for three days, odd?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'll echo allred's statements and add that Eric is not on AVS as often as one might think (via an PM he sent me when I asked him about my discount) so it very well may be that he just did not get your PM yet.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM

I can say with some certainty that the quality of screws has nothing to do with how my sub was damaged. The woofer/driver had ripped downward and you can clearly see where the screws ripped through the material they were screwed into (not MDF as the box is constructed out of but a lighter but thick material, reminds me of cardboard but solid). The screws were all intact.

Also, I have had no issues getting through to their customer service, unless you are calling after business hours (which I haven't done yet) they have been quick to respond. As I mentioned in an above post, Eric was out of his office but called me from his cell the day before Thanksgiving to get my damaged sub straightened out.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Liked: 32
Sounds like a case of better packaging is needed.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Liked: 11
I can't see it on the site, but can anyone tell me what the cabinet is actually made out of?

Also, it looks like the 12" is not on their site anymore. Can anyone else see it?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 AM

I can confirm. It Looks like the 12" is not available for shipping. I wanted to place an order for several of these and I can not do so now. I may have to look else where now.

- Garrett
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
NBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by garretwp View Post

I can confirm. It Looks like the 12" is not available for shipping. I wanted to place an order for several of these and I can not do so now. I may have to look else where now.

- Garrett

Are they just simply out of stock? Did they tell you when they'll restock it again?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Called them up and I have some bad news and some slightly good news. They are out of stock on the 12" subs and will not have any to ship for about 5 weeks. However they are running the 10" sub deal for two. They are also running a discount for the 12" sub for anyone who would like to wait. They are going to call me back to see if two 10" subs would be good for my 14.5' x 17' home theater room. The tech. that they need to ask is on another call. Now just have to talk with my Dad to see what he wants to do for his home theater room as well.

- Garrett
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just chatted with Eric via their live chat line and he said that he is going to post on the matter soon.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I should be checking my PM daily and apologize for not doing so. I do try to read the new posts for any questions directed at me each day but don't login each day. I will make sure I login and check for PM as part of my daily routine from now on.

As a company policy we make sure we answer all emails within 24 hours excluding weekends. Unfortunately for some reason, we have not received this particular email and I am checking with IT right now to triple check that we have no filters of any kind so we do not block any emails. If for any reason you don't hear back from us, please give us a call or chat with us online. We want to make sure that any questions or problems you have, are handled as quickly as possible.

I have emailed back and forth personally with PLSCHLESINGER and another new sub is being shipped out today.

On another note......

I can't even begin to tell you how much we appreciate all the AVS members. As a company, we had underestimated the impact we would receive from your forum! It has been tremendous. We also underestimated UPS's uncanny ability to damage our products. Because we think our chances of improving the service at UPS are slim to none, we have decided that Lava Subs will need to make some changes to compensate for UPS. Due to this shipping problem and our overwhelming success (much of it has been because of the great AVS members) we will unfortunately be putting our LSP12's on back order.

This has been a tough call to make, especially with the holiday season and the high demand we have been experiencing, but we want to make sure every customer receives the best quality (as expected) when they order a Lava sub. We are reconfiguring our packaging to ensure your sub arrives in the same condition it was in when it left our warehouse.

AVS members have been nothing short of amazing in the support of Lava Subs! Because of this, we would like to offer an additional 5% off to all members who are willing to place a Lava Sub on backorder. We will give a 20% discount to all AVS members during this backorder. I assure you that Lava Subs is here to stay. We take great pride in our product and believe that these changes will improve the situation. We can't keep UPS from drop kicking them from off the top of buildings, but we will do what we can to improve the situation.

What does this mean to you? The LSP12 will be on back order for several weeks. I know this will not allow the 12' sub to be purchased in time for Christmas. This is a bummer for all of us, but it is more important to us that you are happy when it shows up. Once the new product arrives, I can promise you that we will fulfill all back orders same day.

As for the LSP10 and the LSP08 the packaging has not been an issue. So we have allowed for continued shipment of those.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Eric
Lava Subs
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Is the 20% for the backorder good for Canada as well?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
NBR

Eric,

I just received my 12 inch subs from your company and came in good shape. Since I already received my subwoofers, this question is not for me but for others who might be interested in the current out of stock subwoofer.

Those who backorder, will they be charged when the order is taken or when the product is ready to ship? What is your company's policy on that?

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer