Lava subs - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news on Audioholics recieving/reviewing the LSP12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM

I originally was planning on picking up a BIC PL-200 for my home theater, but decided to give the new guys a chance. Ordered my Lava LSP12 on November 30th (Tuesday) and it was delivered today (Tuesday, Dec 7th). Considering I live in Maine, I was overall pleased with the week delivery time.

I haven't seen too many pictures of the lava subs, so I figured I'd take some to share with everyone.

UPS must like me since the outer shipping box is still in good condition despite it's long trip to Maine.

The inside box was in even better shape. Hopes were running high at this point.

The sub arrived in perfect shape. My amateur photo's don't do complete justice to the Lava. For $280, this is a very nice looking sub (and one of the few that I think looks better with the grill off)

The Lava sitting besides my Polk PSW505.

After hooking it up, I immediately got a terrible 'ground loop' hum. A quick trip to Lowes and a 75 cent cheater plug solved the issue. Even at max volume, I didn't notice any hum issues.

My initial impressions were that the Lava was a sizeable steup up from the Polk, which at $200 new, is often considered one of the best 'bang for you buck' name brand subs. I'll give the Lava a full workout this weekend, but it immediately gets build quality and cosmetic points in my book. This looks a lot nicer than most other subs I've seen in it's price range.

Bottom line: It's too early to tell how well these subs will hold up (as well as Lava as a company), but I've been very impressed so far. The build quality is off the charts for this price range and from what I've heard so far, so is the sound.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Thanks for posting some pictures and your thoughts on your new sub. I will be getting 4 10" Lava subs delivered Thursday. Looking forward to getting them. However I will have to wait a little longer before I can fully have two of them hooked up in my home theater as I am still getting the room completed. The other two will be delivered to my father's home theater room next week and they will be given a work out. Just hope my father's other half will not be too mad.

- Garrett
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM

i have a room that is 25x25... should i go with 1 12 or 2 10's? I really want that movie theater experience. Do the 10's and 12's have the same low freq at 24hz? Shouldnt the 12 be lower?

anyways, looking forward to it!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

i have a room that is 25x25... should i go with 1 12 or 2 10's? I really want that movie theater experience. Do the 10's and 12's have the same low freq at 24hz? Shouldnt the 12 be lower?

anyways, looking forward to it!

I suggest the dual 12" for a room that size! Definitely wouldn't ask the 10" to handle it if you want that "theater experience."

creative>energy

Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

I suggest the dual 12" for a room that size! Definitely wouldn't ask the 10" to handle it if you want that "theater experience."

I think even dual Lava 12's will have problems tackling a room of that size. The way to get decent bass in a large room with a small budget is near-field placement, but I think down-firing subs are much better in this role. Lava looks like great subs for the money, but I think you would need a whole herd of them to give you a "theater experience" in a 25x25 room.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think even dual Lava 12's will have problems tackling a room of that size. The way to get decent bass in a large room with a small budget is near-field placement, but I think down-firing subs are much better in this role. Lava looks like great subs for the money, but I think you would need a whole herd of them to give you a "theater experience" in a 25x25 room.

Couldn't agree with you more for that sized room - but, since the poster asked about which one of the options would be better...

With duals, he could do as you say and corner-load one to get the most out of the room modes, while putting the other in a near-field position for the tactility. With both he won't be able to locate them sonically either.

Based on my experience with a single Lava 12 in my 27' x 15' room (and again at a buddy's smaller but totally open room), dual Lava 12's will be pretty decent. And, judging from my experience at the local theaters, he'll actually do really well. Our local theater systems spew chunks. No Imax within 100 miles.

creative>energy

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

No, unfortunately nothing yet. Gene was out for the holiday which I think slowed things down. I will follow up and report back.

Eric
Lava Subs
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM

hmmm... damn the big room...

Maybe i will get 2 12's... i'm still waiting to see the audio tests before i make a final decision...

i could possibly put one close to the couches...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

hmmm... damn the big room...

Maybe i will get 2 12's... i'm still waiting to see the audio tests before i make a final decision...

i could possibly put one close to the couches...

There have been audio tests by members here which have many high dollar subwoofers...just need to look in the thread here
Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Thank you for the detailed pics Strouty. What kind of feet did the Lava come with? I'm wondering if I have to get spiked feet for carpeting.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10thunder View Post

Thank you for the detailed pics Strouty. What kind of feet did the Lava come with? I'm wondering if I have to get spiked feet for carpeting.

I can answer that for you. All Lava Subs come with 3/4 inch rubber feet. So unfortunately you would have to get a set of spiked feet.

Eric
Lava Subs
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

Here is the latest. Gene got back with me and also just posted this on the Audioholics site.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...643#post772643

So hopefully Scott is ok and we hear something back shortly.

Eric
Lava Subs
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Eric,

Thank you for the update.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

Here is the latest. Gene got back with me and also just posted this on the Audioholics site.

All the link says is that no one has heard from Scott for several weeks - it also says they never got the completed review that he had done

I hope he's okay.

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
so seriously....not a single real review by anyone reputible? wow.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

Didn't counsil review it like on page 1?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Yes, Counsil gave an excellent experience review however I think Pure-Evil is talking about a full review with measured frequency responses. Counsil planned on doing that but he was having equipment issues at the time and wasn't able to.
I respect Counsil's opinon of the Lava and have been itching to pull the trigger on two of these just based on his review. But I too would like to see some real measured responses and or the review from Audioholics before opening my wallet.

I think the reason that we haven't seen one yet is because of the perceived level that this sub falls into. I believe that those with the equipment and the means to measure this sub properly just aren't interested in an entry level or bang for the buck sub that the Lava is marketed to be. Even if the measurements for the Lava were to show that it can be flat down to 20hz the majority of them are looking for a sub that can go lower than that.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXORAnG3Xx View Post

Didn't counsil review it like on page 1?

His review was pretty professional in my opinion but this one is good as well where the guy compares it to his high dollar subwoofers
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Just spent the evening running the LS-12 through my version of the LFE torture test...

What an impressive sub for the $$!!!

I have a pic to go along so you can see what it was up against.

Attachment 190249

You can see the size differential between the Seaton SubMersive (HP) and CraigSub's CHT CS 18.1 - its performance is all the more impressive for how small the Lava is.

Of course this $300ish budget sub cannot and truly did not give the other two heavy-weights any realistic SPL or ULF scare, BUT, for the $$ I have to say that I'm completely impressed with the Lava's abilities.

I do have an REW rig, but I didn't get it set up for this session tonight. I ended up having more time than I thought I would in the end, but I just used my Galaxy C-140 SPL meter to get each sub calibrated for the same exact corner-loaded spot in my upper right. My dedicated room is well-treated, though you can see that I'm still figuring out colors because I don't have GOM to cover my acoustic materials, nor my columns where you can see my Dali Mentor 8 main, or paint yet, for that matter. Anyway, after dialing them all in, I just had a blast running all three through multiple demo scenes and music tracks for several really enjoyable hours.

As Counsil said in his review, I'm perhaps most impressed with the Lava's ability to bow completely gracefully out of a passage it just cannot handle. The Lava does this without any hard/ugly mechanical farts. I have had eD and SVS subs that I really liked, but they would make bad noises in their moments of extreme stress - which is a real killer in the "suspend-your-disbelief" magic of HT. If the Lava couldn't produce all of a super-low Hz scene (like parts of FOTP or HTTYD), it just amazingly didn't do it. Simple as that - no extra crap in the sound for the effort. This means that I can trust this little guy to not make me or any one else listening ask, "uh-oh, did you just fry your speaker?!"

BTW, I ran all of them with a consistent -12dB on my AVR's after calibrating them all +5dB over the mains which are dialed in at 75dB.

Without going into every scene, etc., I will just summarize considering how late this is.

The Lava was consistently able to hit just over 100dB at 13' from LP. The most I got out of it was between 106-109dB with my AVR at -12dB on volume. Even though the Lava couldn't match the other's SPL, my couch and walls, etc. were very active with the Lava. It has a very good sound to it - especially considering I was comparing it to sealed subs of a much higher caliber and cost. It had really decent chest pounding to go with its impressive lower-range shake and shudder. By comparison, the 18.1 was hitting about 3-4dB more SPL on the same scenes, and the SubM was another 3-5dB above that (and the SubM has some just crazy abilities to produce "stuff" that defies description - it isn't just louder, but totally immersive and enveloping as well).

Example, in the Spiderman 1 sand-creation scene, the SubM hit 118dB, the 18.1 hit 113dB, and the Lava hit 109dB. This scene routinely hits sub's sweet-spots and gives an indicator to me of how much mid-bass umph they have. Another example is the roll-over scene in FOTP. This is a really wild recording that is all over the Hz, particularly down low. I was so impressed that the Lava didn't just puke on this scene - in fact, it was the 18.1 that was giving off some slight electronic smell immediately after, not the Lava. Similar SPL differences appeared on this scene as well with the SubM hitting 114dB, the 18.1 clocked 110dB, and the Lava ticked in at 106dB. Again, these are not meant to be "highest SPL possible", but rather a test of what each can do with the exact same conditions.

Just FYI, the SubM isn't in its optimal location for this shootout. When it is, I routinely get around 120dB and more at this -12dB volume. The Lava actually did better SPL-wise in this corner-loaded position, so I kept it there and made the SubM and 18.1 come to it.

One fascinating scene from Transformers (btw, rawhide is great and the Lava didn't drop out, but was smooth throughout) is a little after rawhide's rolloever when they shoot the one bot in the chest. There's a really low shudder that the Lava pulled off with a satisfying thump, while the SubM actually produced the ULF and gave off an almost eerie inaudible shaking.

Sorry I don't have graphs - perhaps I'll pull that off this weekend - but, in all the subjective measures I'm totally sold on the bang-for-the-$$ of the Lava. It has a fit and finish that is better than the 18.1, though it is just a plain textured black, it is a very fine texture that is easy on the eyes. It handles its duties with surprising strength and equally impressive grace.

Forgot to talk music - just a quick thumbs-upl. It performed very well and wasn't as muddy as I would have thought. I pushed the AVR to -5dB and let 'er rip. The Lava never quit or disappointed - it as just unexpectedly strong and powerful again for such a little box.

OK, so I'm clearly happy with this thing for the $$. I also enjoyed working with Dan and Brock who were more than helpful. It didn't hurt that I'm only one state away from the Lava guys and received my LS12 in just one day! Unless it just curls up and dies unexpectedly, I'm thrilled and will easily recommend it to others.

I'm glad Counsil took a shot at this - he made me brave to do so also.

Good luck to Lava and any who are looking for a budget sub that really performs on all counts.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

If by 'real review' you mean a professional review, then I think that many were anticipating the one from Audioholics that seems to now be delayed.

As far as 'anyone reputible [sic]' you do a disservice (unintentionally, I'm sure) to the posters here that have reviewed and compared it to more costly and well respected product and found it to hold its own quite nicely.

WOW!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Yes. That's what I meant and sorry it was not intentional
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM

I too am waiting on the reviews.

Debating between 2 of these 12's or the PL200's.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

I hope that dude is ok. That doesn't sound to good.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM

would be nice to see a video of one of the lava's moving some air. my lsp-10 should arrive on monday can't wait... it suck's being subless.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM

UPS dropped off my 2 tens today. Ordered Tue evening and received on friday. Very fast for free shipping.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM

no fair lol can you post some pics of the 10's??? have you tryed them out yet?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Wont be able to try them till tue. Thats when my new Onkyo 608 arrives.
LL
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 PM

oh ic thanks for the pic.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 PM

i couldnt wait for the reviewes and the price for the PL-200 was too good to pass on so i bought 2 PL-200's.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Well I got my 2 10's in the mail today and all I have to say is... WOW I'm impressed! Even though I have only one connected.. The other is my Christmas gift to myself lol!

Also does anyone know if there is a break in period? It sounds good already but I'm just wondering..

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer